3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
2005 TL - Auto w/Navigation: $33,095 + TTF
38.13%
2005 TL - Auto w/Navigation, & full underbody kit w/ install: $34300 + TTF
19.42%
2005 TL - Auto w/Navigation + Full A-Spec Kit: $38,812 + TTF
9.35%
2005 G35 - Auto w/Premium Pkg B, Sport-Tuned Suspension Pkg $32,930 Out the Door.
33.09%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

My dilemma...TL or G35

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 03:24 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elsensei
Well, you could be right. But Autoweek just reviewed last week and said feedback was good with just the right hint of engine note. The dynamics on this car are supposed to be excellent, in fact they said the IS250 was most like the new BMW 3, with the IS350 a touch more refined but still excellent handling.

We shall see. Personally, I will be checking this car out, even though I am not in the market per say. But with the looks, killer interior, killer quality, and long 70k mile Lexus warranty, I could be swayed. Plus with rear drive, 18's, a six-speed auto, and some 50+ foot pounds more torque than the TL with similar curb weight, this thing could be a real category killer. I'll give Lexus the benefit of the doubt untill I drive it and find out if it is a limp noodle or not.

My point was if someone is going to look at a older design G at this late stage, surely they owe it to themselves to check out the newest competition, which is now the IS350.
Point well taken. However, from the Autoweek article, the IS250 is estimated to come in a little below the current IS300's MSRP price of $30,000 (Approx; w/o option packages). If was looking at the IS, I would be looking at the IS350. A little out of my price range, I think. I'm getting the G OTD for $32,500.

Just my
Old 08-15-2005, 06:57 PM
Banned

If you are considering the G35, you should also check out the new IS350 if you can wait about 5 weeks. It looks killer and has some really nice specs compared to the G. The G is nice but remember it is a 4-years old design now, the IS is brand new.

Both the G and new IS are smaller than the TL and especially the 300C, so factor that in as well when deciding what you want.
Actually the G35 is bigger than the IS350 and TL. Look at the specs.

And the G35 was redesigned for 2005, so its not a old design. The IS350 is now more for luxury than sport as well.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tunerman
And the G35 was redesigned for 2005, so its not a old design.
Redesigned, I think, is a little overboard. It was tweaked, but it more or less looks the same.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:25 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, I have to agree with our new G35 owner, I was bowled over with our test drive test. This from a man who was virtually convinced that my 'ooTL would be replaced with a '05 or '06 TL. The engine note, the ready-to-smoke-the tires 280hp and redesgined interior all made quite an impression. I drive the 300C first and it was nice, with plenty of power on tap, but everything was pretty muted: exhause note, road noise, etc. It's more of a cruiser than performer. The G, on the other hand was much livelier, has the cool keyless entry/start, the navi is nice (though the TL wins out here).
3rd, I drove the TL again , and I dunno. Either the G35's power is underrated, or the TL is way overrated, because there's more than a 10hp difference in these auto tranny cars. The TL didn't feel like a slouch, but the G felt ready to spirnt at any moment. I may be a changed man, but the TL's DVD-A, bluetooth, excellent navi, and voice commands are really calling to me. Can they overpower the G35's presence as a driver's car?
Old 08-15-2005, 07:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fast-tl
Either the G35's power is underrated, or the TL is way overrated, because there's more than a 10hp difference in these auto tranny cars. The TL didn't feel like a slouch, but the G felt ready to spirnt at any moment. I may be a changed man, but the TL's DVD-A, bluetooth, excellent navi, and voice commands are really calling to me. Can they overpower the G35's presence as a driver's car?
While the difference in HP is only 10, the real difference in the cars is the low end torque of the G35. That's really what you're feeling. I had the same feelings when I looked at the G35, but in the end I chose the TL.

I was very familiar with the Nissan Navi since I had it in my Maxima. I thought it was a major step back that it's no longer a touch screen. The TL with the voice commands is a vast improvement. But the biggest difference is that you can use the TL Navi fully when the car is moving.

When I got it, I didn't really give much thought to the BT option. But now that I've upgraded my phone I think it might be the best feature of the car. And while the specs may say the G35 is bigger, I found the TL much more comfortable.

Don't let yourself be seduced by just the power. When I've needed the power, the TL has been more than adequate. 99% of the time people don't even challenge you. My Maxima had that low end torque and I was really afraid I'd miss it, but I don't.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:50 PM
I love cars!

Originally Posted by ms2kj
Ok, I've made up my mind. I've decided to go with the G35. I just can't get the G35 test drive out of my mind. The TL is a fine car and if I never had the S2000, it would have been great. But, after considering everything, I just love the way the car handled. And I drove a demo without the sports-tuned suspension package on it. I can't wait to drive the car with the package on it. I'm heading to the dealer today to take delivery.

I'll post pics when I get the car and when I have the chance.

Mike

PICS? Which options did you get?
Old 08-16-2005, 06:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by midas69
While the difference in HP is only 10, the real difference in the cars is the low end torque of the G35. That's really what you're feeling. I had the same feelings when I looked at the G35, but in the end I chose the TL.

I was very familiar with the Nissan Navi since I had it in my Maxima. I thought it was a major step back that it's no longer a touch screen. The TL with the voice commands is a vast improvement. But the biggest difference is that you can use the TL Navi fully when the car is moving.

When I got it, I didn't really give much thought to the BT option. But now that I've upgraded my phone I think it might be the best feature of the car. And while the specs may say the G35 is bigger, I found the TL much more comfortable.

Don't let yourself be seduced by just the power. When I've needed the power, the TL has been more than adequate. 99% of the time people don't even challenge you. My Maxima had that low end torque and I was really afraid I'd miss it, but I don't.

Is the HP difference only 10? Are they both rated using the same method? If not, then the 3.5 VQ could have 22 - 41 ponies over the TL... and between about 27-37 ft lbs of torque. I forget what the acura torque rating is with the different rating system.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:21 AM
Licking Platters Clean

And the G35 was redesigned for 2005, so its not a old design. The IS350 is now more for luxury than sport as well.
It was NOT a redesign, just a mediocre refresh. And the IS350 will present itself as a SERIOUS contender in the sports sedan arena, mark my words. If it doesn't have enough engine note for you, just slap an intake on and there you go.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:37 AM
Cruisin'

PICS? Which options did you get?

First off, I'm glad you like the test drive of the G. That was my exact feeling as well. I was leaning towards getting the TL, but my friend who has a 04 TL and a 05 G35 Sedan (Wife and His) told me to test drive it and that's that.

I'll get the pics up as soon as I can.

Black Ext on Black Int.
Premium Pkg B
Aero Package
Sports-Tuned Suspension Pkg.

Couldn't find one with Navi with the Sports-Tuned Suspension package. Didn't need the Navi, but needed the Sports-Tuned Suspension pkg.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:45 AM
Banned

Well, I have to agree with our new G35 owner, I was bowled over with our test drive test. This from a man who was virtually convinced that my 'ooTL would be replaced with a '05 or '06 TL. The engine note, the ready-to-smoke-the tires 280hp and redesgined interior all made quite an impression. I drive the 300C first and it was nice, with plenty of power on tap, but everything was pretty muted: exhause note, road noise, etc. It's more of a cruiser than performer. The G, on the other hand was much livelier, has the cool keyless entry/start, the navi is nice (though the TL wins out here).
3rd, I drove the TL again , and I dunno. Either the G35's power is underrated, or the TL is way overrated, because there's more than a 10hp difference in these auto tranny cars. The TL didn't feel like a slouch, but the G felt ready to spirnt at any moment. I may be a changed man, but the TL's DVD-A, bluetooth, excellent navi, and voice commands are really calling to me. Can they overpower the G35's presence as a driver's car?
For 2006 the G35 will have everything the TL does and more including Bluetooth.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mickey3c
Is the HP difference only 10? Are they both rated using the same method? If not, then the 3.5 VQ could have 22 - 41 ponies over the TL... and between about 27-37 ft lbs of torque. I forget what the acura torque rating is with the different rating system.
The actual rating of the TL is around 255 hp not 270. Since Acura fixed there overating. Nissan cars are usually underated but they didn't go by they didn't change the hp for the new standard so I am sure it is 280 or 298. The cars dyno 240~ at the wheels, the TL barely gets 220.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:49 AM
Banned

Here is a pic of mine.

Old 08-16-2005, 08:40 AM
Cruisin'

Since Acura fixed there overating.
Saying they over rated the power would only be an accurate statement if it the new and old ratings were done by the same measuring stick. But they are not.

If I were to sell Mountain Dew by the cc and decided to switch to oz, I'd go from selling, say, 400cc bottles to 13.5 oz bottles. Same bottle, same amount of 'The Dew', just a different measurement method.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess people can then agree to that fact the Acura has not lost any HP they just measure differently... So they really have 255 not 270... The previous comment is not really a good example since acura has always reported HP.

The only point I was making was that aside from maybe gearing as well as a few other factors that can impact various track times.. I believe you would feel a 10-15% difference in HP and torque. I know I do when I go from the G to the TL. I also notice a tad less in gas mileage
Old 08-16-2005, 09:47 AM
Cruisin'

We've had the HP rating thread/rant already on the TL so let's just leave it at that.

They are both great cars and if it's HP you want, there are other ways to get it.

Old 08-16-2005, 01:56 PM
I love cars!

^^Back on topic, was there a noticeable difference between the handling and ride of the demo you drove vs. your car with the sport suspension? The one I test drove had the sport suspension and Navi, I believe.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:13 PM
Cruisin'

^^Back on topic, was there a noticeable difference between the handling and ride of the demo you drove vs. your car with the sport suspension? The one I test drove had the sport suspension and Navi, I believe.

Are you talking about the G35 demo vs. the G35 with the Sports pkg? Yes there is a difference. It's even tighter on the road. Still doesn't mean the ride is rough, but then again, that's coming from a S2000 owner.

I really believe IMHO the weight balance between the TL and the G35 make the difference. When I pushed the A-Spec-ed demo TL, compared to the REG. Demo G35, I still felt the bodyroll on the TL greater than the G35 and the TL just felt heavier through semi-hard corners..etc. Not that I'm going to be tracking the G or the TL, but I like sprited driving once in a while.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
If you are considering the G35, you should also check out the new IS350 if you can wait about 5 weeks. It looks killer and has some really nice specs compared to the G. The G is nice but remember it is a 4-years old design now, the IS is brand new.

Both the G and new IS are smaller than the TL and especially the 300C, so factor that in as well when deciding what you want.
Agree. It's worth a test-drive. http://www.tasteoflexus.com/Locations.asp

Any 3GTL'rs are gonna be there??? New York would be the first place to get it a try.

"... Drive the all-new, much-heralded 2006 IS 250 and IS 350. Compare the race-bred suspension, high-output engine and refined appointments to its top competitors – all on a tight, autocross-style drive course..."

I really like to feel this car, inside and outside.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:40 PM
I love cars!

I'm already signed up. The wife likrly won't let me pul the trigger on a G45 til around Xmas anyway, so the Lexus event will come first. It's just that Lexus is typically overpriced for what you get.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:55 AM
Instructor

I am in the same situation, still comtemplating on whether to get the G35 coupe or Tl. I am selling my 2004 G35 sedan this weekend and need to get a replacement soon. I kinda like the G35 coupe exterior more than the Tl but the TL is a notch better. Decisions, decisions... I think I will go test drive both this weekend and see which one i like more.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:13 AM
Instructor

I am in the same situation, still comtemplating on whether to get the G35 coupe or Tl. I am selling my 2004 G35 sedan this weekend and need to get a replacement soon. I kinda like the G35 coupe exterior more than the Tl but the TLs interior is a notch better . Decisions, decisions... I think I will go test drive both this weekend and see which one i like more.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:36 AM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wasabe918
I am in the same situation, still comtemplating on whether to get the G35 coupe or Tl. I am selling my 2004 G35 sedan this weekend and need to get a replacement soon. I kinda like the G35 coupe exterior more than the Tl but the TLs interior is a notch better . Decisions, decisions... I think I will go test drive both this weekend and see which one i like more.
The coupe drives better than the sedan but you are basically getting the same car. Try something different and get a TL. I will say that the 06 coupe now offers bluetooth, rear-active steering, intelli-key, and other cool new techno features but the radio still sucks and its probably a bit slower due to the weight increase.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Teh Jatt
this is how I would pick

G35 coupe > TL
TL > G35 Sedan

Yeah, I was trying to convince a good friend to get the TL (she was at the end of her BMW 325 lease) and she basically felt the same way as mentioned above. She ended up with the G35 coupe which looks NIICE. Since you're family is expanding the sedan would make more sense, therefore I'd choose the TL.

Nick
Old 09-02-2005, 08:51 AM
Cruisin'

Thumbs up Follow up

Hi all,

Just following up, last Saturday, I flew down to Greensboro, NC and picked up a Blk/Blk 2005 G35 Sedan w/ Sports-Tuned Suspension pkg, Premium B Pkg & Splash Guards. My S2000 is gone although it really felt weird giving it up, and It took over a month to decide, but I'm very happy with the decision.

Mike

(EDIT) Here are the pics.

Pic#1

Pic#2

Pic#3

Old 09-02-2005, 10:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by EZZ
The coupe drives better than the sedan but you are basically getting the same car. Try something different and get a TL. I will say that the 06 coupe now offers bluetooth, rear-active steering, intelli-key, and other cool new techno features but the radio still sucks and its probably a bit slower due to the weight increase.
I finally sold my g35 sedan and decided to go for a TL instead of g35 coupe since its going to be a couple of thousands less. and also i agreed that g35 is a g35, no point of geting the same car again.
I test drove the coupe a few times before but still feel that the coupes and the sedans drive very similar, but have to say that 05's sedans better than my 04. any other g35 owner here switching to TL?
Old 09-02-2005, 10:22 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lindros2
Myself and my girlfriend own both cars (2004 TL w/ navi and 2004 G35 with few options) and the G35 is clearly the driver's car. I prefer to drive (and have more miles on the TL); she drives the G35 primarily in the city.

My first word of caution with the G35 is gas mileage: we get ~10-12 MPG in the G35. Highway trips yield 22-24, but this isn't good for a car without all-wheel-drive. I get 30+ MPG on the highway in my TL and ~16 MPG in the city.

The second was that we did the BMW 330i auto-cross event at the Ultimate Drive this year. The BMW was clearly #1, the 2005.5 Audi A4 3.2 quattro was #2, and suprisingly the G35 (fully loaded w/ sport package) was a distant #3. It actually scared us how poorly it performed.

Good luck.

-josh
10-12 mpg in the city? you sure you are not driving a hummer? I never go less than 17 in the city and 23 on the highway in my ex g35 and i dont drive like a grandpa. but i do hope the tl will give me more with gas price in CA going over $3 a gal.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:30 AM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

I finally sold my g35 sedan and decided to go for a TL instead of g35 coupe since its going to be a couple of thousands less. and also i agreed that g35 is a g35, no point of geting the same car again.
I test drove the coupe a few times before but still feel that the coupes and the sedans drive very similar, but have to say that 05's sedans better than my 04. any other g35 owner here switching to TL?
Congrats. The TL is a great car. I'm sure you won't miss your G35 too much (only the times you want a controlled drift ) I found that the sedan drove much higher than my coupe and the stiffer suspension on the coupe felt better. The aggressive tires also help of course. But both are basically the same car so what is the point right.

I think if I were to need a sedan, the IS350 looks like the best option but we'll see what Acura and Infiniti offer in the next couple years.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:39 PM
4th Gear

I was just quoted 32,588.00 + some small fees...to take it to 32,950.ish for a o3 TL Nav in the atlanta area...

I Think they can move on your deal a bit!
Old 09-02-2005, 01:10 PM
Instructor

Actually the G35 is bigger than the IS350 and TL. Look at the specs.

Looks like you were premature in your shot at the IS350, 'course it is hard not to be without even touching one. I suppose you have seen C&D this month:

0-60 5.1
1/4 13.7@104
70-0 167ft

If that is all about the lux where does that leave the G??? With your definition everything short of an M3/S4 is not very sporty...

Vandy
Old 09-02-2005, 01:12 PM
Instructor

Hi all,

Just following up, last Saturday, I flew down to Greensboro, NC and picked up a Blk/Blk 2005 G35 Sedan w/ Sports-Tuned Suspension pkg, Premium B Pkg & Splash Guards. My S2000 is gone although it really felt weird giving it up, and It took over a month to decide, but I'm very happy with the decision.

Mike
BTW great car particularly considering the price!
Old 09-02-2005, 02:28 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by savageTL
BTW great car particularly considering the price!

Thanks, I love it already. It sure doesn't handle like my wife's TL.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:30 PM
Instructor

...With your definition everything short of an M3/S4 is not very sporty...

Vandy

Don't forget about the C55!

But those times for the IS350 are much more impressive than the IS300.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by EZZ
Congrats. The TL is a great car. I'm sure you won't miss your G35 too much (only the times you want a controlled drift ) I found that the sedan drove much higher than my coupe and the stiffer suspension on the coupe felt better. The aggressive tires also help of course. But both are basically the same car so what is the point right.

I think if I were to need a sedan, the IS350 looks like the best option but we'll see what Acura and Infiniti offer in the next couple years.

Thanks. Yeah, I only on the pedal hard when i need to get merge on the freeway or cut in front of ppl. yeah, the IS350 sure looks good but dont know about the price though, its probably out of my price range.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:40 PM
I love cars!

For 2006 the G35 will have everything the TL does and more including Bluetooth.
Actually that's not accurate, as the G doesn't have voice-activated navigation or solar sensing A/C or DVD-Audio.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:46 PM
Pro

G35!!!!!
Old 09-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Nissan cars are usually underated but they didn't go by they didn't change the hp for the new standard so I am sure it is 280 or 298.
huh?
nissan is scared to retest with the new standards.
TL > G sedan
yes i'm just being an ass
Old 09-04-2005, 08:53 AM
Banned

CopyCat!

Hi all,

Mike

(EDIT) Here are the pics.

Pic#1

Pic#2

Pic#3

Old 09-04-2005, 08:54 AM
Banned

10-12 mpg in the city? you sure you are not driving a hummer? I never go less than 17 in the city and 23 on the highway in my ex g35 and i dont drive like a grandpa. but i do hope the tl will give me more with gas price in CA going over $3 a gal.

21 city here, and 25 highway on my 6mt G35.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:56 AM
Banned

Looks like you were premature in your shot at the IS350, 'course it is hard not to be without even touching one. I suppose you have seen C&D this month:

0-60 5.1
1/4 13.7@104
70-0 167ft

If that is all about the lux where does that leave the G??? With your definition everything short of an M3/S4 is not very sporty...

Vandy
FYI, those test results are skewed. After reading a lot of reviews and discussion no one knows how they got it that fast compared to all the other tests of it. It just seems very odd.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:58 AM
Banned

Actually that's not accurate, as the G doesn't have voice-activated navigation or solar sensing A/C or DVD-Audio.
Solar sensing AC? LOL It has dual climate control which works just as good. It has sensors outside the car, inside the car, and it measures the temps and does very well. DVD -Audio, just a gimmick, IMHO it sounds like crap otherwise if you put a regular CD or Satelite playing. Plus there are hardly any CDs out there. I rather have a INDASH MP3 player like the G35 has over a DVDAudio.