Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car accident *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 01:08 PM
'04 TL w/Navi SSM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car accident *PICS*

But im happy im alive and nobody got hurt. A car is metal and that can be replaced.

Got into a terrible accident last 4 weeks ago, the car is still in the garage being repaired. Was estimated at being 11k of damages (original estimate was 7.9k) and im really not sure why its not totaled. I guess Canada has more extreme laws then the states...

Im just happy im alive.. Car can be replaced.

This is what the car has been doing for the past 4 weeks, standing on clamps waiting for the reparation to complete.

Engine untouched, Sauf the batteries had to be removed in case other Air Bags decided they need to pop as well.

Two toned TL! Not feeling it.

Im not sure why the "New" door is Blue (more on this later) as its suppose to be replaced by a black Door then repainted to suite the Satin Silver Metallic color... Frustration ensues.

The whole top deck/roof of the car had to be removed to replace the 3 air bags that popped (not to mention the 3rd air bag still inside the seat).

Frustration ensues...

Front side wasnt damaged at all, if there was a simple 1k damage to the engine the car would of been officially declared scrapped - kinda wish that would of been the case.

Fucking technician fucking up my dashboard with his screw drivers. Frustration ensues...

That 5th Air bag, ripped the 7 layers of leather and created a deafening noise.

Here is that new door, notice how the trimming nor the color of this new door doesn't match the other doors? What the fuck are the body shop crew smoking?

Said unmatched door in detail and close up.

Rear top view (From inside)... Everything taken apart.

Rear exterior view, Notice the whole right body cut off and replaced by a new one? Back bumper including A-Spec kit being replaced as well.

Disgusting.

Old door.

And here it is, the damage area in a single shot. Theres about 11,000$ of damages here, the original estimate was 7,900$

Frustration ensues... Once its ready (sometime next week) can anyone advice me on what to check for and what i should place close attention to? Ill be monitoring the car inch by inch anyways... Just hope i don't see any scratches or tear/wear on places where there wasnt any before it went to the garage GRRRRR...
Old 04-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
just glad that you are safe.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:14 PM
B A N N E D

dude this really sucks... If i were to see my car ripped in so many places i would die. I really dont think they got you a new door, but another one from another wrecked Tl that was blue with camel or that other light color. i would try to get rid of that car asap. as it will never be the same...
Old 04-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
That hurts just looking at it. Good to hear your OK.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
the door is definatly from a wrecked TL. Honda ships their door panels in black primer only. call the insurance company and bitch that you want only genuine honda factory replacement parts not junkyard specials to save them cash.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:38 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
so they are using used parts on your car? new parts should be flat black (like your c-pillar).

glad you're safe, I would find out why they are using used painted doors.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:40 PM
'04 TL w/Navi SSM

I really dont think they're going to be using that door panel and then coloring it SSM? Are they? How about the trimming inside, what would they do with that?

I didnt make much of it when i first saw it, thought they were using it as reference until they get the proper door installed...
Old 04-05-2007, 01:52 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is insane. Dude, not to call out any of you on this forum who are in the auto body repair business, but this gives businesses like that a really bad name. I would flip-out if I saw this stuff happening.

Slammed_JDM said it best: i would try to get rid of that car asap. as it will never be the same...

I would also tear your insurance provider a new one for the door issue, for allowing the body shop to use a used door that is. If they use that door instead of a brand new, that is absolutely unlawful.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New body parts from the factory are flat black. Maybe they were using that door as a place-holder to do the rest of the body work while the new door is on order? I mean, they can't replace the interior trim to make it look right. Well, I guess they could but considering the cost and... That'd just look... odd!

Bottom line: You're typically entitled to NEW factory parts. If the repair shop using used parts and if your insurance company is allowing it, something ain't Kosher.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:32 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
worst part is it appears that the old door which is lying on the ground in one of the pics isn't damaged very much and could be repaired with just a door skin.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
11k... WOw, that shop is making atleast 5k in profit. and the reason the door is blue is because they bought it from a junk yard and not from acura. sShop's always make a estmite based on dealer list prices but always try to buy used parts from yards. good luck though.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:51 PM
'04 TL w/Navi SSM

So are the repair shops allowed to use old body parts such as that used blue door? As said above it might just be a place holder until they fit in the original one (when they recieve it?).

Ill have more pics tonight.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Yes that is a used door panel. Insurance companys require body shops to use used parts on car as early as 90 days. If the car is past 90 days used parts are used, before only new.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:10 PM
My Daily Driver

wow...that's crazy. Glad you are OK though!!!

Do you happen to have pics of the damage? Just curious to see what 11K in damages looks like.....that's insane!
Old 04-05-2007, 03:21 PM
I've been Canonized ;)

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
Yes that is a used door panel. Insurance companys require body shops to use used parts on car as early as 90 days. If the car is past 90 days used parts are used, before only new.
I wouldn't accept used parts, if nothing else I would contact the lien holder and see what they think about "their" car being put together with used parts. I'm sure laws differ state by state and country by country, but that smells bad to me

Glad no one was hurt
Old 04-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Racer

Most insurance policies have a clause that allows use of 'like' parts in place of new parts. This includes salvage parts and aftermarket (non OEM) parts.

Now, if the body shop is charging your insurance company for new parts and putting 'like' parts on, well that is insurance fraud on the body shops part.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
glad to c ur alright. if the shop doesn't end up using new parts, imho- get rid of the car.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:38 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I am not an autobody man but do have many autobody friends.

This isn't anything new. Doing autobody work isnt easy. All that "Dust" you see if because they sand down the body. Its a common thing in all autobody work. Nobody is smoking and if that was the real case someone would be on the floor right now calling for 911.

Time is money, do you really think they give a shit how the door looks now? They are going to sand and prime down 1/3 of the side. Then they will paint the car and also BLEND the paint into other areas. They are not going to paint the entire car so if they can't prep/paint/blend correct you will see it.

As for the door panel if the old one is in good shape why wouldn't they just swap it over.. Its not apart of the door as a perm. piece. They do come off. That entire job will cost them 4-5k and they will pocket the rest. Autobody are only allowed to charge XX an hour due to insurance compaines. A good suggestion for everyone is instead of bashing another profession which a majority of users know nothing about do some research on body work.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:46 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
BTW, your old door is 100% repairable.

And Blending of the paint takes real skill for the naked eye not to catch. either way its not going to be the same in the end. As for the different used parts, as long as it does the job in their eyes and its prepaired in the end and done with it doesn't make a difference.

Simple thing. Your old door would have taken about 2 hours tops to fix and will cost less, a new door cost more but is less than 2 hours to prep/paint and install.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Stock 07 TL NBP

ONE BIG ADVICE, trade in your car because it will never be the same way as yo originally got it. I am scared you will start hating TL's, before that happens trade it in.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Pro

Check Canadian (Montreal) law regarding using junk yard parts as replacements. I assume $11k is in Canadian dollars, but it still sounds quite pricey. Your original door does not look that bad, and I don't know why they cannot repair that instead of using a junk yard door. I think the body shop is making quite a bit of money in this deal.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:06 PM
'04 TL w/Navi SSM

Originally Posted by johnny--2k
wow...that's crazy. Glad you are OK though!!!

Do you happen to have pics of the damage? Just curious to see what 11K in damages looks like.....that's insane!
Thanks, and no i didnt have a chance to take pics of the accident but it really wasnt all too bad.

As for more pics, well i just came from the dealer and its still hasnt changed any since the above pics. Im getting really frustrated with all this since the car was suppose to be ready THIS past monday...

Now with easter, its going to take even longer time.

Im going to call the insaurance and see what they charged for step by step, if they charged for a new door ill be asking the dealer why a new one isnt installed rather then a used on.

I really hope the end product will be "like new" and the paint matches to a point where the eye cannot tell.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
once you get it back, sell the car.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:47 PM
Banned

what the FUCK are they doing to your car? If i was there... I'd.. !@#$%^&*()!@#$%^@#^%#$%@#% . and then i'd &*^#*$^*(^@#$@#(^$*(&#^$*(@#^
Old 04-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Advanced

Glad you're alive. Just make sure you have somebody with you to inspect the car after the work is done and document everything, that way you can always get back with your insurance if there are issues/disputes, if any.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:55 PM
'06 AM A-SPEC TL w/NAV

Wow I'm glad you're ok.

Just looking at your car I can tell that there is major frame damage to the vehicle.
If you were in another car accident with the same vehicle you might not be as safe as it was once before.

Sell it man... and move on with your life.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Racer

there's always the possibility that they were just going to strip the trim from the old door and replace the camel interior with that since it's not in bad condition... or use the blue door for reference like everyone else said? see what they say... good luck! and who knows, my mom's car was almost totaled in 94 six months after we'd bought it and it's still running just fine after 200+k miles... give it a chance, but be careful... If you don't like what they did, make sure you let them know immediately
Old 04-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Advanced

I'm surprise your insurance co. did not write off the car. You would be better off getting the 07 Type-s with that money. Your car will never be the same again. IMO..........
Old 04-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Word of advice for all - Never agree to see your car while it is in the shop.

I would "come unglued" like the OP did if I had to see any of my cars "on the operating table".

Like many things in life, somethings are best to be left unknown. What you don't know won't hurt you - at least in this case.

I have had several cars in the body shop in the past. I would had never wanted, nor did I, to see them UNTIL the shop said "Come and get it; It's ready". Then, and only then, do you agree to view the car. Look for paint overspray on undamaged areas such as windows and undamaged panels, check switches such as lock/unlock to make sure they work, see if all windows SMOOTHLY roll down/up. But, be warned, you will see white or grey colored dried-up "crap" on the car in various places. Don't freak. It is just rubbing compounded that got splattered by the electric buffing wheel. It washes off. Look for swirls in the paint, which is visible under bright light. This is from agressive buffing to prep the car. Most shops will leave the effected areas with these swirls (time is money to them).

In conclusion - NEVER EVER see your car until they say "Come and get it; It's ready".
Old 04-05-2007, 11:22 PM
Gi0
3rd Gear

To add on to what Inaccurate mentioned for things to check.....

- You should make sure the door and trunks open/closes easily.
- If your really anal like me, you can even check to see if the gaps for everything is not too tight or wide.
- Check the areas where they welded your rear corner panel. Chances are after they welded the piece on, they then grinded it down and laid some Bondo on it to smooth everything out. Hopefully these guys are good body men cause if they are you wont see a thing.
- Also, if they did grind down any of their welding, check your entire car thorougly. If they dont clean the car properly right when they've grinded. As time passes, the debri can get all over the car and leave tiny little rust spots all over the damn place.
-Since your airbag deployed, make sure your SRS light works properly. When you turn your car on the light should come on and then turn off. I've run into some cars before where people have blacked out the light.
-Lastly, when you get the chance run some water over the areas they worked on to check for leaks.

That's all I can think of for now, hopefully I've helped out in some way. GL with everything, be sure to post pictures when you get it back finished
Old 04-06-2007, 12:29 AM
'04 TL w/Navi SSM

You guys have been awesome, i appreciate all the help and advice i can get.

Yes the car looks like its in bad condition but remember its just body work, the real mechanics of the car hasnt been damaged (ie: Engine). As for the pictures, yes it looks terrible, but thats because they've removed everything and its at the peak of the reperation process, all should be well within a week or so. I have trust (gasp) in the dealer. As long as everything looks 100% legit when i get the car back i should be happy, i dont see why some body work would effect the 'ride' of the car unless im not clue'd in on something.

Again, thanks for the criticisms and the help, i appreciate them both. Btw guys i plan on keeping the car for another year and then well i have some tricks up my sleeve
Old 04-06-2007, 07:09 AM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Your car wasnt totaled?? You should have tried to talk to the insurance claim adjuster and get him to total it like I did. I had a 2006 Audi A3. When he came I pointed out every single thing that was wrong and he added everything up and said it might be. Then I gave him the sad face and said once a car is in an accident its never the same again even if repaired by the dealer. I guess he rethought it and told the insurance company it was totaled ..

But i guess it wayyyy to late for you to do that so like everyone else is saying, once you get it back sell it, but sorry to say that when you goto sell it and the dealer or person buying it takes a carfax of it, it says everything. Good luck with that and sorry to hear the bad news, but on the good side, youre not hurt and the car is a peice of metal thats replaceable.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:49 AM
black on black 04 TL 6MT

glad to hear you're ok. that's some crazy stuff there. our dealership has a body shop and they repair with used parts VERY often. they will probably sand off the paint on the used door, primer with the rest of the vehicle, and paint/blend. more than likely they will replace the interior panel with a new matching panel. it happens A LOT.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:41 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it all fixed up yet ???? Any new progress pictures?