Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Brake Job Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Elegance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Brake Job Issue

Long story short, I bought Rotora rotors with ceramic CMAX pads from Autozone and my rotors surface got rusty and are now ruined ($400 later, didn't think it was possible).

Now I need new pads/rotors. I like the zinc rotors from brakeperformance.com (slotted or dimpled/slotted) and I also like the CMAX pads that I have had on (no squealing/brake dust).

My questions are here: the rep on brakeperformance.com said don't use ceramic pads as it will wear down the rotors faster, but other people say that ceramic is softer and will wear them down less. Can someone clarify?

I can get a set of slotted rotors (4) for $230 shipped and cmax pads for $95 or dimpled slotted for $340 shipped with free semi metallic pads (or you can upgrade to better semi-metallic for $80). What setup would you suggest?

Thank you,
Chris
Old 12-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
I don't know about it wearing the rotors down faster, but if I were you I would opt for EBC red stuff!

and EBC rotors if you can afford the extra $$. Good quality stuff!
Old 12-05-2011, 09:26 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Can you clarify about "rotors surface got rusty and are now ruined". All rotors get surface rust, it's normal and goes away as soon as you brake.

If you're talking about hubs/edges, etc, those can be painted.

Or do you mean something else?

Maybe pics would help.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:45 PM
Elegance

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Can you clarify about "rotors surface got rusty and are now ruined". All rotors get surface rust, it's normal and goes away as soon as you brake.

If you're talking about hubs/edges, etc, those can be painted.

Or do you mean something else?

Maybe pics would help.
On the back side of the rotors the rust is so bad, it makes a loud grinding noise when I brake and the pedal vibrates. They are not warped and it was confirmed by my mechanic. I will 100% be posting pics when I take them off my car to put the new ones on.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:58 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
:hmmm:

Something sure sounds wrong; don't think I've heard of that before. In for pics.

How old are the rotors? If they're defective, are they too old to get credit/return?
Old 12-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Elegance

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
:hmmm:

Something sure sounds wrong; don't think I've heard of that before. In for pics.

How old are the rotors? If they're defective, are they too old to get credit/return?
I got them from Excellerate and I had them for about 15 months. They were rusted in spring so they lasted about 8-10 months in good working condition. They can't be turned, but I will wait until I see for myself how bad it is.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Any rust that will accumulate on the rotor brake surface will dissipate shortly after brake application, and yes some will sound rather harsh until the rust is gone.

I've seen pads that were replaced and didn't sit in the exact same area as the pads they replaced, and they will make a horrible sound if the rotor wasn't cut and will continue to make that sound until the rotor area is smoothed by the new pads, and that can take quite some time.

Actually ceramic pads are less abrasive than semi-mettalic, have lighter colored dust, but there are many variations of ceramic pads depending on the manufacturer.

Can't wait to see the pics.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by lavo
My questions are here: the rep on brakeperformance.com said don't use ceramic pads as it will wear down the rotors faster, but other people say that ceramic is softer and will wear them down less. Can someone clarify?
Thank you,
Chris

This is just my understanding.. from a lot of reading but I also could have read the wrong things... but...

from what I understand Ceramic does less wear to the rotors because of the material.. semi-metallic and other that "bite" more do more wear to the rotors

one of the reasons why cermic usually costs more that other pads.. well otuside of performance pads

Dont have the articles to back up what I said just years of doing my own pads and research
Old 12-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Holy cow lavo, thanks for the heads up. I was just considering these for the RDX as they supposedly have better stopping power... I'll stick with the factory rotors now.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Holy cow lavo, thanks for the heads up. I was just considering these for the RDX as they supposedly have better stopping power... I'll stick with the factory rotors now.
I certainly wouldn't put any credence into the OP's description or even consider the Rotora to be a problem until we see the pics. Been around a long time and have never heard/seen the pad area of the rotor surface rust as described. I've seen the drilled rotors rust and bleed from the holes/vanes as well as the hat and outer circumference of the rotor rust.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
The OP sent me an email regarding this. He lets the car sit for extended periods of times outside. Rust/oxidation will build up and be difficult to remove after months of not driving a vehicle. However, the rotors aren't ruined. And the pads should be fine. All they will need is a slight machining to remove the rust and some sanding of the pads. There is no need to buy new components.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Just drive it. The more you drive, the more rust disappears. The rust is due to the rain.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Elegance

Originally Posted by Excelerate
The OP sent me an email regarding this. He lets the car sit for extended periods of times outside. Rust/oxidation will build up and be difficult to remove after months of not driving a vehicle. However, the rotors aren't ruined. And the pads should be fine. All they will need is a slight machining to remove the rust and some sanding of the pads. There is no need to buy new components.
My mechanic said they cannot be machined. I can't see the backs, but know that the car vibrates while braking and is very loud. I am interested to see what the back side looks like. Rather than tell him that he is wrong and take them off and have him wait for me to look at them, I would rather just buy new ones and have the job done.

Regardless if it sits, they should not be ruined, I have drove it almost every day over summer/fall but has not gone away after the damage from the winter/spring.

I am interested to see exactly what they look like, as of now, I am going off what my mechanic told me.

Chris
Old 12-06-2011, 05:05 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
Originally Posted by FCVadi
This is just my understanding.. from a lot of reading but I also could have read the wrong things... but...

from what I understand Ceramic does less wear to the rotors because of the material.. semi-metallic and other that "bite" more do more wear to the rotors

one of the reasons why cermic usually costs more that other pads.. well otuside of performance pads

Dont have the articles to back up what I said just years of doing my own pads and research
It may be all up to specific formulation, but Centric claims their Ceramic comounds are more harsh on rotors with more dust, but have higher friction and fade resistance:

They make a lot of different compounds (more than shown here)... http://www.centricparts.com/index.ph...149&Itemid=224
The following users liked this post:
FCVadi (12-07-2011)
Old 12-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
^ very interesting.. learned something new... going to have to do more digging.. well for my education.. I know I am going with new rotors and most likely EBC in the spring.. but I like to know more about the above... thanks!
Old 12-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
My mechanic said they cannot be machined....
Yeah, and if I had a dollar for every time I've seen this falsely stated, I'd be a hundredaire.

Ask your mechanic what he measured the rotor thickness to be. I'll bet you he can't answer that question. Why, because he didn't do it. If he didn't measure it, then in no way does he have a clue if the rotors can be turned or not.

But even if the rotors can be turned, I wouldn't, nor is it even needed. Some sand paper and a little elbow grease will solve your problem.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
My mechanic said they cannot be machined. I can't see the backs, but know that the car vibrates while braking and is very loud. I am interested to see what the back side looks like. Rather than tell him that he is wrong and take them off and have him wait for me to look at them, I would rather just buy new ones and have the job done.

Regardless if it sits, they should not be ruined, I have drove it almost every day over summer/fall but has not gone away after the damage from the winter/spring.

I am interested to see exactly what they look like, as of now, I am going off what my mechanic told me.

Chris
There is no reason to replace them. All you need to do is remove the rust. And it doesn't matter what brand of rotors you have rust/oxidation will build up on them if exposed to the elements. It's normal. The only way to prevent it is to do a zinc coating, which most companies won't do on a 1 piece disc. Or if you drive the car at least once a week it will burn off the build up. But months of build up is difficult to burn off.