Sponsored by:

My 6spd TL hesitates under slight throttle

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 08:51 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 6spd TL hesitates under slight throttle

Hey guys,

I don't post much on this board, I'm usually over at NSXPRIME, but I was wondering if someone can help me out. I just picked up a 6spd navi. for my wife about 2 months ago. We love the car big time!! however we have noticed that the car has developed a hesitation under slight throttle application. Most of the time it happens while driving calmly, meaning shifting at 4,000 or so rpms. It's fairly noticeable, if we keep the car in gear rather then shifting it goes away above 4500RPM. Also, if I mash the throttle and shift at redline the problem isn't there. At first I thought it might be bad fuel, but I have tried several different gas stations, still the same result. Another thought I had was maybe the oil consumption computer de-tunes the engine when the oil life goes below a certain percentage, well I changed the oil and reset the computer and the problem is still there. So I finally just broke down and called the dealer. I was told over the phone that this is normal for TLs and currently there is no fix for it !?!?! Also one another side note, we have also noticed that coming off a dead stop, unless we rev the engine and slip the clutch the car seems lethargic off the line. If we start off nice and easy, get the clutch engaged with no wheel spin and then mat the pedal the car doesn't bolt off, it just trucks along slowly until VTEC. To give you an idea of how sluggish it is I could disable the TCS in the rain, get the car going nice and easy and floor it at 1500rpm and the car won't break the tires loose. This doesn't seem right, even my Element will bust the tires loose for a second or to in the rain, and the NSX will sit and spin (and the NSX has less torque at a higher RPM). Although this isn't a scientific test it seems to be a good way to prove a lack of power, or at least something strange going on.

What do you guys think? Has anyone else had similar issues?
Old 07-09-2004, 10:39 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the dealer is giving you BS! I have a 6mt and I don't get any hesitation at any RPM. The engine is very "turbine like" and is silky smooth. I haven't tried breaking loose the tires in the rain with TC off, but I believe that if I tried, the tires would spin out of control but I haven't tried it at 1500RPM's.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:57 AM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Something's not right. You should take it in and have them test drive it. It sounds like the throttle is not opening 100%, but it could be many things.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:55 AM
Reelect Al Gore!

I have a 5AT, but I have noticed the same thing, though it doesn't sound like it's to the same extant that you have. I usually get a little hesitation from the throttle when I am coming out of a very slow turn after having had coasted into the turn. If I accelerate from insertion through the apex of the turn, I don't see this happen since the throttle is constant.

So, after talking with a few of my other TL friends and duplicating this behavior with their cars, I decided that it was due to the 'Drive-by-Wire' technology used for the accelerator.

I called the dealer and asked what they thought and they told me that I was actually correct. They don't really treat it as a 'bug' so much as a 'feature' of the drive-by-wire. That didn't make me completely happy, but it happens so rarely and I can usually predict when it will. So, for me, it's not that big of a deal.

Hope that helps and if you hear more information regarding this, or find out about a fix, I would love to hear about it.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:54 PM
4th Gear

hhmmm.....I think I should definitely bring it in, if anything so I could drive another TL and try to duplicate the problem.

My TL is the one we test drove and I'm sure when I bought it the problem didn't exist. I would have definitely felt it. When we drove it during the test drive it had no hesitation and torque steer was very noticable. Now, the car doesn't have much torque steer until the high RPMs, it just feels like it's missing umph!! Since my wife drives the car I can't say for sure when it started, however she noticed it about about 3 weeks ago (with roughly 4000 miles on the car)

What do you guys think about VTEC being screwed up and possiblely stuck in the High RPM settings?? This would explain hesitation and a lack of torque at low RPMs.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:11 PM
Pro

Sounds like problems to me. I don't know anything about drive by wire, but my 6MT doesn't seem sluggish at all off the line, or anything. If I mashed the throttle at 1500RPM, in the rain w/o VSA, the tires would be spinning for a while. The only time I notice a bit of hesitation, is shifting normally with the A/C on full blast, but that is my fault, not the car's.

I think the ECU remembers the way you drive, or the last 100 events or something and tunes the engine accordingly. In other words, if you drive like an old lady for a long time, and then try to open it up, you might notice something.

There was a post on this somewhere, and I'd give credit but I'm too lazy to search right now.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:53 PM
Burning Brakes

check 4 blockage in the air intake/filter