Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 6MT One Month Report

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 04:35 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up My 6MT One Month Report

My 6MT has no vibration, rattles or flatspotting. The EL42's which I originally was disappointed in getting when I found out it cam with them (ordered it in August) I dont think the tires are all that bad. I drove through 3 snow storms here already and a few rainy days and they grip better then I ever thought. But the thread depth seems shallow. As soon as they wear out I guess I'll get the Michelins Piolet a/s or any other better rated tires then the EL42s. I have been inspecting it for 600 miles listening carefully and it seems perfect. The only sound I hear is the motor "roar" when accelerating hard. It drives good smooth and fast. The only problem I found so far is that 3 panels are slighty out of "align" the trunk is about 1/4" more gap on one side then the other and the front drivers side fender has a 1/4" gap above the headlamp housing while the other side is flush; and the rear pass side door is about 1/4" pertruding as compared to the rear quarter panel. The other thing is the gas mileage on the last 3 tanks showed 16 on the MID, maybe its still breaking in but & I drive in Manhattan NYC which has alot of traffic.

Old 01-13-2004, 06:48 PM
Instructor

The only problem I found so far is that 3 panels are slighty out of "align" the trunk is about 1/4" more gap on one side then the other and the front drivers side fender has a 1/4" gap above the headlamp housing while the other side is flush; and the rear pass side door is about 1/4" pertruding as compared to the rear quarter panel.
Sounds like more than one problem. I'd be pretty pissed if all those panels were that way. That's not saying much about QC. MAybe it was built on a Monday.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
I drive a lot in Manhattan, too. I got 13-19 MPG, 5AT. In the first month, I truly felt the stiff suspension while rolling in bumpy and stop&go city roads. (I know this suspension is still too soft for most of sporty enthusiasts. But those cars in CA are definitely unable to drive in Manhattan.)

More and more ruckus has intruded into my car, especially the driving noise between EL42s and roads' surfaces. I have 6k now.

What's your color? I ever saw Blue near Wall Street, and Silver near Lincoln Center. Mine is Deep Green.

Where did you park usually? I always use my 610 to shoot my mileage prior to giving my car to those lizards.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Thanks for your update. Too bad about the panels. I have an early build car and don't have any of those fit and finish issues.

Glad you're enjoying the car!
Old 01-13-2004, 09:49 PM
Intermediate

Your fit and finish problems seem somewhat unique. I checked mine out very carefully this last weekend (first wash and wax). The alignment of body panels was perfect. I'd be pretty upset to buy a $35K car and have it built like that.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:05 PM
Racer

rets, I've been in a couple of scrapes with the "lower it and put on bigger wheels" guys. I opine that lowering, stiffer springs and bigger wheels will make the ride a bit too stiff and find myself thoroughly reprimanded by those who "know" better. Since I find my 6MT with Goodyear F1s to be quite supple, I fear that you would not fit among the youngie lower and stiffer crowd.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:53 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by technogeek
Your fit and finish problems seem somewhat unique. I checked mine out very carefully this last weekend (first wash and wax). The alignment of body panels was perfect. I'd be pretty upset to buy a $35K car and have it built like that.
No, I am also one who has the fit and finish issues, and have read of others.

I have the front drivers fender that is off on the head light near the grill, and then the hood is not aligned correctly on both sides (most likely from the fender being off) then I have the drivers rear door not fully in on the back edge, and the lower rocker molding on the drivers side was in about 3/8" behind the front wheel (that was the easiest to fix), but no way am I having the techs align the rest! I guess the person working on the right side of my car was having a bad day.

I have read 4 or 5 other posts on the alignment issues.