Sponsored by:

My 2004 TL Seats are a mess! Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 01:22 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 2004 TL Seats are a mess! Advice needed

Hi all,

It's no secret to anyone here that the 2004 leather was a disaster. I am looking for advice on whether to replace the leather or get nice seat covers. I have a Blue Pearl exterior with Grey interior. I have done searching here, and based on what I have read, I have come up with the following alternatives, from least expensive to most:

Coverking - Looks like they are around $200 for the kit? Doesn't look like really a custom fit? I could not find good information
IGGEE Seat Covers from ebay. $360. I believe somebody on the forum posted nice pictures of theirs. Seems like a good budget option
Endless RPM - $500. They seem to look really nice. Perforated leather in seating areas. Covers, not replacement leather. I think I am leaning towards this right now, with best balance between looks and cost for my budget. 6-8 week delivery time though, wow! I've waited this long though.
Auto Custom Leathers - $800 - $1000? Are they still a sponsor here? Seems like quality stuff. They are not far from me, I am in CT, they are in MA, not sure if pickup option can save money
Leatherseats.com - $1000 Looks like high quality stuff. Nice website. Not sure if I can justify $1000 for a car who's KBB value is about $3000.

One big consideration for me is the ease of installation. From what I have read, it seems like the covers are easier to install than replacement leather? I know it literally takes me about twice as long to do anything like this than the average person. Any advice anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. If you have had any experience with any of the above, or have other suggestions, that would be great. My TL has been a great car for me that has been super reliable, hoping to keep it going for some more years!
Old 08-01-2017, 01:38 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,008 Likes on 1,410 Posts
I would also suggest checking your local area for a custom leather shop; several years ago I bought a car which didn't offer leather seats in the model I wanted (still cannot figure out why many Asian cars require an automatic transmission to have leather); a local shop did a very nice job making a custom leather (seating surfaces)/faux-leather (backs and sides) for about $900, and that included the installation.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:45 PM
Advanced

Thanks for your feedback, I did check years ago with one local shop, and it was going to be outrageously expensive. I also had made arrangements with a local guy who was offering an excellent price, and got scammed.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:53 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by jake14mw
Thanks for your feedback, I did check years ago with one local shop, and it was going to be outrageously expensive. I also had made arrangements with a local guy who was offering an excellent price, and got scammed.
The shop I used had a relationship with the dealership I purchased the car from; I suspect if I'd gotten scammed the dealership would have dropped them in a heartbeat.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:56 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
if you like the look of the endless RPM covers; grab them!! because what you are looking for is ease of installation...and dont care to spend a grand on leathers...

i personally think the endless RPM covers are gaudy! wouldnt be caught dead with them
but you are looking for ease of installation.

I would do leatherseats.com but they are full replacements and are a little harder to install.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:03 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by justnspace
if you like the look of the endless RPM covers; grab them!! because what you are looking for is ease of installation...and dont care to spend a grand on leathers...

i personally think the endless RPM covers are gaudy! wouldnt be caught dead with them
but you are looking for ease of installation.

I would do leatherseats.com but they are full replacements and are a little harder to install.
I feel the same way, leatherseats.com or bust. I could care less if my car was actually worth less than the cost of the seats, if I needed new seat covers and was planning on keeping the car for several more years, then even the full-boat $1,700 treatment would be worth it.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 02:13 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Stay away from Iggee. I had a set for the two front seats, and less than a year later the vinyl already started cracking.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:19 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
my goal was 10 years with the TL, i'm quickly approaching 8 years of ownership and dont see myself jumping ship ANY TIME, soon or in the future.
with that being said, the seats are what I touch every day and wouldnt hesitate to drop the grand or so on the full replacements via Leatherseats.com

i've never done full replacements but i'm always up for a challenge! (it'll be tough!!!)

I just cant stand the "VIP LUXURY DIAMOND STITCH" pattern on the Endless covers. but this is why we have options!
Old 08-01-2017, 02:55 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by justnspace
I just cant stand the "VIP LUXURY DIAMOND STITCH" pattern on the Endless covers. but this is why we have options!
One of the 6MT cars I looked at earlier this year seemed to have it all, low miles, fair price, full records, uncracked dash, clean straight body with no rust...

Then I opened the door and noticed the seat covers; they looked like complete crap, I closed the door, got back into my old Honda, and drove away.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (08-02-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 03:13 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I'm going to copy and paste what I've experienced with Leatherseats.com

I can only speak for leatherseats.com. My wife had gotten me the full 100% leather kit from leather seats. It was to replace my worn leather in my 2004 TL. She got a discount because she ordered the kit on black friday. I paid extra for the shift boot but I should have also paid for the E-brake boot as well. Included in my kit: All interior seats (including headrests), all door panel arm rests and center console. Seats were a two tone color with double contrasting stitching. I did the install myself which you can see in my build thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...878670/page13/ (Page 13, just scroll down). The kit was a bit harder to install due to the fact it's the 100% full leather kit and it was thicker (Padding). Took me about 3 days to complete . Overall cost was $1,100? give or take. Now, if you go with their basic kit, you would pay about $799 and that's the entire interior. I'm sure if you mention you show this installed by someone on Acurazine, they might help with cost (I'd ask, but no guarantees). It brought new life into my TL. The interior had seen better days, though i'm very OCD with my TL. Even what I consider worn, was still a lot better than most other TL's around the same year. I know some will say even $799 is too much, which if you look at the cost per panel for OEM skin it's still cheaper than doing just one seat with the OEM stuff. Another option for those that want something cheaper is the slip on covers that Bruce sells. You could get a single color replacement Acura TL seat cover replacements or a custom color replacement Acura TL Diamond Pattern Seat Replacements - Custom color - EndLess RPM. Cheaper than leatherseats.com but keep in mind, these are just slip on covers. So you won't need to remove the existing leather seats to install them. They are still covers when compared to leatherseats.com which is replacement leather. You must contact Bruce to see if he has them in stock, I know they take a very long time to get even with the expedited service (4 weeks). I am not a fan of replacing just a section at a time. It never looks right when its new vs old, but if it works, it works. Here are some photos of my interior done.

Now, I do have my stock leather skins and it's from my 2004 TL, in moonlake gray color. I'm not sure how bad your seats are, but I took my time removing the seat leather off the seats. If you want them, let me know. You can visit my build thread, scroll down and you will see the installation of the leather and the condition of the stock leather.
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...878670/page13/
The following 2 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
horseshoez (08-01-2017), justnspace (08-02-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 03:20 PM
Latent car nut

^Now that's what I'm talking about!
Old 08-01-2017, 05:43 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g.../#post16063867
Old 08-01-2017, 08:13 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
I'm going to copy and paste what I've experienced with Leatherseats.com

I can only speak for leatherseats.com. My wife had gotten me the full 100% leather kit from leather seats. It was to replace my worn leather in my 2004 TL. She got a discount because she ordered the kit on black friday. I paid extra for the shift boot but I should have also paid for the E-brake boot as well. Included in my kit: All interior seats (including headrests), all door panel arm rests and center console. Seats were a two tone color with double contrasting stitching. I did the install myself which you can see in my build thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...878670/page13/ (Page 13, just scroll down). The kit was a bit harder to install due to the fact it's the 100% full leather kit and it was thicker (Padding). Took me about 3 days to complete . Overall cost was $1,100? give or take. Now, if you go with their basic kit, you would pay about $799 and that's the entire interior. I'm sure if you mention you show this installed by someone on Acurazine, they might help with cost (I'd ask, but no guarantees). It brought new life into my TL. The interior had seen better days, though i'm very OCD with my TL. Even what I consider worn, was still a lot better than most other TL's around the same year. I know some will say even $799 is too much, which if you look at the cost per panel for OEM skin it's still cheaper than doing just one seat with the OEM stuff. Another option for those that want something cheaper is the slip on covers that Bruce sells. You could get a single color replacement Acura TL seat cover replacements or a custom color replacement Acura TL Diamond Pattern Seat Replacements - Custom color - EndLess RPM. Cheaper than leatherseats.com but keep in mind, these are just slip on covers. So you won't need to remove the existing leather seats to install them. They are still covers when compared to leatherseats.com which is replacement leather. You must contact Bruce to see if he has them in stock, I know they take a very long time to get even with the expedited service (4 weeks). I am not a fan of replacing just a section at a time. It never looks right when its new vs old, but if it works, it works. Here are some photos of my interior done.

Now, I do have my stock leather skins and it's from my 2004 TL, in moonlake gray color. I'm not sure how bad your seats are, but I took my time removing the seat leather off the seats. If you want them, let me know. You can visit my build thread, scroll down and you will see the installation of the leather and the condition of the stock leather.
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...878670/page13/
Wow, first, your seats look amazing! You are an advertisement for leatherseats.com! Second, I really appreciate you documenting the process so well. That helps everyone here. And lastly, I really appreciate your offer about your old leather. I will PM you for the details. Thanks soooo much.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:06 AM
Pro

Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts
Endless has 2 options if I recall...both of which are covers:

Diamond Pattern Clazzio Covers - $399-$499...don't look bad IMO and are good for the price
Classic Leather Cover Replacement - $495-$595...also a good option for the cost.

I'm with you, I wouldn't drop a ton of money either...but that's just me.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would go with the endless rpm ones, the classic ones. The diamond pattern are a bit much XD
Acura TL seat cover replacements