3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2 month old Type -s Hit by a dump truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 06:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for all the information guys. As of right now no word from the other insurance company. My insurance carrier has already contacted me and have changed their paperwork to "Record only status" pending resolution from the other guys.

Yesterday afternoon I took the car to Rosenthal Acura (2 min drive from work) and had the service manager Steve Beneck look it over before I took it on the highway. Damage to the rear structure is not to serious. The car definately needs an allignment, and a proper inspection of the suspension components, but was safe to drive home.

Car is sitting at home today. Hopefully I get contacted today...
Old 09-14-2007, 07:44 AM
Eagle Automotive, Inc.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope that fly by night insurance doesn't jerk you around, another thing to think about is if it takes forever and you need an alighnment, and your tires start wearing down, now they owe you for tires (or a proration) because they want to drag thier feet. I HATE insurance companies!
Old 09-14-2007, 08:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
This REALLY SUCKS!

Did the driver SPEAK ENGLISH and have a GREEN CARD?

Most accidents where I live are CAUSED by people who DON'T have INSURANCE or

a GREEN CARD. Then the LEGAL person WHO gets HIT has to PAY for the DAMAGE.

It HAPPENED TO ME!
Old 09-14-2007, 08:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

I just heard from the insurance company. The usual hurry up and wait bs. They claim they are waiting to hear from the insured to verify the details of the accident. I informed them that there were 3 eye witnesses, incase a problem comes up. I didn't say anything about the whole thing being caught on camera. That will be my little secret.

JD TL-S, my situation is nothing like that, I am dealing with a business, their employee on their time in their vehicle.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by NaplesTL
I HATE insurance companies!
I've had some very shitty experiences with insurance companies. But, I've also had some awesome experiences. My current provider is top notch. The "hurry up and wait" is always worse when you're whole life is disrupted because somebody else was careless.

One piece of advice.... Don't let the insurance company pick your body shop.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:21 AM
Columbia Univ. c/o 2004

unbelievable...sorry...very sorry
Old 09-14-2007, 10:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

This thing seems to be moving right along now. I was just contacted by the insurance appraiser, they will be inspecting the car today, which is parked at home. Unfortunately I am at work, without anyway to get there. Just FYI i am able to take the car to any body shop i choose. Hopefully this nasty incident will be behind me soon.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:12 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP
Sorry to hear about that, that really does suck. Thats going to be fun with the paint match. WDP is a pain to get the paint to blend or match. Good luck and hope every thing works out.
The only WDP cars I have ever seen where the bumpers matched the body were cars that had the bumpers resprayed
Old 09-14-2007, 11:13 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by acur8ly
This thing seems to be moving right along now. I was just contacted by the insurance appraiser, they will be inspecting the car today, which is parked at home. Unfortunately I am at work, without anyway to get there. Just FYI i am able to take the car to any body shop i choose. Hopefully this nasty incident will be behind me soon.

This is ALWAYS true.

However, if the insurance company appraises the repair cost at (say) $5,000 and your body shop estimates (say) $7000, the insurance company does not have to pay the add'l $2,000.

So, my advice, find 2 or 3 High Quality, Highly Recommended Body shops and get estimates. If any are near the Insurance Appraisal, no problem. If they are all too high, get "pre-approval" to use the lowest one.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:16 AM
Eagle Automotive, Inc.

Originally Posted by uncald4
One piece of advice.... Don't let the insurance company pick your body shop.
There is only one place my cars go... LOL my shop... Eagle Automotive, Inc. The only reason I started to hate them is because I have to deal with them on a daily basis here at my shop but they have to deal with me too. LOL
Old 09-14-2007, 11:25 AM
Eagle Automotive, Inc.

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
the insurance company does not have to pay the add'l $2,000.
that is not 100% true, thats another thing I deal with ALL the time, thats where I (as a body shop owner) have to fight with the insurance company to repair the car correctly. If you are a "claim it" (not your fault) you owe nothing, if it is your insurance all you owe is your deductable (which I hate to say is not 100% true either) for example you probley have signed somewhere that says they can put aftermarket parts on your vehicle so you MAY have to pay the difference in aftermarket and OEM
Old 09-14-2007, 11:31 AM
Eagle Automotive, Inc.

Oh yea appraisers will ALWAYS write low estimates with the expectations you take the check and cash it instead of getting the car fixed. I wouldn't sign or accept any check that may be written to you on the spot. All in all it can be very difficult because there are millions of different situations and each one can be handled 100% different than the last in order to handle it correctly. If this makes sence LOL
Old 09-14-2007, 11:34 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by NaplesTL
that is not 100% true, thats another thing I deal with ALL the time, thats where I (as a body shop owner) have to fight with the insurance company to repair the car correctly. If you are a "claim it" (not your fault) you owe nothing, if it is your insurance all you owe is your deductable (which I hate to say is not 100% true either) for example you probley have signed somewhere that says they can put aftermarket parts on your vehicle so you MAY have to pay the difference in aftermarket and OEM

Hey! This is good to know.

So, lets say I come to your shop. And because you are going to the job right and use the right parts, etc, your estimate is significantly higher than what the Insurance adjuster said.

As the consumer, what should I do if I want you to do the repair?
Old 09-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Eagle Automotive, Inc.

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Hey! This is good to know.

So, lets say I come to your shop. And because you are going to the job right and use the right parts, etc, your estimate is significantly higher than what the Insurance adjuster said.

As the consumer, what should I do if I want you to do the repair?
If you were at my shop I will deal with your insurance until we (insurance and my shop) come to an agreement as to what to pay for your repair. If necessary I will lower my rates and work with my numbers to help retain work and to keep you as a customer. The down side for you is this now might take longer to get your car done. But other than that we (the body shop) will take on your insurance for you. The insurance can't tell you were to take your car, they just owe you money to repair it to PREACCIDENT condition.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:17 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Acur8ly I am sorry to see your car like that, I hope it is as good as new soon.

Also when you are a "claim it" as you are in this situation
If you are a "claim it" (not your fault) you owe nothing
No disrepect to NaplesTL but it is "CLAIMANT" not "Claim it." Just thought I would help your future credibility since you are in the business. Wouldn't want you to look silly in front of one of them damn insurance adjusters!
Old 09-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Eagle Automotive, Inc.

Originally Posted by TiminAZ
Acur8ly I am sorry to see your car like that, I hope it is as good as new soon.

No disrepect to NaplesTL but it is "CLAIMANT" not "Claim it." Just thought I would help your future credibility since you are in the business. Wouldn't want you to look silly in front of one of them damn insurance adjusters!
Yea I know LOL you are a 100% right it is kinda a on going joke around here to spell it like that
Old 09-14-2007, 01:42 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry I know you don't want to see these but I will post them so you don't have to use the link...

Old 09-14-2007, 02:31 PM
Instructor

Damn that sucks!!! Hope you get everything fixed up soon. Good luck with the repairs
Old 09-14-2007, 06:08 PM
Burning Brakes

i got hit in the driver's side quarter panel
exactly 2 months to the day of owning my TL .
you are one of many victims of the 2 month curse.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:47 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by HiTEC
My Dad's a TV repairman and has this ultimate set of tools... I can fix it!
hey man. just be glad I had fast reflexes.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dude i would of cried if that happened to my car
Old 09-14-2007, 11:09 PM
Cablevision Employee

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Those pic will give me nightmares.....
Old 09-15-2007, 01:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

For all of you guys, as bad as this situation is for me I'm proud to say that the car was hit by a DUMP TRUCK and pushed about 2 ft. Look at the picture above showing the white line in the parking lot. The car was perfectly parallel to that line. Talk about build quality.

Status update... nothing yet. Adjuster did look at the car, no word from him since or from the insurance company. The adjuster was from an independent firm so I hope his estimates are close to actual repair costs. The car has been parked since I got it home after the unfortunate incident.

i got hit in the driver's side quarter panel
exactly 2 months to the day of owning my TL .
you are one of many victims of the 2 month curse.
I never want to be in a situation like this ever again.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:21 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You're lucky you recieved no damage to the wheel. Could you still open the door, I doubt it.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:25 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
After carefull review of those pictures, the bodyshop will be hard pressed to get the door in working condition again.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:12 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Eoanou
After carefull review of those pictures, the bodyshop will be hard pressed to get the door in working condition again.

I hope you're not implying the repaired door will never function properly again - If so, I'm curious why people make comments like this.....

The damage is basically minor in the big scheme of things. Sure it will need a new door and rear quarter panel with a little work in the door jam and inner fender- well areas. Any decent bodyshop will have this looking/functioning as good as new in no time.

Best of luck on the repair OP..
Old 09-15-2007, 07:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Eoanou
You're lucky you recieved no damage to the wheel. Could you still open the door, I doubt it.
The wheel looks like it had no damage but it was hit, there was rubber left on it and the alignment is off.

As far as the door goes, I havn't tried to open it, I'm afraid that if I do, it wont close.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:10 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by acur8ly
The wheel looks like it had no damage but it was hit, there was rubber left on it and the alignment is off.

As far as the door goes, I havn't tried to open it, I'm afraid that if I do, it wont close.

Good thinking,

Best to leave that to the body shop once it's there and scheduled for work.

If the wheel/tire was a contact point you may have "minor" suspension damage as well - then again it may have prevented further quarter-panel/sheet-metal damage etc..

Best of luck