3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 110,000 mile Journey, cost, issues and beyond....

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:05 PM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
^^ I saw your TSX in your thread today and yeah you might need a daily driver after your done with that thing. It is looking sick and it looks like no expense was spared. TL's are a great dd. That's the main reason I bought one...
Old 01-13-2009, 10:12 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Now that Eric had gotten himself another car, I think you have him beat with the mileage.

And I agree, that car looks mint for the mileage it has now! Mine's an '05 as well and I just recently gotten the brake fluid changed and approaching 60K. So far so good.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:16 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
damn bro, I really admire your car. The car held up very well and you did your part as a owner.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:36 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,149 Likes on 2,577 Posts
Nice writeup and pictures. Always very good to use OEM parts. Good to know you've had a long trouble-free experience with your 6MT 3G TL.

Was the driveshaft a Acura/Honda remanufactured unit where you have to send the old one back in the mail? Since the price was fairly reasonable ~$160! In the past I bought the Honda rebuild kits with the boots, grease, circlips, and band clamps, which were ~$40-50.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:59 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great job - with both the write-up and with the maintenance of your car. It looks like new. Having a nice garage to keep the car in and to work in is great. I can't wait to build my garage-mahal. I can't get anything in my current garage.

Whoever owned your car before you must have taken good care of it as well. I've seen plenty of cars with 30k that were trashed.

Good luck with her.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:24 PM
200,000 mile club

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Nice writeup and pictures. Always very good to use OEM parts. Good to know you've had a long trouble-free experience with your 6MT 3G TL.

Was the driveshaft a Acura/Honda remanufactured unit where you have to send the old one back in the mail? Since the price was fairly reasonable ~$160! In the past I bought the Honda rebuild kits with the boots, grease, circlips, and band clamps, which were ~$40-50.
That price was a brand new oem driveshaft. They didn't require a core so it was all good. I looked into the rebuild kit to rebuild the old one and it was 25 dollars difference. It was a no brainer so if anyone has a clicking noise or ripped boot, replace the entire drive shaft.

Originally Posted by SpecialFX
Great job - with both the write-up and with the maintenance of your car. It looks like new. Having a nice garage to keep the car in and to work in is great. I can't wait to build my garage-mahal. I can't get anything in my current garage.

Whoever owned your car before you must have taken good care of it as well. I've seen plenty of cars with 30k that were trashed.

Good luck with her.

I am not sure who was the old owner but one thing I made sure of was that the car was titled in the sate of NC. No salt on the roads and there are a lot of highways and little city traffic. It was registered to someone in the country side of this great state so I checked it out and bought it...

He could have kept in better shape. The carfax came back with no accidents but after a few days, I relaized the right rear quarter panel was painted. I put a magnet to the lower corner and noticed about 6-8 inches of bondo. My thought is he backed into something so he paid out of pocket for such a small fix. The paint is a slight bit off and is more noticable in certain light and angles..... Whoever did the job should be shot because the blending sucked and it was a slight wave to it....Oh well, can't win them all but as far as the car goes, it is rock solid with no issues at all. Knock on wood!!!
Old 01-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Soon I will have

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I was fortunate enough to have Jon help me out yesterday with licesne plate bulb mod. It was the first time that I had seen his car in person....very clean and sleek ride. He also gave me an in person demo of the i-simple unit, there is no reason why anyone who has an ipod does not get one of these. I look forward to when the tls harness comes out and I will be back over at Jon's to do it up. The dvd player is tight as well, super nice guy with a lot of good info.

Jesse
Old 01-17-2009, 03:59 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Man awesome writeup...Your car looks clean....I just have couple questions for you since we are in the pretty much same miles ballpark....I am on 97K in my 05TL 5AT....When I hit 100K I was thinking for changing the belts, water pump, spark plugs, tensioner, crank pulley (since I was doing all this) and mainly wanted to drain/refill all the fluids....What oil or fluids did you change and what would you recommend.....this is what I am inclined to:

Engine oil: Royal purple 5W30 <-- which royal purple is good for high mileage ???
Coolant: Type 2 (don't really think there is an option here)
Transmission: Honda ATF Z1 (I have heard a lot about Amsoil ATF lately)
Brake: Motul RBF600 (should I go for DOT5.1 or DOT4)??
PowerSteering: Genuine Honda

When it comes to oils and belts and all that I like to stick to stock one's, but if something can increase the life of my car I dont mind trying that.....

What do you suggest man....!!!!
Old 01-17-2009, 04:15 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by golfjwr
I was fortunate enough to have Jon help me out yesterday with licesne plate bulb mod. It was the first time that I had seen his car in person....very clean and sleek ride. He also gave me an in person demo of the i-simple unit, there is no reason why anyone who has an ipod does not get one of these. I look forward to when the tls harness comes out and I will be back over at Jon's to do it up. The dvd player is tight as well, super nice guy with a lot of good info.

Jesse

Jon's Community Garage is always open for new business.

Often serving Pizza and Beer.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:25 PM
200,000 mile club

Originally Posted by swoosh
Man awesome writeup...Your car looks clean....I just have couple questions for you since we are in the pretty much same miles ballpark....I am on 97K in my 05TL 5AT....When I hit 100K I was thinking for changing the belts, water pump, spark plugs, tensioner, crank pulley (since I was doing all this) and mainly wanted to drain/refill all the fluids....What oil or fluids did you change and what would you recommend.....this is what I am inclined to:

Engine oil: Royal purple 5W30 <-- which royal purple is good for high mileage ???
Coolant: Type 2 (don't really think there is an option here)
Transmission: Honda ATF Z1 (I have heard a lot about Amsoil ATF lately)
Brake: Motul RBF600 (should I go for DOT5.1 or DOT4)??
PowerSteering: Genuine Honda

When it comes to oils and belts and all that I like to stick to stock one's, but if something can increase the life of my car I dont mind trying that.....

What do you suggest man....!!!!
I would do this at 105 or 110k miles. No need to do this early but in the end it's your call.

I have used 10-20w Mobil 1 oil since day one and chaged it every 5k so I see not one drop burned over that time period. Regardless of the miles Mobil 1 is a great oil and a lot cheaper than the Royal purple.

So do the plugs, change all the fluid and filters, water pump, belts, tensioner, adjust the valves and call it a day. That should get you a few miles with no issues.

I bought these from the Acura dealer and kicked myself in the head. I could have gotten the same ones for half the price had I gotten them from Honda or a Acura vendor online. Get your parts online and you will save a ton of cash...

Jesse, it was great meeting you yesterday and it was no trouble at all to help you out. Eric had just left the community garage...We had to cut his toe and camber bars off his car because the salt had done too much damage. That was fun!
Old 01-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice thread. This will help many others including myself with maintainace.

WDP FTW!!! The car still looks young..TL is the car to go!!

Im hoping to keep this car for a long while as well..Keep us posted!!
Old 01-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chill_dog
Are you and the wife making the trek again?
I am plannin on it for sure, not sure if she will accompany me or probably go shopping- lookin forward to it!
Old 01-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this definitely gives me more reasons to want it even more!
Old 01-18-2009, 11:30 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,149 Likes on 2,577 Posts
Originally Posted by mmade22
That price was a brand new oem driveshaft. They didn't require a core so it was all good. I looked into the rebuild kit to rebuild the old one and it was 25 dollars difference. It was a no brainer so if anyone has a clicking noise or ripped boot, replace the entire drive shaft.

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

The boot kits are $23 each (one inboard, one outboard), perhaps you were looking at the price of the inboard CV joint (they are $132). None the less the cost of a new OEM driveshaft being $166 is amazing.

I've re-booted ~30-40 driveshafts in 30 years, it's not a fun task, very messy and it's always a b***h getting the ball-joint to loosen. One thing that is nice, the boots these days last ALOT longer than years ago. I used to replace the boots every 6-7 years or 70-80K miles. My wife's Honda Pilot has 133K miles and still has the original boots.

I'm guessing better boot rubber has made a difference. I also spray them with 100% silicon lube to keep the rubber lubed and clean them with a claen shop towell afterward to clean out the crevaces in the boot ribs.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:42 PM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
Very nice write up. How much did you pay for labor to do the timing belt/waterpump? If you don't mind me asking.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:18 AM
200,000 mile club

I posted that on my first post.....300 for the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, and valve adjustment.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:23 AM
The Box

^I saw that. Did you install everything yourself?
Old 01-20-2009, 09:48 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by vas25tl
^I saw that. Did you install everything yourself?

Now I am approching fast to the 105,000 mile service. The 105 comes and goes and it is more like, the 110k service for me....

I get a call from a former member on here and he tells me, he knows a certified Honda tech who is allowed to do sidework at the dealer on weekends.....I give the guy a call and we come to a date of 1-10-09... OK I will be over 105 by that time but it's all good.... I ordered the parts......Timing belt, water pump, Timing belt tensioner, drivebelt, valve cover gaskets, cabin filter at a cost of $307.58

The bill

I also had a bad right outer CV boot so I ordered a complete right drive shaft at a dealer cost of $182.59

The Honda certified tech adjusted the valves, replaced the tensioner, timing belt, drive belt, water pump,flushed the radiator and replaced the right drive shaft for a labor cost of $400.00 That was a deal!!!

Old 01-20-2009, 12:44 PM
The Box

Damn ^ Sorry didn't see the last part.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:49 PM
Pro

Great looking car and very good writeup!!! How much have your tools/equipment costed you so far? You must have made quite an investment when you decided to fix/maintain the car yourself.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Advanced

Nice Post!!! very helpful.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:56 PM
200,000 mile club

Originally Posted by kenny5
Great looking car and very good writeup!!! How much have your tools/equipment costed you so far? You must have made quite an investment when you decided to fix/maintain the car yourself.

Not really as this is one of many cars I have owned and worked on over the past years. It doesn't take a whole lot of tools to work on these cars. Just your basic set and you will be able to get a lot done. I was in a GM program and working at a Buick dealer straight out of HS so my parents had bought me my Snap on box with a great starter set as a graduation gift. I took it from there and added a lot more over the years. I work on almost anything so I have a lot of tools and use them all. Have you seen the deck and outside bar I built in the off topic section? All you need is a mind and a mean set of tools!
Old 06-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Instructional Designer

I have 105k service items for sale- new unopened. Lost my job, TL was repoed before I serviced it.

PM me for link.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Intermediate

Nice post. This is exactly what I want to hear. I'm looking to buy my TL within the next month. I've never had a Honda so I was wondering about how long I could expect the car to last when taken care off (I'm buying used with prob close to 50k miles). I was thinking 50k was getting up there but now I'm not worried about it.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Instructional Designer

Similar experience with my 107k mile 04 TL 6spd Navi

Thanks for posting such a detailed heads up mmmade22. I agree with your choices and anticipated longevity. I purchased for same reasons/similar job situation.

Only problem in 4+ years was a bad ABS module misdiagnosed as a bad master cylinder (twice). (Pedal went to floor before stopping car. Very little travel in the pedal stroke.) Covered under warranty.

Maintenance costs were similar. No upgrades, was still pretty stock.

Someone asked here about the cost of the 105k mi service. My local dealer has put out a sheet in the past with a range of $1500 - $2000 depending on what needs replacing.

When I looked into buying the materials myself to do most of the work, I found the list included calipers, rotors, pads, for example- that I knew I would have a choice to buy elsewhere.

So I purchased selected items like oxy sensors (my first check engine light at 105k), coolant, timing belt, tensioner, etc. Many of the components you already listed.

I had the oxy sensors installed, oil changed, brake pads replaced and some other basic things done at a major chain repair shop to avoid crawling around in the snow in Jan myself while on a business trip.

I did not get to the timing belt, water pump, etc. as the labor quote is quite a few hours to do that. Probably five or six hours "in the quote" to do that alone.

Then the economy caught up with me: lost job (2nd in a year), car was repoed and the rest is history. Someone else is benefiting from my car care.

But I kept some of the left over materials that I did not install, car cover, bra, and project items I never got around to: backup sensors with a used rear bumper skin.

Check out My Garage.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Great write up thanks for the info... Car looks hot
Old 06-04-2009, 07:22 PM
200,000 mile club

Thanks guys! The car now has 135k on it and all is great. The clutch has a creek noise due to the clutch master cylinder going bad but they say other than the noise, it can be driven like that with no issues. The part is 100 bucks and I am looking into doing it myself in the near future. It hasn't really annoyed me to much since I am in 6th gear most of the day.

I am off to Speed Styles next week to get a new set of tires (I should have close to 33k on this set by then) and they are wrapping my 07-08 base tails in black film with just the white of the lens showing.

I was in Atlanta, GA /August, GA and Columbia, SC this week and next week I am off to Columbus, GA / Savannah, GA and god knows were else on Thursday-Friday. This car is the best car on the highway and is still turning heads each state I drive threw. Look out for me in the South East!!!
Old 06-04-2009, 08:19 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,982 Likes on 14,493 Posts
Cool

Thanks guys! The car now has 135k on it and all is great. The clutch has a creek noise due to the clutch master cylinder going bad but they say other than the noise, it can be driven like that with no issues. The part is 100 bucks and I am looking into doing it myself in the near future. It hasn't really annoyed me to much since I am in 6th gear most of the day.

I am off to Speed Styles next week to get a new set of tires (I should have close to 33k on this set by then) and they are wrapping my 07-08 base tails in black film with just the white of the lens showing.

I was in Atlanta, GA /August, GA and Columbia, SC this week and next week I am off to Columbus, GA / Savannah, GA and god knows were else on Thursday-Friday. This car is the best car on the highway and is still turning heads each state I drive threw. Look out for me in the South East!!!
I've had a creak for a while too, car is an 04 6MT and I only have 40K miles on it. Supposedly if your master cylinder is going bad you will see fluid on the firewall inside the car where you press the clutch in. I don't, which makes me happy, but I've had the sound...the solution for me is "white lithium grease" spray. Cheap solution and it should fix it. Get under there...with a flashlight and press the clutch in with your left hand while you spray put the tip in the hole (you'll see) and spray till it fills. Then give it a few up/downs with your hand and hit it again...wipe up the little excess and the sound should be gone! It used to sound like a creaking door when depressing the clutch.

Also, I HAVE had to replace the clutch slave cylinder so I've inadvertently changed the fluid. Let me know if you need guidance changing the slave if that goes bad. I have some tips that will probably help.

Question for you, how did you know your right side driveshaft needed replacing?

Thanks,
J.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:26 AM
Make Nice, Not Rice

great post! I just hit 30k!

Anything specific I should be doing at this time besides tire rotation, oil change etc?
Old 06-05-2009, 02:36 AM
Intermediate

If ur Clutch Petal Creeps its your Master Cylinder going bad. My 93 Accord has the same problem and I havent fixed it.

BTW: I love ur Body Kit....Looks alot better then the one I have been seeing around. Buldging Fog Lights...
Old 06-05-2009, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Trippin Bimmer
If ur Clutch Petal Creeps its your Master Cylinder going bad. My 93 Accord has the same problem and I havent fixed it.

BTW: I love ur Body Kit....Looks alot better then the one I have been seeing around. Buldging Fog Lights...
Creeping meaning it starts dropping lower and lower to work? Sometimes, when Im waiting at a light, the brake will kinda depress a little. Does that mean it's the brake master cylinder going too? Just curious.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:50 AM
200,000 mile club

Thanks rockstar, I will have to try that today. If I d need to change the clutch cylinder, I will hit you up.

The noise on the drive shaft when turning was coming from the right and I inspected the boot and found a very small tear in it. Toasted, so I replaced it.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:27 AM

Cool...thanks...not vibrating or anything though, right?

Anyway, yeah...if you need to change the slave...I'm your man. If not...I bet the the squeeking will go away with the spray. I hope so at least.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
jon, when will you find yourself down in the sunshine state?
Old 06-05-2009, 03:27 PM
200,000 mile club

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Cool...thanks...not vibrating or anything though, right?

Anyway, yeah...if you need to change the slave...I'm your man. If not...I bet the the squeeking will go away with the spray. I hope so at least.

Rockstar you are the man!!! I sprayed it like you said and greased all the areas. It feels better than the day I got it. The slave is leak free and man it is great! Thanks again.

No vibration was on the driveshaft. They are weighted I believe but that wasn't my problem, just clicking noise when turning.

Originally Posted by godfather2
jon, when will you find yourself down in the sunshine state?

We have other guys for that state so I never end up that far south.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Jon, I'm glad you're back home and back on Acurazine. For some reason, I missed this thread at the beginning of the year, but thoroughly enjoyed reading through the entire thing!

My Type S badges are still looking great..I'm loving them. You should have seen the Service Writers stare at them when I went into the dealership today!
Old 06-05-2009, 04:03 PM
My username is lame

haha very nice! i got my car the same time as you did and only hit 44k
Old 06-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Received 300 Likes on 142 Posts
Thanks for sharing with us..

Excellent thread!
Old 06-06-2009, 10:17 PM

Question

Thanks man,

Funny thing...I thought about this thread today when I was driving cause I thought I heard a mild creak. I do, on occasion, have to reapply. But overall noise goes away and I'm happy! Very happy it worked for you too! A lot cheaper to fix this than replace the master cylinder and that noise is friggin ANNOYING!

Have a great rest of the weekend,
Jeremy.

Rockstar you are the man!!! I sprayed it like you said and greased all the areas. It feels better than the day I got it. The slave is leak free and man it is great! Thanks again.

No vibration was on the driveshaft. They are weighted I believe but that wasn't my problem, just clicking noise when turning.

We have other guys for that state so I never end up that far south.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:38 PM
200,000 mile club

****UPDATE******

What up fellas? Well, I hit 150k last week and man it feels good to own a Honda product. The car still is rock solid and no issues to report. No codes, major issues, minor issues....Nothing! This car is the best car I have ever owned. I did a crazy amount of miles this past work week (5 days) 2051 miles.....NUTS I had traveled to Baltimore, MD New Bern, Jacksonville, Wilmington, Cary, Charlotte, NC Then to Martinsville, Wythville, VA and last to Augusta, GA.

Since the last time I updated this thread I have done a few changes. I added the Type-S exhaust and type-s rear a-spec skirt....Added the 07-08 base tails and had them tinted on the red areas....painted the rear emblem and silver trunk area trim....and last, replaced the ronjons with Gunmetal A-specs with new summer tread.

The new updates on the car:

The rims that swapped:

Well I hit 150K......

On with the 150k service.....

Tire rotation......

Air filter cleaning.......

Sea Foam in the tank, oil and the intake.....

My throttle man making sure the car didn't stall during the seafoam procedure......

Drove the car, got the smoke and crap out and now it was time to change the oil and the plugs....

My man Alex doing his first tune-up with dad. He's a natural!

Old plugs aren't too bad....

Old oil looked clean and the car still doesn't burn a drop....

The engine bay all back together...tuned up and clean as can be.....Would you guess, she had 150k on her?

This week took a toll on the front of the car with all the crazy bugs and road crap...

The 150k service included a wash, wax, conditioning the leather and all around good detail....

The interior....

The front.....

A little better....

The receipts since the last time with just the basics done.....

To all of the current TL owners out there.....Consider yourself lucky.....This is a great car and you can get a lot of miles out of it when taken care of. My car is garage kept and I have always made sure the car is well taken care of. Check in from time to time.....I hope to have 300k on it in a little over two years. I have told myself, if the car still is on it's original clutch, I am going to keep going and hopefully hit the half a million mark....Time will tell.

Quick Reply: My 110,000 mile Journey, cost, issues and beyond....