mustang vs TL

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010 | 07:26 AM
Under construction

Originally Posted by Joe5.0
IIRC the 'Track Pack' 2010 Mustang GT pulled something like .95G and 60-0 in 108'.

The days of straight line only performance are gone.

What does the best 2010 Acura do in the 1/4, lateral grip, and braking?

Also, have you ever driven a Mustang, or any American V8 RWD car? Its easy to say it handles like crap if all you do is read about them and never drive one for yourself.
I would love to test drive the new V6 mustang, 300HP and it's a base model that's awesome!
Old 02-16-2010 | 07:31 AM
Burning Brakes

IIRC the 'Track Pack' 2010 Mustang GT pulled something like .95G and 60-0 in 108'.

Also, have you ever driven a Mustang, or any American V8 RWD car? Its easy to say it handles like crap if all you do is read about them and never drive one for yourself.
I drove a 04 GT convertible 5-speed a few months ago. The sound of the V8 was like sex to my ears . I can say that the TL does handle much better though.. Heres the pros and cons of the mustang

Pros: Loud V8 sounds amazing, also i think its a pretty nice looking car.

Cons: Interior is just straight up shit (i don't even know where they found plastic that cheap), sound system sucks, handling sucks, and the ride is hard on your back. But none of this even mattered to me cause the sound of the V8 was so damn good.
Old 02-23-2010 | 03:59 PM
Banned

I pulled on a late model ('08 or '09) mustang GT pretty bad starting at 110 mph and pulled harder at 130+ mph. he was several cars behind, didn't count how many exactly. Went up to about 135 mph and the cocky ego filled mustang GT driver got humilated. He was quite fast from lower speeds though. All was done roll race, not from dig. This was on the interstate.
Old 02-23-2010 | 09:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sonnick
I disagree. I ran a 5 speed one when I had an intake (I think) and it was neck and neck thru 1st and 2nd. We didn't get to go into 3rd because of traffic, but I was surprised. I think he would've creeped in 3rd, but it should be close if you're a good driver.
I molested a 300hp/320 lb tq Mustang GT from high speed roll 85~ 135 mph. The Mustang is no slouch but they don't pull hard up top in the triple digits due to its tall 5 speed gear spacing. That extra torque is partially out the window. With your superman driving skills you might be able to pull on him if you do a roll race from 80~ 130 or so. Yours is modded and being a MT you may have a chance.
Old 02-23-2010 | 09:49 PM
Under construction

Originally Posted by mazdaspeed3God
I pulled on a late model ('08 or '09) mustang GT pretty bad starting at 110 mph and pulled harder at 130+ mph. he was several cars behind, didn't count how many exactly. Went up to about 135 mph and the cocky ego filled mustang GT driver got humilated. He was quite fast from lower speeds though. All was done roll race, not from dig. This was on the interstate.
Sounds like driver fail on the mustang cuz I don't believe that a 300HP Mustang GT was several cars behind you at those speeds. They are not as slow as you make them out to be. Look at their 1/4 mile trap speeds, 103-105mph, that's enough to take out a Mazdaspeed 3, which traps 99-101mph.

I'm talking about stock cars, I'll take my words back if you are modded.
Old 02-24-2010 | 07:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by alexSU
Sounds like driver fail on the mustang cuz I don't believe that a 300HP Mustang GT was several cars behind you at those speeds. They are not as slow as you make them out to be. Look at their 1/4 mile trap speeds, 103-105mph, that's enough to take out a Mazdaspeed 3, which traps 99-101mph.
That doesn't mean anything. No matter how good the trap speed is if the next gear becomes too tall then it will lose power to the ground at speeds above that. That's one of the reasons why comparing quarter mile ET and trap has no relation to the roll on racing. Using the quarter mile data is valid only if two cars race from a dig to quarter mile.

I doubt it was the driver either. He pushed it to the max, on the interstate. The problem is his gearing. It uses 5 speed transmission for both auto and manual.

I'm talking about stock cars, I'll take my words back if you are modded.
I don't know his is modded or stock. I didn't ask him since we were speeding on the highway. He lost all his ego after what happened.
Old 02-24-2010 | 07:54 AM
Banned

And yes, mine is stock. Forgot to mention that in my previous post.
Old 02-24-2010 | 07:54 AM
Under construction

Originally Posted by mazdaspeed3God
That doesn't mean anything. No matter how good the trap speed is if the next gear becomes too tall then it will lose power to the ground at speeds above that. That's one of the reasons why comparing quarter mile ET and trap has no relation to the roll on racing. Using the quarter mile data is valid only if two cars race from a dig to quarter mile.

I doubt it was the driver either. He pushed it to the max, on the interstate. The problem is his gearing. It uses 5 speed transmission for both auto and manual.

I don't know his is modded or stock. I didn't ask him since we were speeding on the highway. He lost all his ego after what happened.
Ok, from what I heard on this site the trap speed is the best way to determine roll racing results. I hope someone else chimes in with more info on this. If I'm wrong, I'll eat my words but I doubt it.

Secondly, you don't know if he pushed his car to the max. There is no way you could be 100% sure, so it still stands the Mustang had a shitty driver.

Unless you got this on video, I just don't believe it
Old 02-24-2010 | 07:57 AM
TQ > MPG

I believe that a MS3 pulled on a stock'ish 05-09 GT MT. The gearing is not 'great', unless they put new rear gears in, and the 3V 4.6L really starts to level off at 5k rpm, so its not a screamer up top.

From what I've read the '11+ 5.0L will be more high strung, with a redline of 7k, and should have better gearing with the standard 6 speed in auto & manual.
Old 02-24-2010 | 08:01 AM
TQ > MPG

Ok, from what I heard on this site the trap speed is the best way to determine roll racing results. I hope someone else chimes in with more info on this. If I'm wrong, I'll eat my words but I doubt it.

Secondly, you don't know if he pushed his car to the max. There is no way you could be 100% sure, so it still stands the Mustang had a shitty driver.

Whats so hard to believe? The mustang doesnt have great Cd, is not a high rpm engine, and turbo cars usually run pretty well once they are fully spooled up.

The MS3 would easily run 13's and 100+mph in the 1/4 if they didnt limit tq in the lower gears (correct me if i'm wrong on this), and if it could launch like a rwd car. From a roll these negative attributes are not present.

I've raced alot of cars from a roll in my mustang that either were neck & neck, or pulled on me that in a 1/4 mile would be slower ET wise AND mph.
Old 02-24-2010 | 08:06 AM
Banned

Ok, from what I heard on this site the trap speed is the best way to determine roll racing results.
That's incorrect. Some people may have given you the wrong info. Roll racing and dig racing has little no relations due to the differences in the gear spacing. Weight and aerodynamic of the vehicle comes into play, but doesn't have as much impact as the gearing.

I'm pretty sure he put it down to the max as it was more of a road-rage and racing (it's a long story) and he was determined to try to take me down. The road was cleared ahead as well.

Maybe you don't want to believe it because you are not liking what you read. You *want* the Mustang to win just because it has more hp and tq. I didn't have a video camera at the time and I am not going to record a video in the road-rage / racing when I'm driving a stick. No passenger on both cars.
Old 02-24-2010 | 08:13 AM
Banned

The MS3 would easily run 13's and 100+mph in the 1/4 if they didnt limit tq in the lower gears (correct me if i'm wrong on this), and if it could launch like a rwd car. From a roll these negative attributes are not present.
That is 100% correct. It is the negative attributes that's hurting the MS3 for the quarter mile runs from dig. One time I even had some 4-cyl '90's Toyota Camry beat me off the line.

I've raced alot of cars from a roll in my mustang that either were neck & neck, or pulled on me that in a 1/4 mile would be slower ET wise AND mph.
Well said. That is so true.

Last edited by mazdaspeed3God; 02-24-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-24-2010 | 11:57 AM
The Dumb One

Mustang = Built for performance.

TL (even the SH-AWD) built for performance ANDDD comfort.

not two cars that should be compared.. but in comparison.. even if the 4 door Sedan (TL) is close, its shameful for the mustang.

they may be changing directions with cars such as the mustang and getting away from "Only straight lines"

but i wouldnt start putting them in the ranks of supreme handling vehicles
Old 02-24-2010 | 01:03 PM
All motor

I think a stock MS3 may be able to pull on the '05-08 GTs from a high roll. But, the GTs sure do move top end. I've never ran one from a highway roll but I'd like to, especially with my current mods.

I don't think you pulled 'numerous' cars on the highway, but hey, anything can happen on the street.

I wish you lived closer Mazda, I'd love to run a stock MS3 so we can put this argument to rest lol.
Old 02-24-2010 | 01:21 PM
Racer

I can honestly say I've beating a few +05 GT mustangs. I've embarrassed one cocky guy with his wife/gf in the car while I had a passenger. He was revving it up had an exhaust and took off. Yes they are quick cause of tq, but my TL was able to pull him in and walk him like nothing honestly.
Another guy a few weeks ago had some mods I ran into. I was behind him at a light turning left, he slowed down in the middle of the turn and then punched it. I had shifted into 2nd when he ripped it. He kept at it while I ran out 2nd and while in third I was changing lanes to pass him up and we both let off.

Now, I just bought an 01 Convertible GT in auto. Its torque at the low end sounds nice with the magnaflow catback, but still the TL pulls much harder in the top end.
Old 02-24-2010 | 03:03 PM
Getting it Done

I think a stock MS3 may be able to pull on the '05-08 GTs from a high roll. But, the GTs sure do move top end. I've never ran one from a highway roll but I'd like to, especially with my current mods.

I don't think you pulled 'numerous' cars on the highway, but hey, anything can happen on the street.

I wish you lived closer Mazda, I'd love to run a stock MS3 so we can put this argument to rest lol.
I put my very little money on YOUUUUUUU.
Old 02-24-2010 | 03:30 PM
Under construction

i just don't see "several cars ahead" being true.

joe5.0 = imagine what the TL would run if it could launch like a RWD but it's not, neither is the mazdaspeed so 13's and 100+ mph trap speeds are very very very rare
Old 02-24-2010 | 08:14 PM
Pro

if you can drive you should be able to edge him out. i did to a couple of them. they were stoc and stick. i did get blown away by a third cause i hit the rev limiter. the auto should be slower.
Old 02-24-2010 | 10:34 PM
TQ > MPG

I wish there were more Acura people around here, I would love to race some in my mustang
Old 02-25-2010 | 07:07 AM
Under construction

I wish there were more Acura people around here, I would love to race some in my mustang
We'd never even stand a chance not even close!! If your talking about the mustang in your sig
Old 02-25-2010 | 10:16 AM
The Dumb One

discussion is on GT's.

cobra is in a different category.
Old 02-25-2010 | 10:18 AM
Getting it Done

Originally Posted by Rockstar21
discussion is on GT's.

+1.

Also nice Avatar was it always black I thought you bought it blue?
Old 02-25-2010 | 10:21 AM
The Dumb One

Originally Posted by ineedmyfixofacura
+1.

Also nice Avatar was it always black I thought you bought it blue?
nope... black as night.

it just got fresh paint on the rear bumper and lip... the hood and front lip are going to be painted very soon as well.

im loving this thing.. always wanted one when i was younger and now i have the funds and time to toy around with one finally.. awesome.
Old 02-25-2010 | 01:09 PM
TQ > MPG

discussion is on GT's.

My year Cobra only had 25hp more than the GT, but I hear ya. It was a just a jab because I barely see any 04+ TL's driven by anyone other the 50+ y/o's.

And I dont even need my Cobra, I'll just bust their azz with my CL-S6.
Old 02-25-2010 | 10:36 PM
All motor

My year Cobra only had 25hp more than the GT, but I hear ya. It was a just a jab because I barely see any 04+ TL's driven by anyone other the 50+ y/o's.

And I dont even need my Cobra, I'll just bust their azz with my CL-S6.
Not me

And while trap speed is not the ONLY indicator of roll racing, it's relatively accurate. You're not gonna see a 102mph car pull on a 105mph car from a roll. It may pull at a given RPM because of gearing advantages, but surely will not win at the end.

I always did think trap speed was the best indicator of roll racing tho. Learn something new every day

Last edited by Sonnick; 02-25-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-25-2010 | 10:44 PM
All motor

Damn the 5 minute editing window!!!

The 94-99 Cobras are really not all that quick from the factory. While they are quicker than us out of the box, they are no match for the 03-04 'real' Cobras (SC). All those big displacement motors need is I/E/Xpipe/Tune and they are fast tho, much faster than a bolt on TL.

(Not bashing your Cobra Joe, but you know what I mean).
Old 02-26-2010 | 08:19 AM
TQ > MPG

Damn the 5 minute editing window!!!

The 94-99 Cobras are really not all that quick from the factory. While they are quicker than us out of the box, they are no match for the 03-04 'real' Cobras (SC). All those big displacement motors need is I/E/Xpipe/Tune and they are fast tho, much faster than a bolt on TL.

(Not bashing your Cobra Joe, but you know what I mean).
I'd go a step further and say the 94/95 Cobra's were downright slow, so no hard hard feelings there.

And I wish mine only had bolt-ons, I have replaced more parts on the car than I care to remember.

And yeah my CLS6 prob wouldnt pull your Accord (prob would even lose), but any type of well-modded, well-driven import around here is so rare that I dont have to worry about it anytime soon.
Old 02-26-2010 | 12:10 PM
All motor

I'd go a step further and say the 94/95 Cobra's were downright slow, so no hard hard feelings there.

And I wish mine only had bolt-ons, I have replaced more parts on the car than I care to remember.

And yeah my CLS6 prob wouldnt pull your Accord (prob would even lose), but any type of well-modded, well-driven import around here is so rare that I dont have to worry about it anytime soon.
Yea, once you build a race car it seems there are more parts to replace than to mod! My cousin knows exactly what that's like on his Mustang.

Considering the CL-s and my car are built on the same platform, it should be close even with my mods. The gear ratios are the same, you have slightly more torque down low yet are slightly heavier, so it would be close. I did trap 101 with I/Jpipe though and have added E/Ported IM/PC Deletes since then, so should be around 104 now. (Guy with similar mods and weight reduction trapped 104.xx on Vee 6 Pee).

The Cobras just look so much better than the GTs.
Old 03-03-2010 | 12:07 PM
Lead Footed

Just gave an 07-08 Mustang GT a taste of my exhaust.

I saw this blue GT behind me weaving in and out of traffic cutting people off. When he got 1/2 in front of me he started to come in to my lane . . fortunately he saw me at the last second and pulled back in to his lane. I thought what an . I pulled up next to him to give him a dirty look, but he didn't look over. He kept running up on the guy in front of him and slowing down . . . probably looking for an opening. We just caught a light that turned green and the guy in front of the GT made a left . . so I dropped it down to 1st arond 30mph. Sure enough he jumped on it and I did as well. I pulled him a car length by 50mph and let up as I had 2 people in the car and it was rush hour traffic. He continued racing on ahead weaving in and out of traffic. Hope he didn't cause any wrecks . . and I was also hoping to catch him in traffic so I could laugh at him. Probably a good thing neither happened.

Anyway, I'm still looking for a newer MS3 so I can run one and see how it pans out. Based on past runs with older MS3s I expect it to be close, but in my favor.

Ruf

Last edited by RUF87; 03-03-2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: edits
Old 03-03-2010 | 03:44 PM
Senior Moderator

nope... black as night.

it just got fresh paint on the rear bumper and lip... the hood and front lip are going to be painted very soon as well.

im loving this thing.. always wanted one when i was younger and now i have the funds and time to toy around with one finally.. awesome.
Just a heads up and slightly off topic, we just purchased a 97 Prelude (base - SS tranny) for our 17 y/o daughter yesterday.....who's now happy as can be.

With the dealership being some 30 miles away, it was a fun drive home for me -- AT or not -- on route to totally surprising her. ...and it pulls fairly hard for an NA 2.2L I4 w/ 125k on the clock.
Old 03-03-2010 | 09:42 PM
Lead Footed

Originally Posted by F23A4
Just a heads up and slightly off topic, we just purchased a 97 Prelude (base - SS tranny) for our 17 y/o daughter yesterday.....who's now happy as can be.

With the dealership being some 30 miles away, it was a fun drive home for me -- AT or not -- on route to totally surprising her. ...and it pulls fairly hard for an NA 2.2L I4 w/ 125k on the clock.
Nice I got my son a 98 Prelude AT base with 134k and runs good. Haven't started the modding, but light weight 17" wheels (15.4lbs) and tires (18.7lbs) go on this weekend. Should really help being front wheel drive.

Ruf
Old 03-04-2010 | 06:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by RUF87
Nice I got my son a 98 Prelude AT base with 134k and runs good. Haven't started the modding, but light weight 17" wheels (15.4lbs) and tires (18.7lbs) go on this weekend. Should really help being front wheel drive.

Ruf

Thanks. While my daughter's only mod inclination is towards upgrading the HU, it's my son who wants to try his hand at modding it.......particularly given that his Alti 3.5SE is now maxed out on the bolt on mods.
Old 03-04-2010 | 04:41 PM
All motor

Thanks. While my daughter's only mod inclination is towards upgrading the HU, it's my son who wants to try his hand at modding it.......particularly given that his Alti 3.5SE is now maxed out on the bolt on mods.
He needs a tune! Raise that rev limit and tune with UTEC or Technosquare I believe and he will be mid 13s if he isn't already! And the Kinetix IM

I'm gonna try to go to the track ASAP. Maybe we could set up a day.

Tell your daughter to bring the Lude! Lol.
Old 03-05-2010 | 08:15 AM
Drifting

He needs a tune! Raise that rev limit and tune with UTEC or Technosquare I believe and he will be mid 13s if he isn't already! And the Kinetix IM

I'm gonna try to go to the track ASAP. Maybe we could set up a day.

Tell your daughter to bring the Lude! Lol.
Are you sure you wanna check out the Lude? haha jk.

But those Preludes are nice. I've always wanted to get one back when i was still in high school.
Old 03-05-2010 | 11:17 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by '03TL-S
Are you sure you wanna check out the Lude? haha jk..

good question...
Old 03-07-2010 | 01:19 PM
All motor

Originally Posted by '03TL-S
Are you sure you wanna check out the Lude? haha jk.
LOL

No, no it's not like that. It's always fun to take a car to the track stock and see how each mod changes it. I did not do this with the Accord and wish I did! I think I have an idea of how I would've done stock tho because I'm pretty sure my ECU detuned a few times when I trapped 97.xx. Let me tell you it felt like a totally different car vs. ~101 trap.
Old 03-07-2010 | 04:57 PM
The Dumb One

the Auto's hold their own

for the class they are in they are still competitive in the fun factor and even in power.

Mines the 5spd Type-SH and it definately delivers in making even the shortest commutes a blast.

will it run 12's? no... but out of all my past honda/acura's this one definately has that balsy feel when vtec engages.

im staying away from the power mods and getting it back to brand new shape and reliable. i hope to keep this one in the garage for years to come no matter what other cars i decide to pick up.

now if i could only find a diecast or toy version