3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Much better looking Carbon Fiber that what is in the Type S right now.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the support. Yeah I never said that the kit you got looks bad at all. I actually like it. I was just pointing out that they have a real carbon fiber kit. Hell I know how it is. When I got my MOMO wheels I got the crap bashed out of them..then people started to actually like them. It's a community of support on here. That's what I aim to do. Support and provide info on products and help on problems. Sorry if you took what I said as bashing but I was just providing alternatives. Looks great!

Originally Posted by ATLTypeS
Actually re-reading all of this, I dont think izmyttz is out of line at all. He is just saying, you guys are promoting a real CF kit that is not in fact REAL CF. If you say this simulated CF looks better then the stock simulated CF, then fair enough, but do not advertise it as something that it is not.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Racer

just to make sure i contribute to this thread..here was the website that had the real and simulated carbon fiber kits for the TL..the 04-06 should be the same as the 07-08 interior..if i'm wrong someone please correct me with the reason why.

http://www.customautotrim.com/dashki...4-2005/dk1580/
Old 06-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Banned

I hate the wood in my car

CF would look 1000000% better
Old 06-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Originally Posted by izmyttz
just to make sure i contribute to this thread..here was the website that had the real and simulated carbon fiber kits for the TL..the 04-06 should be the same as the 07-08 interior..if i'm wrong someone please correct me with the reason why.

http://www.customautotrim.com/dashki...4-2005/dk1580/

This is the same diagram that came with my kit. I see the real carbon fiber is $367.41...Wow!
Old 06-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Instructor

From what I've seen and experienced a real carbon fiber overlay is pretty expensive and they are never "easy" to bend due to the resin being very hard.

Wish some of the people selling these kits these days were better informed and/or not liars!

Thanks for sharing the kit with us.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Racer

edited by ggesq

Check your PM
Old 06-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by sensualscorpion15
that link you posted for the carbon fiber on e-bay is totally nonsense and looks fake as hell!!!.............my carbon fiber is the real deal!!!.......................once you see it in person you will be in love with it......................it also has the "acura" in gold right above the nav screen................like steve said,some may like it,some may not but these kits are hot right now and have been selling like mad.....so if you have a nice hooked-up tl or a really nice type-s like my 2008.........then this REAL carbon fiber kit is the way to go...................thanks in advance for all that are interested and just drop me an e-mail and ill get them out to you asap!!!!!
Old 06-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by sensualscorpion15
whatever the case may be,some of us like it and some do not.no one is forcing anyone to purchase it.......it is purely a matter of taste and opinion like steve said.........if you dont like it,just say its not for you and move on.dont call it fake,or cheap,or anything like that..............in other words if you dont have anything positive or nice to say then dont say anything at all!!!!..................it is a really nice looking kit,it is available for sale and it is definetly alot better than the original one..........and i have a brand new 2008 type-s and i wouldnt get anything on my ride unless it was the best!!!!......all my mods are top quality............with that, all the best to my fellow acura dudes...............
Old 06-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Sorry you are unhappy Niel but if someone says something is real for $285 but real actually costs almost $100 more its important to let people know its a fake so they don't make an uninformed purchase. Especially when there are less expensive fakes available.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
hey steve, glad you like it, it does appear to be a little overkill for me, but thats what taste is all about....

it does indeed appear to be faux carbon fibre, and yes, real carbon fibre is not flexable at all, its very stiff...that would be abs plastic, with carbon look overlay....just like the oem stuff...which i dont mind, its not any different then the faux wood that most cars come with....
Old 06-09-2008, 08:38 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
korrupted, I totally understand what you're saying. It IS a matter of taste. For me, the fake carbon fiber in the Type S now wasn't cutting it for me. It was obviously fake-you couldn't see the differentiation between the black and silver threads. So this is definately a step up. But again, it's not for everyone's taste.
Ah, you DO realize that what you put on IS "fake" Carbon-Fiber pieces, right? REAL CF doesn't "bend" at all...
Old 06-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Team Owner

vinn, thanks for your input. I knew you might think it's alittle over the top. I actually sat in my car again and looked at the kit. To be honest, the pieces on the facing center console (where the Nav screen and the radio are) blend in, so much to the point where I don't see them that much. The one piece that might be overkill is above the glove compartment. I originally tried to install pieces that fit only over the fake carbon fiber that came in the car originally.

Ironically, I actually went back and read my own original posting. Guys, if you look at the title of the post and what I originally said, I did NOT say this was real carbon fiber. I simply said that this is much better than what was in the Type S originally. So if I led anyone in the wrong direction-I'm sorry my comments were misconstrued.

But a few people at the beginning of the post asked where I got the kit and how much it cost and I simply answered their question.

Again, sorry for the confusion. Actually, I was excited to show you the kit. Now.....
Old 06-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So you put more fake CF on top of fake CF
Old 06-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
It's okay Steven Bell! I think it looks pretty good [minus some areas such as the side vents]. Some areas look pretty good in CF, though.
It's your own personal opinion, if you like it that's great! Some like it .. some don't, some are neutral.... it was bound to happen.
If your attitude is good about it then that's awesome, unlike someone in the past with the WDP.
On the bright side, atleast you didn't overkill it for real with CF everywhere imagineable such as---entire dash, armrest, door panels, roof, steering wheel... the plastic thing aruond the seats. See, now THAT would've been an issue!
Old 06-09-2008, 09:18 PM

Received 5,935 Likes on 2,927 Posts
Originally Posted by JJaber06
So? If the OP thinks it looks better, who cares if it's fake over fake.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Team Owner

THANK YOU TTRIBE !!!

Yes, I put fake stuff over fake stuff-it looks MUCH better than what you get with the car.....MUCH BETTER.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:48 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Actually guys... You're both right... Or both wrong. Clearly you guys have never dealt in CF parts before.

What you have Steve is CF Overlay. It's one simple peice of CF that has been domed with an epoxy then cut with a special machine. That kit isn't worth more than $100 bought, and more than $20 to make (if you have the proper machine that makes these kits)...

What people here tend to confuse as fake vs real, is the implied cost of creating a CF PART. Creating a casting then layering CF/epoxy over and over again to build up a stong PART that would replace a stock piece costs... well a fortune to make. these are considered "real" parts. Clearly, you can't have real parts everywhere you installed them, unless you replaced the dash, so in many cases and overlay

Also recognize, the hatin is usually based on CF parts being installed to replace heavy parts. The performance implications of replacing parts with equally strong CF parts is raw weight savings. Installing a CF overlay with no implied performance is... well ricey in many's eyes. Fo other's it's apurely an aestetic styling que... as it was with Acura engineers, considering the OEM pieces.

You likely have real CF, but it's a real CF overlay. That shit on ebay is likely real CF, but is a simple cheap overlay too. They're likely sourced from the same manufacturer... I'd suspect mimousa.com.

I have a set of (mimousa) real CFoverlays on my a-pillars... They looks sharp. I think the stock interior CF, albeit fake, looks more real than the REAL CF overlays you installed... but that's my opinion.

Hope it's clear now. $285 was a lot of money for that kit, and there ain't no difference in those kits between 04 and 08.

FWIW... I went the extra mile to repalce my fake wood with the fake OEM CF.

The fake overlay kits are even cheaper in they don't use real CF as the underlayment. They use vinyl that looks like CF... which makes the end product even cheaper to make
Old 06-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Team Owner

Kennedy...You Rock sir !!! Thank you for everything you wrote and the pictures as well. I think you have the final word on everything in this post, which is great. I wish I had talked to you BEFORE I bought my kit-I could have saved alot of money.

Thanks again for everything. I really appreciate it.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Racer

great idea! looks hot. How much did it run you to do all the doors and the center console?

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Actually guys... You're both right... Or both wrong. Clearly you guys have never dealt in CF parts before.

What you have Steve is CF Overlay. It's one simple peice of CF that has been domed with an epoxy then cut with a special machine. That kit isn't worth more than $100 bought, and more than $20 to make (if you have the proper machine that makes these kits)...

What people here tend to confuse as fake vs real, is the implied cost of creating a CF PART. Creating a casting then layering CF/epoxy over and over again to build up a stong PART that would replace a stock piece costs... well a fortune to make. these are considered "real" parts. Clearly, you can't have real parts everywhere you installed them, unless you replaced the dash, so in many cases and overlay

Also recognize, the hatin is usually based on CF parts being installed to replace heavy parts. The performance implications of replacing parts with equally strong CF parts is raw weight savings. Installing a CF overlay with no implied performance is... well ricey in many's eyes. Fo other's it's apurely an aestetic styling que... as it was with Acura engineers, considering the OEM pieces.

You likely have real CF, but it's a real CF overlay. That shit on ebay is likely real CF, but is a simple cheap overlay too. They're likely sourced from the same manufacturer... I'd suspect mimousa.com.

I have a set of (mimousa) real CFoverlays on my a-pillars... They looks sharp. I think the stock interior CF, albeit fake, looks more real than the REAL CF overlays you installed... but that's my opinion.

Hope it's clear now. $285 was a lot of money for that kit, and there ain't no difference in those kits between 04 and 08.

FWIW... I went the extra mile to repalce my fake wood with the fake OEM CF.

The fake overlay kits are even cheaper in they don't use real CF as the underlayment. They use vinyl that looks like CF... which makes the end product even cheaper to make
Old 06-09-2008, 10:48 PM
The Kinetics of Bleu

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[/QUOTE]
The fake overlay kits are even cheaper in they don't use real CF as the underlayment. They use vinyl that looks like CF... which makes the end product even cheaper to make[/QUOTE]
Kenedy I agree with this part of what you say. He has a fake overlay kit. "real" carbon fiber is a woven fabric. In the case of these overlay parts there are 2 options real "woven fabric" or fake "vinyl" coated in epoxy. I think what everyone is trying to say is that his dash kit is vinyl covered in epoxy. I'm not tryng to be rude or say it doesn't look good, just stating facts....
Old 06-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Instructor

I think I'd rather have fake wood than fake CF...at least when people see it they know what it's supposed to be, not shiny black plastic.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:05 PM
07 TL-S

Originally Posted by JJaber06
lol. sorry for this to be my first post but i was thinking the same thing. and the sticker around the navi screen is awful.

the tl-s interior is great stock, some things just don't need to be messed with.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:45 PM
Ricer Killer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flavour
lol. sorry for this to be my first post but i was thinking the same thing. and the sticker around the navi screen is awful.

the tl-s interior is great stock, some things just don't need to be messed with.
everyone is entitled to their own dude. dont offer a biting critique on someones car, it really hurts to hear people trash your car. if YOU like it stock, thats your opinion. you dont need to use 'awful' to describe someone's car. and this doesnt only apply to you, there are others attacking his car.

personally, i think that Steven Bell's new setup looks great, making his car more aggressive. i really appreciate how much effort he put into this mod and his willingness to help others on this forum. nice pictures were posted, along with prices and contact information. he did his research- give him the credit he deserves for all he has done.

now about the CF...it might not be real, but at least he took the initiative(along with others with CF now) to do something. Everyone else here is just bashing his car and his tastes. its a shame how some ppl on this forum lack maturity.

again, to Steven Bell, i personally think that the CF looks great, even though i wont do the mod myself. your car looks aggressive and if YOU LIKE IT, that is all that seriously matters. there will always be haters.

constructive criticism ppl...seriously. no rude diction plz.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:47 AM
Lazy Idiot

Originally Posted by o4Komodo
Oh, I see. Thanks for clarifying that for me... but then whats that 'button' for?
Nothing, i would presume.

Seriously, somebody on the forum used the slot for a switch that cycled between video sources when paired with a Nav2go.
For the 04-06 the stalk is where the fog light switch is (US Spec, i remember reading the canadian market got DRL's from 04)

Very interested in the price and source as well, it really looks better than the carbon fiber on my car.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:31 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

ismttyz,
for all 4 doors trims, and the the two dsh cubby's, it was about $300 or so as I recall.

The fake overlay kits are even cheaper in they don't use real CF as the underlayment. They use vinyl that looks like CF... which makes the end product even cheaper to make[/QUOTE]
Kenedy I agree with this part of what you say. He has a fake overlay kit. "real" carbon fiber is a woven fabric. In the case of these overlay parts there are 2 options real "woven fabric" or fake "vinyl" coated in epoxy. I think what everyone is trying to say is that his dash kit is vinyl covered in epoxy. I'm not tryng to be rude or say it doesn't look good, just stating facts....[/QUOTE]

My a-pillar overlay kit is real CF that has been domed in epoxy. His looks the same as mine. I fail to see...

1) What difference it makes, they look nearly identical.

2) How you can tell from the pics he posted. If you look really close, you can see the mesh weave. Looks like real CF overlay to me.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:48 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
the key here being looks real....haveing dealt with real carbon fibre in many other applications, it doenst look like real cf, but again, either does the oem stuff....either way, i dont really care, i like the look, but its a little to much for my taste, but again tast is well, taste...like the shift knob, i liked it soo much i put the same one on my car, but some didnt like it...
Old 06-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Team Owner

Possible Alternative

For those of you who like the Interior Kit, you might consider purchasing a kit for your car, but not using all of the pieces. Originally, I put on ONLY the pieces where there was already fake carbon fiber in the TL. That looked really good and AGAIN, I personally feel like it's a HUGE upgrade from what comes standard in the car.

From there, I just layed other pieces that came with the kit onto the car without permenantly applying them-just to see how they looked. At that point, you can make your own judgement call.

As I originally said (which is also the name of this thread), the Interior Kit is a big upgrade to what comes on the car-in my opinion. You don't have to use all the pieces that come in the kit.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Racer

i don't see that..i see little silver blocks that are in rows

2) How you can tell from the pics he posted. If you look really close, you can see the mesh weave. Looks like real CF overlay to me.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:23 PM
The Kinetics of Bleu

x2!!
I'll post this again...
UA6Spec's carbon fiber interior...
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...l+carbon+fiber
Old 06-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Ricer Killer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its the weaving dude.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:12 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by TLAdvanced
x2!!
I'll post this again...
UA6Spec's carbon fiber interior...
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...l+carbon+fiber

and again... the difference between a molded carbon fiber PART (as in what UA6spec made) versus a simple CF overlay. Two completely different animals.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Racer

Clean Rice You Said It All And All That You Said Is Soooo True!!!!!!!!.....props To You For Being The First One On This Whole Thread To Make Any Sense!!!!!!..............if You Like It.......real Or Fake Doesnt Matter,and You Can Purchase It,if You Dont,then Go About Your Business,dont Buy It And Just Move On........no Need For Any Harsh Or Offensive Comments............anyone Can Bash Anyone Elses Car And Say,hey Mines Newer That Your Old Bomb.........now Would That Make Any Sense Or Get Anyone Anywhere????..............no .........so With That Lets Just All End It.................dead Issue...............
Old 06-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i prefer the stock stuff..what you have is just a little too much for me. but hey if you like it then

as for the ppl that are bashing him..come on now..there are plenty of uglier things ppl have done to their cars..

not your cup of tea? then dont do it
Old 06-10-2008, 07:57 PM
The Kinetics of Bleu

and again... the difference between a molded carbon fiber PART (as in what UA6spec made) versus a simple CF overlay. Two completely different animals.
I believe the only molded part is the 2 next to the shifter. The rest are overlays... Whatever, I think what I am referring to is NOT the point of them being molded or overlays. What I am saying almost sems as if it should be discussed in Ramblings. I am just saying as you did that there is a difference between real carbon fiber a (woven fabric) and fake carbon (a vinyl). It makes absolutely no difference for this discussion if it is a molded PART or an overlay. Real carbon fiber can be an overlay too.........
Old 06-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Racer

weaving my a**! maybe on the stock stuff..on the simulated carbon kit it's little painted silver checks...duh

Originally Posted by Clean>Rice
its the weaving dude.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:29 PM
07 TL-S

Originally Posted by Clean>Rice
everyone is entitled to their own dude. dont offer a biting critique on someones car, it really hurts to hear people trash your car. if YOU like it stock, thats your opinion. you dont need to use 'awful' to describe someone's car. and this doesnt only apply to you, there are others attacking his car.

personally, i think that Steven Bell's new setup looks great, making his car more aggressive. i really appreciate how much effort he put into this mod and his willingness to help others on this forum. nice pictures were posted, along with prices and contact information. he did his research- give him the credit he deserves for all he has done.

now about the CF...it might not be real, but at least he took the initiative(along with others with CF now) to do something. Everyone else here is just bashing his car and his tastes. its a shame how some ppl on this forum lack maturity.

again, to Steven Bell, i personally think that the CF looks great, even though i wont do the mod myself. your car looks aggressive and if YOU LIKE IT, that is all that seriously matters. there will always be haters.

constructive criticism ppl...seriously. no rude diction plz.
wow, sensitive bunch here. i hardly called his car awful, just the carbon fiber sticker around the navi. i thought someone named clean>rice would appreciate that

and actually, now that i read the first post again, he called what i have "fake crap" (irony anyone?), so please feel free to write the same thing to him
Old 06-11-2008, 09:11 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Anytime someone talks/puts pics up about these dash kits there is always this kind of polarized discussion.

I just have to say that that I believe there has to be a medium. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and free say. At the same time I think it is very easy to be really rude and insulting. Why can't people learn to compromise between the 2??? If you don't like something, sure you can say so, but there's a way to do it. Or you can say whatever you want, and trust me, nobody in life is going to like you very much.

My opinion is those who don't like dash kits at all must love Saabs. Those interiors are so plain and dead. I like accents in the car, keeps things alive and interesting. I think ua6spec's interior is great because of the shimmer of the real stuff. I would have kept the aluminum accents and not done the blue. I'd like to see someone try this. I would do it if I was more interested. I'm just fine with my car as-is. As for Steven's car I think it looks good overall though I would have used less pieces.

Now can we all talk like this children? Thank you.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Senior Moderator

OP has requested that this thread be closed.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Guys, here's the details....

First, these are pieces that come in the kit. They are precut (VERY well done) and they already have 2 sided tape on them. You just peel off the other side and place on the car. They are flexible pieces, so they're easy to position and put on the car.

Second, my Type S is a 2007, so the fog light switches ARE on the turn signal, so that extra space is not where the fog light switch goes.

Third, I got these with the help of another AcuraZiner "sensualscorpion" (Neil). The kit cost $285 (plus shipping) and you can e-mail Neil at sensualscorpion1@aol.com. Neil said he would be happy to help others get a kit too.

Guys, let me tell you-this really looks good in the car. It's not overdone. They pieces are real good quality, they're flexible-so they're easy to place. They just go on top of the pieces already there on the car. You just peel the tape off the back on put on !!! You're done.

Here's another picture of the center console. This was done so well that the manufacturer even put the DTS logo and the ELS logo on the Carbon Fiber pieces.

You might think this is too much, but if you don't like it, you don't have to put it on the car.