3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Trend Long Term Test 04 TL-merged with thread started 10/8/05

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 11:58 PM
04 Anthracite,6spd,No Nav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is what my dash has done, turned milky white. It happened to me just after the dealer had me bring it in for its paint seal appointment. They detailed while it was there and it only took the dash a couple of months to turn ( I double checked my service records). It went from bad to worse and the dealer has acknowledged this is a serious problem.

Let me mention that I do not take my TL to full service car washes, I don't like their cleaning products or the swirls left when drying.

If your dash is fading bring it in proto and get it documented.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:02 AM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
0-60 in the back of the mag is 0-60 in 6.3
Old 10-11-2005, 07:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The review was fairly accurate in that the car's steering could be improved. The point where they said they need better rubber on the car to accomplish this was amusing since they could get better tires, but they have been going lower and lower in profile and they really cannot get much lower. the 99TL had 60s the 01-03 S models had 50s and the 3Gs have 45s that are W rated.

The tire changes alone ought to provide more feedback to the driver. I would agree that it is more of a commuter car than a driver's car.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:57 AM
Bobz

Originally Posted by Nello1
This is what my dash has done, turned milky white. It happened to me just after the dealer had me bring it in for its paint seal appointment. They detailed while it was there and it only took the dash a couple of months to turn ( I double checked my service records). It went from bad to worse and the dealer has acknowledged this is a serious problem.

Let me mention that I do not take my TL to full service car washes, I don't like their cleaning products or the swirls left when drying.

If your dash is fading bring it in proto and get it documented.
I did not realize the fading to a milky white issue was widespread until I read the Motor Trend article. I thought it was just my car. Now I see where it is so widespread it is separately reported on in this web-site. This is a great forum for these types of issues. It makes it more difficult for Acura to stonewall problems like this. Acura should be recommending a specific approved remedy for this defect, instead of letting owners try their own solutions which may end of harming the dash even more.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:05 AM
04 Anthracite,6spd,No Nav

Having a 04 6spd, I have noticed torque steer plenty of times. It’s never a problem during everyday driving unless you can't drive a stick. I do worry about my wife popping the clutch and taking something out because their is so much torque. During hard acceleration a tight grip on the wheel is all you really need. However, if you are stomping on the pedal and get a little water under the wheels from say, sprinkler water, it can give you a bit of a scare. For example, I decided to punch it last night (a paper plate Mercedes that was revving on me) and that is exactly what happened. My car yanked a hard left jolt directly towards this guy I was racing. (Not really racing, first one to 60 wins, then I let off) That dude must have S**T when he saw my car take a quick dart in the direction of his new car. Yes, had I not been racing, holding on tight and had the VSA on (I assume it was working, I didn't really notice it happened so quick) my car and his would be in the local body shop. If Acura has fixed the problem in their 6spd that is great news. However, being as sporty as this car is with all its power I just couldn't get an AT, with or without torque steer, especially with the sweet looking BIG Brembos on the front at no extra charge. My point is yes torque steer is a problem, but if you want a 6spd don't let that be your reasoning against it. If they would just stop fighting the rear or AWD thing that could easily correct this, its the only true answer for this problem.