Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Silk

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 02:33 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor Silk

A family member of mine has been touting a new product called "Motor Silk", which they heard about through a radio program in the NY area. Apparently its not really an oil additive since it only needs to be used once. Here's how it supposedly works.

Boric acid reacts with the metal surfaces in the presence of water vapor and oxygen forming boric oxide. The boric oxide attaches itself via ionic, covalent and hydrogen bonds to virtually any metal surface and creates multiple platelet layers of boric acid on top.

There's more on their website, but basically it significantly decreases friction and wear and consequently increases performance and fuel effieciency. It's also "apparently" being used by the US government and experimented with by other auto makers.

If anyone has an opinion or experience with this product I'd greatly appreciate it. Thnx.
-d

Maker and distributer website (respectively)
<a href="http://www.autosystemsinc.com/products.htm">Auto Systems Inc</a>
<a href="http://www.motorbond.com/">Motor Bond</a>
Old 12-27-2004, 03:57 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Ridiculous. Boric ACID? Puhleez.

Boron can be an effective antiwear/anti-friction additive when used by tribologists who know what they are doing. I posted on Motor Silk previously.

It never ceases to amaze that people fall for these snake oils, and that they would risk expensive engines pouring in something from someone with unknown credentials.

In the 1930's, it was found that chlorine was a great EP additive - until it started chewing up engines!!! Still used is some of those Falex demos by unscrupulous snake oils salesmen.

Let me just state an ol' RR truism: When it comes to engine supplements, there are NO miracles in a bottle.

Next!
Old 12-27-2004, 04:37 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RR - Have you ever heard of an fuel additive that is suppose to make standard gasoline more effective (i.e. better fuel economy)? A friend of mine said he was approached by a "broker" (I intentionally use the term loosely in this context) who said that he could buy a share of the technology. The company would then sell this "enhanced" fuel to countries/governments from which he would then profit. Although I warned him against this, he made a $6,700 "investment/contribution" about 8 months ago and he just got a call two weeks ago telling him that they sold this to some country and that he should expect his first "royalty payment" around the 1st quarter of 2005 of nearly $70,000. IMHO it is a scam and I warned him of that originally and cautioned him once more not to "add" any additional funds based on this more recent comments (as the promise of more $ is a WELL known scammers tactic as it appeals to peoples greed). Ever heard of such a thing or do you know of online documentation of the fraud/scam itself? Being the leading "Fluid Gurus" on here, I figured you would be one of the first to hear it.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:54 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ndabunka
RR - Have you ever heard of an fuel additive that is suppose to make standard gasoline more effective (i.e. better fuel economy)? A friend of mine said he was approached by a "broker" (I intentionally use the term loosely in this context) who said that he could buy a share of the technology. The company would then sell this "enhanced" fuel to countries/governments from which he would then profit. Although I warned him against this, he made a $6,700 "investment/contribution" about 8 months ago and he just got a call two weeks ago telling him that they sold this to some country and that he should expect his first "royalty payment" around the 1st quarter of 2005 of nearly $70,000. IMHO it is a scam and I warned him of that originally and cautioned him once more not to "add" any additional funds based on this more recent comments (as the promise of more $ is a WELL known scammers tactic as it appeals to peoples greed). Ever heard of such a thing or do you know of online documentation of the fraud/scam itself? Being the leading "Fluid Gurus" on here, I figured you would be one of the first to hear it.
Same answer - there are no miracles in a bottle - this is obviously a scam. It reeks of appealing to the gullible.