Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moleskin Update

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 04:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moleskin Update

i just got my tint done (see pics here https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...980#post974980)

i'll note to all, if you choose the shortcut method of lifting the door panel top in order to remove the wipe, you'll most likely put unsightly crimps into the top panel piece (as another poster has already posted). i was weary of that fact and while at the tinter they wanted to fold down the top wipe in order to get tint down low on the glass. when they did that i noticed the wipe when it flipped back up stayed in like a corrogated shape (only one small section was tested this way). so i personally removed the wipes before they tinted (they did not want to touch the door panel). i carefully did the shortcut method and now i have slight crimps in the panel. can only be seen under the right light right angle.

so, i suggest that the proper safe way is to remove the whole door panel to get at the wipes.

and btw, to get the screws out behind the door handle you'll need either a fine pick or very tiny screwdriver to pry the very small latch on the screw panel itself.

hope this helps.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
my tinted urges that the tint they use will not be scratched by the wipers, so he says moleskin is not needed, he will ever warranty his tint not to scratch... don't know if i should trust him or not
Old 10-08-2004, 06:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cTLgo
my tinted urges that the tint they use will not be scratched by the wipers, so he says moleskin is not needed, he will ever warranty his tint not to scratch... don't know if i should trust him or not
my tinter basically said "tint can always scratch, so i can't gurantee that it won't"

i believe his statement. getting a piece of sand stuck there somehow someway will prove him (your tinter) wrong, but if he will replace it then fine. my tinter was honest and did a nice job, but i just want to avoid the hassle of it scratching and having it replaced.

also, just search this forum and you'll find many who have scratched tint. moleskin is a safeguard, not a cure.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
oh trust me cvajs, i've read the threads, i'm very weary of believing the guy. i cant get it tinted for at least another 3 weeks, plenty of time for me to install moleskin.. i'm just not sure...
Old 10-08-2004, 07:34 PM
Banned

That is why I include both sets of directions with my Mole skin Kit.

1. Door panel removal
2. "No tools" instructions.

It's your choice. Either way it’s less than an hour to install it.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by flnsx
That is why I include both sets of directions with my Mole skin Kit.

1. Door panel removal
2. "No tools" instructions.

It's your choice. Either way it’s less than an hour to install it.
why? because cTLgo does not trust his tinter???

or are you referring to the fact that there are 2 very simple ways to take out the door windor wiper? "No Tools"?? i dont think so, you still need tools even to use the shortcut method.

since the shortcut may cause damage, i would only suggest that anyone doing moleskin to remove the whole door panel.

however, i don't include any directions when i send out free moleskin. i "see" that your "kit" does.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:53 PM
Banned

More Moleskin

just a fyi for those needing moleskin.

with me being so busy i over-ordered my supply and now have over 600ft of this stuff.

if you need it, i got it.

and just another fyi, today i put back my wipes and they have been in the cold for about a week now. i inspected the stickiness of the felt and it seems to be sticking on ok, but i do notice that the colder it gets the easier it is for this stuff to peel.

cheers.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:26 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Adhesive

Good to see that it adheres good in the cold. But how about the hot summer months? A lot of adhesives become tacky and then start to slowly slide off during high temps. Is the moleskin adhesive made for these conditions? Anyone with hot weather experience?