Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moisture in Headlight after BLACK OUT

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moisture in Headlight after BLACK OUT

Hey guys, i put the headlights back in today, and i had it professionally done, (the headlgihts blackened out) and the both of the whole headlights are fogging up terribly, im very frustratd right now, can anyone help me please. thanks alot

- crazymonkeyTL

I would post pics, but i wanted to putup a fast thread, so i cna get feedback,

anhy feeedback is good !
Old 09-09-2007, 09:56 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Wow professionally done and moisture ALREADY?

Alright so you can take em back to the shop and be like "wtf is this?" Or you let the TL sit in the sun with your turnsignals out so the moisture can get out. Someone gave me that advice on here.

What I did was, I let it sit in the sun and didn't really do anything physical with it, and it actually just fixed itself on its own. Havent had a problem since I saw get it checked out by the "pro" first

Good luck man

PS-You have to admit they looked sweet before they got fogged up
Old 09-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Racer

Ok, bad news about the shop, I had the headlights taken by a good friend and taken to Puetro Rico, im in chicago, he brought it there, they were done there, then brought back here, i have no way to get back to the professionals lol.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:28 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Well that kinda sucks.

From what I've read, you're getting moisture in where the light was re-sealed. I've seen it suggested that the lights should be kept out of rain/carwash for a couple days to make sure the epoxy is fully cured.

Also, yesterday, I read a thread that suggested a "finishing" layer of clear silicone could be added where the lights are re-sealed as an extra level of moisture protection - if you can get the lights out and the previous suggestion does not work, this may be an option.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Racer

I appreciate it, any more suggestions !!!
Old 09-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem myself. Your headlight is basically leaking, it's not sealed off completly but the problem is really easy to fix.
Take it all apart again. first, use black silicone to seal your headlights together, make sure its fitted really well. Then after its together, put more black silicone around the gap. make sure there are no holes leaking. Don't be afraid to use too much silicone, you won't be able to see it anyways once its on. The more the better
after installing it back on, wait for like 2-3 days or longer, then wash your car to test if it still leaks. Mines stopped leaking after i redid it. Good luck
Old 09-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
why in hell did you get them done in PR?
Old 09-09-2007, 11:55 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^ yah seriously

do you go there for dental work too? =p
Old 09-10-2007, 05:03 AM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
either take it apart and do it yourself so that you know there is enough silicone to have a good seal, and then def put another layer on top of it after it is arleady sealed to be sure like mentioned above.

most of edges of the headlight will not be visible once it is installed anyway so be liberal with the silicone on those spots just to be sure.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:32 PM
Racer

thx, dont bash the Puetro Ricans lol, alright im going to redo the whole entire headlights, take em both apart, and use "black" silicon?
Old 09-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Intermediate

yes use black silicone. Since you are going to black out your headlights, black silicone would be less visible to see. Just put lots of black silicones around your headlight, fill in all noticeable gap. Once you install them, you cant see it anyways.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:28 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I've heard the OEM Nissan stuff works the best to reseal headlights. It comes in a roll and holds up much better than the silicone that everyone else has been using. Use silica gel packets to get some of the moisture of for now...
Old 09-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Racer

This is a pic a full day after it fogged up. and the other one was fogged up as well.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Racer

Old 09-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Nikon Neck Beard Krew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thank god im not the only one...
Even with all the suggested methods above ive had problems with mine. I still am left puzzled though.

4 Days after i resealed mine they fogged up in the inside corner, and the very outside corner just from driving around??? Hadnt rained or anything. I washed the car that night and had no leaking...Ive parked it facing the sun ever since then but if i drive for more than 20min i get a small inch square of fog on the inside corner, that normally goes away in a hour or so. (nothing like crazeymonkey's).

What am i missing here?
Old 09-10-2007, 03:09 PM
it's 4:20

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That leak looks pretty bad. Did you just wash it before the pic? I would remove the lights and reseal with black silicon, let them sit in the sun with all lamps out. Then be careful when washing, no pressure washers...

I wonder how much that costs????
Old 09-10-2007, 03:14 PM
Intermediate

lol guys, don't be scare to use too much of those black silicone, i would use more than necessary if possible just to double make sure it is completely sealed so that no water will get in. you cant see it once you installed it!! :P
Old 09-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Racer

ok so just to recap everything, just take out the headlights again, and take the lens and assembly apart, and take off all the existing silicon, then clean out and leave in sun the existing moisture, then silicion the shit out of them backup, using more than needed silicion, and using what kind of silicion? black or clear? im only 17 lol im a noob with cars
Old 09-10-2007, 04:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
here is the stuff KSuchdeve was talking about...it's an OEM gasket sealer, kinda like Hondabond. It works great!

http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=5577&rsku=0

...you can also use regular black silicone from an auto shop (autozone, pep boys, etc) but it doesn't work as well IMO
Old 09-10-2007, 07:06 PM
FizzyStatus!

yeah that nissan stuff is badass. I was about to get it but decided just to go with regular black and clear silicone which worked fine
Old 09-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Racer

ok, so let me understand this,

http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=5577&rsku=0 is like a silicion? or what?

if u can just explain the process that goes along with this product, sorry for all the question asking, im going to take off the front bumper in a few days and am going to attempt this.

since im redoing the headlights, u guys think I should throw some angel eyes on ? lol
Old 09-10-2007, 09:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
I have never done this mod, but I feel this advise would be helpful. Be sure to properly prepare the surface before applying the silicone. Use a solvent to degrease all surfaces before applying the silicone.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:00 PM
7th Gear

All you have to do is drill two small holes get the smallest drill bit you can find and drill two small holes underneath head lights. This will allow the moisture to escape and it will be good. I had a taillight fog up on me in my old mustang and buddy told me to drill the holes and it worked. The moisture left the light within 24 hours and never had the problem again. If you don’t feel comfortable with doing then try to hold out a couple days and see what happens. Most likely if the moisture is there it is there to stay because it can not escape once and it will only get worse. For a permanent non jay rigged fix you will need to take them apart get the moisture out and then re-seal them.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:06 PM
Racer

lol im relyin on paz to give me the info on that stuff... !)(
Old 10-29-2007, 05:18 PM
Racer

I just noticed one of my headlights is out and it has water condensation in it. The headlight is full stock, unmodified. No problems with it prior, until now. My TL just passed 4-yr warranty expiration 2 months ago...damnit! It sounds like my problem is the same as others that blacked out their headlights unsuccessfully. So theoretically, if I can get the headlight dried out, my HID should work again? I'm hoping it's not a ballast problem which would mean $$$. Can I just replace the whole headlight assembly? Seen them on ebay for about $100.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:17 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBluu
I just noticed one of my headlights is out and it has water condensation in it. The headlight is full stock, unmodified. No problems with it prior, until now. My TL just passed 4-yr warranty expiration 2 months ago...damnit! It sounds like my problem is the same as others that blacked out their headlights unsuccessfully. So theoretically, if I can get the headlight dried out, my HID should work again? I'm hoping it's not a ballast problem which would mean $$$. Can I just replace the whole headlight assembly? Seen them on ebay for about $100.
you have a different problem. for those who blacked out their lights, they baked them, cracked them open, cleared them, then sealed them up again. During this time moisture can get inside, and if they dont bake them again after resealing, or they arent resealed properly, they will fog up again.

In your case, you probably had a bad rain storm and water got up inside, flooding your ballast, which would short it, and inside your headlight somehow (it should be sealed though, dont know how water can get inside...
You probably need a new ballast, maybe a new headlight casing...
Old 10-29-2007, 08:01 PM
FOR SALE - BM

is it possible that the rubber gromets where the headlights, turn signal, and fog lights are bad. I have blacked my lights out and i have taken apart my bumper and redid my lights at least 5-7 times. everytime i think i have it nailed, it fogs up a little. just the drivers side headlight. a very light fog, not like the pictures posted above. i have used clear silicone and im sure its completely sealed. ever since my last time, i only get a little fog, but only when it is really humid outside.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sT04Louis
Thank god im not the only one...
Even with all the suggested methods above ive had problems with mine. I still am left puzzled though.

4 Days after i resealed mine they fogged up in the inside corner, and the very outside corner just from driving around??? Hadnt rained or anything. I washed the car that night and had no leaking...Ive parked it facing the sun ever since then but if i drive for more than 20min i get a small inch square of fog on the inside corner, that normally goes away in a hour or so. (nothing like crazeymonkey's).

What am i missing here?
I am going through the eact same situation. I have resealed the headlight 3 times. I put so much silicone, it took a while just to fit the headlights back in correctly. I dont understand any way air is getting in, yet it still tends to fog up. However, rain and water is not going in. What do i need to do? Please help sum1!!
Old 11-11-2007, 01:30 AM
FizzyStatus!

draztic...do you let it dry once you take the headlights out or just reseal em? Because I dont think that would really solve your problem
Old 11-11-2007, 09:17 AM
Racer

I took them out, heated them up, squeezed the headlights together even more, let it cool, then i put a whole lot of silicone around the whole headlight. I mean a lot. Yet, just as described, i tend to always get some fog on the inside corner and on the outside corner of the lens, on both headlights. I know i didn't miss a spot. What could it be? Any way to fix this?
Old 11-12-2007, 09:16 AM
FOR SALE - BM

i have the same problem. i get a tiny bit of fog on the drivers side light, in the very corner, where the amber portion is. i have not had a problem lately. try this.
plug up all the holes (headlight, turn signal, etc) leave one hole open. i put a foot pump in 1 hole and placed some sort of putty i had laying around to make a temporary seal. pumped the air into the light and sprayed fantastic on the seam of the headlight. if there is a hole, it will bubble like crazy. reseal the light.. i know i have sealed the seam of the light very well, but everyonce in a while i get a little bit of fog. mostly depends on the humidity. the only thing i can think is that one of the holes in the back. 1 of the holes for one of the lights is not making a air tight seal and it may be leaking from there. hope this helps..
Old 11-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Another area everyone could look at is where the 9006 foglight bulb sits. After I blacked mine out, I reinstalled the 9006 bulbs and noticed that they don't seat very snug at all. This basically means that there is no air tight seal in any way. The 3 screws on the base of the bulbs are tightened all the way as well and the bulbs still were lose, especially on the passenger side. These were the OEM bulbs, not aftermarket ones. What I did was apply a bead of silicone around the base of the bulb and then let it dry and install it again. So for those of you that have sealed the crap out of your lenses, check the bulb bases as I didn't notice this until I took the headlights off the car again to reseal them which sucks.

A lot of people noticed more fog on their passenger side, and I think that may be attributed to the fact that their is no obstruction between the engine compartment to the back of the headlight and bulbs unlike the driver side where there is an intake pipe in the way which in itself sucks the moisture out of the area when you step on the gas. When the hot air from the engine mixes with the cool humid air from the outside, you're going to get moisture. I live in Seattle and theres been a lot of rain and I wake up every morning with dew all over the inside of the car. So far, no moisture yet after beading the bulb base with silicone. Good Luck!
Old 11-12-2007, 10:34 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
wow. i have blacked out over 5 3G TL's, and NEVER EVER had a leak or fog or moisture.... i guess its all about doing the process 120% and leaving no room for error...
Old 12-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Racer

i'm still getting this fog and i still can't find the problem. I resealed around the whole headlight with soooo much silicone it cannot be that. I changed the fog light bulbs also and it seems to be a tight seal. What else could it be? There's a water tight seal because water doesn't go in. Could it be from the bottom where the ballast is? All i know is, it occurs at night and it forms a fog in the inner corners where the fogs are.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Racer

stick a silicone packet to absorb moisture where the 9006 bulb is. That's what I used to do with my old car that I cleared.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Racer

Someone said the fog may be due to the 9006 bulb not having a tight seal. So i took the 9006 bulb out of one of the headlights and drove around. The one which i took out the bulb had no fog, however, the one where the 9006 bulb remained in did have the fog. What does this mean?
Old 12-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by draztic1011
Someone said the fog may be due to the 9006 bulb not having a tight seal. So i took the 9006 bulb out of one of the headlights and drove around. The one which i took out the bulb had no fog, however, the one where the 9006 bulb remained in did have the fog. What does this mean?
The opening let the water evaporate.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Racer

there was no fog at the time prior to taking out the bulb. So does this mean to fix this fog problem i must drill a small hole into the headlights?
Old 12-09-2007, 09:20 PM
SICK SSM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my driver side headlight had relli bad condesation in it wen i first got the car.. your best bet is do what i did bring it to acura its under warntee... they replaced it 2 times for me no charge
Old 12-09-2007, 09:34 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
I had condensation in one of my bumper lights and what I did was removed the light, took paper towels to clean it out and then sealed it really good. Now there is no more condensation in it at all. It never hurts to try it and it will say you a bunch of time.

Quick Reply: Moisture in Headlight after BLACK OUT