Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modify seat bolsters?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 06:31 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modify seat bolsters?

I am really enjoying my newly acquired TL, but I find the seat shape uncomfortablee. I'm a tall guy. The contour of the seat pushes my shoulder blades forward to the point where it is uncomfortable. I would love to modify the upper part of the bosters to flatten that part of the seat out. Has anyone modified the shape of the stock seat? Any DIY tips? (Tried searching on the forum as well as Google.)
Old 05-16-2010, 03:51 PM
2012 TL Tech

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This sounds like its going to be a TAYLORED mod lol. I have installed upholstry on hundreds of cars and I can tell you, its not THAT hard to do what you are wanting to do. I'm sure there are a few opinions out there that may be a little more barbearic like taking a mallot hammer and just beat the seat into position. I will suggest this. Its long and teadeous but its what I would do.

First take the seat out and remove the entire upper seat back-rest. Carefully remove the leather (like taking off a tee shirt) by pulling it up over the seat top. Each section is held in by little sharp hoks that are bent into place to hold the leather in place. These hooks are called hog rings. Use a pair of Kleins and needle nose pliars and remove the old rings. Once you have the seat exposed the foam portion is easilly removed in sections with a couble of screws holding the foam frames in place.

Once you have done this you will have the seat down to it's skeleton. You will be able to screw into the seat back a small metal plate or whatever you need to make it more comfortable. Once those steps are completed, put the foam frames back in place and put the leather back on.

You will need a hog ring crimper tool and about 20-30 hog rings to fasten the rods through the seat backs to the leather. You will understand what I mean when you initially start to remove the leather.

Put it all back together and you got yourself a taylored front driver seat.

I suspect it would take a novice about 2 hours to do this. If you have anyexpierence with any of this type of work you could do it in half the time or less..

Hope this helps, its what I would do but I have an engineering background so I like to do things that require thought and challenge. I'm sure someone out there has an idea that will present an easier fix.

Good luck..
Old 05-16-2010, 08:05 PM
Intermediate

I've got the same problem except my shoulders are very wide (athletic) and its getting to the point where I'm going to sell the car. If you do find a solution to this please post it up.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Intermediate

Thanks 07 ... I admit that I'm intimidated by what you just described, even with an Engineering background. But I appreciate the info. I'll try to muster up the nerve to try it. Sounds like a good challenge. Again, thanks!

Last edited by blueridger; 05-17-2010 at 06:42 PM.