Which Model Year 3G TL Do YOU Think is the Best/Most Refined?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007 | 01:20 PM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

Originally Posted by bradj11
I never knew that the 07 TL-S did not come with 6spd Manual. I have the TL-S automatic (see link above).
hey buddy...FYI
the BASE 07 does NOT come in 6sp, ONLY Automatic.
the 07 TYPE S - comes BOTH in manual 6sp & 5at
so if you want an 07 and MANUAL Tranny, you NEED to get a TYPE S.

but the manual mode using the paddle shifters or stick has a delay when upshifting... so I don't want to redline each gear as it overrevs for a second or so... Is that a common problem with TL-S 5sp automatics???
Kindly advise!
Sorry I can't answer your question...yoo hoo SOUTHERNBOY you there? and or any other AT owners can better answer this...
Old 08-29-2007 | 01:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by I hate cars
04-05s make exactly the same power as the 06-07s. I raced the girlfriend's 05 with my brand new 8 mile 06 and barely beat her. Both are autos.

Well that's exactly why. I'm assuming the gf's TL had about 5-10k miles? and yours had 8 miles when you raced it. Cars actually perform at their peak after their break-in period, normally about 3-5 thousand miles in. race her then a i guarantee you'll smoke her.
Old 08-29-2007 | 01:31 PM
Burning Brakes

It CAN'T over rev, the rev limiter won't let you!
Old 08-29-2007 | 01:31 PM
TL Driver and Loving It!

Originally Posted by ChicoOG
I haven't seen an '08 so I can't comment. I own a '05, but really like the '07...qaud tail pipes, blinkers on side mirrors, two tone interior, Type S option, etc...not a big fan of the fog lights, but that wouldn't deter me. I won't be ready for a new car until 2012...wonder what kind of features it will have then?
I own an '07 TL White Pearl with taupe interior. I had to use a loaner and it just happened to be the same exact care, only '08. I say absolutely no difference in them.

So, the best TL is obviously, the one that isin't build yet, the '09!!!
Old 08-29-2007 | 01:34 PM
TL Driver and Loving It!

Originally Posted by cbptls
It's real easy to get an updated NAV disc. Does this really make the '08 model more refined than the other years?
The Nav disk is probably not that up to date. My neighborhood is still not on it and it is over 3 1/2 years old.
Old 08-29-2007 | 01:35 PM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

Originally Posted by swilliams53
I own an '07 TL White Pearl with taupe interior. I had to use a loaner and it just happened to be the same exact care, only '08. I say absolutely no difference in them.

So, the best TL is obviously, the one that isin't build yet, the '09!!!
09 wasn't an option

I had asked which of the FIVE production years 04-08 was the best in your opinion lolll
Old 08-29-2007 | 02:04 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by gauravp123
hey buddy...FYI

Sorry I can't answer your question...yoo hoo SOUTHERNBOY you there? and or any other AT owners can better answer this...
alright pal.... two clarifications

I have a 5at TL-S
and what I was saying is that when you shift near the readline, it takes a while after you hit the paddle or stick before the next gear engages.... i know it has a limiter so what it does is hits the limiter for a sec or so before it changes.... capish?
Old 08-29-2007 | 02:49 PM
Senior Moderator

I think he was responding to this comment

[QUOTE=bradj11]I never knew that the 07 TL-S did not come with 6spd Manual.
Old 08-29-2007 | 03:14 PM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

[QUOTE=ggesq]I think he was responding to this comment

Originally Posted by bradj11
I never knew that the 07 TL-S did not come with 6spd Manual.
yes thank you
Old 08-29-2007 | 06:32 PM
Pro

How come no one mentioned the backup camera that is standard on the 07 but not the 06?
Old 08-29-2007 | 07:29 PM
LiQuiDFleX81

Exclamation

Originally Posted by kenny5
How come no one mentioned the backup camera that is standard on the 07 but not the 06?
because the backup camera is a stupid option

1) the car is not an suv.......

2) if you can't parallel park or are just too lazy to turn your head to the right, then you shouldn't be driving.

waste of an option, the money they used to produce that system could have been used on something better like a short shifter for the type s guys or better tailights for base TL owners of that year...

by the way 04 is the best year because i have one! 6M all the way!
Old 08-30-2007 | 12:35 AM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

Originally Posted by Liquidflex81

2) if you can't parallel park or are just too lazy to turn your head to the right, then you shouldn't be driving.

waste of an option, the money they used to produce that system could have been used on something better like a short shifter for the type s guys or better tailights for base TL owners of that year...

lollllllllllll
Old 08-30-2007 | 07:40 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by gauravp123
hey buddy...FYI

Seems like we need to play a little game of he said she said to that you can see that your comment responses were erroneous...

I first indicated that " I never knew that the 07 TL-S did not come with 6spd Manual"
you responded "the BASE 07 does NOT come in 6sp, ONLY Automatic" Who asked about the base TL?
Then you provided a little fact..."the 07 TYPE S - comes BOTH in manual 6sp & 5at"
which I already know...
Then you went on to say "so if you want an 07 and MANUAL Tranny, you NEED to get a TYPE S."
Do you realize that the TL-S 5at has a manual mode when you slip the stick over into tiptronic? that is what I was refering to... who was asking about purchasing a manual transmission...
Comprehension is a hell of a thing.... it is helpful if used correctly.
Old 08-30-2007 | 08:19 AM
Racer

You would think that the '08 would be the best and most refined, because it has everything that all the other years have and SHOULD have addressed any kinks from previous years. I have an '05 and I was pissed when the tire pressure monitor came out for '06 (2 months after I bought my '05 mind you), and was even more pissed when the '07 came out with new taillights, fog lights, MP3 player port, backup camera, keyfob, side mirrors, new steering wheel and interior, footwell lights, better Nav and MP3 playback. '08 might be the most refined, but I think without question '07 had the most impact.
Old 08-30-2007 | 10:20 AM
Banned

I think it's a smart option. the TL has a rather high trunk, which would make it hard for those of us who bback our car up into a rather small garage, or if we live in condos or apartments, where it comes in really handy.
Old 08-30-2007 | 10:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Last model year you could get a manual tranny without springing for a type-s
Old 08-30-2007 | 11:11 AM
3rd Gear

I Own The 04 Tl 6mt,
I Just Had My Windows Re Tinted And They Gave Me A 07 To Drive.
The Seats Were Less Comfortable And I Did'nt Like The Thiner Steering Wheel.
Also Did Not Like The Look Of The Dash Center Display. The Outer Edge Of The Xm/nav Screen Is Out With A Ridge. The 04 Is Not
Old 08-30-2007 | 02:41 PM
Advanced

Talking wassup

since you guys are being so controversial about the horse power difference between the 2004-2005 TL based on the sae ratings that they dropped the horse power from 270 to 258 because the New Type S came out with the horse power of 286 it wouldn't look good if they were to sell the base TL with 270 horse power along
with the Type S it would be a difference of 16 horse power between the two, and
that is in close range of each other. So they had to lower the horse power on the base TL so that the Type S would stand up to its name. Since I owe an 04TL the O.G of the pack I would think that it is the best in my opinion due to the impressive 270 horsepower. But for all of us who own a 3G TL Should be honored to drive it because it is one of the most beautiful cars Acura designed!!!
Old 08-30-2007 | 07:18 PM
Racer

my 04 = OG.
Old 08-31-2007 | 07:40 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Acuraboi04
since you guys are being so controversial about the horse power difference between the 2004-2005 TL based on the sae ratings that they dropped the horse power from 270 to 258 because the New Type S came out with the horse power of 286 it wouldn't look good if they were to sell the base TL with 270 horse power along
with the Type S it would be a difference of 16 horse power between the two, and
that is in close range of each other. So they had to lower the horse power on the base TL so that the Type S would stand up to its name. Since I owe an 04TL the O.G of the pack I would think that it is the best in my opinion due to the impressive 270 horsepower. But for all of us who own a 3G TL Should be honored to drive it because it is one of the most beautiful cars Acura designed!!!
Sorry, incorrect info regarding the horsepower rating.

Engine output was revised to 258 hp for 2006, as part of the new SAE rating system.

If you were to use the old SAE system on the TL Type-S, I'm sure the rating would be close to 300 hp.
Old 08-31-2007 | 09:58 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cbptls
Sorry, incorrect info regarding the horsepower rating.

Engine output was revised to 258 hp for 2006, as part of the new SAE rating system.

If you were to use the old SAE system on the TL Type-S, I'm sure the rating would be close to 300 hp.
Exactly. Hp is the same from 04-07. Just the numbers changed. Before the new SAE standard, manufacturers could dyno engines with whatever exhaust and intake they wanted. Now they have to use the same intake tract and exhaust that's going to be on the motor in the car it's going in. I do find it funny how most foreign cars lost power and most domestics stayed the same with the new rating.
Old 08-31-2007 | 01:13 PM
9th Gear

I would say the 07
Old 09-01-2007 | 11:11 AM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

Originally Posted by TL JOE
I would say the 07
I agree - what's your reasoning though? just interested to know!
Old 09-19-2007 | 02:00 PM
6th Gear

I have an 06 AT w/Nav that's at the dealer for a few days, I'm currently driving a base 08 AT loaner car.

External differences have been discussed to death, so I'm going to write more on the "drive and feel" of the 04-06 vs 07-08. My impressions on the differences so far:

Suspension: [Winner = 04-06]
08 model feels like it has a slightly softer suspension. It's still not what I consider a "luxury" ride; if Acura made any tweaks to the suspension there's really no point because you can still feel the bumps and cornering is slightly compromised. It might be due to the EL42 tires, who knows.

Engine: [Winner = 07-08]
Hard to make a comparison, since the 08 engine wasn't broken in yet. Is it true the engineers program in a WOT limiter for the first 500 miles to prevent engine damage? Still the 08 engine ran about 100 RPM less than mine at the same speeds. At 70 MPH, rpm was only 2000. The MID showed better mpg along the same route to/from work, although there's probably calibration error in there when considering these differences. My subjective feel is this 08 engine seemed to be more efficient, maybe within manufacturing margins.

Steering: [Winner = 04-06]
08 model is stiffer and requires more effort to turn the wheel at rest and low speeds. At highway speeds it's about the same or looser than 04-06. I don't like the feel, and don't like the new three spoke steering wheel or the button placements (the HFS and MID buttons are HUGE and less elegant)

Seating: [Winner = 07-08]
The 08 seats have a bit more padding, and felt a bit more comfortable.

Rattles: [No winner here, folks!!]
The new 08 TL made me feel at home by providing the comforting little rattles we've come to love (not) from our 3G. There was a little metallic ticking on the driver side door, and an obnoxious squeaking in both flip-up compartments above the shift knob. Geez, you'd think after like 5 years and almost a hundred thousand cars assembled they'd get it right. GET WITH THE PROGRAM ACURA!!! At least there was no sub deck rattle I guess..

Radio: [n/a]
My 06 has the Nav so comparison with the base 08 audio is useless. I hate the look of the 08 standard audio, with its ugly plastic screen cover which does nothing but dim the audio info. There is an electronic compass which is a neat feature, but the HVAC icons and fonts are so large and ugly and don't mesh well at all with the MID display.

MID: [Winner = 07-08]
The MID controls are now relocated to the steering wheel, and the MID display uses smaller but sharper fonts. I'd have to say it's an improvement, although I'm used to the old button placement and the larger fonts.

Brake and Gas pedal: [Winner = 04-06]
Brake pedal was mushy, as were brakes. I know the pads were still in break-in period, but the excessive brake pedal travel and feel is no excuse. The gas pedal felt alright, nothing to write home about.

Gradelogic: [Winner = 07-08]
Coming down the freeway offramp where Gradelogic in my 06 always kicks in with a firm reminder, the 08 handled much smoother and almost unnoticed. I want this new profile programmed into my ECU!!

Even though the math doesn't add up, I'd go for the 04-06 because it's more "refined" in terms of driving, which is why we all love our TLs.

I'll post any new findings later...and please bear in mind this is just my subjective review of only having driven these 2 TL's.
Old 09-19-2007 | 03:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Liquidflex81

LOL mad he doenst have one!!
Old 09-19-2007 | 06:28 PM
TL-S izdashiznittt in

well the 07 and 08 are exactly the same to a point and they offer the most out of the 3Genz. So i would have to say 07 or 08.

BOTH YEARS ARE THE SAME PEOPLE..............NOTHING HAS CHANGED.

well maybe the price went down cause the 08z were coming out but other than dat...nada
Old 09-19-2007 | 06:34 PM
Acuras Only in

Originally Posted by n-t-l
I have an 06 AT w/Nav that's at the dealer for a few days, I'm currently driving a base 08 AT loaner car.

External differences have been discussed to death, so I'm going to write more on the "drive and feel" of the 04-06 vs 07-08. My impressions on the differences so far:

Suspension: [Winner = 04-06]
08 model feels like it has a slightly softer suspension. It's still not what I consider a "luxury" ride; if Acura made any tweaks to the suspension there's really no point because you can still feel the bumps and cornering is slightly compromised. It might be due to the EL42 tires, who knows.

Engine: [Winner = 07-08]
Hard to make a comparison, since the 08 engine wasn't broken in yet. Is it true the engineers program in a WOT limiter for the first 500 miles to prevent engine damage? Still the 08 engine ran about 100 RPM less than mine at the same speeds. At 70 MPH, rpm was only 2000. The MID showed better mpg along the same route to/from work, although there's probably calibration error in there when considering these differences. My subjective feel is this 08 engine seemed to be more efficient, maybe within manufacturing margins.

Steering: [Winner = 04-06]
08 model is stiffer and requires more effort to turn the wheel at rest and low speeds. At highway speeds it's about the same or looser than 04-06. I don't like the feel, and don't like the new three spoke steering wheel or the button placements (the HFS and MID buttons are HUGE and less elegant)

Seating: [Winner = 07-08]
The 08 seats have a bit more padding, and felt a bit more comfortable.

Rattles: [No winner here, folks!!]
The new 08 TL made me feel at home by providing the comforting little rattles we've come to love (not) from our 3G. There was a little metallic ticking on the driver side door, and an obnoxious squeaking in both flip-up compartments above the shift knob. Geez, you'd think after like 5 years and almost a hundred thousand cars assembled they'd get it right. GET WITH THE PROGRAM ACURA!!! At least there was no sub deck rattle I guess..

Radio: [n/a]
My 06 has the Nav so comparison with the base 08 audio is useless. I hate the look of the 08 standard audio, with its ugly plastic screen cover which does nothing but dim the audio info. There is an electronic compass which is a neat feature, but the HVAC icons and fonts are so large and ugly and don't mesh well at all with the MID display.

MID: [Winner = 07-08]
The MID controls are now relocated to the steering wheel, and the MID display uses smaller but sharper fonts. I'd have to say it's an improvement, although I'm used to the old button placement and the larger fonts.

Brake and Gas pedal: [Winner = 04-06]
Brake pedal was mushy, as were brakes. I know the pads were still in break-in period, but the excessive brake pedal travel and feel is no excuse. The gas pedal felt alright, nothing to write home about.

Gradelogic: [Winner = 07-08]
Coming down the freeway offramp where Gradelogic in my 06 always kicks in with a firm reminder, the 08 handled much smoother and almost unnoticed. I want this new profile programmed into my ECU!!

Even though the math doesn't add up, I'd go for the 04-06 because it's more "refined" in terms of driving, which is why we all love our TLs.

I'll post any new findings later...and please bear in mind this is just my subjective review of only having driven these 2 TL's.
Conventional wisdom would say the 08 models are the most refined, but NTL's findings beg to differ ...

I like my 07 so far, so we will see what the 08 can do when I get behind the wheel someday ...
Old 09-20-2007 | 01:06 AM
2007 Acura TL-S

i would say 07 type s, not only because i own one but because it has the most upgrades and toys in it. also i gotta love the look, all the changes from da base gives it a new look. i would pick the 06 TL for seconds, i hate how the 07 base looks, the rims and tail lights are yuck.

my 2 cents
Old 09-20-2007 | 02:13 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Integra
i would say 07 type s, not only because i own one but because it has the most upgrades and toys in it. also i gotta love the look, all the changes from da base gives it a new look. i would pick the 06 TL for seconds, i hate how the 07 base looks, the rims and tail lights are yuck.

my 2 cents
I think Acrua is going to mess up the next gen TL
Old 09-20-2007 | 03:47 AM
2007 Acura TL-S

Originally Posted by FriscoNick
I think Acrua is going to mess up the next gen TL
i dont know about that but im loving the type s right now, its pretty good as it is. maybe it can get better or worse. we wont know until a few years into the release of the new TL. first few years will always have the bugs and what nots.
Old 09-20-2007 | 09:35 AM
Safety Car

2008. The last year of ANY generation usually is the best. It takes years to get MOST or

ALL the bugs out. When the next gen comes out, it will be the WORST. Wait until Fall

of 2009 to buy the next gen TL. That way Acura has had a year to smooth out the 4th

gen a little. The HP on the 3.2 liter is the same from 04-08.
Old 09-20-2007 | 12:34 PM
Racer

Backup camera is great when it's pitch black and you have to reverse around a corner. The lense is fish eyed so you can see around the corner somewhat, which already has saved me from an accident and paid for itself.

With that said, I say 2007 mainly the Type S because it was Acura's attempt to transform the luxury sedan to a luxury sport sedan. It's rather a no brainer stock for stock for the reasons already stated. If you mod the 06, then that's a different story. If they fixed some rattling in 2008 then 2008tls wins.
Old 09-20-2007 | 12:45 PM
I'm gettin' 2

2008 are by far the best. I have 17 of them!
Old 09-20-2007 | 12:46 PM
Intermediate

I second that, 2008 is the best!
Old 09-20-2007 | 03:13 PM
Intermediate

I have a 04 AT TL and I drove a 2008 TL-S A/T Loaner from the dealership yesterday for the day,

I can tell you that the 08 TS-S is far superior in Handling, Power and overall build quality to the 04 which itself is quite good.

I know I can add the Type S suspension to mine for better handling but the steering improvements for torque steer probably can not be added.

That being said, I would not buy the 08 at this point in time with the 09's being so close.

My only dilema will be " First Model Year" issues :-(

So I may just have to add the Type S suspension for now.

bernie_d

2004 ABP AT (new in Aug 04)
Navigation
18" Panther Custom Wheels
235/40 ZR 18 Yokoham ES 100
Comptech RSB
Lip spoiler
08 TL-S Sidemarkers
All season mats (in the winter)
Old 09-20-2007 | 03:26 PM
7th Gear

Agree with all PPs that the '07 and '08s are exactly the same minus a few, teeny changes. That being said, I think the '07-'08 TL-S is the most refined and looks the sharpest. I even love the rims now, which I hated at first. I also agree that the backup camera is effing stupid, unless you have ridiculous family members who enjoy placing random objects behind your car just to mess with you and make sure you're using the feature. Thanks for the entertainment mi familia. Anyway, I personally don't like the way the Type S 6MT feels. . .something's whackadoodle with the gear ratio IMHO. All of my previous Acura MTs were somehow smoother between gears and more fun to row through. . .hmmmmmm. Maybe I'm just trying to justify my own TL-S AT. It's still fun though dammit!
Old 09-20-2007 | 03:30 PM
7th Gear

Oh, I forgot to add that I think it's weird for people to call out '08 buyers as being stupid since the next gens are coming out. Everyone knows that the first model of a new generation can have kinks, and the car may end up looking all twacked and having a host of other issues. To me, it makes much more sense to get the final model year of a proven generation. The '08s aren't perfect, but they're damn near close.
Old 09-20-2007 | 08:27 PM
Safety Car

2008 PERIOD. Can you read ???
Old 09-20-2007 | 10:56 PM
6th Gear

I have an '05 and my wife just bought an '08. Having driven both of them the '08 is a much better vehicle. The NAVI is far improved over my '05, the MID more helpful, especially the tire monitors, and the ride while a little softer is still sporty for everyday driving. Now I want to borrow my wife's car!
-Acuravet
Old 09-20-2007 | 11:08 PM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

08 & 07 are the ssame huh??

interesting

Quick Reply: Which Model Year 3G TL Do YOU Think is the Best/Most Refined?