Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mind Reading the Mid

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 08:30 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mind Reading the Mid

I made an appointment with my dealer on monday to have service done on friday since my oil life said <20% and Friday was my only free day. It still hasn't given me a code and still says <20% because I haven't driven the car enough. Is there anyway I can figure out what it wants so I can tell the dealer? My car is an 04 auto with 43,774 miles. I think the last service I performed was a B12, but I'm not positive.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:27 PM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
after b12 i think i got a1 but that dosent mean youll get that. but since you are taking it to the dealer maybe they can hook it up to a diagnostic or something and get the next due service
Old 06-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
When they do the oil and filter change, they should then reset the MID. If there are any other service items to be done, the message will appear at that time. If you have already done the B12, you probably don't need anything else done.

If you want to, you can reset the MID yourself before you go and see what pops up, so they don't try and sell you something you don't need. Here's some info on that. This may be more than you wanted to know, but better more than less in this case.

Here’s the full procedure to reset the MID display, and also info at the bottom about other service reminders when you manually reset the MID yourself.

(The procedure on page 196 (of the 2004 owner's manual, and probably for later models also but if anyone has a later model with the correct procedure please let me know) of the manual is incorrect. In paragraph 3a of the manual, the requirement to hold the button for 10 seconds the second time it is pressed is omitted. If this is not done, the display will not reset.)

1. Turn the ignition switch to ON

2. Select Trip A or Trip B (You can use either one, so if you are using one to record data for something, use the other one to reset the Oil Life Indicator).

3. Press the < or > button repeatedly until the oil life is displayed.

4. Press and hold the Select/Reset button for 10 seconds. The Multi-Information Display will ask for a confirmation.

This will explain what happens to the other services items when you reset the MID before the service due message appears.

From the service manual, page 3-6: (NOTE: This information is not in the owners manual.

NOTE: If you are resetting the display when the oil life is more than 15%, the maintenance message "Service Due Soon" will be displayed. Make sure the maintenance items requiring service have been performed before resetting the display.
      So this means if you change your oil before the 15% Service Due Soon is displayed, and you go to reset the display, if there are other items to be serviced, they will show up on the display, and if you clear the display the MID will take this to mean that you performed the required service.

To clear the display:
      After you get that service screen hold the reset/select for another 10 seconds.
      It will then ask you if you want to reset.
      Press the reset/select or the YES button (I forget which), and the MID will be reset

The statement from the service manual is a little vague, and I think they meant to say that if other items require service, the message "Service Due Soon" will be displayed, since if there is nothing else requiring service there would be no need for the message.

There is an explanation of how the MID works in the Acura Service News for September 2005 http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B050900.PDF
      Old 06-01-2006, 04:47 PM
      Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
      thanks guys, just tried to reset the mid and it told me what I needed then I cancelled. RJANACONDA, you guessed right