i want to get:

-Anthracite
-Ebony interior
-Automatic trans
-Navigation
-Front/middle/rear kits
-Trunk lip "spoiler"
-Side mouldings

i'm a young guy (22) who just got a cool job. i've never bought my own new car and am wondering how old most of you are and (if you buy your TLs new) how much you make (if you arent shy about that kind of thing).

i'm trying to talk myself down into a cheaper TSX, but i really feel the need to splurge when i compared them side-to-side. i also liked the look of the TL interior/exterior a bit better.

how much have you guys paid for a 2004 TL similarly equipped?

i tried an Audi A4 (my ex-favorite car), then i tried the TL. the A4 was just more expensive with all i wanted. i also liked the interior layout of the TL better, eventhough the interior parts of the A4 felt a bit more solid.

i was planning to check out other cars similarly priced (G35, IS300, 9-5, S40), but they were all either expensive with similar options as the TL, or flat-out didnt have some of the options. i hear the IS300 is only rear wheel drive, i want front wheel. and the IS300 and 9-5 i couldnt seem to find any information on their websites that showed whether or not you can get them with a nav system (which i also want).

so, any 2004 TL praise/rants? what should i watch out for at the dealer?

help would be appreciated. thanks.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am kind of in the same boat as you. i am 24 and this is my first new car. every other car i owned before was used. I was contemplating between teh TSX and TL when at the dealership because they were so similar but opted for the larger faster car. I was very close to getting a loaded A4 but the price with all the options was not worth it. i looked at the G35 coupe and really wanted that car as well but living in the northeast i cannot rely on the rwd. the is300 and 9-5 are too small. the new s40 2004.5 is really nice but i am not a big volvo fan. the TL is the perfect car for me right now. i love everything about it, very sporty feel and lots of space. have you test drove one yet? try the 6MT after driving that it convinced me.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:06 PM
Team Anthracite

ive never driven a manual in my life... lol.

but yeah, so the G35 is RWD huh? that really crosses that one off my list for sure. friend of mine has a RWD Audi (dont know why he didnt get the quattro), when it snows or is icy, he cant get anywhere. i dont want the same to happen to me when it snows.

i wanted to check out the volvo, but after looking at the TL, i like the look of it so much more i dont want to even bother checking out the volvo, infiniti, lexus or saab anymore.

the A4 and TL were my two potential favorites anyways.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:17 PM
Cruisin'

You can get the G35 in AWD but the price goes way up.

The A4 in nice but consumer reports doesn't recommend it due to poor projected reliability.

Go for the TL !!!
Old 03-30-2004, 10:22 PM
Safety Car

the g35 4 door comes in awd but the base model is rwd. i was looking at the coupe(2 door) and that was strictly rwd with no option for awd. i don't really like the look of the g35 4 door, but the coupe looks really nice to me. its alot smaller car and not as practical for me as the TL which is another reason i didn't end up getting that car. Your friend's audi is rwd? that's strange i thought all audi's were either fwd or awd. but if you are concerned with the snow i drove it in about 6 inches of snow and it handled fine.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:28 PM
Team Anthracite

oh wait... i meant he had performance/summer tires and front wheel drive. he is in hell when it snows.

i had a dodge neon rental and could drive just fine. heh.

i like the look of the 4-door infiniti, but of course the AWD is more expensive and probably more problematic than front wheel drive.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:09 AM
Instructor

There are threads on how much folks make/occupation and average age; use the search on those.

As for the TSX. It is clearly targeted at a slightly younger and slightly less affluent group of buyers (to wit: cheaper, sound sytems--dvd-a especially nice for classical music; TSX has option for MP3/WAV playing CD-Player (yes these are stereotypes but its what marketing folks do)).

As for what you will pay. The key to the negotiation is setting your own target price, which you can figure out from researching past threads on this board. If your local dealer does not match it, then walk (and shop using the internet) Also, let the dealer know that you are well informed. Be subtle: I learned from the internet that their were build problems with earlier models--problems with tires, memory seats, and some various rattle issues. How has Acura dealt with these? From this, they know two things: you are doing serious research and will not be a patsy. You get the idea here... Be genial but ask tough questions. When they tell you that Navigation systems are really in high demand and are rare, respond with: the guys thta I am corresponding with on the internet tell me its not a problem if I shop several dealers using the phone, fax, and web. Again, you get the idea.

Anyway, as for what you should pay. Who knows, but my guess is that 2-3% above invoice would not be a stretch....
good luck
Old 03-31-2004, 05:27 PM
Team Anthracite

yeah. i plan to tell them that i know about the seat/tire/headliner problems, etc. i also plan to check out more than one dealer and go back and forth in regards to price with them. "so and so will give me this deal, can you beat their price?"

will do a search for prices people have paid...

thanks.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by -=¤willhaven¤=-

but yeah, so the G35 is RWD huh? that really crosses that one off my list for sure. friend of mine has a RWD Audi (dont know why he didnt get the quattro), when it snows or is icy, he cant get anywhere. i dont want the same to happen to me when it snows.

i wanted to check out the volvo, but after looking at the TL, i like the look of it so much more i dont want to even bother checking out the volvo, infiniti, lexus or saab anymore.

the A4 and TL were my two potential favorites anyways.
You may want to do some more research. If you're talking about an Audi A4 or an A6, non-Quattro versions of those cars are FWD vehicles.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:30 PM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
What's Snow?

What do you guy's do that you can afford this car at age 22?
I drove old used cars at your age...lol...and I'm jealous (and 48).
Then again what are you going to look forward to in the future if you buy such a fine car now...?
Kids today...I'll tell you.
I'd get the TL. I did and it doesn't even snow here!
Learn to drive the 6MT...It is a dying art and a hell of a lot more fun, not to mention the control it gives you.
Good luck what ever you decide to buy!
Old 03-31-2004, 06:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SBTL
I drove old used cars at your age...lol...and I'm jealous (and 48).
Then again what are you going to look forward to in the future if you buy such a fine car now...?
Kids today...I'll tell you.
I'd get the TL. I did and it doesn't even snow here!
Learn to drive the 6MT...It is a dying art and a hell of a lot more fun, not to mention the control it gives you.
Good luck what ever you decide to buy!
My cousin is also 22 and drives a new Porsche 911. He's vice-pres. of a software engineering firm. (Isn't it great to be young and loaded )
Old 03-31-2004, 07:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb

i want to get:

-Anthracite
-Ebony interior
-Automatic trans
-Navigation
-Front/middle/rear kits
-Trunk lip "spoiler"
-Side mouldings

This is almost the hottest combo of 04TL. :bowdown:

Good luck to have an order, and be patience.

Otherwise, when Search Feature is fixed, simply searching "occupation" or "age" should guide you to the threads of "how old are you" or "how much you earn"... Perhaps, you could add your info in and share with us.

:smokin:
Old 04-01-2004, 08:34 PM
Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by UminChu
You may want to do some more research. If you're talking about an Audi A4 or an A6, non-Quattro versions of those cars are FWD vehicles.
yeah... i was mistaken

Originally Posted by SBTL
i work on video games.

its a damn expensive car, but i might as well enjoy it while i've got the ability to eh?

Originally Posted by PetesTL
My cousin is also 22 and drives a new Porsche 911. He's vice-pres. of a software engineering firm. (Isn't it great to be young and loaded )
i'm far from "loaded." i just buy relatively few items a year. so whenever i buy anything i usually get my dream item eventhough its expensive.

i'm stubborn. i really like the car... i know i can make myself think i can afford it, so i'm probably going to get it.

Originally Posted by rets
Good luck to have an order, and be patience.
why? would i probably have to wait a long time to get the above car? are they difficult to come by with NAV and all the body kit stuff installed?

Originally Posted by rets
Otherwise, when Search Feature is fixed, simply searching "occupation" or "age" should guide you to the threads of "how old are you" or "how much you earn"... Perhaps, you could add your info in and share with us.

:smokin:
income: i cant say.

thanks for the help so far though...
Old 04-01-2004, 08:41 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
hey dude your in fresno right?
well If you are going to buy TL, deal with SCOTT @ university acura... nice salesman... I bought mine from him... try getting protection package for free...

this is the deal i got back on 12/8: $34,200 with protection package... my car came from Elk Groove Acura.. it was dealer trade, had to wait 2 weeks. When I got home and opened glove box, it found the big sticker that they stick on windows with msrp listed as: $35,190 or something...

good luck.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:41 PM
Safety Car

Navis are hard to come by, there hasn't been a complaint about getting one recently but alot of people were waiting anywhere from 1-2 months for the car. after i ordered my car i waited about a month. wasn't that bad because i was in no rush. but i don't know what time frame you are expecting. you might get lucky and they have the car you want on the lot.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:48 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Last time i checked with "university acura" was about week and half ago, and they had no 04TLs on lot
Old 04-01-2004, 08:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Expect to pay a lot for a NAVI. When you factor in that NAVI's are going for Msrp and you can get Non-Navi's for $350 above invoice, you are looking at a $5,000 option. Navi is nice but definately not worth $5k, imho

It must cool getting a TL at the age of 22. But not nearly as cool as my first car, way back in 1970 a Judge GTO.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:04 PM
Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by AcuraTLjaTT559
hey dude your in fresno right?
well If you are going to buy TL, deal with SCOTT @ university acura... nice salesman... I bought mine from him... try getting protection package for free...

this is the deal i got back on 12/8: $34,200 with protection package... my car came from Elk Groove Acura.. it was dealer trade, had to wait 2 weeks. When I got home and opened glove box, it found the big sticker that they stick on windows with msrp listed as: $35,190 or something...

good luck.
so i take it this was a non-NAV model?
Old 04-01-2004, 10:29 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

no..... read my sig...... i got NAVI but w/out a-spec.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:30 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

opps no sig... my bad

i got navi , 5AT....
Old 04-01-2004, 11:11 PM
Team Anthracite

thanks
Old 04-01-2004, 11:53 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Don't wait at all. TL navi's are plentiful in New England. Have a week's vacation coming to you? Find the car in Maine, do the deal over the phone, get your paperwork in order, fly East, drive home, see the country, cut the xx week waiting list
Old 04-02-2004, 08:39 AM
Safety Car

the Nav is not a 5k option here in NE. most people that have posted recently have all gotten the Nav for a good price below msrp. to me the nav is worth it and makes the car that much more appealing. shop around and i'm sure you will find a place that will give you a good price for the car. if not take a trip out here to NE and you'll get one easy. I know a few dealerships that will give you the car for low 33K with Nav.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:50 AM
Team Anthracite

im actually on the east coast now... lol

back at work MUCH sooner than expected.

i was supposed to be home for months, i was going to buy the car in CA and then have it shipped back east. but now that im already here, its time to rely on the rental some more until i can get my car ordered.

i feel kinda bad bailing out on the showfloor guy in CA though. he seemed pretty sensible like i would get a decent deal from him.

oh well. hopefully i can post my own "OMG ORDERED CAR" thread in a couple of weeks.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:22 AM
Racer

im actually on the east coast now... lol

back at work MUCH sooner than expected.

i was supposed to be home for months, i was going to buy the car in CA and then have it shipped back east. but now that im already here, its time to rely on the rental some more until i can get my car ordered.

i feel kinda bad bailing out on the showfloor guy in CA though. he seemed pretty sensible like i would get a decent deal from him.

oh well. hopefully i can post my own "OMG ORDERED CAR" thread in a couple of weeks.
I don't know where on the east coast you are, but pricing in the northeast (NY, NJ, MA) seems to be the most competitive.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:23 AM
Team Anthracite

im not too far south of there really. and i am in a coastal state. hopefully the general price isnt too much different here.