3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid-life crisis or have I lost my mind ????

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 02:27 PM
TL SL ML :)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it were me, I'd keep the TL

...I have a TL-S and a convertible.... and I still find the TL-S more practical and better suitable for all season driving

[img]/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24428&d=1174657829[/img]
Old 03-26-2007, 02:33 PM
TL SL ML :)

^...so maybe I don't know how to post an image...haha
Old 03-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Having thoughts of trading in an Acura for a Ford of any model is a clear indication of mental instability. I would suggest visiting a mental institution until the symptoms subside.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:04 PM
Advanced

I love my Imports but I like domestics too. I would take a S2K over a Mustang any day, but I would take a Z06 over a S2k. There is nothing wrong with the new Mustangs (for the first 10K miles anyway J/K). TL is more practical for everyday use, and the Stang is nice but you better start shopping for a winter beater.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:46 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Adamo0926
Desert.....no offense intended but you just have not done your homework. Your bashing of all domestic automobiles sounds like a person that insists that French wine is better than domestic wine (As a matter of fact it's not....the best wines on the planet come from the California Napa and Sonoma valleys). The reviews of the Mustang by legitimate publications like Road and Track, Car and Driver, etc have all been very good.

I haven't owned a domestic car for a long time....but I owned several VWs and bought into that "German engineering" line I was fed. One of my VWs was exceptional, one was about average, and the other was a near disaster. I also put a LOT of miles on my VWs, I have put far less mileage on my TL. I believe if you take any car and drive it 25,000 miles/year like I did with my V-Dubs.....there are going to be problems that pop up. No car is perfect. You can get a lemon even if you buy a BMW, a Jaguar or a Rolls Royce.

What is your knock against Ford ? Can you cite some actual data that backs up your claim ? Or are you just generalizing ? Maybe a Ford ran over your foot when you were a child.....lol.
Sure. I'm just going to go to ONE web site to find all of my information: Consumer Reports. I'm sure other web sites will reflect the same thing consumer reports says. I would take tests from magazines like road & track with a grain of salt. Remember that those magazines cream their pants for cars that are new and exciting. However, they might only keep the car for a week or two to evaluate it and then it's on to the next thing. They had to live with the car for a few days, you'll have to live with it for years. Occasionally they will test a car for several years and write an article about it; only then to design flaws show up for them to rip into. Otherwise the only thing they can REALLY evaluate is initial quality. Consumer reports contains a huge variety of metrics from initial quality to overall reliability to cost of ownership to overall satisfaction, all reported by actual people driving the actual car for a long time.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...inclasshub.htm BEST IN CLASS CARS. Not a single american car in any of the 7 categories.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...e-new-cars.htm MOST AND LEAST RELIABLE NEW CARS. 3 American cars are listed as "most reliable" out of 43 cars, while 19 American cars are listed as "least reliable" out of 32 (INCLUDING THE FORD MUSTANG)

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...view/index.htm BEST AND WORST IN OWNER SATISFACTION Only 7 American cars made the cut as having high owner satisfaction, compared to 27 asian cars and 11 european cars.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...-406/index.htm THE BEST AND WORST USED CARS. Just look at the charts to see that imports dominate the "best" category while domestics dominate the "worst" category.

http://www.forbes.com/vehicles/2006/..._0424feat.html Here's a bonus article from forbes: "The Most Reliable Cars of 2006" Oops! No American cars made the top 10 list.

Anyway, this could go on forever and ever. So yes, I have done my homework...
And yes, I am generalizing domestic vs. import, not necessarily ford vs. acura. you'd need a subscription to consumer reports to get the full data
Old 03-26-2007, 03:51 PM
The Boss

Originally Posted by VelfarreClubber
Not true, my parents 06' CLK 500 cabriolet is very solid,
A mustang GT convertible is far from a CLK 500 Cabriolet my friend................
Old 03-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Intermediate

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a Sawzall and cut the roof off the TL....he he
Old 03-26-2007, 04:15 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
If you can afford a Porsche, get the Mustang and keep the TL. The increase in insurance would not be that much, and the increase in maintenance expense would be minimal as you'd be splitting your time between two cars (ie. less wear on each individually).

It's kind of ironic that you posted the thread, too. I spent half of my day looking at 94-98 Mustang convertibles. I liked the new body style when it came out, but I'm not so fond of it now...I like those round-ish ones for some reason, though. I wouldn't worry too much about any stigma, but then again, I live in the south...we already have a (often well-earned) stigma...a Mustang (or Camaro) would just be icing on the cake here.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:18 PM
Racer

I absolutely love Acuras, but I've gotta say I'm a huge sucker for other cars like the new GT, Shelbys, S2ks and G35s, so you're not totally crazy

If you have a family, go with what blazinginder said and stop talking crazy- keep the TL! Pump a couple thousand into it and it'll be a very safe and reliable sports car. Drive with all the windows down and the sunroof open if you want to fantasize a little and feel that wind. If you're not a family man and you're really itching for a true sports car, Mustang FTW... that car's hp starts higher than that of many heavily moded TL's and you can take it far beyond anything our cars can handle (how does being able to do a burnout while going 80mph sound to you ... My friend's mustang eats up Shelbys like a new Type-S beating on an old TL-P)... it's your decision to make
Old 03-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Racer

then again, I only considered performance, nothing else
Old 03-26-2007, 04:43 PM
Intermediate

jcondon.....for sure the Shelby Cobra would handles a lot better with the independent rear suspension. However the car lists at 41,000.00 or so and they have been selling at 15,000.00 to 20,000.00 over the sticker. As much as I am looking for the appeal of the looks of a muscle car, if I were going to lay out 60,000.00+ for a car I would start to look at a Porsche.
I just dropped my wife's explorer off for service last night and saw a shelby GT500 for $70,280.00. sticker was $45,280.00 and there was a $25k markup....crazy...it was a really nice car though but not worth $70k
Old 03-26-2007, 04:44 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

Keep your TL, and buy yourself a Decent used HONDA S2000 or BMW M3 Convertible!
Old 03-26-2007, 04:52 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by chill_dog
If you can afford a Porsche, get the Mustang and keep the TL. The increase in insurance would not be that much, and the increase in maintenance expense would be minimal as you'd be splitting your time between two cars (ie. less wear on each individually).

It's kind of ironic that you posted the thread, too. I spent half of my day looking at 94-98 Mustang convertibles. I liked the new body style when it came out, but I'm not so fond of it now...I like those round-ish ones for some reason, though. I wouldn't worry too much about any stigma, but then again, I live in the south...we already have a (often well-earned) stigma...a Mustang (or Camaro) would just be icing on the cake here.
Do you have a mullet? Just kidding!
Old 03-26-2007, 05:12 PM
Racer

Desert.....checking out the Forbes site for most reliable cars in 2006, I find nary an Acura on the list....oh golly gee. That didn't stop you or me from buying one though did it ? As for some of the other cars like the ugly Lexus sedan....it better be on the list for a base price of nearly 43,000.00. And talking about price.....where is the 50,000.00 Acura RL on that list ?

Nobody is going to argue that Japanese engineering isn't excellent, we all know that it is. However the article does also mention that domestic cars have improved by leaps and bounds.

I'm not entirely sold on the methods of Consumer Reports either. I used to consult them for high end audio equipment because I consider myself an audiophile in many respects. Needless to say they missed the mark on their reviews more often than not when it came to audio equipment. Their reviews are based almost exclusively on "value" for the dollar only. In other words if they reviewed sticks of gum and one stick tasted decent but lasted a LONG time, it would get their highest grade as opposed to the stick of gum that tasted much better but didn't last quite as long.

I am a believer that most cars will last you long enough if you don't beat on them and stick with the maintenance schedule. If I were worried about a car having problems I can always buy an extended warranty for piece of mind (which I have on my TL incidently).

No car is bulletproof, but domestics aren't the rust buckets that you are making them out to be. Many of them are God awful ugly designs, I will give you that....but I don't count the Mustang GT among them.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:17 PM
Advanced

Rather get an S2000 if your gonna get a convertible. Mustangs quality sucks.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by kennyc
when I was in the market - I looked at the following cars.

300c - little more than the A4.
mustang gt - half of the A4.
vette - twice the A4.
TL - little more than the A4.

it's great you have pretty reasonable insurance rate for the vette. But I believe for most people vette is expensive to insure.
Did you check multiple companies? After spending years on the vette forums you're the first person Ive ever heard complain about high insurance rates on the vette. I know for a fact that the mustang and camaro both were considerably higher than the vette. I dont even have a good record or anything.

Though were you looking at z06 models? Its possible the rates for those and the based models is considerably different.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:32 PM
Racer

Also to Desert.....using one of your own links you provided I noticed that one of the domestic cars that's high on the list of Best Owner Satisfaction is the Ford Mustang GT. Yes Johnnnnnnny that's right, only a few precentage points behind the legendary Chevy Corvette and AHEAD of Lexus. And once again.....where is Acura on that list ?

Now as for the reliablity ratings which I touched on before....I'd rather drive a car that looks great and is fun to drive rather than drive a car that has a great chance of lasting 10-12 years. I simply don't keep cars for that length of time. Usually I am in the 4-6 year range....and I would wager that the vast majority of cars will provide pretty much trouble free performance for that length of time unless you get stuck with a lemon.

That being said, you can get a lemon Honda, Toyota, Lexus, Ford, Chevy, etc.

I also saw once in Consumer Reports that Acura is much furthur down on the list than Honda regarding reliablity.....now does that make any sense ??? They are the same manufacturer. I would think that calls into question the testing procedures of Consumer Reports.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Racer

Kenny....the big problem with a Vette is that they cost a king's ransom to insure.
Adam,
I was going to recommend you take a look at the Vette as well. As far as insurance goes they are very cheap to insure on average. Their owners tend to take very good care of them and do not drive them in adverse conditions. My Z06 is cheaper to insure than my TL. Check it out before you stop considering them. Take one for a test drive. If there is any way you can swing it I would add to the fleet instead of replacing the TL. Used C5's can be had fairly cheap and in generally very good condition.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:39 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by geekybiker
Did you check multiple companies? After spending years on the vette forums you're the first person Ive ever heard complain about high insurance rates on the vette. I know for a fact that the mustang and camaro both were considerably higher than the vette. I dont even have a good record or anything.

Though were you looking at z06 models? Its possible the rates for those and the based models is considerably different.
that's interesting.... I did cross shop and found they are pretty much the same across the board.

Oh well... If I've known I would've been driving a C5 vert now...
Old 03-27-2007, 12:16 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Easy and practicle solution...when you get a wild hair, rent a Mustang for the weekend.
The affair will be more fun than a long term relationship.

I understand the middle age crazy sports car thing. I'm a few years older than you but climbing in and out of a low car gets old quick. Other people already mentioned the heat factor and it's real.

If the feelings can't be satisfied by a rental, pay off the TL and buy a used Mustang if you must. When and if you get over it the TL will be ready and waiting.

I keep my 1993 delSol around for when I get the urge. It's OK for a day or so and I love driving it. Leaving it sitting around with the top off is a major PITA. Also, I miss the toys and the nice smooth ride of the TL.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:44 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Domestic vs. import bashing/praising aside, it really seems to me like the OP wants a sporty, two-door, rear-wheel drive sports car, and doesn't (or can't) spend relatively too much money on it. Also part of the criteria is that it must be muscly and must have a convertible top. With all that in mind, there really aren't too many options other than a Mustang.

S2000s aren't really "muscly" (as has been stated), Vettes are too expensive (or too expensive to insure), and a CLK 500 is quite simply out of the question - it's also not very muscly if you ask me.

Even though none of these have come up yet, I suppose one could argue that at 350Z or possibly a G35 coupe could fall into his range of "acceptable" vehicles -- the G35 could be considered a little bit posh looking -- but it seems as though the mind is already set on the 'stang.

If that's what you want, go for it. You know that you're not going to get to many "yays" from TL drivers who subscribe to and frequent (and are addicted to) a forum called "Acurazine," so it's all about what you want to do.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:37 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by vinh077
I just dropped my wife's explorer off for service last night and saw a shelby GT500 for $70,280.00. sticker was $45,280.00 and there was a $25k markup....crazy...it was a really nice car though but not worth $70k
My point was about rear wheel solid axle cars not so much that he should buy a Shelby. I knew there was a mark up on the 'base' Shelby but, did not know it was SOO much on the higher end one. If I had the money I would spend that kind of coin on a Vette long before a Mustang. I assume 90% of the people buying Shelby's are Ford people over American Muscle.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:26 AM
User name now jdb8805

Originally Posted by kennyc
look for a used C5 vette - they are around high 20's and plenty of mods. They also out handle and out accelerate mustangs.
Was in the same boat -- not the mid-life crises one but the want a 6-speed sports car one.

I looked at a 2007 TL-S to replace my 2004 TL. Cost? $16000

I found a 1997 Vette for 15,200 in pretty good shape + 2000 in mods.. Now the TL has a garage mate. Insurance is not that bad since its a pleasure vehicle. Actually cheaper than the TL. <--- this is important when considering a second vehicle -- if you rate them both individually cost will be considerably higher.

1997-1999 coupe Vettes can be had for $15-20k. Verts can be had for a couple grand more. And the good news is that they will still be worth close to that in a year (or two or ten) when you go to get rid of it. A new mustang will not hold its value.

Look around at corvetteforum dot com if you are intersted.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Racer

Ok now I am toying with this idea to get over the whim....lol. I am thinking of adding the A-Spec body kit with a rear deck or wing spoiler, then taking my car to be fully detailed (he does the claying thing too).

I figure this will make my TL look more sporty and aggressive, plus it will look great after the complete detailing.

I'm figuring that will get me through the Summer and by Autumn the convertible urge will be gone until at least the following Summer...lol.

Really I should spend the money on new floors and a new club chair for my condo, but my cat would rip the chair to shreads in all liklihood....lol.

Anyway.....still in a daze over all this stuff....
Old 03-27-2007, 04:10 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Ok now I am toying with this idea to get over the whim....lol. I am thinking of adding the A-Spec body kit with a rear deck or wing spoiler, then taking my car to be fully detailed (he does the claying thing too).

I figure this will make my TL look more sporty and aggressive, plus it will look great after the complete detailing.

I'm figuring that will get me through the Summer and by Autumn the convertible urge will be gone until at least the following Summer

My wife knows that when my [next] midlife crisis comes, it will involve young [female] strippers and college students rather than cars...
Old 03-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Im gonna go with "you've lost your mind"
Old 03-27-2007, 05:03 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm figuring that will get me through the Summer and by Autumn the convertible urge will be gone until at least the following Summer...lol.

Really I should spend the money on new floors and a new club chair for my condo, but my cat would rip the chair to shreads in all liklihood....lol.

Anyway.....still in a daze over all this stuff....
I feel your pain there....dobies have ruined all my furniture on the bottom floor of my house that they have access to. Couch....club chair....chase lounge chair....carpet.....everything. $5000+ in damage. Note to self...DONT EVER BUY SOMETHING AS BIG AS A FRIGGIN FARM ANIMAL AND EVER EVER EVER THINK ITS A GOOD IDEA TO GET TWO BECAUSE ONE MIGHT GET LONELY. Your home then becomes a farm....and your car then seems more like what you want your home to be like. And outside....back yard.....errr....horse track.....lets just say back yard is now nonexistant too and looks just like a huge horse track all over....mud mud mud mud.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Racer

haha... good call on saving yourself from having to deal with ruined furniture and I second getting the A-Spec kit and maybe some other mods to speed up the car a little more
Old 03-27-2007, 11:08 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok....maybe because Summer is coming....but I have been tossing around the idea of trading in my 2005 TL for a 2007 Mustang GT convertible. Have I lost my mind ??? lol

I'd go for a Porsche but I am not laying out that kind of money for a whim...lol.

I really like the TL but have always wanted a convertible. I love driving this car but have never really owned a "sports car". In the 2½ years I have owned the TL the only bad thing I can say about it is that, like many have mentioned, it does have more buzzes and rattles than a car of it's pedigree should have. Plus I have a 6 year 100,000 mile extended warranty on the car...which will give me worry free driving for the next 3½ years or so.

I'm thinking this is only a whim and that I will come to my senses.....lol.
I have always loved open-air motoring and owned 2 Miatas and 1 S2000. It's hard to give up. Convertible cars are not for your daily drive. They are best for the weekend and on warm days which is about 364 days in CA. If I were you, spend about $5000 for a used Miata and you can't go wrong with it. Use it for a year or 2 and you will still get $4000 for it. It's a fun little convertible and eay to toss around.

A Mustang convertible on the other hand is more of a lady's car. Look at the drivers on the road, 90% are women. If you wanted a Mustang, get a GT.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:03 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by AlexH
I have always loved open-air motoring and owned 2 Miatas and 1 S2000. It's hard to give up. Convertible cars are not for your daily drive. They are best for the weekend and on warm days which is about 364 days in CA. If I were you, spend about $5000 for a used Miata and you can't go wrong with it. Use it for a year or 2 and you will still get $4000 for it. It's a fun little convertible and eay to toss around.

A Mustang convertible on the other hand is more of a lady's car. Look at the drivers on the road, 90% are women. If you wanted a Mustang, get a GT.
Alex....the Mustang I am considering is a GT convertible.....300hp V8.....hardly a ladies car.....lol.

Oh and as for a Miata....can't do it.....If I were 20 years younger I could probably try out for nose tackle on the defensive line for the New England Patriots....lol. And a Miata is a roller skate on tires. At least the Mustang GT has the same wheelbase and overall length of my TL, at least within an inch.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:09 AM
Instructor

imo mustangs are for girls, kids (16-23 year olds) and wanabie professionals that never made it big so they pimp there cheap sports cars/convertibles and wear cheap sunglasses, and out of style clothes.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:36 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by dennisil
imo mustangs are for girls, kids (16-23 year olds) and wanabie professionals that never made it big so they pimp there cheap sports cars/convertibles and wear cheap sunglasses, and out of style clothes.
denn.....whatever....that is the most clueless comment I have read on this thread. The wanna be professionals would lease an upper crust car with a low mileage lease that they can afford so that everyone would THINK they have made the big time.

I have driven both cars. I test drove 10 cars before deciding on the TL and the Mustang GT was my second choice. There are pros and cons to both cars. As there are with any car. To start bashing and insulting by posting a completely ignorant statement is juvenile at beast and insulting at worst.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:02 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Do you have a mullet? Just kidding!
Hey, what's wrong with business in the front, pleasure in the back????

Oh, and with two dobermans, that's not mud in your backyard...

EDIT: I saw a new Mustang convertible yesterday without the rear spoiler, and it looked pretty good. I don't know if it was the convertible aspect, the lack of the spoiler, or both, but it made me like the car again as I had when they first came out. Regardless, I still say go for it.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:58 AM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
still think you should look into getting a vette... at least go test drive one.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Intermediate

Another thought for you....

I have an '06 TL and I absolutely love it! My 50th b'day present was a '69 Camaro and not only is it a blast to drive on the weekends- it is only going up in value. I don't guess I'm up with the stigma on 'not being a virgin if you are driving a Camaro?????????' And yes, I'm a girl!
Old 03-28-2007, 09:46 AM
Instructor

denn.....whatever....that is the most clueless comment I have read on this thread. The wanna be professionals would lease an upper crust car with a low mileage lease that they can afford so that everyone would THINK they have made the big time.

I have driven both cars. I test drove 10 cars before deciding on the TL and the Mustang GT was my second choice. There are pros and cons to both cars. As there are with any car. To start bashing and insulting by posting a completely ignorant statement is juvenile at beast and insulting at worst.

I was not refering to leasing a pricy car, but your right thats also a wanan be style move, i like cobra's and shelby 500 but a v6 convertable? your going to defend that? good luck!
Old 03-28-2007, 10:06 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by chill_dog
...but then again, I live in the south...we already have a (often well-earned) stigma...a Mustang (or Camaro) would just be icing on the cake here.
According to your info man you're in Charlotte. No offense (don't really see how you could be offended though hehe), but having been there I wouldn't really consider that "the South." Now go to Alabama like I've been, THERE you WILL find a few well-earned stereotypes.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:21 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Originally Posted by goswald80
According to your info man you're in Charlotte. No offense (don't really see how you could be offended though hehe), but having been there I wouldn't really consider that "the South." Now go to Alabama like I've been, THERE you WILL find a few well-earned stereotypes.
You just have to drive 15-20 minutes outside of the city to see every stereotype imaginable...and the since they're so close, they manage to slip into the city every now and then. I have been to Alabama...Georgia, South Carolina, and Viriginia, too...and I hear the rest of the southern states are just as good. The cities in any of these states are ok as they are a mix of all kinds of people, but the rural areas are an eye-opening experience.

And I will give a nod to kennyc, too...a Vette would be something good to consider...really nice cars...a guy at my office got an '81 for his 45th or 50th birthday last year...I need a wife like that!
Old 03-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by dennisil
I was not refering to leasing a pricy car, but your right thats also a wanan be style move, i like cobra's and shelby 500 but a v6 convertable? your going to defend that? good luck!
denn apparently you don't bother to read any of the other posts in this thread. The Mustang convertible that I am considering is the GT version.

Which means it is 4.6L 300hp 320 lb ft of torque V8 engine.

The Shelby is a 500 hp engine which comes with a price tag of over 46,000.00, plus a gas guzzler tax of 1300.00 plus it will empty your pockets putting gas in it.

The Mustang convertible I am looking at is NOT, reapeat NOT, a V6.

But had you read the other posts you would know that already.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:38 AM
Racer

I actually checked into the insurance on a 2002 and 2004 Corvette and is about the same as I am paying now.

I've never driven a Vette but I think it would be too low to the ground for me. I don't want to feel like I am getting into a submarine. My nephew's Firebird is like that and it's one of the most uncomfortable cars I have ever sat in.

The Mustang is about the same height off the ground as my TL, which would make it a comfy sports car to sit in.

Quick Reply: Mid-life crisis or have I lost my mind ????