Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metallic Tint on Non Navi TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 09:22 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Metallic Tint on Non Navi TL

Hello guys I have the WDP Non Navi TL...

My question is that I want to get the metallic tint that has a Mercury sort of look...I dont really know what its called and or what brands make good tint of this type.

I also THINK that it will look nice on the WDP, but I am not sure...does anyone have this sort of tint on the WDP that I could see a pic of?

Thanks guys!
Old 04-11-2006, 03:03 PM
Advanced

Ok guess not...
Old 04-11-2006, 10:00 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
dont get tints. In between fixing the rattles/paint, and getting the tint scratches fixed, you'll never be able to actually drive it.

I know what you mean though, I've seen that cool mercury tint. duno what it is though.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Advanced

lol this may be off subject but leedog drop the grudge... that forum got totally out of control...as for rattles I will post my little journey last night pulling out all the trunk liner and fixing the subwoofer rattle once and for all...im pretty proud of myself...

Back to the mercury tint...I have to find out what it is...

I've seen it on a few new Audi A4's and it look stunning.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:40 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm pretty sure on a non-navi TL you can use any type of tint you want. I've seen the tint you're talking about and it would look great on your car . Best of luck gettin your TL tinted .
Old 04-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Advanced

Thanks boardman ill keep looking...I know its not going to be cheap, but you gotta do what you gotta do...

Anyway, if anyone has information on Mercury looking tints please step forward...

I googled it but cant find much there.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Why dont you call Lexus or another manufacturer that uses that tint and ask them ?
Old 04-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Sweet As Hell

On that color of vehicle, the tint you are talking about looks amazing. I see a few WDP TLs that have black tint, and they look OK, but it kinda doesnt work with the color. The Mercury tint blends with your color, and the end result is a very attractive TL. If you can find it, go for it.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:32 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
depends on the the level of the "mercury" reflection. It could be either mirror tint . Or most likely, metallic tint.

I think mirror tint is illegal in most, if not all states. as for metallic, it's more see-thru than mirror but it retains some of it's reflective properties.

metallic tint

compaired to mirror tint

another mirror tint
Old 04-12-2006, 10:54 PM
Advanced

Thanks kennyc ye I've seen these images actually from google...thanks for taking the time to post them...

I saw a car today on the 405 freeway it was actually an silver 06 Maxima pimped out and it has a F1 Tuning plate...I was so tempted to just follow that guy and pull him over some how to ask...

heh...but ye in california cops are anal about front window tints in general, now if you get complete mirror tints...ye...thats just going to be too attention drawing...

The mercury ones that we have all seen are somewhat see through depending obviously on the % of the tint...

Ill keep you guys posted IM going to a tint shop in LA tomorrow just to see whats up.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:11 PM
Advanced

sorry for all the spelling mistakes I wrote it fast and now that I look over it, I sound retarded.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:14 AM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by kennyc
depends on the the level of the "mercury" reflection. It could be either mirror tint . Or most likely, metallic tint.

I think mirror tint is illegal in most, if not all states. as for metallic, it's more see-thru than mirror but it retains some of it's reflective properties.

metallic tint

compaired to mirror tint

another mirror tint
Actually Maryland has no rules on the reflectivity of the tint so I guess anything is fine unless its too dark.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:19 AM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

no!!! can't do mirror tint in Maryland.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:38 AM
White 2000 TL

Who told you that ? so i guess you cant buy a White lexus Rx 300 in maryland becuz it comes with mirror tint Stock on the rear windows
Old 04-13-2006, 08:11 AM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

rear windows of suv's are exempt but please go and ask any tinter about mirror tint's legality in Maryland.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Doctor Sarcasm

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN MARYLAND?
Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

• Front Side Windows No reference to reflectivity in the current law.
• Back Side Windows No reference to reflectivity in the current law.

Source: http://tintlaws.com/laws/MD/
Old 04-13-2006, 12:51 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

I saw that page as well... but check with those shops and ask about mirror tints and they'll tell you.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:28 PM
Advanced

Ok guys just at this place whos name i cannot remember and am too lazy to find the card for...but its on Van Nuys Blvd...where all the car dealers in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles are.

My friend at the Acura dealer told me to go there because he has been in business for 23 years and all the dealers deal with him. I stoped by and saw his work and quite frankly it was very very clean... I saw a few finished products.

Anyhow I told him about the tint and he said it is called SILVER tint...i said will it be similar to the RX300 factory rear tints and he said Not exactly, but yes similar...i looked at the film it was pretty see through...comparable to about 20% he said.

He quoted me for 185$ and he said its called SILVER QUANTUM. I got his card but am going to ask him about mole skin later...I dont want to scratch that up....i saw this dude on the forums selling the moleskin kit for like 30 bucks...u think its cheaper to buy them and give it to him?
Old 04-13-2006, 09:40 PM
アキュラ 力

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xtin
HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN MARYLAND?
Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

• Front Side Windows No reference to reflectivity in the current law.
• Back Side Windows No reference to reflectivity in the current law.

Source: http://tintlaws.com/laws/MD/
Found an intersting link for you MD folks: http://www.berwynheightspd.com/tinted%20windows.htm

Hopefully this can shed a little light on this tint reflectivity question:

VEHICLE WINDOW TINT LAW
Section 22-406 of the Maryland Transportation Article
Class “A” Registered Vehicles #13-912 (Passenger Vehicles & Station Wagons) - May have add-on
(aftermarket) window tint on any window except the windshield, provided that the tinting material
allows a minimum of 35% light transmittance through the glass.
Class “B, E, & M” Registered Vehicles #13-913, 13-917 & 13-937 (For Hire Vehicles, Trucks & Multi-
Purpose Vehicles) - May have add-on (aftermarket) window tint on any window except the windshield,
provided that the tinting material on the windows to the immediate right and left of the driver allows a
minimum of 35% light transmittance through the glass.
The remaining windows have no percentage requirement.
* In addition, No tinted windows (no matter what the degree of light transmittance is) may have
a “mirrored,” “reflective,” or “one-way” effect, and may not have a Red, Yellow or Amber color.
Violations of the above laws subject the vehicle operator to a $50.00 Traffic Citation under Section 22-406 i1
of the Maryland Vehicle Law and/or a Safety Equipment Repair Order.
If a Safety Equipment Repair Order has been issued for a window tint violation, the problem must be corr-
ected and the vehicle re-inspected within 10 Days, by a member of the Maryland State Police Automotive
Equipment Safety Division. (A.S.E.D.) (Garages cannot certify vehicles for window tint violations.)
Members of the A.S.E.D. are available for vehicle inspections at the Largo MVA (Route 202 near Rt. 214)
on Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays from 8:30 am to 10:30 am, and the Beltsville MVA (Route 1 & Ammen-
dale Drive) on Tuesdays & Thursdays from 8:30 am to 10:30 am.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:49 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

good find!
Old 04-13-2006, 09:50 PM
アキュラ 力

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good find!
Old 04-13-2006, 11:34 PM
Advanced

any chance you can find out which tint shop that is? I'm looking for a good tint shop in Los Angeles area too...

Originally Posted by Abbass Hassani
Ok guys just at this place whos name i cannot remember and am too lazy to find the card for...but its on Van Nuys Blvd...where all the car dealers in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles are.

My friend at the Acura dealer told me to go there because he has been in business for 23 years and all the dealers deal with him. I stoped by and saw his work and quite frankly it was very very clean... I saw a few finished products.

Anyhow I told him about the tint and he said it is called SILVER tint...i said will it be similar to the RX300 factory rear tints and he said Not exactly, but yes similar...i looked at the film it was pretty see through...comparable to about 20% he said.

He quoted me for 185$ and he said its called SILVER QUANTUM. I got his card but am going to ask him about mole skin later...I dont want to scratch that up....i saw this dude on the forums selling the moleskin kit for like 30 bucks...u think its cheaper to buy them and give it to him?
Old 04-15-2006, 05:21 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 06TLASM
any chance you can find out which tint shop that is? I'm looking for a good tint shop in Los Angeles area too...
Hello 06TLASM...the name of the plaace is: SUNSHIELD GLASS TINTING

its located at 4704 Van Nuys Blvd, Sherman Oaks, CA 91403

# is 818 906 8468

ask for: Hamid

Let me know when you want to go, maybe if we both go we can get a better price?

Also for all you people out there what do you think about the silver Quantum tints on the WDP??? I hope it will look nice the guy said that it takes 2 weeks to dry for this particular tint....

ALSO, I havent heard back from you guys about moleskin. Some people get scratched, and some people dont...so I'd rather play it safe and install the moleskin...the question, however, is what the installation process is like. Do they need to remove all the door panels??? if so, I dont trust a tint shop to do that...

Let me know... thanks!
Old 04-15-2006, 09:21 AM
10th Gear

whats the difference?

Referring to the thread title...

In regards to tint options, what does it matter if you have navi or not...?
Old 04-15-2006, 09:38 AM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by Fuser110
Referring to the thread title...

In regards to tint options, what does it matter if you have navi or not...?
Sometimes metallic tint blocks the ability for Nav/XM to work properly