Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Memory Seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 08:57 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
Memory Seats

Has anyone noticed that if you open a door other than the driver's door first, then the memory seat feature doesn't work?
Old 07-17-2004, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Received 1,004 Likes on 574 Posts
Originally Posted by smoore
Has anyone noticed that if you open a door other than the driver's door first, then the memory seat feature doesn't work?
After exhaustive, in-depth testing (meaning a 10 foot walk to the garage and pressing the remote buttons a few times), I must offer the following: mine works. I tried opening passenger door, and rear door, and each time, when I opened the driver's door, the memory feature worked. Even if one of the others doors is still open when you open the criver's door, the memory function still returned the seat to its memory position.

Are you sure you moved the seat before testing this out? Also, the remote is still linked?
Old 07-17-2004, 09:45 AM
Racer

I have done this twice and when the seat did not adjust from my wife's position to mine I relocked the doors and re-opened the driver's door. The seat them moved to my position. It appears that this doesn't happen with your car. Mine is in the bodyshop getting some collision damage repaired. They are going to have to send it to service to replace the radiator and the condensor so I am going to ask them to take a look at this. Even if mine was never corrected, this wouldn't be a big deal. I can either open the driver's door first or press memory one when I do open the door. Thanks for testing this out on your car.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:17 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm confused with this one sometimes, too. If I unlock all doors and open my driver side door right away, I could see the seat moving to its right position (from 1 to 2, for example). If I unlock all doors then check on trunk or serve other passengers getting on car, after a certain time (I don't know how long it is), my seat won't move when I open my door. (I have to press memory seat button to make it move)

This happens on my car since Day 1 (my seat memory module has been replaced and working great so far).

I think whatever it is, it's fine for me.

I'll test what happens on my car later and post again...
Old 07-17-2004, 10:26 AM
Administrator

I didn't test with my wife's keyfob before, but I just did, and it still works as it should, so maybe there is some glitch in your car.

You didn't say what your vin is or when you got your TL, but if it is before vin 018476 you may come under the seat memory tsb. Even if it is after that vin, there have still been reported problems and they might consider replacing your memory seat module.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:30 AM
Racer

My VIN is a Canadian one and I have no idea how to compare it to the American ones. My memory seats always work if I open my driver's door first. When I get my bashed up car back from the bodyshop I am goint to experiment with this. I am wondering, based on what Rets said, whether it depends on how long the back door is open before I open the driver's door. The two times I tried this I had been messing with stuff in the back seat for a few minutes before I tried to open the driver's door. Thanks for testing this out.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:09 AM
Administrator

I tested out this last piece of info from rets. I opened a back door and the trunk. I was going to wait 5 minutes, but got busy in the forum so it was 20 minutes before I went back to the car. Right-the memory didn't work when I opened the front door. Must have something to do with the relock feature, even though it won't relock with any door or the trunk open.

But then I checked something else. With the back door and the trunk open, I pressed the unlock button on the key fob. Then, when I opened the front door, the memory worked.

So, if you have waited too long, just hit the unlock button on the key fob again or, as smoore said, hit the memory button on the door panel.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:09 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My VIN is a Canadian one and I have no idea how to compare it to the American ones. My memory seats always work if I open my driver's door first. When I get my bashed up car back from the bodyshop I am goint to experiment with this. I am wondering, based on what Rets said, whether it depends on how long the back door is open before I open the driver's door. The two times I tried this I had been messing with stuff in the back seat for a few minutes before I tried to open the driver's door. Thanks for testing this out.
A VIN is a VIN is a VIN. No such thing as a Canadian, German, Japanese, US, Vin number. The VIN contains information about who manufactured the car, Year and Date of manufacture, country where the car was manufactured. It also allows the major drive line components to be identified as original to the car.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by batting_cleanup
A VIN is a VIN is a VIN. No such thing as a Canadian, German, Japanese, US, Vin number. The VIN contains information about who manufactured the car, Year and Date of manufacture, country where the car was manufactured. It also allows the major drive line components to be identified as original to the car.

True to a point, but the TSB for Canadian cars are different than for the US cars, and also probably have different cutoff points.

A Canadian dealer will not honor a US TSB, but will have to wait until he gets a Canadian TSB.

I should have noticed that smoore was from Canada, and then I wouldn't have furnished the US TSB info.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:19 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
ok i checked my car.

I unlocked the car and pressed #2 and seats moved to position #2. Then I closed teh door and relocked the car. Then again I unlocked the car and opened front passenger door and the driver seat didnt move so then I opened the drivers door and the seat started moving to its position.

so I guess the seats dont move till you open the drivers door and yes I do have new memory seat module.
Old 07-17-2004, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by AcuraTLjaTT559
ok i checked my car.

I unlocked the car and pressed #2 and seats moved to position #2. Then I closed teh door and relocked the car. Then again I unlocked the car and opened front passenger door and the driver seat didnt move so then I opened the drivers door and the seat started moving to its position.

so I guess the seats dont move till you open the drivers door and yes I do have new memory seat module.
Yes, the seat won't move until you open the driver's door. But the point of this thread is that sometimes even when you open the driver's door the seat won't move, and we have determined that this is probably because the driver waited too long after opening another door, or the trunk, to open the driver's door. It is most likely not a malfunction, but is due to the programming of the car's electronics.
Old 07-17-2004, 02:09 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Originally Posted by Ron A
Yes, the seat won't move until you open the driver's door. But the point of this thread is that sometimes even when you open the driver's door the seat won't move, and we have determined that this is probably because the driver waited too long after opening another door, or the trunk, to open the driver's door. It is most likely not a malfunction, but is due to the programming of the car's electronics.
well then that sounds like a faulty module
Old 07-17-2004, 02:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by batting_cleanup
This is my VIN: 19UUA66254A802412
I haven't been able to relate my VIN to the ones posted by those who purchased in the States. I cannot even post my VIN to the owners link at www.acura.com.
Old 07-17-2004, 04:05 PM
Administrator

well then that sounds like a faulty module
No, it sounds like faulty thinking on your part. As explained above, the seat memory works if you open the driver's door within a specified time period. I don't have the ambition to determine the exact time period, but it is sufficient for normal usage, and for those few times that another door or the trunk is open for longer than that time period and the seat does not adjust when the driver's door is opened, then the driver can use either the key fob or the seat memory button on the door.

This is my VIN: 19UUA66254A802412
I haven't been able to relate my VIN to the ones posted by those who purchased in the States. I cannot even post my VIN to the owners link at www.acura.com.
You can’t relate your VIN to VIN’s purchased in the US. As you can see, in the last six digits of the Canadian VIN, the first digit is an 8, which denotes a Canadian model. The remaining five digits are the serial numbered part of the VIN. Since your VIN serial number is 02412, meaning the 2,412th car produced, it is an early model. This could possibly be the cause of your problem, but since we have already determined it happens to others who wait too long to open the driver’s door after opening another door or the trunk, then there is probably nothing wrong with your car except for the way it was programmed by the designers.
Old 07-17-2004, 04:37 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

No, it sounds like faulty thinking on your part. As explained above, the seat memory works if you open the driver's door within a specified time period. I don't have the ambition to determine the exact time period, but it is sufficient for normal usage, and for those few times that another door or the trunk is open for longer than that time period and the seat does not adjust when the driver's door is opened, then the driver can use either the key fob or the seat memory button on the door.
really confused now
Old 07-17-2004, 05:14 PM
Administrator

really confused now
I never know when you are post whoring or when you are being serious. Just kidding. To put it simply, it seems like this works like the automatic door lock feature, where, if you unlock the doors with the key fob and don't open a door in the preset time period, the doors will relock themselves as a safety feature. My thinking is the memory seat adjustment feature is tied into this program.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:56 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

I never know when you are post whoring or when you are being serious. Just kidding. To put it simply, it seems like this works like the automatic door lock feature, where, if you unlock the doors with the key fob and don't open a door in the preset time period, the doors will relock themselves as a safety feature. My thinking is the memory seat adjustment feature is tied into this program.
ok in 3G i dont whore, thats why we have rambling... thats where i take care of my whoring business.

Second thanx for the clearing it man now it makes sense and it works just like yours or others. oh and points for u
Old 07-17-2004, 11:07 PM
Administrator

ok in 3G i dont whore, thats why we have rambling... thats where i take care of my whoring business.

Second thanx for the clearing it man now it makes sense and it works just like yours or others. oh and points for u
Hallelujah, and thanks for the points. And I am now adding one to my post count (but I am not a post whore).
Old 07-18-2004, 02:13 PM
Racer

You can’t relate your VIN to VIN’s purchased in the US. As you can see, in the last six digits of the Canadian VIN, the first digit is an 8, which denotes a Canadian model. The remaining five digits are the serial numbered part of the VIN. Since your VIN serial number is 02412, meaning the 2,412th car produced, it is an early model. This could possibly be the cause of your problem, but since we have already determined it happens to others who wait too long to open the driver’s door after opening another door or the trunk, then there is probably nothing wrong with your car except for the way it was programmed by the designers.
Thanks for the info on my Canadian VIN. Actually, I don't think it is that early a model as I had the reformulated tires (I now have Michelins). If I recall correctly, the car was built in February.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:57 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know if the seats in the TL are supposed to retract fully back when the key is taken out of the ignition? My wife normally sets the seat fairly close to the steering wheel when driving, but this position is too far forward for her to comfortably enter/exit the vehicle. So for now, she needs to remember to manually set the seat back before exiting. Is there a setting that can enable this to be done automatically? We just got our new TL (White/Quartz, 6SPD, Nav) on Saturday and may be confusing this feature with that of one of the many other cars that we test drove.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:20 PM
Racer

The seats do not retract when you exit the car. Since you probably have the seat further back she could hit your seat setting (on the door) after she stops and puts the car in park. This would cause the seats to retract to your position which should make it easier to exit the car. Unfortunately, she will have to hit your seat button to move the seats back when she enters the car and then hit her seat position to put it in her driving position.

You could delink her key fob and then evertime she gets in the car, regardless of who drove it, the seat would be in your position and she could then hit the door memory position button for her seat position.

I hope this helps.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:28 PM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the memory seat sux, sometimes , its just like "losing memory"... both slot #1 or #2 r disabled,

i have to resetup the memory again...
Old 08-30-2004, 01:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Tell your dealer. There is a revised seat memory module that addresses this problem.

Mike
Old 08-30-2004, 01:50 PM
Administrator

smoore-the seat will not automatically go all the way back. Some people who are the only driver have found a way around this problem, but if your wife wants to retain her seat memory, it will not work for you.

The workaround is to set the seat in the farthest back position, and set memory switch 1 for that postion. Then, set the seat where you want it, and set this to memory switch 2.
Then, when you open the door with the keyfob linked, the seat will go all the way back to memory 1 position, and then when you sit down and you hit #2, it will go to your preset position.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:59 PM
Racer

Ron A

I assumed that two drivers were using the car so it would not be practical to have one of the seat memory positions set to full back. I thought that the husband's setting (assume position 1) is probably far enough back so that the wife could easily exit the car. Since the wife will always want to get in an out of the car with the seat back to the husband's position 1 (i.e., she would not want her linked fob to put the seat into her driving position-position 2-when she opened the car door), she could delink her fob and and when when she exited the car she would hit position one on the door and exit. No matter who was using the car the seat would be in position 1 when the car door was opened. When she was driving she would hit position 2 on the door and move the seat to her preferred driving position.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:03 PM
Administrator

smoore

Your solution for your situation is perfect, and explained well.

I understood it in the first posting you made with it, but I put the workaround in for others who might like to use it if their situation allowed it.