Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Medical excuse for tints

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 12:16 AM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 77 Posts
Medical excuse for tints

So i'm really getting sh*t about my tints from the Cornell police and Ithaca PD. I got a ticket and I turn cops' heads all the time, and the NY legal light transmittance is 70%, i got clocked at 14% (lol ! that's so damn dark, almost dark as darksom).

However, my mom really does have sensitive skin (she even wears a sleeve-cut-off to protect herself from the sun). If she asks a plastic surgeon she knows for a note saying that she actually needs the tint to protect her from the sun, will this be a viable method for ME getting out of a tint ticket? My mom does drive the car from time to time. Or do I actually need that form with the specific skin conditions found online?
Old 11-09-2007, 12:55 AM
Admiral Crunch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bforbrian
So i'm really getting sh*t about my tints from the Cornell police and Ithaca PD. I got a ticket and I turn cops' heads all the time, and the NY legal light transmittance is 70%, i got clocked at 14% (lol ! that's so damn dark, almost dark as darksom).

However, my mom really does have sensitive skin (she even wears a sleeve-cut-off to protect herself from the sun). If she asks a plastic surgeon she knows for a note saying that she actually needs the tint to protect her from the sun, will this be a viable method for ME getting out of a tint ticket? My mom does drive the car from time to time. Or do I actually need that form with the specific skin conditions found online?
Just my humble opinion, feel free to throw it away. Here is what I think. You're young, you're 20, you have a modded car. You're a ticket waiting to happen, and since your tint is so dark, they're gonna bust you for it. You have to be smart to get into Cornell, so I'm going to assume you know this. The only medical excuses I could see working would be eyes, or perhaps skin cancer or something like that. Sensitive skin really won't cut it, I don't think... your best bet would be to see a dermatologist... a plastic surgeon doesn't seem like it would cut it. They're just gonna tell you 70% tint will cut it anyway.

Your best bet would to contact the DMV of NY ....
Click HERE
to get info on that.

Come on man... a note? You're not in high school anymore where a note can get you out of gym.

Either way, good luck. Next time search a little bit, you can find the answer. Took me 2 seconds. Come on Cornell, don't disappoint me!

EDIT:

(c) Any person required for medical reasons to be shielded from the direct rays of the sun and/or any person operating a motor vehicle belonging to such person or in which such person is an habitual passenger shall be exempt from the provisions of subparagraphs one and two of paragraph (b) of this subdivision provided the commissioner has granted an exemption and notice of such exemption is affixed to the vehicle as directed by the commissioner. The applicant for such exemption must provide a physician`s statement with the reason for the exemption, the name of the individual with a medically necessary condition operating or transported in the vehicle, the specific condition involved, and the minimum level of light transmission required. The commissioner shall only authorize exemptions where the medical condition certified by the physician is contained on a list of medical conditions prepared by the commissioner of health pursuant to subdivision sixteen of section two hundred six of the public health law. If such such exemption is granted, the commissioner shall make a record thereof and shall distribute a sufficiently noticeable sticker to the applicant to be attached to any window so shielded or altered pursuant to such exemption.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:09 AM
Pro

What a bunch of BS....

You should get a ticket for asking such a stupid question...

And if you mother goes along with this thinking to protect you from having illegal tint she should get a ticket also for fraud or whatever she is doing to get the exemption... and even thinking to do it shows how bad a parent she is...

If you want to be illegal, then be illegal but pay the fines... OR (and here is a stretch) be legal
Old 11-09-2007, 01:37 AM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Dude, calm the fuck down... he just asked a simple question...
Old 11-09-2007, 01:50 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Unless the car is registered to your mom, it won't matter. I doubt you'll convince anybody in Ithica that your mom is a "habitual passenger", unless she lives nearby.

Getting a doc to go along probably isn't going to be as easy as it sounds either.

And, FWIW, I agree it's kind of stupid to think you'd skate by on 14% in the land of no tints allowed.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:59 AM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 77 Posts
forget it
mods close thread pls
Old 11-09-2007, 02:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

i don't think it'll work man...

you're gonna have to find a doc to hook you up, go legal (ny tint laws really suck btw!) or live with it

legal in missouri is 35% and i get pulled over occasionally with my 15's (just got a tint ticket 2 days ago), but i love my tints and IMO it's just the price i have to pay
Old 11-09-2007, 02:58 AM
DuDeChEwY

damn ppl....he just asked a simple question.............dude yes theres always a way around......i have my car tinted 20s on the side and the back and the front windshield is 35 percent.....check it out.

and i do live in jersey and yes i did get pulled over three times since i got the tints done

but i do have a permit from the stat saying that i can have my windows tinted even the front windshield too....you have to go to your eye doctor and convince them that your eyes are very sensitive and they will give u a letter then you have to go to ur dmv and fill out some paper work and theyll send you a certificate saying that its legal on that car and the only person that can drive the car is the person on the certificate.................................so yeah no one gets to drive ur car anymore..................................lol i say its a good thing
Old 11-09-2007, 03:00 AM
DuDeChEwY

and by the way the three times i did get pulled over i showed them the certificate and they said ok and let me go.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:07 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Damn, no love for the guy.

If you state you have a "medical condition" that requires tinting your vehicle you should be fine.

Make friends with your dermatologist/optometrist!
Old 11-09-2007, 06:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe you can get a "handicapped" parking sticker at the same time
Old 11-09-2007, 06:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
forget it
mods close thread pls
You got it.

This belongs in Ramblings anyway. You probably would have gotten neg repped into an oblivion.