3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowered TL with Aspec lip=Scraping Fest?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lowered TL with Aspec lip=Scraping Fest?

Hi. I'm planning to drop my TL with lowering spring (probably Tein S-tech) and put Aspec body kit on.

I have another car which is lowered about 1-1/4" with coilover and have CF front lip. I need to go into every ditch on the street in angle to avoid getting my front lip scraped on the ground.

Is that the same case with TL? I live in Norcal and every gap between the street is freakin deep!

Please chime in if you have lowering spring and Aspec lip!!
Old 08-03-2009, 11:49 PM
Intermediate

with the center of the a-spec lip being "cut out" it wont be terrible at angles but parking blocks ,dips,curbs,ect. will not be fun to hear
Old 08-04-2009, 12:00 AM
I'm lost..

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have S-techs on my car running stock wheels - Check out pics in my garage.

Scraping? Yes, but its the splash gaurds that are scraping. Nothing major, but a little bit of care and finesse and you'll figure out how to manage the crest of bigger dips (sloped driveways etc). So far, no issues with speed bumps, even without approaching them at an angle.

With an A-spec lip, I assume you MAY have a few scrapes on the bottom here and there if you are coming down from a very steep hill/driveway. But I can't really see it being too much of an issue.

Hope this helps
Old 08-04-2009, 12:27 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ray-ban
I have S-techs on my car running stock wheels - Check out pics in my garage.

Scraping? Yes, but its the splash gaurds that are scraping. Nothing major, but a little bit of care and finesse and you'll figure out how to manage the crest of bigger dips (sloped driveways etc). So far, no issues with speed bumps, even without approaching them at an angle.

With an A-spec lip, I assume you MAY have a few scrapes on the bottom here and there if you are coming down from a very steep hill/driveway. But I can't really see it being too much of an issue.

Hope this helps
Your drop gave me a pretty good idea of how low it will be. I'm thinking once you put the front lip on, it will be sitting lower than the splash guard.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:36 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
The first 2 wks after I installed the TEINs I tried REAL hard to not scrape. I didn't have a single scrape anywhere previously. Then slowly it started scraping here and there, after awhile I got too used to it......Now I am so used to hearing the plastic scrape the ground, speed bumps, driveways, you name it. My puddle lights got smashed, lol. I have no idea how my front lip hasn't ripped off my front bumper, lol. If you live around NY that's the way it goes. These people don't now how to make or maintain roads and driveways that have to cross sidewalks have ridiculous angles. I always have to do the "crawl and feel" method. If I hear scraping I back up and try a different approach.

And I drive like a grandma by the way and watch EVERY pothole. You can't see some of the dips and a whack every other day is inevitable. Even at 50mph it hits hard and I feel the pain in my body. I have studied and memorized every inch of the roadway on my 130 mile daily commute, I switch lanes and swerve around intentionally to stay on the best patch of road. But still you will pay to stay low in NY, there is no other way.......well unless you are ridin on air like Rodney.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:07 AM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
I scrape, but not the lip. I scrape the plastic diffuser that is under there. So its not a big deal really. I am lowered 2 inches.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:17 AM
Advanced

Thanks guys Now I have a pretty good idea how it's gonna be.
I guess it's gonna scrape somewhat. I'm pretty used to avoid a direct hit so I should be okay. Little scraing is part of the game.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:55 AM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
As long as you angle you should not scrape the lip. I scrape the diffuser thing all the time though. I have hit the lip on a parking stopper though
Old 08-04-2009, 03:27 AM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthraciteAspec
As long as you angle you should not scrape the lip. I scrape the diffuser thing all the time though. I have hit the lip on a parking stopper though
O god...reminds me of the time I forgot there was a parking block in front of me and I went straight instead of reversing out...my lip hates me for that.

Anyways, OP don't worry about scraping...you'll scrape the front valence almost every day, but scraping the actual lip is pretty rare...you just need to learn how to drive a lowered car...it's really a skill in my opinion.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:39 AM
I'm lost..

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ifirahse
O god...reminds me of the time I forgot there was a parking block in front of me and I went straight instead of reversing out...my lip hates me for that.

Anyways, OP don't worry about scraping...you'll scrape the front valence almost every day, but scraping the actual lip is pretty rare...you just need to learn how to drive a lowered car...it's really a skill in my opinion.

bingo, well said dude
Old 08-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree.. but it sounds like OP has had practice with his other car..

People look at me funny sometimes because the angle I am taking when going through bumps.. lol
Old 08-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
I am installing an Aspec kit and a set of H&R springs this weekend but roads around here arent that bad
Old 08-04-2009, 12:27 PM
ADVANCE.

Yeah, no matter what you are going to scrape regardless. Its only the plastic underneath. If you were to go outside and look at what you are going over, you still have plenty of space from the actual car. Just the sound of the plastic makes it seem worse than it really is. Lower it to your pleasing, you'll be fine.

PEACE!
Old 08-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 349 Likes on 291 Posts
i scrape my lip to the point where my bumper tab broke... but im a 2G..

everytime i hear scrape from a 3G.. its that plastic diffuser thingy-ma-bober on the bottom. no worries.

DROP IT!!! GOGOGOGO
Old 08-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Chapter Leader (New England)

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Agree 100%

I'm lowered about 2.3 in the front and I hardly ever scrape the bumper, but I'm letting nature run it's course on the valence under the car, lol. That thing it just about on it's last leg.

Just keep in mind, driving a lowered car well, is all about your angle of attack.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bzyrice
I agree.. but it sounds like OP has had practice with his other car..

People look at me funny sometimes because the angle I am taking when going through bumps.. lol

Yeah, I've been driving my lowered Evo with CF spoiler for over two years. I'm used to attacking every bump in angle. I will sacrifice "no worry driving" for looking nice. That's the price I'm willing to pay

I have no hesitation to go lower and look nicer
Old 08-04-2009, 02:40 PM
I MAKE NO SENSE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ I love takoyaki btw.... (the food)

ANYWAYS - You might want to look at the Hamsup's TL, his TL is Aspec'd and slammed
Old 08-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Full A-Spec 08 CBP TL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im on MT on AT A-spec and i scrape the plastic underneath as well, pretty sure the lip will never scrape though.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthraciteAspec
I scrape, but not the lip. I scrape the plastic diffuser that is under there. So its not a big deal really. I am lowered 2 inches.
^^^ +1 for me... I am lower 2 inches and scrape the plastic diffuser.

Never scrape the lip. Only time I scrape my lip bad is when i hit tires on the freeway
Old 08-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I lowered by '94 WDP with Tein S-tech springs. I have yet to scrape. IMO, the s-tech option is the way to go if you cannot fork out the dough for coilovers. You can see some pics here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-photograph-gallery-96/04-wdp-stock-drop-732346/

Keep in mind things have settled a bit (maybe another 1/2-in at the most), but it has proven to be a great set-up for a daily driver.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Red Voodoo
I lowered by '94 WDP with Tein S-tech springs. I have yet to scrape. IMO, the s-tech option is the way to go if you cannot fork out the dough for coilovers. You can see some pics here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732346

Keep in mind things have settled a bit (maybe another 1/2-in at the most), but it has proven to be a great set-up for a daily driver.
I checked out your pic. That's how I wanna make her car into before putting 19s on. I was gonna go 19s -> tein stech -> Aspec body kit. But since I don't wanna wait till the point where my bumper white's too off from the body kit. I'm going Tein -> Apec kit -> 19s.
Plan to swap out the side marker, deck spoiler, black out head light, and mesh on lower grill. That's pretty much it for this car.

Did you end up getting a camber kit with Stech? Do you recall the actual camber measurement?

Last edited by Takoyaki; 08-04-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:27 AM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
No camber kit was required with the s-techs. I put on about 100 miles before I had the car aligned, and only the right rear camber was just outside of the factory specs. I'd have to find the print-out to give you more specifics. The tires seem to be wearing well after a couple thousand miles. I suppose only time will tell.

I can also say that the ride isn't much stiffer than the stock set-up, which is one of the reasons I highly recommend these springs for those on a budget.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:06 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Red Voodoo
No camber kit was required with the s-techs. I put on about 100 miles before I had the car aligned, and only the right rear camber was just outside of the factory specs. I'd have to find the print-out to give you more specifics. The tires seem to be wearing well after a couple thousand miles. I suppose only time will tell.

I can also say that the ride isn't much stiffer than the stock set-up, which is one of the reasons I highly recommend these springs for those on a budget.
Sounds great. It's gonna be my daily driver so I can't justify spending too much on a coilover. Can't wait to install them.