3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A lot of people "say" they got their 06 tl/navi for 31,***. anyone have proof?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 09:29 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drunkenmunky23
good stuff man. CONGRATS ON THE NEW CAR! u definitely wont regret getting the navi, its awsome.

p.s. you bought the car on my bday, so now we both have something to celebrate on july 23rd. haha.
happy bday! so your 21 now?
Old 07-23-2006, 10:50 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Let me start by saying that i work for honda/acura. A dealer will never sell a car under invoice unless it makes some sort of bottom line sense.
For example:
1. Holding money on the trade as someone already stated above.....if im giving u 8k for your car thats actually worth 11k....sure ill sell it to u under invoice.

2. If they sell you the car for invoice or under then hit you with "fees" that u may believe to be real so i make back my profit.

3. They will also do that if they know ur financing and they can try to make back their money in the back end .....as in alarms, lojack, paint protection, vin etch, warranties and the good old reserve/rate.

4. If there is money back from the factory (there happens to be none back on TLs). Domestic manufacturers tend to do that a lot which in turn kills re-sale value but thats a whole other story!

5. If its the last day of the month and they already have 100k on the books but they only have 299 cars burning gas........1 short of preferable allocation from the factory and 1 short of a nice bonus for the managers of that dealership........then u may jus get that -$1000 loser deal.

6. Last but not least .....if u have a plain old dog of a car that no one ever buys and u have too much in inventory then u may take loser delas to get rid of them. Honda/Acura doesnt have that problem except for the Honda Element!

Dont forget a lot of people stretch the truth when it comes to what they paid for their car in fear of people saying they got ripped off.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:10 PM
Intermediate

hey playboyace35, congrats!

tried to PM you but seems your message box is full... I'll send you an email then!!
Old 07-23-2006, 11:15 PM
Intermediate

Price quote from Power Acura

Actually, I have an email quote from Jerry Ede of Power Acura South Bay (Torrance) of $31,495 for Navi TL, including destination and the propack. I have an email quote for $1K more from Norm Reeves Acura in Temecula.

I'm just trying to decide if it's worth it to make the drive to Torrance.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by portoar
Actually, I have an email quote from Jerry Ede of Power Acura South Bay (Torrance) of $31,495 for Navi TL, including destination and the propack. I have an email quote for $1K more from Norm Reeves Acura in Temecula.

I'm just trying to decide if it's worth it to make the drive to Torrance.

other dealers in van nuys and covina will likely give you the same number.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:08 AM
TLove

Originally Posted by playboyace35
happy bday! so your 21 now?
yes sir, finally legal.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:09 PM
'06 NBP TL 6spd

Hello all, noob here although I've read around here a lot. I was interested in a used LexGS430 but now I'm leaning towards an 06TL 6spd w/navi and this is a GREAT thread. Thanks for everybody posting!

I'm just curious, although I'm from AZ, I don't mind going out to SoCal to buy a car.

As far as I've seen, Jerry Ede is the guy to get in touch with over at Acura South bay, can anyone recommend someone from Keyes Acura?

Also, does anyone know how the tax would work since I live in AZ?

Thanks a lot for any help. Much appreciated!
Old 07-24-2006, 05:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
i was offered an 06 w/ navi for 34,500 out the door. tax title and license.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by realfresh
Hello all, noob here although I've read around here a lot. I was interested in a used LexGS430 but now I'm leaning towards an 06TL 6spd w/navi and this is a GREAT thread. Thanks for everybody posting!

I'm just curious, although I'm from AZ, I don't mind going out to SoCal to buy a car.

As far as I've seen, Jerry Ede is the guy to get in touch with over at Acura South bay, can anyone recommend someone from Keyes Acura?

there is a nice guy named david, i think last name is bradley (short guy). he offered to beat the deal i got from santa monica which was 31570 with nave including destination. he said the worst was beating it, but maybe even better.

tell him johnny sent you and ask him to honor the same deal. they will charge you tax according to AZ rate and hopefully apply to DMV for you as wel..
Old 07-24-2006, 06:22 PM
Intermediate

Quotes in LA County

Originally Posted by trovan
other dealers in van nuys and covina will likely give you the same number.

Actually, I'm trying to find someone south of Torrance who will match Power Acura's price. I got a dealership in Anaheim to match the Power Acura quote, so that saves me about 25 miles, and if I can find someone closer in than Anaheim I'll go with them.

But the dealers in San Diego County can't seem to match those prices.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:59 PM
'06 NBP TL 6spd

Originally Posted by trovan
there is a nice guy named david, i think last name is bradley (short guy). he offered to beat the deal i got from santa monica which was 31570 with nave including destination. he said the worst was beating it, but maybe even better.

tell him johnny sent you and ask him to honor the same deal. they will charge you tax according to AZ rate and hopefully apply to DMV for you as wel..

Thanks Trovan, I appreciate the help
Old 07-25-2006, 03:22 AM
Instructor

INCLUDES WHEEL LOCK + SPLASH GUARDS, THEY ACCIDENTLY GAVE ME trunk tray.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:55 AM
Instructor

<sales receipt>
cool, so how long did it take for paperwork, inspection, etc.?
Old 07-25-2006, 12:37 PM
3rd Gear

I just got an '06 TL w/o Navi for 31,500... I don't think 31 w/ Navi is possible because the invoice should be around 32k
Old 07-25-2006, 12:50 PM
TLove

Originally Posted by prusso78
I just got an '06 TL w/o Navi for 31,500... I don't think 31 w/ Navi is possible because the invoice should be around 32k
its obviously possible, lol. the proof is in this thread. invoice-shimvoice, wen dealers get desparate they go below it.

but its only possible in some states, mainly cali
Old 07-25-2006, 01:14 PM
Intermediate

06 TL w/Navi for $31XXX

Originally Posted by prusso78
I do believe it is possible, some people have posted their receipts, and I have three written quotes from Orange County/LA dealerships ranging from $31,120 (does not include pro-pack) to $31,495 (w/propack).

I think you all are forgetting that invoice may be $32,820, but there's a $1k dealer holdback and some are selling below to clear out inventory for the 07s.

I'm buying mine this Saturday, so will report on my otd price . . . I'm expecting it to be about $34,250 with ttl.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jdeec
cool, so how long did it take for paperwork, inspection, etc.?
I went in at 11:10am and i left at 3:15pm.

I could had picked up the car on the same day, but they forgot to inspect the car before i got there. The car JUST got off the truck. However, most cars are already inspected. Paperwork + talking will usually take 3-4 hours.

Good luck jdeec.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:18 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by realfresh

Just make sure you don't buy HP tires with your manual tranny TL... they burn out really fast! Enjoy!
Old 07-26-2006, 09:00 PM
Advanced

Post $31,400

2006 Acura TL WITH Navi
Just bought yesterday for $31,400 before TTL. I submitted for an online quote between 4 SF Bay Area dealers. I let them start calling and emailing. Then it was just an entire day of calling each guy back and letting them outbid each other. I finally got 3 dealerships to $31,400. One was going to give some coupon book, one was gonna give me the propack for free (MSRP $900+), and I got the 3rd to give me the iPod musiclink free, installed. I was tired of them outbidding each other $50 here and there, and it seemed like $31,400 was the lowest anyone would go. So I just threw out a ridiculously low # to the 2nd dealer just to see if he would bite, I asked for the coupon book, wheel locks, mudguards, iPod musiclink and $31,000 !! Haha.. no response from him.

I didn't care for the coupon book or the propack even though it has a higher MSRP value than the iPod link. I just really wanted to have a way to play MP3's in my car until I get a decent headunit. The place I bought it at was also the best place logistically to pick up my car and drive it home, since I had a place to leave my old car by that dealership. The salesman was also very professional, and had great follow up. I'm somewhat in a sales position also, so I appreciated his promptness in contacting me, follow up, and work ethic. Now of course, ultimately I went with the price and extras he threw in, but I still think the guy did a good job.

Oh yeah.. and I had no troubles w/ the finance department. I knew everything that was gonna come out of her mouth before she even said it. I said no thanks to the extended warranty, protective paint, yada yada. It was already past 7pm at the point and I could see she wanted to go home. I got the 4.9% 60mo financing promotion they have until July 31st. I actually enjoyed the process of buying this car because I felt 100% in control. When I was 22 or so, I bought a used car and felt ripped off afterwards. I didn't ever want to feel like that again.

Old 07-26-2006, 11:18 PM
Cruisin'

Everyone that is getting their TL for 31..... are paying the same all around the country because they are hitting you guys with stupid fees. I see on one of them there was some 275 fee, I didn't get here in texas. I paid 32500 but with TTL, it was 34800. Everyone is paying that amount after all our taxes and fees. This is with navi of course.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:42 AM
TLove

Originally Posted by Armada05
Everyone that is getting their TL for 31..... are paying the same all around the country because they are hitting you guys with stupid fees. I see on one of them there was some 275 fee, I didn't get here in texas. I paid 32500 but with TTL, it was 34800. Everyone is paying that amount after all our taxes and fees. This is with navi of course.
taxes vary a lot from state to state, so in reality, some are getting better deals.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts

The reason I asked for the dollar amount of sales tax is that is the most accurate way to determine what the dealer really charged you. He can lie to you but he can't lie to the State of California.

You said your tax rate is 7.75%? Then, if you indeed paid $31,708 for your car, the tax would have been $ 2457.

However, you paid $2615.91 in tax -or $158.54 more than expected! That is the amount of sales tax collected on a sale of $ 33, 754.

There is no tax on tax. Something doesn't add up. Did they overcharge you for the sales tax and pocket it? Or did they put bogus numbers on your copy of the Installment Sales Contract and the correct numbers on their copy.

Is this an honest mistake or our first look at a new dealer scam?

Feel free to do the math and see if you come up with the same numbers. If you do, I would suggest you get an adjustment from the dealer or go to the Department of Revenue and ask why you paid 8.25% sales tax to the dealer.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Xpditor
The reason I asked for the dollar amount of sales tax is that is the most accurate way to determine what the dealer really charged you. He can lie to you but he can't lie to the State of California.

You said your tax rate is 7.75%? Then, if you indeed paid $31,708 for your car, the tax would have been $ 2457.

However, you paid $2615.91 in tax -or $158.54 more than expected! That is the amount of sales tax collected on a sale of $ 33, 754.

There is no tax on tax. Something doesn't add up. Did they overcharge you for the sales tax and pocket it? Or did they put bogus numbers on your copy of the Installment Sales Contract and the correct numbers on their copy.

Feel free to do the math and see if you come up with the same numbers. If you do, I would suggest you get an adjustment from the dealer or go to the Department of Revenue and ask why you paid 8.25% sales tax to the dealer.
I think you may have confused him with someone else. The tax rate for Concord is 8.25%
Old 07-27-2006, 12:49 PM
'16 FBP Advance FWD

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If he bought the car in Concord, CA, then the tax rate is 8.25:

http://money.cnn.com/best/bpretire/snapshots/32161.html
Old 07-27-2006, 12:51 PM
Instructor

On a related note, I received another email from the salesman and he quoted an '06 w/Nav for $31,625(incl. destination)
Old 07-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by jdeec
I think you may have confused him with someone else. The tax rate for Concord is 8.25%
You're right. I got two people responding to my questions.

Davenlei said he bought it at Concord but his residence tax rate was 7.75% and you pay according to where you live, not where the dealer is.

Nevermind.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:34 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Armada05
Document fee $45 (I probably could've removed this, but it's minimal)
License fee $205 (I think this is standard)
Registration/Title $63 (standard)
California tire $8.75 (less than the price of a movie ticket)

The fees were not a problem. California taxes suck, that's for sure.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:02 AM
Instructor

my tax is 7.25, they are going over it and they'll give me a call tomorrow
Old 07-28-2006, 11:43 AM
Racer

Actually I bought from South Bay Acura (8.25%) but I live in OC (7.75%). One of the first things I did was check to make sure I only paid 7.75% tax which was correct.
You get taxed at the rate where you reside, not where the dealer is (at least in CA).
Old 07-28-2006, 11:48 AM
Racer

Playboyace,

They will have to give you your money back (may actually have to write up a new invoice). If they do not give you back your overpayment, call up your state's Atty General to file a complaint. Also call the states tax franchise board to tell them that the dealer is over taxing you and possibly keeping the money as unreported income. Auditors will come to them drooling hoping this is something they do often and can catch them.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by davenlei
Playboyace,

They will have to give you your money back (may actually have to write up a new invoice). If they do not give you back your overpayment, call up your state's Atty General to file a complaint. Also call the states tax franchise board to tell them that the dealer is over taxing you and possibly keeping the money as unreported income. Auditors will come to them drooling hoping this is something they do often and can catch them.
they said they'll send me a check and it'll come within 1-2 weeks...

i cant big corps scam people in this way.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:51 PM
Intermediate

Just bought my 06 TL w/ Navi!

Hi everyone,

I just got home from purchasing my 06 TL w/ Navi -- Silver with quartz interior. I'm in So Cal, so getting a light exterior was important to me -- you know our sun is hot, and I want as much heat reflected off the car as possible. I really liked the white best, but it comes with that parchment interior, which is going to look trashed in about a week, so the Silver/Quartz was the next best choice.

Anyway, I had 4 quotes from Orange County/LA at $31,495. Hoehn Acura in Carlsbad really wanted my business, and after much wrangling with the GM, they agreed to match the other dealer's prices. According to Hoehn, the LA dealers are all in a price war, they are all operating in the red, and it's killing off business in San Diego.

Anyway, they matched the price but did not include the mud guards or trunk tray -- but agreed to give me those at cost.

That was o.k. with me because the OTD price (including the mud guards and trunk tray) ended up being only $120 more than the OTD price at the other dealerships. It was worth that much to me not to have to pay a babysitter and drive up to Orange County.

Anyway, when we got there the fleet salesman I'd been working with on the purchase was busy, so he asked another salesman to work with us. We went into the little room to do the deal and the salesman asked us what internet price I'd negotiated. I said $31,450, he said, no there's a mistake, the price you negotiated was for a non-navi. I said, here it is in writing and he looked totally shocked. Jumped out of his chair, rushed out of the room and checked the bid with the other salesman and the GM. He came back shaking his head and said no one had ever gotten the Navi TL at anywhere near that price. He kept coming back to it throughout the purchase and asked how we did it. (At this point my husband started bragging about my negotiating skills).

Anyway, so the good deals can also be had in San Diego county, you just have to document your bids from Orange County/LA, be polite and say you want to give the local dealer your business but can't justify it with the price savings other dealers offer. They will hate it but they'll come around.

I also want to say that Hoehn Acura in Carlsbad was very professional, the whole thing went quite smoothly, and even my husband, who is suspicious, angry and confrontational with car salesmen said "I'd go back there."

Anyway I'm thrilled, I love it!
Old 07-29-2006, 11:33 PM
Intermediate

I been shopping for a TL or TSX for the pass month. Went to 6 Acura dealership between Maryland, DC area. Best deal I was offered for the TL was 33,000 OTD, my offer was 32,000 and i wasn't going any higher on it, I believe I got really close to the cheapest price any dealership would sell it for. I personally think 33,000 wasn't bad, but I had to factor in buying a new with a V6, only taking mid-grade size and up...it would have been a tough buy to handle. So, I test drove the TSX AT w/ Navi and was very very happy. only thing it lacks what the TL offers, it more interior space and estimated 50-55 hps, I'll live.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:00 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by o's n nattyboh
I been shopping for a TL or TSX for the pass month. Went to 6 Acura dealership between Maryland, DC area. Best deal I was offered for the TL was 33,000 OTD, my offer was 32,000 and i wasn't going any higher on it, I believe I got really close to the cheapest price any dealership would sell it for. I personally think 33,000 wasn't bad, but I had to factor in buying a new with a V6, only taking mid-grade size and up...it would have been a tough buy to handle. So, I test drove the TSX AT w/ Navi and was very very happy. only thing it lacks what the TL offers, it more interior space and estimated 50-55 hps, I'll live.
The mistake might have been "going to the dealerships." When I started shopping a friend advised me to email the fleet managers directly and request written bids via email, and make them break out price (including destination), TTL, and out the door price. I spent two weeks using the internet to look up all the Acura dealers, got bids, and played them off each other. While I was prepared to drive 1-2 hours to get the best prices (in LA), ultimately the dealership closest to me caved in and matched price. The service was great and since the price was all negotiated ahead of time the only hangup was waiting for them to detail the car.

Anyway the TSX is a great car too, can't go wrong either way.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:04 AM
Intermediate

The mistake might have been "going to the dealerships." When I started shopping a friend advised me to email the fleet managers directly and request written bids via email, and make them break out price (including destination), TTL, and out the door price. I spent two weeks using the internet to look up all the Acura dealers, got bids, and played them off each other. While I was prepared to drive 1-2 hours to get the best prices (in LA), ultimately the dealership closest to me caved in and matched price. The service was great and since the price was all negotiated ahead of time the only hangup was waiting for them to detail the car.

Anyway the TSX is a great car too, can't go wrong either way.

whats the difference?
Old 07-30-2006, 09:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
hi guys new here..found the site thru someone from youtube...

Anyways I just recently got back from the dealer here in NY. I went to the dealer in Roslyn,NY which is Rallye Acura. The salesman seemed welcoming and wasnt at all pushy. After I test drove the TL (auto) with Navi he quoted me $32800 with destination charge. Is this around the ballpark for Long Island,NY pricing ?

If it is, I'm gonna go stop by and drop a deposit since the color combo I wanted wasnt available, not until mid to end of Aug.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:07 PM
Intermediate

whats the difference?
The difference is whether you're working with the commission salespeople on the lot or the fleet salespeople. My first time out I just went to a dealer and the best I could talking face to face was invoice + 300 ($33,100). Plus put up with all the crap about this deal is only good today, etc.

Then my friend told me to look up all the dealers from San Diego up to LA, email all the fleet managers, and ask for their best internet price. (important to ask for price including destination, have them break down ttl, and give you an out the door price).

Once I got my first quote at $31,495, all the others in Orange County and LA fell into line. I even got a quote from Tustin Acura at $31,120, but ultimately I didn't drive up there for that deal.

Initially, I wasn't able to get any San Diego dealers to match the price, but finally my home town Acura dealer wanted the business and agreed to match. I was able to swing this by sending them the written quotes from the other dealers and referring them to the Edmunds and Azurazine forum discussions showing the prices other people were getting.

All of the negotiating work was done by email, with a little phone work, and I had written quotes from each dealer. I made a little excel spreadsheet showing the price and tax/license/doc/out the door price charged by each dealership so that I could easily check who was offering the best out the door bottom line.

At that point, the price is all negotiated by the time you actually step into the dealership. The "hard" part is just deciding what color and waiting for them to detail your car.

I spent about two weeks on the whole process of collecting bids and negotiating my local dealer down. The whole thing can easily be done in a week or less.

Hope this helps. Remember there's a $1060 dealer holdback on the Navi and $1000 on the non-navi.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:17 PM
Intermediate

The difference is whether you're working with the commission salespeople on the lot or the fleet salespeople. My first time out I just went to a dealer and the best I could talking face to face was invoice + 300 ($33,100). Plus put up with all the crap about this deal is only good today, etc.

Then my friend told me to look up all the dealers from San Diego up to LA, email all the fleet managers, and ask for their best internet price. (important to ask for price including destination, have them break down ttl, and give you an out the door price).

Once I got my first quote at $31,495, all the others in Orange County and LA fell into line. I even got a quote from Tustin Acura at $31,120, but ultimately I didn't drive up there for that deal.

Initially, I wasn't able to get any San Diego dealers to match the price, but finally my home town Acura dealer wanted the business and agreed to match. I was able to swing this by sending them the written quotes from the other dealers and referring them to the Edmunds and Azurazine forum discussions showing the prices other people were getting.

All of the negotiating work was done by email, with a little phone work, and I had written quotes from each dealer. I made a little excel spreadsheet showing the price and tax/license/doc/out the door price charged by each dealership so that I could easily check who was offering the best out the door bottom line.

At that point, the price is all negotiated by the time you actually step into the dealership. The "hard" part is just deciding what color and waiting for them to detail your car.

I spent about two weeks on the whole process of collecting bids and negotiating my local dealer down. The whole thing can easily be done in a week or less.

Hope this helps. Remember there's a $1060 dealer holdback on the Navi and $1000 on the non-navi.

cool...pretty good work, but to each their own. how much did you end up buying your TL OTD?
Old 07-30-2006, 06:51 PM
Intermediate

cool...pretty good work, but to each their own. how much did you end up buying your TL OTD?
06 TL w/Navi:

Price incl destination $31,495
Doc Fees $45
Tax $2,444.35
State DMV Fees $264
State Tire Fee $8.75

Total OTD $34,257.10
Old 07-30-2006, 11:46 PM
Instructor

great deals...i paid 35.6k OTD in june

Quick Reply: A lot of people "say" they got their 06 tl/navi for 31,***. anyone have proof?