Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lost control and hit a tree

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 10:03 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy lost control and hit a tree

hey guys!! i got in a roundabout corner few minutes ago and slide thru it... got on the grass over a side walk and hit a tree... not a lot of damage but front bumper is misaligned and something is broken under the car.... VSA, ABS, and TMSS lights are on

please help... what should i do ? call insurance? cops? go to the dealership? some other shop? please help guys

i feel something is scraping when driving and it doesnt feel right... please help... what could be wrong?
Old 02-11-2007, 10:10 PM
East Coast Crew

Go to the dealership and see what happened...you can usually get a ball park on the price range.

Glad to see you're alright. Also...you must love this site so much that you posted about it in a few mins =x
Old 02-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you should have called the police at the time of the accident. you should probably still call them. Then call your insurance company.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:19 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

u should read my accident. did wheel recieve any impact?

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=25mPH
Old 02-11-2007, 10:23 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

I'd say call insurance if u have subframe damage cuz that will double the bill.
I still didnt go thru insurance cuz Im young driver and 2 accidents = insurance cancelled.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Instructor

the left side of the bumper is out and the right side looks normal, but when i turn the wheel to the right there is a scraping noise...
if i go to the dealership will it report to my insurance company?
Old 02-11-2007, 11:37 PM
Instructor

i didn't drive the car home, left it where it happened. i went over the curb and since it was grass i could not stop and hit a tree with left side of the car. left side of the bumper is bent inward towards the bottom and on the left fender its missaligned by 2-3 inches VSA, ABS, and TMSS lights are all on and i felt driving around the parking lot that car drives different and the wheel is going towards the right a lil bit.

should i take it to the dealership or independent car shop?

i'm 21, have 1 minor ticket for passing stop sign and no accidents on my record. my deductible is $500 and lets say my damage is $1,500. should i call the insurance? what kinda surcharge would i have for next 3 yrs
Old 02-11-2007, 11:40 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
just tell them you had a weather related accident, lost control on some snow/ice. Its no big deal, and I doubt it even counts against you.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:41 PM
Instructor

TPMS light***
Old 02-11-2007, 11:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by leedogg
just tell them you had a weather related accident, lost control on some snow/ice. Its no big deal, and I doubt it even counts against you.
I'm in Florida and it didn't rain My dumba$$ had the VSA off when this happened
Old 02-11-2007, 11:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by visuelz
Go to the dealership and see what happened...you can usually get a ball park on the price range.

Glad to see you're alright. Also...you must love this site so much that you posted about it in a few mins =x
thanks man. yea i def. love this site!!! i was at my schools library from which i ordered AEM CAI from Excelerate and in less than 5 minutes this happened to me I went back to library and posted this and called Excelerate and begged him to cancel my order as I am going to be broke now

I am taking a day off tomorrow and will be making some phone calls, I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:15 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ninor
I'm in Florida and it didn't rain My dumba$$ had the VSA off when this happened

Uhhhh... why did you have the VSA off exactly???
Old 02-12-2007, 12:43 AM
Pro

Sounds to me like you were hot rodding and lost control... so put your flame suit on..

Been there, done that when I was your age... take it in for an estimate... and be prepared to call your insurance if it is a high cost...

And be prepared to be cancelled or pay a higher rate...

I continue to wonder why someone so young wastes their money on a car like this.. have you not heard of saving???
Old 02-12-2007, 08:46 AM
Instructor

bump. I'm with State Farm for 4 years and have never filed any claims with them. do you guys think they would surcharge me and if so by how much?
Old 02-12-2007, 10:15 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Act responsible!!

I'll save the hard-core flaming for everyone else. But yeah, you shouldn't be driving this car if you can't handle the responsibility of taking care of it!

One such area of responsibility, assuming this car is financed, is to the people who lent you the money to pay for it in the first place! One of the reasons it is mandatory to carry insurance is to protect their interest. You HAVE to report this accident if you can't fix it out of pocket! You have subframe damage and no telling what else. Sounds like the control arm may have been damaged as well unless you just knocked the alignment out of wack. You really think what you described is $1500?? You should be so lucky! If you had an accident with that amount of damage ($1500 or less), then I say yeah, fix it yourself. But your's doesn't sound like that. Anyway, you probably have roadside assistance so get it towed and looked at by the dealer. NO THEY DON'T REPORT THE ACCIDENT! Even the police don't do that. I don't know if they will cite you for reckless driving, however. This is left totally up to you to report as you were the only driver.

This is an expensive "toy". Don't play with it if you can't handle the bill!!
Old 02-12-2007, 10:38 AM
18,000mi. 29000km

I heard mine was going to go up by 15% for 5 years. This is alberta so it may differ. I think insurance premium was going to be 3000 more for 5 year period. My bill was almost 4500-5000 range but I still didnt file insruance. How faast did u go over the curb in which direction? foward or sideways? Mine was sideways and done a lotta stuff underneath.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:28 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by benike84
you should have called the police at the time of the accident. you should probably still call them. Then call your insurance company.

Why would you call the police when it was a single car accident? That is a horrible idea.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:38 AM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, if you are in a self-related accident, and as long as you didn't damage anyone elses property, I'd call a tow and then bring it to a shop and get an estimate.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:42 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

i didn't drive the car home, left it where it happened. i went over the curb and since it was grass i could not stop and hit a tree with left side of the car. left side of the bumper is bent inward towards the bottom and on the left fender its missaligned by 2-3 inches VSA, ABS, and TMSS lights are all on and i felt driving around the parking lot that car drives different and the wheel is going towards the right a lil bit.

should i take it to the dealership or independent car shop?

i'm 21, have 1 minor ticket for passing stop sign and no accidents on my record. my deductible is $500 and lets say my damage is $1,500. should i call the insurance? what kinda surcharge would i have for next 3 yrs
A "round-a-bout" and you did THAT much damage? Exactly how fast were you going? If you were going over 25, I'd call your insurance because it may be well over $1,500 of damage (bumper itself could be $1,200). If you were traveling 5-10 MPH (which is more appropriate for a "round-about" then you shold not have had that much damage.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Eoanou
Yeah, if you are in a self-related accident, and as long as you didn't damage anyone elses property, I'd call a tow and then bring it to a shop and get an estimate.
Good advice, no cops.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:27 PM
Visionary Styles Crew

darksom is pissed off! lol.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:32 PM
Instructor

thank you guys for all the responses. i know i do realize i was a dumba$$ and did not act responsibly at all!!! as i am underwriter for another auto insurance company and we go by state farm rules (who i have for insurance) we have accident forgiveness for people that have had their policy in force for at least 3 years with no prior claims. i have no claims and this is first at fault accident and therefore i will have no surcharge for it. I have gotten in contact with repair shop where state farm takes their car to and in few minutes i am calling my agent to find out claims number and i am reporting a claim. the shop that i will take my vehicle to is reputable and my dealership doesnt even have a body shop (they take it to volkswagen down the street). i plan on ordering parts myself from acuraoemparts of acuraparts247 and having the shop repair it.

my only question now is... should i call roadside assistance and have the car towed to the dealership first so they take a look at it or straight to the shop?
Old 02-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by darksom1
You HAVE to report this accident if you can't fix it out of pocket! You have subframe damage and no telling what else. Sounds like the control arm may have been damaged as well unless you just knocked the alignment out of wack. You really think what you described is $1500?? You should be so lucky! If you had an accident with that amount of damage ($1500 or less), then I say yeah, fix it yourself. But your's doesn't sound like that.

This is an expensive "toy". Don't play with it if you can't handle the bill!!
dont worry dude i realized the consequences of my actions and i can handle the bill... my only concern was how i could spend less money while fixing it and you or anyone else would do the same!

i hit the curb at 10 degree angle or so. with left wheel on the curb first
Old 02-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I had a back panel repaired for a minor ding while backing out of a parking spot last summer and it cost $1500. I am going to guess that your damages are at least 2-3x more than $1500. Your young and have a nice car. Use this as a lesson learned and take it easy next time.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:57 PM
Instructor

dont worry dude i realized the consequences of my actions and i can handle the bill... my only concern was how i could spend less money while fixing it and you or anyone else would do the same!

i hit the curb at 10 degree angle or so. with left wheel on the curb first
How fast were you going?
Old 02-12-2007, 12:59 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

towing to dealer vs shop

Shop will do equally good job if they touched hondas and acuras before. They might take a little longer figuring out which part to order or bent but dealer will definitely charge more.

In my case, I got towed to dealer because they got me in quicker but after I shopped around, I would saved money - which if u r going htru insurance doesn't matter.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JAB00
I had a back panel repaired for a minor ding while backing out of a parking spot last summer and it cost $1500. I am going to guess that your damages are at least 2-3x more than $1500. Your young and have a nice car. Use this as a lesson learned and take it easy next time.

well i definitely learned my lesson and will take it easy from now on. i do learn really good from my mistakes, it just sucks that only after the mistake i start behaving right
Old 02-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Actuary
towing to dealer vs shop

Shop will do equally good job if they touched hondas and acuras before. They might take a little longer figuring out which part to order or bent but dealer will definitely charge more.

In my case, I got towed to dealer because they got me in quicker but after I shopped around, I would saved money - which if u r going htru insurance doesn't matter.
shop is very well reputable and they worked on TLs many times before (friend of mine who has a 2G and another friend that has 3G TL have take nit there before). i'd rather save money on the amount paid to get it fixed even if insurance is paying for it.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Pro

LISTEN I JUST WENT THROUGH THISONLY MINE REALLY WAS ICE. IT WAS A 4-5 MPH ACCIDENT THAT CAUSED 4-5 THOUSAND WORTH OF DAMAGE. I DID NOT CALL THE COPS. I TOLD THE INSURANCE COMPANY THE TRUTH. THEY SAID SINCE NO ONE ELSE WAS INVOLVED AND SINCE I AM NOT CLAIMING ANY INJURIES THAT MY RATE WOULD NOT GO UP. I WOULD CALL THE CLOSEST ACURA DEALERSHIP AND ASK THEM WHO THEY WOULD RECOMMEND TO FIX YOUR CAR. HAVE YOUR CAR TOWED TO THE SHOP THEY RECOMMEND AND TELL THE ADJUSTER ASSIGNED TO YOUR CASE WHERE IT IS. THEY WILL TAKE CARE OF EVERYTHING ELSE. IF YOU ARE NICE TO THE REPAIR SHOP THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE HE CAN ALMOST MAKE YOUR DEDUCTIBLE A WASH. I ENDED UP GETTING A LITTLE MONEY BACK. point is be honest and nice and this will all be over before you know it. you might even have enough left over to get an intake..
Old 02-12-2007, 02:34 PM
Racer

Hey Hardtimes,

I would keep the discussion about the reduction of deductible or money back from the bodyshop to yourself. That is called insurance fraud since the bodyshop will overcharge/overestimate for a part/labor to make up the difference and bill your insurance for it. You and the body shop can be charged.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by davenlei
Hey Hardtimes,

I would keep the discussion about the reduction of deductible or money back from the bodyshop to yourself. That is called insurance fraud since the bodyshop will overcharge/overestimate for a part/labor to make up the difference and bill your insurance for it. You and the body shop can be charged.
thanks for the advice... sorry didn't try to imply cheating the insurance company. they had already cut the shop a check when i decided i didn't need a couple of things. like a new factory intake system. got a caiinstead. didn't need pinstripe put back on the car. like all black better. my insurance company was great no need to lie.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FriscoNick
Good advice, no cops.
I also say. No Cops! No need to in your case. Single car accident is a open shut case for the insurance company.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:49 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by subinf
Why would you call the police when it was a single car accident? That is a horrible idea.
You still have to notify the police especially since he left the car there. He it something therefore caused some sort of property damage.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:58 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

Originally Posted by Hardtimes
LISTEN I JUST WENT THROUGH THISONLY MINE REALLY WAS ICE. IT WAS A 4-5 MPH ACCIDENT THAT CAUSED 4-5 THOUSAND WORTH OF DAMAGE.
This is like what happened to me. I slid on ice and it cause a whole lot of invisible damage
Old 02-12-2007, 04:59 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

I didnt report mine, I just hit curb and nothing else. No parked vehicles or anyone's property.

I believe if it's serious enough, tow truck driver would tell u to report.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Instructor

I have done no property damage and therefore there was no need to call the cops. I work for insurance company myself and I got some really good advice from my co-workers. One reason why I was so hesitating to calling insurance company and just doing the repairs myself is I am auto insurance underwriter at my company and I am the one that adds all the AFA (at fault accidents)/minor/major speeding violations and I see how much premiums can increase due to such incidents.

anyways, tow truck took my car to the body shop today and they will give me a call tomorrow to give me an estimate and I will go from there. I greatly appreciate everyone's input in this thread!!!

I love you guys (even when you flame me, I know that I deserve it)
Old 02-12-2007, 06:56 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what insurance company you work for?
Old 02-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Pro

Ninor Got Your Pm. Sent You A Response. Just Read Your Post On The What You Do For A Living Thread. Says You Still Live With Your Folks. Did They Freak Out When You Told Them About The Car? I Remember When I Backed Into My Dads Boat (on The Trailer Infront Yard) I Was Only Fifteen And Thought He Was Going To Kill Me
Old 02-12-2007, 07:17 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have done no property damage and therefore there was no need to call the cops. I work for insurance company myself and I got some really good advice from my co-workers. One reason why I was so hesitating to calling insurance company and just doing the repairs myself is I am auto insurance underwriter at my company and I am the one that adds all the AFA (at fault accidents)/minor/major speeding violations and I see how much premiums can increase due to such incidents.

anyways, tow truck took my car to the body shop today and they will give me a call tomorrow to give me an estimate and I will go from there. I greatly appreciate everyone's input in this thread!!!

I love you guys (even when you flame me, I know that I deserve it)

To bad they don't give you free insurance, eh?
Old 02-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by darksom1
But yeah, you shouldn't be driving this car if you can't handle the responsibility of taking care of it!
Ok....... DAD!

I agree with some of the posts about it not looking bad until the bodyshop starts to peel it away.

Actuary, how did you find out how much your premium was going to increase by? Was your insurance company able to tell you?

Quick Reply: lost control and hit a tree