Sponsored by:

Looking for a worthy replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 07:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
Looking for a worthy replacement

hello Acurazine,

I have 06 TL 6MT with Navi and lately had gotten an itch for a new car. I have been looking in $25-40k price range and unless I am blind, I can't find a single car that would be a worthy replacement and feel like an upgrade?

Over the last 8 years, I have grown to like several features that are present on my car and would like to have them all on my new car; they are:
- has to be manual - 5 speed acceptable, would prefer 6 speed
- must have HID headlamps or better
- must have an automatic climate A/C (do not care for dual or triple zone)
- at least interior mirror that auto dims (I do not like window tint)
- 4 or 6 cylinder - would like 250hp or about, but could compromise a bit here
- 4 door today but in a year or so, 2 door would be fine, as I won't have to deal with a child car seat anymore
- NAVI option would be nice
- Leather and heated seats

The only cars that are close to meet my requirement list are:
- Audi A4 (2014 model for an additional HP bump) - comes right at $40k and offers questionable german quality and durability - might be a huge money pit when trying to keep it for 8+ years

- Honda Accord v6 coupe (hate the fact that HIDs or LEDs are not available on US model but they are on Canadian model - wtf honda) - would need to figure out how to get the LEDs from CA model on US model

- Mazda 3 Grand Touring - less power then the two above cars, 6MT not available yet on the top trim

- Acura ILX - the least attractive out of them, has the least content (NAVI not even an option), with a car like Mazda 3, ILX has nothing going on for itself

Am I really out of luck in here? I know that another viable option could be a year old TL SH-AWD 6MT which I should be able to snag for under $40k if I find one, but then the replacement is around the corner (TLX)
So, am I the only one here trying to find a decent replacement for our aging TL and has a hard time finding anything while keeping the budget under the control?

Thanks for any suggestions
Old 11-23-2013, 07:42 AM
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
hids and less are definitely available for the accord I've seen a few of them wit em
Old 11-23-2013, 08:09 AM
Sky is the limit

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What do you think about the 2014 lexus IS 350 or 250 w/ the F package.. just right at 40K

http://www.yourlexusdealer.com/yourl...delSubGroup=IS
The following users liked this post:
Doh21061 (11-25-2013)
Old 11-23-2013, 08:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Morci's Type-S
What do you think about the 2014 lexus IS 350 or 250 w/ the F package.. just right at 40K

http://www.yourlexusdealer.com/yourl...delSubGroup=IS
Wish a manual was an option, but it is all auto
Old 11-23-2013, 08:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gil'sUA5
hids and less are definitely available for the accord I've seen a few of them wit em
checking US honda site. Not a single Accord comes with HIDs. Accord touring model has LED's, but manual is not an option.

Accord Coupe has 6 speed option, but they do not get HID's or LED's headlamps - only halogen projectors unfortunatelly.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:24 AM
Sky is the limit

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mlody
Wish a manual was an option, but it is all auto
yeah your right ,, i missed that one
Old 11-23-2013, 08:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
I absolutely LOVE the 2014 Lexus IS350 F Sport. Such an amazing looking car. In a way it kind of reminds me of a modern "TL Type S". As mentioned though they are not available in manual.
Even though the body style is questionable, what about a 2012+ Acura TL SH-AWD in 6mt? I know not a lot of people like the 4G design, but the 2012+ was significantly improved over the 09-11's with that god awful front end. It has all the features you mentioned and waaayyyy more, and is available in manual and easily fits in your price range. The only thing that really disappoints me with how Honda/Acura packages their options is why in the heck can you not get the advance package with a 6spd manual? WTF, they think people that want to drive manual dont want ventilated seats, or larger better looking wheels and stuff? F'ing weird.
Otherwise, if you want to stay well into your price range, would a 6mt Type S be too similar to your outgoing car? Yes I know its still a 3G TL, but I think the 07/08 offered a nice change to the older 04-06's, and on top of that being the Type S, I dunno maybe its something you would like. If not, try and find a 2012 4G 6mt and you may love it!

Last edited by JTS97Z28; 11-23-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:50 AM
Drifting

Received 663 Likes on 539 Posts
Yea, I agree with James on both accounts actually. I think the new IS looks fantastic, both in pictures and in person. The 4G TL has grown on me a lot (even test drove one), and I even like the 09-11 with OEM lip kit much better than the rounded '12+ model, especially with the weird bodyarmor rear lip kit.

Unfortunately, I'm aware that they are both slightly controversial - a lot of people have never liked the 4G (until they drive it at least) and the new IS (and all the new Lexus models I guess) gets a lot of hate for the predator-like grill.

Good luck OP! I think you are describing the reason so many of us like our 3Gs...fantastic combination of looks, features, sportiness, and reliability. Very difficult to replace for under $40k.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ TL-S
Yea, I agree with James on both accounts actually. I think the new IS looks fantastic, both in pictures and in person. The 4G TL has grown on me a lot (even test drove one), and I even like the 09-11 with OEM lip kit much better than the rounded '12+ model, especially with the weird bodyarmor rear lip kit.

Unfortunately, I'm aware that they are both slightly controversial - a lot of people have never liked the 4G (until they drive it at least) and the new IS (and all the new Lexus models I guess) gets a lot of hate for the predator-like grill.

Good luck OP! I think you are describing the reason so many of us like our 3Gs...fantastic combination of looks, features, sportiness, and reliability. Very difficult to replace for under $40k.
The 4G is really not as ugly as people make it out to be, I do however agree the 3g just looks better. The IS is a good alternative, I totally agree.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
As a previous owner of a VW Passat which in reality is in between an a4 and an a6 and aquatinted with a lot of VW and Audi owners the tings you hear about them are fr exaggerated ... BMW is more of a reliability / cost to repair issue. A lot of the Audi / VW electrical issues were owner created through lack of maintenance and common sense. When I went from my 2003 Passat to my current 2006 TL I was thinking was taking a step up .. but I fact once the novelty wore off I realized the TL wasn't even close in quality. The fit & finish of the VW/Audi was far superior. The interior far superior especially the leather and some of the standard things were missed .. like 5 positions for the seat heating. Rain sensing wipers, button to shut off the steering wheel lights, electric folding mirrors .. and the list goes on . My next car will be an S4 .
Old 11-23-2013, 12:09 PM
Drifting

Received 852 Likes on 605 Posts
I hear your pain op. There's not a lot with the same features that is within a reasonable price range. I faced the same problem. Ended up staying with the TL. Saved money that way too

The 2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0 Turbo comes with a 6 speed as an option. It puts out 272hp and starts at $36k. That's might be a viable option. Good looking car.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:50 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
How about modding (to a degree) what you have and just keep driving it- this way, you're just paying for the mods and saving substantial money over getting into a new car (plus, you don't have to find a car with all of your requirements). This is true as long as your TL isn't completely 'worn out' and the idea of modding appeals to you (sometimes you just want a new car, and I do understand that).

Look at the guy with the 3 million mile Volvo P1800, he never got tired of the car (drives it to this day).

The 4G TL has grown on me (the 2012+ models) but in truth, for me, they have no clear advantage over what I already have- yes they are faster, probably handle better, and may be more comfortable, but for the 5% of the time I need or want a better, faster car, it's not worth the cost of replacing what I already have.
Aman (11-25-2013)
Old 11-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Get an Accord, buy the headlights from a Canadian source or get the LED headlights from a Honda parts source. Many others have done just that.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:00 PM
Drifting

Received 663 Likes on 539 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
As a previous owner of a VW Passat which in reality is in between an a4 and an a6 and aquatinted with a lot of VW and Audi owners the tings you hear about them are fr exaggerated ... BMW is more of a reliability / cost to repair issue. A lot of the Audi / VW electrical issues were owner created through lack of maintenance and common sense. When I went from my 2003 Passat to my current 2006 TL I was thinking was taking a step up .. but I fact once the novelty wore off I realized the TL wasn't even close in quality. The fit & finish of the VW/Audi was far superior. The interior far superior especially the leather and some of the standard things were missed .. like 5 positions for the seat heating. Rain sensing wipers, button to shut off the steering wheel lights, electric folding mirrors .. and the list goes on . My next car will be an S4 .
Definitely need to agree that a Audi interiors are absolutely top notch. 3G doesn't compare in that area.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it have to be brand new? If not, I'd seriously look into an Audi. They're doing great work and have drivetrains that are killer. 8+ years of ownership…yea you may run into some things, but I can't imagine much more than you'd see from the TL. Find a good independent euro mechanic that'll save you money from service at the stealership.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:29 PM
Burning Brakes

I appreciate all the responses. I am definitely not in a rush to get a new car - even though my car is 2006, it only has about 75k miles and lately I do not drive that much, so I won't be adding that many miles over the next few years anyway.
The thing that sparked my interest in cars was due to the fact that my brother is looking for a car (totally different requirement set then me) and I started looking myself to see if there is anything if I would like - not a lot as we all agree.
I am not big on modding - exception being interior LED lighting, so if I were to put money into mods, I would rather save that and perhaps widen up my top end budget.

4G TL (especially mid refresh) is a very viable option for me - I had already driven one (pre mid refresh - i believe 2010) that was 6MT and I liked the car, but that was a while ago and at that time I definitely wasn't in the market for a new(er) car.

As far as Audi, I really like the exteriors and interiors aren't too shabby either (S5 being the top contender - if going used) however there is something about being a loyal honda fan - all my cars so far were either Honda's or Acura's so options like Audi, Mazda , Caddy are a bit out of my safety zone.

After thinking for a while, it is really amazing how great value is the 3rd gen TL. Who would have thought that this is a car that will be still hard to beat for the next several years. (assuming someone is looking for manual gearbox car).
Old 11-23-2013, 02:53 PM
Safety Car

I'm definately not a fan of VW as I think the styling is the most bland on the market inside and out. I have never owned one, but the people I know that have say reliability is crap. Again, it's just what I have heard, no first hand experience. I like audi's, but again the reliability thing comes back into play with them as well. If I were to get an Audi it would hands down be a 2011+ S4 prestige!! Awesome car!

As I said in my first reply though, a 12+ TL 6mt tech package (advanced not available), would be a pretty sweet car. And from the sounds of it you already said you enjoyed driving it. Lots of cool stuff out there these days, but since you want manual that really cuts your options down.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:01 PM
Chapter Leader (Midwest Region)

Received 784 Likes on 558 Posts
Used BMW 335i in sedan or coupe

Twin turbo FTW!
Old 11-25-2013, 03:08 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Used CTS or CTS-V?
Old 11-25-2013, 04:46 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
you're letting HIDs be the only thing stopping you from the accord? $40 gets you an HID kit if you want a simple swap, or $500 ish you can get a full retrofit that can outshine most cars. The 4g TL projectors are a direct swap into the 2013+ accord from what retrofitsource said.

Just saying, if you want the accord, don't let the lack of standard HIDs stop you.
All your other reasons like not attractive or too little power and german reliability are valid reasons, but lack of HIDs shouldnt be a valid reason...

Last edited by paperboy42190; 11-25-2013 at 04:49 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 241 Posts
s2k with tomtom.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:53 AM
Safety Car

I'm confused about the Accord and HID's. I thought the high end one actually gets LED headlights? I guess if your looking for more of a base model they will be halogen projectors, but I'm sure a plug and play kit would work fine especially since it's a projector. Just don't get some stupid 9billionK colored bulb. Stock 4300k or 6000k at most is best.
xdmds (11-26-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 08:01 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Shoot I'd get a slightly used 2012 or 2013 SH-AWD tl manual in black with umber interior, slap the aero kit on and black out the grill and use pocket the extra cash. That's 300 horses, a manual, the absolutely rock solid Acura reliability. And while looks may be subjective stock, I have yet to run into anyone who's seen a tastefully modded 4G and not find it drop dead gorgeous. If not that the IS350 have been sweet recommendations as well. Or what about a used IS-F?
Old 11-25-2013, 09:46 AM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Used Audi S4/S5 or BMW m3 or 335i.

Those cars cost too much new.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:47 AM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
I'm confused about the Accord and HID's. I thought the high end one actually gets LED headlights? I guess if your looking for more of a base model they will be halogen projectors, but I'm sure a plug and play kit would work fine especially since it's a projector. Just don't get some stupid 9billionK colored bulb. Stock 4300k or 6000k at most is best.
He wants his car to be a manual and Honda doesn't make the accord with hid or leds for a v6 manual
Old 11-25-2013, 10:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3,595 Likes on 1,721 Posts
G37/Q50
A4/A5/A6
C350/CLA
IS350
V6 Accord
CTV
Taurus SHO

Last edited by Joneill44; 11-25-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:50 PM
Drifting

Received 598 Likes on 446 Posts
Over the last 8 years, I have grown to like several features that are present on my car and would like to have them all on my new car; they are:
- 4 door today but in a year or so, 2 door would be fine, as I won't have to deal with a child car seat anymore
I have almost the exact requirements list you have. I am not stuck on HIDs completely, but will accept Halogen projectors. I am not sold on LED headlights yet either. Just not enough information regarding long-term reliability and the cost/ease of replacing them as they age out or fail.
- Mazda 3 Grand Touring - less power then the two above cars, 6MT not available yet on the top trim

- Acura ILX - the least attractive out of them, has the least content (NAVI not even an option), with a car like Mazda 3, ILX has nothing going on for itself
Mazda3 is nice especially for the money, but doubtful I will ever feel "grown-up" driving it. If I wanted an affordable commuter car maybe, but not my primary car. The ILX is underpowered and just doesn't have that much going for it.
Originally Posted by losiglow
The 2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0 Turbo comes with a 6 speed as an option. It puts out 272hp and starts at $36k.
I was going to say you are missing the ATS, CTS, Regal and Verano from your list. These of course are more difficult to accept by anyone who does not have a history of domestic brand ownership. When I do finally start shopping, I will at least be taking a look to see how they have held up over the past couple years. It is nice to finally see the domestics able to have something somewhat comparable...although it will always be personal preference to the buyer on what features and brands they prefer. Through my cars and my family member's cars, I have compared Toyota, Honda, Acura, Lexus, BMW, Chevrolet, and Buick in the past few years. The biggest perk of the premium brands is going to be how you are treated at the dealership. Most brands have greatly improved their dealers and service departments now, but you still do get the royal treatment at the Acura vs Honda dealers. I actually feel almost uncomfortable at the Acura dealer now...they are too fancy and I just do not understand why they have to be that stupidly posh other than to crank up the hourly rates in the service dept. I really like the feel at my local Honda and Toyota dealers. Nicer than the Chevy dealers for sure, but not just rub it in your face stupidly fancy that it is just wasting money nice like the BMW, Acura, and Lexus dealers.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Camero LZ1
Old 11-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
It's a halogen projector, so putting HIDs in those housings would be the same as putting HIDs in halogen reflector housings. To be done properly, he'd have to get HID projectors.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If it has to be manual, a Subaru WRX (5 spd/ STI for 6 spd) is an easy choice. The limited trim should have everything you listed.

A BMW M3/5 would be another solid option if you don't mind buying it a few years old to get in that price range. Maintenance will be significantly higher, but so will performance.

If it can be an auto, then an IS 350 is the easy choice.

Last edited by jblessing; 11-25-2013 at 03:16 PM. Reason: forgot the IS!
Old 11-25-2013, 03:53 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Aman
It's a halogen projector, so putting HIDs in those housings would be the same as putting HIDs in halogen reflector housings. To be done properly, he'd have to get HID projectors.
Well I understand that, but it's still better than putting a HID setup in a halogen reflector housing.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I would highly recommend a BMW 335i. Its a blast to drive and fantastic quality. They are Twin turbo and come with 6spd and navi option. I have NEVER driven a more smooth driving/handling car. It is super quiet even with the mid range Continental tires on it. BMW drive trains are rock solid and even though I love what audi has done with their new styling, I just can't get over the famous superior luxury/performance ride the BMW offers.

Other than that I saw you posted about the Mazda 3. They actually do offer the car in a 6 spd on the MAZDASPEED3 package. It makes 263 hp and when I test drove it I did enjoy the peppy feel. Going from a TL to a Mazda will not impress you though. I don't think you will be happy with anything less than a true luxury brand after being spoiled by the optioned out TL's we all have come to love. Check out the BMW. There's no harm in trying it and you wont regret it.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:20 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Well I understand that, but it's still better than putting a HID setup in a halogen reflector housing.
It's the same thing.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:49 PM
Safety Car

It's the same thing.
Well it is, but it isn't. I'm just saying that a halogen projector will handle an HID bulb better than a halogen reflector housing which scatters light all over the place. Atleast the projector has a cutoff to somewhat limit how much light gets thrown into people's eyes.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:20 PM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
hello Acurazine,

I have 06 TL 6MT with Navi and lately had gotten an itch for a new car. I have been looking in $25-40k price range and unless I am blind, I can't find a single car that would be a worthy replacement and feel like an upgrade?

The only cars that are close to meet my requirement list are:
- Audi A4 (2014 model for an additional HP bump) - comes right at $40k and offers questionable german quality and durability - might be a huge money pit when trying to keep it for 8+ years

- Honda Accord v6 coupe (hate the fact that HIDs or LEDs are not available on US model but they are on Canadian model - wtf honda) - would need to figure out how to get the LEDs from CA model on US model

Am I really out of luck in here? I know that another viable option could be a year old TL SH-AWD 6MT which I should be able to snag for under $40k if I find one, but then the replacement is around the corner (TLX)
So, am I the only one here trying to find a decent replacement for our aging TL and has a hard time finding anything while keeping the budget under the control?

Thanks for any suggestions
I don't understand why you are even thinking about getting a new car. You want a car with the exact specs of your current car but you want to spend 25-40k on something just because it is newer? Either you have a really nice job with boucoup money to blow or you're thinking irrationally.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:24 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by pierceman90
I would highly recommend a BMW 335i. Its a blast to drive and fantastic quality. They are Twin turbo and come with 6spd and navi option. I have NEVER driven a more smooth driving/handling car. It is super quiet even with the mid range Continental tires on it. BMW drive trains are rock solid and even though I love what audi has done with their new styling, I just can't get over the famous superior luxury/performance ride the BMW offers.

Other than that I saw you posted about the Mazda 3. They actually do offer the car in a 6 spd on the MAZDASPEED3 package. It makes 263 hp and when I test drove it I did enjoy the peppy feel. Going from a TL to a Mazda will not impress you though. I don't think you will be happy with anything less than a true luxury brand after being spoiled by the optioned out TL's we all have come to love. Check out the BMW. There's no harm in trying it and you wont regret it.
It appears that a 335 optioned out like a TL/Nav would not make the 40k budget unless you get a great deal on a 2013 close out? I see that invoice is near 40k and then you need to add the Techology Package to get the nav and the invoice is $2820. The Premium Sound package then adds another $865 to get satellite radio. I'm not sure if you even get leather for the base price so you might need to pop for an additional interior package as well (Luxury, Modern, or Premium)
Old 11-25-2013, 11:57 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
Originally Posted by pierceman90
BMW drive trains are rock solid
i'd disagree with you there. Used 335is are in used 07-08 TL-S range and though they are significantly higher performing on paper, they just dont last. Reading the bimmer forums it seems the consensus is not to buy a 335i without a warranty.

Saw some on the trader which made me curious. Did a little more research and they're at least imo more trouble than they're worth. The e90 M3 is more reliable (but even that's showing some strange bearing issues that the M5 did). It's just too early to tell right now.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...Best-335i-year
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514946

i would go with a 4G 6MT SH-AWD TL. It's seriously a unique car in its class. It's probably also relatively cheap to drive as far as a luxury car goes.

Last edited by ez12a; 11-26-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:01 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
I haven't read all the replies so this may be a repeated suggestion but a used RL would seem to fit your needs well. Unless it's a bit too big for you.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:05 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
It's the same thing.
it's not, trust me. HIDs in reflectors create tons of glare. HIDs in halogen projectors is better, but still has a little glare. I work on headlights and lighting pretty much every day so I've seen all kinds of headlights and lighting stuff

Well it is, but it isn't. I'm just saying that a halogen projector will handle an HID bulb better than a halogen reflector housing which scatters light all over the place. Atleast the projector has a cutoff to somewhat limit how much light gets thrown into people's eyes.
^+1
Old 11-26-2013, 04:05 AM
Level: Noob

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Didn't read every post to see if anyone mentioned it, but what about the ATS w/ a 2.0T and manual?

Quick Reply: Looking for a worthy replacement