Sponsored by:

looking to sell my BMW to get a TL

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 12:45 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking to sell my BMW to get a TL

How is this the Acura TL
I love my 2002 BMW 330ci but I need lighten up my car payment and the TL looks awesome. I just want to know if everyone is happy with them
I am looking to get a TL with automatic and navigation with just about all the options like xenon headlights, rear park control the full body kit

my question is how is the take off power
and braking power
and should I be aware of anything or options when i go to buy one.
and what should I be looking to pay with the following
Old 05-26-2004, 01:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO the only thing you'll miss is a tighter sense of driver to road.

Power is good. Braking is pretty good. The stock tires are filth, but you can negotiate to have them changed.

Overall the TL is vastly superior to the 330 and much cheaper, and I say that fully intending to bait the trolls. In between their asinine rants you'll hopefully get a few other reasonable opinions. I say go for the TL.
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
first, the only option available in the TL is NAV. Xenon lights, leather, heated seats, premium sound, CD changer, moonroof, alarm, etc all come standard!!

take it from me..i have owned 6 Bimmers in the last 3 years...and a 2002 330ci Topaz Blue/Black Leather w/ Sport Pkg, Prem Pkg, 5 spd manual, alarm, alum trim, heated seats, xenon, etc..so i know where u r coming from. rear park control is a dealer installed accessory, as is the A-spec body kit. i would suggest not buying from the dealer, and buying from a much cheaper online source and install yourself!

take off power is good, not quite as linear as the 330ci..but faster and more powerful for sure! you will miss rear wheel drive, so get used to it now! brakes are phenominal with the 6spd manual as it comes with front Brembo brakes.

im guessing its gonna cost u alot to get out of your 330ci with it only being a 2002, unless you put ALOT down. i took a 10K hit when i traded mine after 3 months for a 02 745i. im guessing you prolly still have alot of negative equity in your 330. Adding the negative equity from your 330ci to your TL could make your payment relatively close to what u r paying for the 330ci now!!! if u do transfer negative equity to a new TL, make sure you spend about 500 bucks and get GAP protection on your new loan. i have a 6spd manual with NAVI and im very happy with it..would be thrilled with it if it were AWD or RWD...i am in the middle now, and not sure what i wanted to buy. my 745i was stolen...and i didnt want a new one since they will be getting a refresh soon, im still not sure if i like the 545i..i definitely dont like the interior, i have already had 4 E46 3 series, and im not paying 10K over for a 645ci or cic. so, i decided to buy the TL and wait things out, either to see what the new S-class brings, or a refreshed 7er...or maybe even a change to the range rover...we shall see. good luck...the TL is a great car..much higher quality and reliability than that of my 6 Bimmers I have had...the 745 was in the shop more than I drove it I think!
On the way!

That's the beauty of Acura - there aren't really too many options.

A. Do you want 6 speed or auto?
B. Do you want navigation or not?
C. Do you want the summer tire performance package?

oh

And - what color do you want?

Other than that, Xenon lights, stereo, leather, etc. is all standard.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:05 PM
9th Gear

get the TL

my girlfriend has the same Bm'r you do and keeps having problems with it, little things here and there but for a 2 year old car it sure has a lot of problems. I just bought a 04 TL 2 weeks ago and my last 4 cars have been Acura's with no problems whatsoever!! I guess I've had good luck with them and will keep coming back, I looked at a M3 but for the features and options of the 04 TL YOU CAN NOT BEAT THE VALUE for your money. I got mine for around 33K with the navi, black with tan and I would highly suggest you get the 18" A-spec wheels and the Yokohama AVS tires...that look makes the whole car to me it look better than a BMW3'series and with those wheels it looks more like a M5 for considerably more + you get DVD Audio 5.1 surround, voice activated navi, ...etc....I did not get the complete A-spec package but worked the deal to include the wheels and tires that come with the A-spec package. The car has excellent take off and 270hp is way more than enough power for this car, it is light, braking is precise. Overall I love it so far...
Old 05-26-2004, 01:27 PM
Pro

just go to the dealer..and test drive both MT and AT....
Old 05-26-2004, 01:50 PM
SOLD

I don't know what changes BMW made for 04, but I test drove a 03 330i before test driving a TL, thoughts:

1. As far as your money situation, TL is one of the best if not THE best "Get what you pay for" cars on the market right now

2. Acura has been one if the industry leaders in reliability for many years now. Although I can honestly say there are a few squeaks and rattles in my car, I am a perfectionist and Acura took car of these gladly. Better a few little problems than electrical and computer issues (I had a benz previously, so I understand).

3. I actually prefer RWD as far as being an enthusiast goes, and the 3 series will out handle the TL but...the TL is more powerful overall, just as smooth but quieter riding, more back seat room and slightly wider, better interior design with more comfortable seats, HFL, 5.1 ELS stereo, in dash changer. Plus if you get the A-Spec as it sounds like you may, handling will be very close to 3 series. Not as much the body kit, but the springs and upgraded brakes (if you go with AT). Vegas is right, BMW acceleration is more linear but TL at high RPM's rocks most 4 door sedans. This is probably one of the best combinations of gas mileage AND power I have seen.

4. TEST DRIVE = true. coming from a luxury car myself, I wanted an automatic to have smoothness and driveablity which the TL gives. On the other hand, the SS mode performs good enough for me and 90% of other drivers to bypass the MT, but it's your decision. Great car, good luck.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:03 PM
Racer

Except for the full underbody kit that he mentions. That is an add on.

I don't recall the exact breakdown now, but I got the full underbody kit, BSMs, deck lid spoiler and moonroof visor for a grand cost of about $2000 installed (which was a reasonable discount from the total MSRP)

Originally Posted by fla-tls
That's the beauty of Acura - there aren't really too many options.

A. Do you want 6 speed or auto?
B. Do you want navigation or not?
C. Do you want the summer tire performance package?

oh

And - what color do you want?

Other than that, Xenon lights, stereo, leather, etc. is all standard.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:56 PM
Instructor

i thought i could add to this thread, but those before me have said it best, the most expensive german car i could afford before i got my tl was a vr6 jetta, what a pos!!! ohh maybe i can add to this check out some pix at
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/550993
jjay slvsixspd nav 18"rims spoiler 15%tint ect ect
Old 05-26-2004, 07:03 PM
Instructor

I came out of a 2002 325, preceded by a 1997 528 into my TL-NAVI. TL Gator hit it right on the nose IMO.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TLGator
Overall the TL is vastly superior to the 330 and much cheaper, and I say that fully intending to bait the trolls. In between their asinine rants you'll hopefully get a few other reasonable opinions. I say go for the TL.
Have you ever noticed that there are no posts like this on the BMW forums denigrating other marques? If -you're- happy, that should be all that matters. I went from two Acura's to a 325cic and V70R and I'm happy. That doesn't mean your or my relative happiness means squat to the next person making a major purchase they have to live with for a number of years. While TL sales are definitely up, so are sales of competitors. In fact, in the price segment, the next biggest gainer was the ES330. Not everyone is looking for the same thing which is why there are so many flavors of $30-40K cars. The TL can be good without every one of its competitors needing to be made out to be bad in the process.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:45 PM
Pembroke Pines, FL

Originally Posted by salerno12
How is this the Acura TL
I love my 2002 BMW 330ci but I need lighten up my car payment and the TL looks awesome. I just want to know if everyone is happy with them
I am looking to get a TL with automatic and navigation with just about all the options like xenon headlights, rear park control the full body kit

and braking power
Personally, I think you would be very happy with the TL, but I'm not sure you'll save that much money. The MSRP is about 35K with Navi. A 330ci costs about 40K with Navi and leather. I test drove the 3 series and I preferred the TL. But, the superior interior and additional toys (i.e., XM, Handsfree, etc.) weighted my decision toward the TL. The quickness didn't hurt either (0-60 approx. 5.9 seconds). I decided that FWD wouldn't make much of a difference considering the way I usually drive. There's one thing that everyone can agree on: The TL is probably the best value on the road in a near luxury sports sedan. I'm not going to bash BMW, they make some great cars. The TL is larger, faster, and has a much nicer interior. Oh, what the heck. Buy the TL, you'll love it.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:53 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

The interior on the TL is a LOT larger. Inside it's the size of the 5-series. Leather quality is not quite as good as the Benz/Beemers but it's not terrible either. I compare this car (in "goodies") to my 1997 740iL, similar hands freephone, similar stereo, similar road feel (a little floaty), etc. For 1/2 the price. Of course it's not as large as the 740iL but it's got nearly the same HP (295 vs. 270). TL is a good choice. I also was looking at the new 7-series (friend of mine is the regional BMW rep) as well as the big benz S-class (WAY too many little problems with those).
Old 05-26-2004, 10:47 PM
Racer

Having both cars, The 330 is more fun to play johnny racer with. The steering and handling reaction perfection is better. The engine feel and driver involvement is better. But the 6MT TL is smoother, quieter, roomier, faster, great seats, great stereo and handles second only to the 330 sp. I vote for the 6sp for the performance issues, but get ready for torque steer, no more punching it coming out of turns, you clear the turn first. Hard cornering with drifting is also weird, power on untersteer and power off oversteer but the flat, four wheel drifting limit is very high and as easy to control as the 330.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:57 PM
Bobz

I would have purchased a 330 if it was the same price as a TL, but of course you can't. Plus the 330 is a smaller car. I agree, the real size comparison is with the 5 series. For the first time in memory there have been some real negative articles on BMW and Mercedes, especially Mercedes. The quality has slipped badly in both companies. That's the main reason I went with the TL. I hated giving up RWD, but I am getting used to the torque steering. I still have my 540i but it is now my wife's car. I would keep the 330 for a few more years and then go with a TL or RL. You're taking too much of a financial hit right now. The TL isn't that much of a value and your are giving up the vaunted BMW driving experience which is still the number one reason they sell so well even at a huge price premium.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:31 PM
ZHP 4CE

How is this the Acura TL

and braking power
Well, you said that your payments on your 330ci are pretty hefty, so I assume that you don't have much equity in the car. Like others have mentioned, this means that you'll take a real financial hit in selling your bimmer after only 2 years, when it does most of its depreciating. Depending on how much equity you have in your current car, the possible negative equity would pass on to the TL, largely nullifying any possible decrease in monthly payments (especially since you want the a-spec body kit).

As far as the cars themselves, you said yourself that you love the car. Without getting into a comparison between the two cars (no, I won't be baited), it seems to me that you have two reasons to stick with your current car (1. financial; 2. you're perfectly happy with the bimmer).
Old 05-27-2004, 05:36 AM
Auto-Erotic

For what it's worth, I have put a down payment on a Black/Black 6-NAV TL (waiting for the dealer to take delivery of it). I am trading in my 330xi for the Acura. I know I'll be banned for life from the "ultimate driving machine club"...

The 330xi was a great car. I made the trade largely cuz I'm quite promiscuous with cars (can't seem to ever make a committment very long!). After comparing the two cars, I do believe the BMW does handle just a bit better, and I like the feel of its steering better than the TL. Other than these things (which I believe the BMW is only incrementally better than the Acura), the TL runs laps around the 330 in terms of ride comfort, quality/appearance of interior, stereo, Navigation, general gadgetry and, likely, reliability.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:01 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RGHessel
For what it's worth, I have put a down payment on a Black/Black 6-NAV TL (waiting for the dealer to take delivery of it). I am trading in my 330xi for the Acura. I know I'll be banned for life from the "ultimate driving machine club"...

The 330xi was a great car. I made the trade largely cuz I'm quite promiscuous with cars (can't seem to ever make a committment very long!). After comparing the two cars, I do believe the BMW does handle just a bit better, and I like the feel of its steering better than the TL. Other than these things (which I believe the BMW is only incrementally better than the Acura), the TL runs laps around the 330 in terms of ride comfort, quality/appearance of interior, stereo, Navigation, general gadgetry and, likely, reliability.

I was thinking about going with a 330xi but still haven't made up my mind. One thing that bothers me is all the rattles that people are reporting in the TL. How many rattles and squeaks did you have in your 330xi???
Old 05-27-2004, 07:42 AM
Racer

I picked up my TL, last Thursday (vin #48###) and the car is perfectly solid with
no squeaks and rattles. I'm not sure if Acura has 'tightened' things up a bit over
time, or my car has yet to develop these irritating noises.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:37 AM
Auto-Erotic

The 330xi was essentially squeek/rattle free (and god, I sure hope my TL is, cuz that stuff bugs the sh** of of me.

One thing to keep in mind if you are looking at a 330xi -- it is due for a complete re-do for 2006 (to be out sometime in the fall of 2005).
Old 05-27-2004, 02:00 PM
Cruisin'

let me just add in that a friend of mine has a 300ci with sport seats.. they are well bolstered and decently comfortable but the leather is so hard it feels like vinyl and thats a turnoff for me. I have an 03 tls and a good friend has an 04 and the leather is much nicer to feel and look at... im not talkin about quality im just talking about appearance and feel. The interior on the 04 TL has been gettin raves from everyone but i will also say that it really is beautiful and no car near this price range can compare IMO And I am not biased at all... to be honest i cant get used to the back end of the 04... hope i can help a little bit
Old 05-27-2004, 06:49 PM
Instructor

leather is an option in the bmws. it comes standard with leatherite. he may not have the real leather that is why it seems so hard.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:26 PM
ZHP 4CE

jackal2001, you may be right. The leather and leatherette can be difficult to tell apart, which is due in part to the fact that the leather in the regular 3 series isn't the best (doesn't feel as soft and supple as others). The leather in the M3 is nappa leather and feels much better. I liked the leather in the TL better than that of the 3 series, although neither seems to age very well.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:11 AM
2nd Gear

thanks everyone for the feedback
but i am still up in the air about what to do

my 330ci has everything and it cost me 45,ooo plus tax
my payment is $825 for 5 years I only have 3 left LOL
I owe 27,000 on it but i was told to ask 34,000 to sell it because of the low mileage and the show room condition and all the options i have.

I am looking to try to get the TL automatic with navi for about $575 a month
but i am thinking of a lease. I went to a dealership and they said $34,000 for the car with no money down it would be $680 to finance.

I decided against the A-spec cause 1) the car look awesome the way it is and 2) it adds another $5600
the only thing i am looking to ass now is the rear lip spoiler not the wing, rear parking sensors, and maybe side body molding.
and remote start that the dealer doesnt do on that car yet.

what do you guys think
Old 05-28-2004, 11:59 AM
SOLD

Your call

If your happy with your BMW and CAN afford it, stick with it and get a new car when that is paid off or what not. If your happy with it but CAN'T afford it, there is no way you would be able to trade in and add more negative equity to the cost of the TL. The TL is an awesome car for the money, but not when you have $10,000 (example) plus the cost of the new car to deal with. I would suggest if getting the TL to sell the BMW outright, the 3 series in still in good demand and you should be able to get what you need. If your car was 45,000 plus tax, I guarantee you after getting a $35,000 TL (which you can wiggle down, i got 1200 off MSRP for 5AT/NAVI) you will realize that 10,000 extra isn't worth the hood emblem. If you have even a low level of confidence and self esteem, you'll realize that you don't need a certain emblem on your car to have a great one. Think of your car as an athlete.....do you want one that is always healthy and in tip top shape (reliability and performance), or do you want one that is struggling to stay healthy and off the injured list (aka shop). You decide.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

thanks everyone for the feedback
but i am still up in the air about what to do
This is unacceptable. You asked for advice, and many of us took time out of our lives to give you advice. You now OWE it to us, not to mention yourself, to stop jacking around. Go buy the TL. Right now. Do it, dammit.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:01 PM
Intermediate

You must be a gen-x'er.

The car you own seems more important than what it is actually costing you.

Gee.... your your monthly payments will be lower, but after adding it all up you will still be spending more money.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:02 PM
9th Gear

Keep the 330. You have already taken the bloody nose on the first 2 years depreciation. If you get 6K together from the sale of your 330 and put it down on a new TL you'll take another depreciation hit and will have gone nowhere financially. If your ego can handle it, get a well kept 04 TL and trade used for used. That makes the most sense if keeping your payment down is your motivation. I like both cars but there is something about a BMW and you already have one. IMHO