Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy Acura TL 06 Need tips/ Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 06:02 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy Acura TL 06 Need tips/ Suggestions

This is gonna be pretty long so i would like to thank you for the time you took to read this and answer my questions.

Ok i am new to these boards so i will introduce my self. I am 20 and live in Atlanta GA. So finaly i convinecd my parents that i need a new car since my sister just got her licanse and i can pass the crappy ford taurus to her. They agreed to pay the insurance for me but i will have to pay the car note which is fine by me. Anyway I got couple questions for you expert buyers out there. I am looking to buy a brand new Acura TL 2006 and i was wondering would it be better to buy now or wait till December 29 or 30 to buy? I have time because i want to pay the lowest price i can since i am a college student. Also what other fees do i have to pay. Interest , tax are two obvious ones. I heard about destination fee document fee and all that crap. Do i have to pay for those or are they just another way for dealer to make money.

What is a good price for a standard TL without NAVI and what is a good price for TL/w NAVI? I requested quote from one dealer that was closest to me and he told me 34,009 For TL with Navigation and performance tires and 29, 299 for standerd TL. I have read some of the topics and people were paying 31 000 for TL w/ Navi so why is this dealer saying 34 000 . If hes asking too much for the TL with Navigation than hes probobly asking too much for the standard one.

Financing ??
Well my credit is pretty new so i have no idea what i will get for interest rate. I only have 7 month old credit card that i have been paying on time and almost payed it off. My dad said he will cossign for me and i also have a friend who said he will cossign for me. My dads credit score is like 680 and my friends credit score is 700+. However my dad makes more than my friend so who shold i get to cossign for me ??? What interest rate shold i expect to get ??? I read some of the topics and saw that the dealer tryed to make the interest rate higher than it shold have been so i need to know that he is not trying to pull the same on me. I am planing on putting 2000-3000 dollars down so i hope that helps. Next and last question is which TL shold i get navigation or no navigation???I am looking for my payment to be about 500/ month so i would like to know what TL shold i be looking at.

If you have any more tips/suggestions to post before i actually go to the dealers please post them. I need all the help i can get since i am new to this and my dad is not much better, he paid msrp price for his 2003 Toyota 4Runner in April so i dont think he knows what he is doing

Again Thanks for your time and suggestions.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:00 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Like most people I've encountered, a college car needs to do only one thing: be reliable. It doesn't need to be flashy, fast, and make the girls cream. It only needs to start when you want it to and be reliable.

Trust me, cars get abused in college. So the last thing I would do, if I were you, is spend my hard earned cash on a new car only to have it abused at college.

Buy a trustworthy Honda Civic with some miles on it and call it a day.

I know, I know - you don't want to hear all of this, but it will be the best decision you make today and you'll be thankful you made it a few years down the road.

Put your money towards helping your parents pay for your college tuition, room and board, and books/supplies. Put your money away into a savings account or invest it. Just don't spend it on a new car.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:22 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tripp11
Like most people I've encountered, a college car needs to do only one thing: be reliable. It doesn't need to be flashy, fast, and make the girls cream. It only needs to start when you want it to and be reliable.

Trust me, cars get abused in college. So the last thing I would do, if I were you, is spend my hard earned cash on a new car only to have it abused at college.

I know, I know - you don't want to hear all of this, but it will be the best decision you make today and you'll be thankful you made it a few years down the road.

Put your money towards helping your parents pay for your college tuition, room and board, and books/supplies. Put your money away into a savings account or invest it. Just don't spend it on a new car.
Well i was thinking about that and heres my problem with that. I have been working 3 years and have made 30 000 dollars. With NO bills i have 3 000 saved up. I am not a guy that can have money saved up. Its not like i have been payin for school i have actually received money for going to school from pall grant, HOPE scholorship in georgia pays for tuition and some books. If i dont buy this car i will buy a shitty car that will not be worth shit when i decide to sell it. If i am gonna pay for a car i want to pay for something i will love to drive not something that i dont/wont care about. I see this car as a investment because after 5 years the car will still be worth 10 000- 15000 dollars, much more than i could ever save up.
Even before my parants said i could buy this car i was thinking of buying big screen tv and play station 3 when it comes out. I work in Best buy so i could get all that for 3k on my employee discount. I would waste the money anyway but i would rather waste it on a car...
Old 08-23-2006, 07:31 AM
Newbie for Life

Originally Posted by dplaya746
Well i was thinking about that and heres my problem with that. I have been working 3 years and have made 30 000 dollars. With NO bills i have 3 000 saved up. I am not a guy that can have money saved up. Its not like i have been payin for school i have actually received money for going to school from pall grant, HOPE scholorship in georgia pays for tuition and some books. If i dont buy this car i will buy a shitty car that will not be worth shit when i decide to sell it. If i am gonna pay for a car i want to pay for something i will love to drive not something that i dont/wont care about. I see this car as a investment because after 5 years the car will still be worth 10 000- 15000 dollars, much more than i could ever save up.
Even before my parants said i could buy this car i was thinking of buying big screen tv and play station 3 when it comes out. I work in Best buy so i could get all that for 3k on my employee discount. I would waste the money anyway but i would rather waste it on a car...
Anyone who thinks purchasing a car is an investment needs to take someone else's advice when it comes to purchasing a car.

Plus, you admit that you "waste" money. How about investing all of that cash so that you can use it for something useful in the future (i.e. the purchase of your first home/condo)?

You've BLOWN $27,000 away in the last three years (Earned $30K and only saved $3K). What do you have to show for that? With all of that money blown you could have paid cash for a car and not have to worry about having someone cosign for you nor have to worry about a higher interest rate.

Want to piss your money away? Knock yourself out...
Old 08-23-2006, 07:36 AM
Racer

I hope you realize that by getting a $35K car, that your car payments alone will be $600-$800 a month, then insurance, etc. Your young and money doesn't seem to be an issue, so go for it, you only live once right??
Old 08-23-2006, 07:44 AM
Newbie for Life

Step 1 would be to figure out which TL you want (6MT or manual, Navi or non-Navi, color, etc...).

Step 2 would be to contact as many internet sales managers/sales managers as possible. When I bought my TL, I sent emails to every dealership within a 150 mile radius and had them work their best deal on the same car.

Step 3 would be to do your homework about the actual invoice for the car you want and any holdbacks and incentives currently available.

Step 4 would be to start negotiating with the various dealers. I played one off on another and finally worked them down to a price I was content with.

Step 5 - Good Luck!
Old 08-23-2006, 07:56 AM
Instructor

Yea I have to agree with Tripp11, at this point in your life you definately do not want to have large car payments. I co-signed for my daughter's car and she is going to College full time and working to pay for the car (A cheap Ford Focus). She at times struggles to pay for Gas, Insurance, car payments and maintenance.

Buy a cheap car now to not load yourself down so you can focus on school and then when your out of school buy a TL. You'll appeciate it alot more and enjoy it as something special instead of it being a financial burden.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:07 AM
Instructor

Step 1 would be to figure out which TL you want (6MT or manual, Navi or non-Navi, color, etc...).

Step 2 would be to contact as many internet sales managers/sales managers as possible. When I bought my TL, I sent emails to every dealership within a 150 mile radius and had them work their best deal on the same car.

Step 3 would be to do your homework about the actual invoice for the car you want and any holdbacks and incentives currently available.

Step 4 would be to start negotiating with the various dealers. I played one off on another and finally worked them down to a price I was content with.

Step 5 - Good Luck!
Yes and figure out the total cost. Car payment, insurance. Remember that the TL requires 91 octane gas so only High test gas. So filling the tank can be expensive. Get an insurance quote before buying. A 20 year old driving a TL can not be cheap!!
Old 08-23-2006, 08:26 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude, while you're in college you will find a LOT of things to spend money on. Of course there are books and supplies and such, but college can also be the best time of your life and you are going to want to have fun. Fun often costs money. You don't want to be broke all the time. Don't burden yourself now with $600+ a month car payments. You'll have nothing left for spring break, parties, dates, etc. Honestly, most people who own the TL probably have a household income of $100,000+ a year, and those payments STILL hurt a little.

You can come up with any justification you want, but if you do this now, you're going to regret it. Guaranteed.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:43 AM
Cruisin'

I have to agree, I made the decision to go back and get my master's after taking a year off and working at a pretty great job (I still work there, but only part time since I'm back in school), and it paid well, but I figured I couldn't go wrong with someone else paying for my master's. Of course going back took a big chunk out of my pay since I only receive a graduate assistants stipend and my part time pay from my other job. I really want to get a TL, but I'm waiting till I graduate and am working full time so I'm not living pay check to pay check. It sucks driving around in a '92 Accord with no A/C and the handles breaking, but it'll be worth it in the long run. But whatever decision you make I'm sure you'll enjoy the TL, but I'd have to say I used most of my money in undergrad for partying. I did go to WVU so it's almost a requirement to party here.

But if you do go to buy, use Trip11's advice, those are good steps. The document and destination fee will be in the pricing, just make sure when you're negogiating to tell them whatever price everyone agrees on includes all fees except for TTL (tax, title, and licensing). I've seen some places try to charge 100's of dollars for a document fee, and some for 10 dollars. Just walk out if they try to add something on the price at the end, they will call you back, trust me. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:26 AM
Intermediate

Thumbs down Jumping on the Bandwagon

Sorry to hop on the Killjoy Express, but take a step back and take a conservative look at what it will really cost to own this car:

Loan Payments: $600/mo.
Assume only $2k down, net loan of $32k after TTL, 4.9%, 60 mos. That's already $100/mo. more than you want to spend. Google an online loan calculator.

Insurance: $200/mo.
You're single, under 25, in an entry-model luxury sedan, so $2,400/yr isnt' unreasonable. If you live in the sticks, you should be able to get a lower rate, but I can't see it being less than $1,800/yr.

Fuel: $150-200/mo.
$3.20/gal @ 23 MPG over 15,000 mi/yr, given college road trips, driving back home at the breaks, etc. This isn't going to be your Sunday driver.

Maintenance: $75/mo.
This is the money you'll need to put away for the oil changes, brake jobs, wash/wax supplies, insurance deductibles, etc. Added to the fuel costs, it adds up to $0.19/mi, which is fairly accurate (see Edmunds.com)

Now you're up over $1,000/mo. and you haven't even paid for your first frat party Dixie cup, moved out of the dorms, or started smoking.

Please take some sage advice from the rest of us look closely at how much car you really afford. Look at something under $20k to get the payments that you're looking for. Someone threw out the Civic—nice car, good mileage, and it will last forever. That'll become important when you graduate and you're trying to get your feet on the ground. I'd guess that there are very few TL owners on this board that are college students and paying for their own car.

One more option to seriously consider: lease a car. If you have to have a TL or equivalent, you'll get more bang for your temporary dollar by leasing, especially when you find the deals to lease for your $3k down and $279/mo.

Good luck and think this through before you commit yourself to a vehicle to can't afford. You're obviously not stupid if you're asking for advice...
Old 08-23-2006, 11:02 AM
04 NBP 6MT

Go with your friend. Income doesn't matter, credit score does. Plus, if in the future you can't make the payments it will be easier to screw your friend over.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:18 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by your_mom
Go with your friend. Income doesn't matter, credit score does. Plus, if in the future you can't make the payments it will be easier to screw your friend over.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:29 AM
Newbie for Life

Wow, this thread came to life!

In thinking some more, I think you're wasting not only your own money but ours.

Pell Grants are set up for low-income families to send their children to college. Students with combined family income up to $50,000 may be eligible; however, most Pell Grants are awarded to students with combined family incomes less than $20,000. If you're earning a Pell Grant, I think you would be better served helping your family out rather than pissing your money away on a brand new TL.

As a taxpayer, my belief is that these grants should be going to families who are struggling to make ends meet to send their kids to school, and NOT go to a kid who blew $27K for the hell of it.

Without knowing exactly how the Pell Grant is funded, I'm not sure if my federal tax dollars are paying for it, but it all comes out of the same dam* pot.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:34 AM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey! Get outta my head!! I was thinking exactly the same thing as I read the original post. the money savfed with cheaper Civic-ish paymetn can go to other more worthwhile stuff. He'll be glad down the road that all that cash was saved. Plus, if you're driving a $30k Acura right out of college, where to go from there? When you're out of college and have rent or a mortgage, PLUS car insurance the Acura may not seem such a good deal. Better to find a car you can afford to pay the note AND insurance for.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TLinPHL
Sorry to hop on the Killjoy Express, but take a step back and take a conservative look at what it will really cost to own this car:

Loan Payments: $600/mo.
Assume only $2k down, net loan of $32k after TTL, 4.9%, 60 mos. That's already $100/mo. more than you want to spend. Google an online loan calculator.

Insurance: $200/mo.
You're single, under 25, in an entry-model luxury sedan, so $2,400/yr isnt' unreasonable. If you live in the sticks, you should be able to get a lower rate, but I can't see it being less than $1,800/yr.

Fuel: $150-200/mo.
$3.20/gal @ 23 MPG over 15,000 mi/yr, given college road trips, driving back home at the breaks, etc. This isn't going to be your Sunday driver.

Maintenance: $75/mo.
This is the money you'll need to put away for the oil changes, brake jobs, wash/wax supplies, insurance deductibles, etc. Added to the fuel costs, it adds up to $0.19/mi, which is fairly accurate (see Edmunds.com)

Now you're up over $1,000/mo. and you haven't even paid for your first frat party Dixie cup, moved out of the dorms, or started smoking.

Please take some sage advice from the rest of us look closely at how much car you really afford. Look at something under $20k to get the payments that you're looking for. Someone threw out the Civic—nice car, good mileage, and it will last forever. That'll become important when you graduate and you're trying to get your feet on the ground. I'd guess that there are very few TL owners on this board that are college students and paying for their own car.

One more option to seriously consider: lease a car. If you have to have a TL or equivalent, you'll get more bang for your temporary dollar by leasing, especially when you find the deals to lease for your $3k down and $279/mo.

Good luck and think this through before you commit yourself to a vehicle to can't afford. You're obviously not stupid if you're asking for advice...
I'd get a new Civic myself and use the leftover money to buy drinks for all the college women during happy hour. That TL will get beat up in college. Not to mention it more than likely will get keyed by drunk person one night. Not a good atmosphere for an expensive car that everyone will notice. In the land of beaters and kids calling home for money, all it takes is one person to be envious, so to your cost I add:

1) 2 @$500 deductibles for getting your car repainted (being keyed), once a few weeks after arriving at school first semester and once during finals week second semester for a total of $1000 plus insurance increase to your parents.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:01 PM
Cruisin'

Oh and btw, since you're 20...you haven't accounted for the alcohol/bars/clubs cost thats going to burn a hole in your pocket =P well that's if you drink and party...
Old 08-23-2006, 07:41 PM
Instructor

Something tells me he's not going to come back here again. We've burst his bubble in a big way and then some. I guess he found out that, yes we are all enthusiasts but we also have half a brain and know when a decision just doesnt make sense.

But maybe his parents are wealthy and he knows he can always whine to them if $ runs short. What the heck are they thinking saying yes to this anyway?
Old 08-24-2006, 01:35 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by redman042
Something tells me he's not going to come back here again. We've burst his bubble in a big way and then some. I guess he found out that, yes we are all enthusiasts but we also have half a brain and know when a decision just doesnt make sense.

But maybe his parents are wealthy and he knows he can always whine to them if $ runs short. What the heck are they thinking saying yes to this anyway?
Nah i am not the kind of person that backs up after reading something that i dont want to hear... I asked for advice and i got it, now its up to me to decide which path i want to take.
I think you guys actually gave me pretty good advice and after thinking about it, even though i want the new TL SO BAD i cant afford it now.

What do you guys think about a used TL maybe a 04??? If i could get it for 22 000 and i think i shold be able to because its end of the year and that car will be 3 years old now. If i waited till december i could prolly save another 1000 or 2000 and maybe put 5000 down so my payment would be under 400. I dont want to buy a Civic because i hate it and if i am gonna be paying for a car atleast i want to drive something that i will enjoy. I would rather get a older TL or Maxima than new Civic.

Now for you that think my paretns are rich believe me they are not. The only reason they agreed to help me with insurance is because i am young and no matter what car i get insurance will be 100+. Also my dad has 4 more months and he will pay off his 2003 Toyota 4 Runner so we will not have any payments for that. I helped him pay for his car sometimes and now he is going to help me.
I dont know about pell grant but i applied and they gave me around 1 k every year so every year i get 1k back from pall grant since HOPE scolorship pays for my tuition.

Again Thanks for the Advice and now that NEW TL is out of the question What do you think about 04 TL ???
Old 08-24-2006, 08:00 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
It's your life, you can do whatever you want with your money. But most people are right here. You can't afford the TL. At least not new.

Now a 04 would be worth looking into if you can get one for around that price. But your insurance and gas will still be high. Your young, why not get yourself a nice 2 door coupe like the Civic SI? You don't need 4 doors.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:11 AM
Newbie for Life

Originally Posted by dplaya746
Again Thanks for the Advice and now that NEW TL is out of the question What do you think about 04 TL ???
I'm still liking the 2001 - 2005 Civic path: reliable, great gas mileage, low insurance and I think they look GREAT with minor suspension and wheel packages.

I worked a job, part-time, all throughout college and I know I could never afford $400 a month on a car AND all the other expenses I had in college: dates, beer, barhopping, clothes, pizza, concerts, etc... Plus, I had to pay for my own cost of schooling too.

College is a time in your life where you're going to look back and say, "Damn, that was the best 4 years of my life!" You're going to establish connections with people that will last a lifetime. Don't strap yourself with a huge cash burden of a $400-500 car payment.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:02 AM
Instructor

A used TL would certainly be a better move than a new TL. Whatever you decide to do, make sure it's a fully though out, educated decision. In other words, sit down, sharpen your pencil, and do a little planning. Draw up a realistic budget and see how car expenses fit in. Figure out how many hours a week you want to work (the more you work, the more you can afford, but the less time you'll have for homework and fun). How much will you realistically earn, after taxes? Then add up all your other expenses... tuition, food, books, discretionary, etc. Have friends or family help you brainstorm so you don't forget anything. Make sure you account for how much you will eat out vs. eating in. Food is very very expensive. Also make sure you figure out just how much spending money you want to have. Once you do all this, see how much you have left. Is it enough for a car payment, insurance, and gas (the TL sucks a lot of gas). And is there something left for emergencies and a little savings?

Doing this exercise is always an eye opener, but the good thing is that if you do it right, you will KNOW exactly what you can afford. There won't be any more questions.

I did this very same thing a few months ago before buying a house. I'm so glad I did.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:05 AM
9th Gear

I agree with everyone else. I drove a piece of junk all through college and then some. It makes it appreciate your future purchases even more. Good luck with your decision.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Instructor

With all due respect to all the replies above, the "buying a civic you'll be glad in the long run" isn't going to work, because he is just heading to college now and it's probably hard for him to understand our intentions (since we all went thru college).

I would suggest you to get through the first year or two in college, and then think about the TL. I know you will find it hard to accept, because if I were you in your position I'd also want the TL now. But from what I read, your family is not rich, and therefore money could be an issue (or a burden). Why not wait a year or two when you really understand college life and the spendings, and then decide if you should get the TL? I have nothing against driving a nice car in college, in fact I wish I could, but if it is going to limit your activities in college, I think you should reconsider... Would you rather 1) Take a girl out on date with random_car01 and have cash to spend 2) Take a girl out with nice_car01 and go for a spin because you dun have money to do anything.

Btw, someone mentioned the maintenance cost/month, it's so true that it's scary....I've been wondering where all my snack money went....