Looking at '06 TL - Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013 | 07:21 PM
6th Gear

Looking at '06 TL - Advice Please

I'm strongly considering buying a TL here soon. I've found one that I like and and is in my budget. Been stalking the forums here for a little bit and I am wondering if you guys would help me out and point out some things I should be looking for when I go test drive tomorrow. Opinions on price being asked is also welcome.

I've read that timing belt and water pump are issues, but I don't think I can expect that these will be replaced @ 95K. Will also be on the look out for cracks in the dash and burnt out light bulbs on dash display, although that might be hard to determine during the day.

Here's the listing: http://www.originalownerautos.com/listing/a216/

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2013 | 07:37 PM
Advanced

Be sure to ask about when the transmission was serviced, was it done at a dealership? was it done by the owner? was it done at all?? If it was done by the owner did they use the 1x3 method or 3x3 (if you don't know what this means you can find out by doing a forum search, that topic has been covered pretty extensively). If the transmission shifts well without issue and seems to be solid, I'd ask if the TB and WP have been done (if they have, ask to see the receipts) if they haven't, try to have enough $$$ to cover it knocked off the price of the car. Other than that, the car looks OK, the interior/exterior seem to be in decent shape.

Good luck!
Old 08-16-2013 | 08:01 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by WolfgangVonBrutal
Be sure to ask about when the transmission was serviced, was it done at a dealership? was it done by the owner? was it done at all?? If it was done by the owner did they use the 1x3 method or 3x3 (if you don't know what this means you can find out by doing a forum search, that topic has been covered pretty extensively). If the transmission shifts well without issue and seems to be solid, I'd ask if the TB and WP have been done (if they have, ask to see the receipts) if they haven't, try to have enough $$$ to cover it knocked off the price of the car. Other than that, the car looks OK, the interior/exterior seem to be in decent shape.

Good luck!
Thanks! I will have to look into the 1x3 vs 3x3 method. What should I expect to pay for a TB and WP or rather ask for off the sticker price?
Old 08-17-2013 | 12:20 AM
Advanced

It really depends on where you get the work done, some shops will charge more than others, for example, I've heard of people getting it done for $1,200-$1,500, but my dealership gave me an estimate closer to $1,800. Going to an independent shop will almost always be cheaper than going to a dealership.
Old 08-17-2013 | 12:40 AM
Pro

An independent shop will do a TB and WP service for under $1000, if they charge you anymore than that then go to a different shop.
Old 08-20-2013 | 10:22 PM
6th Gear

Well the car in the link above was apparently owned by a pack-a-day smoker who didn't know how to roll down the windows. One of the shortest test drives I've ever been on.

I ended up finding a better one, Satin w/ Ebony interior, '06, AT, Navi w/ 99k miles. Interior is in great condition, some wear on seats but otherwise looks brand new. Exterior has some scratches especially around the door handle area, previous owner apparently had long nails or lots of rings. Hoping that a detail shop can handle that. Up to date on maintenance, not the TB or WP as doesn't need to be serviced until 120k.

First projects will be:
- Figuring out how to get spotify to play through my phone.
- Finding mats for the MN winter

Any pointers on these and some tips on detailers/mechanics in the Twin Cities would be greatly appreciated.