Looking for a 04-05 TL

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009 | 04:57 PM
Instructor

Looking for a 04-05 TL

Hi I am new to this forum.... My name is Curtis and I am looking into buying a used 04-05 TL. The ones I have driven have been in the mileage range of 50k miles to 65k miles. What common issues should I look for and what is the difference between an TL with Navigation and without besides the actual Navigation unit (do the Navi Equiped cars have better sound systems) and could I buy a Acura Navigation Unit and put it in.
Old 02-14-2009 | 06:15 PM
Senior Moderator

I suggest that you look for an 05 TL rather than the 04 due to some small changes that make it a little nicer. For example the leather has different stitching so it'll last longer and not stretch out.

Common problems on the TL, Rattles. When you drive it you will probably hear some rattles, these can be fixed easily with some foam and felt.

As with any used car, look at these key areas to see how the car was kept:

1. Open the hood and check all fluids to make sure they are to proper levels.
2. Take out the trans. dipstick (yellow grab, right near top left of battery, sunken in) and pull it out. Does the fluid look redish pink or brown? It should be redish pink. If not, the fluid hasn't been changed out.
3. Look for all the VIN stickers on the doors, hood, trunklid, etc. If it's missing, its not the factory part
4. check tires for wear, etc.
Old 02-14-2009 | 06:18 PM
Instructor

What is the hacked Navigation that I see everyone has done as a mod.
Old 02-14-2009 | 07:57 PM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by Vettezilla
...what is the difference between an TL with Navigation and without besides the actual Navigation unit (do the Navi Equiped cars have better sound systems) and could I buy a Acura Navigation Unit and put it in.
The Navi cars have voice commands for the climate control and stereo integrated into the system along with voice command for Navi functions.

You could buy the Navi unit and install it in a non-Navi car, but it is a truly expensive ($1500+/- for parts) and pain in the rear process-- easier and cheaper to get a Navi car to start.
The initial startup screen is changed to say something other than the legal warning, like "Curtis' TL," etc.
Check out the 3G Garage for various DIY instructions on the Navi-- https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/3g-tl-service-department-aka-garage-questions-answers-check-here-first-553557/ -- and everything else under the sun.
Old 02-14-2009 | 08:12 PM
Senior Moderator

on the 04-06 systems, you can change the startup image to almost whatever you want, get rid of the OK button, and have a trip computer added as well.

I forgot to answer part of your post:
From my experience, the non-navi and navi cars are much apart and much similar. The navi brings together the whole car into one system which is really nice. You have the Hands-Free Link linked into it, a nice radio display, your navigation system plus calender, notes and a calculator to help with some simple things while discussing topics. As well it makes the car look amazing.

As far as buying and installing, it can be done, but it requires a bit of dis assembly of the car and over 2K in parts. If the parts are bought new, the dvd drive is about 3K , screen is 2.5K, harnesses are 1K, etc.
Old 02-15-2009 | 03:10 PM
Instructor

What are some known problems for the 04 05 TLs... What should I be looking for and what in particular should I have my Mechanic look at when he looks over the car.