Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lookin' for some legal help from lawyer/cops

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lookin' for some legal help from lawyer/cops

So i posted this story in one of the threads, b/c the top happened to come up, but i figure i'd put it out here to get more exposure. Hopefully someone can give me some advice.

I got a ticket yesterday while lookin' for parking for restaurant week in NYC. I had already dropped of my gf and my friends so that they can sit and start ordering, instead of driving around with me to find parking. So there i was stopped at a red light waiting to make a right turn (in NY you can't turn on red). After the light turns green, i let the 20495240958 (slightly exaggerated number) pedestrians go by, only to see a cop wave a flash light at my car, from left to right.

I don't know how New Yorkers interpret that, but to me, a cop in the middle of the intersection waving lights, is a cop who's directing traffic. So i start to make my right, mind you going about 5 mph, b/c i didn't want to FLY past a cop, and he starts saying something, so i roll down my windows to hear him, but he stops talking and keeps waving his flashlight, so i continue to roll forward, but at an even slower speed.

The cop then walks towards my car and slams his fist on my hood and yells, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? DO YOU KNOW HOW TO FUCKIN' STOP?" At this point, i'm shocked. 1) b/c he punched my hood, and 2) b/c he was yelling at me while i was super confused.

So i stick my head out the window and calmly, tried to explain to him that i thought he was directing traffic and that he was waving me by, only to hear him say, "no, i was telling you to stop, you idiot. What were you trying to do? Run me over?? huh?"

I say to him, "no sir, i was definitely not trying to run you over," and again, reiterate the fact that i was thought he was signaling for me to turn.

At this point he keeps yelling about how he was telling me to stop and that i was trying to run him over (yeah...at 5 mph). So he tells me to put the car in park and walks across the intersection to his car. Meanwhile, i'm trying to keep my cool and not make the situation any worse.

As he walks over, i stick my head out the window to apologize for any misunderstanding/communication between me and his signalling. The whole time, i was very apologetic and trying VERY hard to get him to understand where i was coming from. So he "tries" to be a nice guy and says, "ok, i understand you're a nice kid and all, so i'll be fair and give you a 2 point ticket for 'failure to comply' instead of a 5 pt wreckless driving."

Luckily there's no dent on my hood, or else i'd probably have hired a lawyer by now. Gotta figure out if there's anyway to get out of this ticket. Any suggestions??
Old 08-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Banned

Wow, what an a**h*l* of a cop. I live in the BX, and that's why I try my best to avoid driving into manhatten. You just cannot win!
Since you're 'out of state', does the points go on your license? Before, it didn't. Don't know about now, though. It's a messed up situation, but for what it's worth, 2 points ain't so bad.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

From what i was told, unfortunately, the 2 points will transfer from NY to NJ. I think in NJ points transfer regardless of where it's from (whoohoo! go Jersey!)
Old 08-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
next time you dont understand what they want- STOPPPPPPPP!!!!!
shrug your shoulders- make an exagerrated Im stupid expression with I dont get it! motion with hands

Usually Stop is waving the light back and forth very quickly, or the hand held up palm facing you- the international STOP signal

What was this cop doing that he was able to abandon his post to hassle you?
Obviously he felt your wheels were pointed at him as you moved forward. which puts him in extreme danger of being struck.
Cops face danger every day- you never know what driver is on what drug and has what concept of reality to run you over in a second and keep right on going!

Go to court and fight it- hope the cop doesnt show up- or the judge is understanding of what was going on
The point of ~what was the cop doing there in the intersection with an operational signal light??- if the light was broken I can see that
In that case of traffic control- they usually wear a bright color safety vest, and their instructions override the signal lights--

The use of International recognized signals and symbols needs to be brought up
They have standardized signs- whats with the directing motion of the flashlight???
Old 08-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
lax- post this thread in Car Talk in the Off Topic section of the forum. Since we can't move threads there, feel free to restart it. This thread is closed.