Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LoJack, car security, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 10:36 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LoJack, car security, etc.

I've read that many of you have opted to purchase the LoJack system with the vehicle -- Is it a one-time fee to get it installed? Is it really worth it?

Is that price negotiable?

I thought keys these days have some built-in chip that the engine needs before allowing it to go far?
Old 12-10-2003, 12:41 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: LoJack, car security, etc.

Originally posted by Lore
I've read that many of you have opted to purchase the LoJack system with the vehicle -- Is it a one-time fee to get it installed? Is it really worth it?

I thought keys these days have some built-in chip that the engine needs before allowing it to go far?
I got LoJack... with early warning protection so if you fly to Bermuda for a cocktail you'll get a page or phone or text message call saying your car has been moved.

There is no other chip, except the one in the key.

LoJack is one time fee. It was painless to get it started.

Mike
Old 12-10-2003, 01:10 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: LoJack, car security, etc.

Not sure if this is the best security system so far for 04TL, but it won't require any wire-cut or bypass stuff to set it up.

As the combination with Early Warning system, it gives you some motion detector and radio transmitter with backup battery, which means your communication devices will hourly get the notifications continuously if your car is moving without your fob. This cannot guarantee your car is safe, but you would know the car is moving now then your report to police will lead to find your vehicle before thevies start to take it apart. Much efficiency than Lojack only.

My friend has it, and it will inform him of the motions in 5 mins. At least this early warning system is better than its original Lojack device, with which you won't know your car is lost until you check.

I think it's the one time fee with 2 yrs tech support for original owner. The dealer selling you the car should have better deal for you.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:50 AM
Pro

Built In Security

Does the car have a built in alarm with the security system?

Dealer said it did but I really never checked... I know it doesnt have motion detect or glass break detect but I used to disable that on my old car's after market half the time because I didn'tlike being woken up at night when it was windy (the neighbors didn't either).

What is actually BUILT IN to the security system on the car from factory and how good is it and what does it do?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 12-10-2003, 10:13 AM
Intermediate

I was trying to figure out exactly what the early warning option was good for.

I mean, so you get a phone call within a few minutes of your car being stolen - how does this make life any better? Sure you can call the cops that much sooner, but isn't the whole idea of lojack that they'll find your car in a matter of hours anyway?

Seems like it would just allow me to start freaking out immediately instead of waiting until I stepped outside and found my car missing. Personally, if my TL was stolen by some scumbag I wouldn't even want it back. Just replace my car, thank you.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:28 AM
Cruisin'

5 min is much better then 2 hours.

so your out and you get a page that your car is moving, you excuse yourself from dinner and go check for yourself. you notice your car is indead gone and call the police telling them you have lojak.

by only giving the crook 5 minutes from your locaton, and barring highway access he could be a max of 5 miles from your locaton if he traveled in a straight line. this helps the police tremidosly to help narrow their search net.

i would rather only give the crook a 5 min head start then 3 hours or more and then you have no idea how far he could have travled.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:54 AM
Burning Brakes

I got Lojack and the early warning system (for around $750 total). It usually takes around 15 minutes to notify you of a theft, according to the literature.

This is obviously far better than not finding out about it until you go looking for the car. The sooner you call the police, the sooner they start tracking the car. How can anyone not think that's a valuable feature definitely worth having?

The only downside is you have to carry the keychain transponder with you in order to trigger the feature. The transponder must be in the car at all times while you are driving, or you will trigger the system. So if you don't want to carry it all the time, you can leave it in the car, but it wont do its job. My thinking is that any time I leave the car in an unsecured area, bad part of town, the airport, at home while I'm away, etc, those are times I will absolutely take the thing with me.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:19 AM
Intermediate

Hey, if it makes you feel more secure about the safety of your car then more power to you. Personally, I think the lojack stuff is interesting - but only slightly more valuable than the other "protection" services my dealer tried to sell me.

You know, things like ext. warranty, environmental protection, leather treatment, etc. It all boils down to extra insurance for various bad things that can happen. Statistically speaking it's money not well spent.

I already pay car insurance that covers theft and I'm willing to live with finding out that someone has stolen my car > 15 minutes ago.

Don't get me wrong, lojack is a cool service and if it came free with the car I'd use it....
Old 12-10-2003, 01:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I'd say there is no alarm system which can protect your car completely. Lojack cannot tell you if someone tries to knock windows and steal the stuff, but it can tell you if your car is in the tow truck and starts moving.

You may try GPS alarm system too, I'd like to see it if it doesn't require to wire any stuff to interfere my TL. This system combines everything and is able to track your car. I guss.

I have to agree LoJack early warning system makes life much easier. The early notification you obtain would lead you narrow your search for your car as Stonewolfjr said. Even you don't like that car anymore, you'd like to have a car back before replacing it.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: Built In Security

Originally posted by MikeRadio
Does the car have a built in alarm with the security system?

Mike
Not pretty sure what TL has, I remember TL will horn if you knock the windows hard, or open the doors without keys or remotes, or trying to start engine without right code. Also, if anyone tries to steal your DVD and Radio, it should horn, too.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:52 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Does anyone know if the keys have chips built in that would prevent someone from taking your car too far without the proper key?
Old 12-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Does anyone know if the keys have chips built in that would prevent someone from taking your car too far without the proper key?
The immobilizer key system suppose to stop anyone using improper key to start your car.

By theory, as long as ppl don't have your immobilizer key, the car won't start. However, if the system can be bypassed, they can drive as far as they want.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:29 PM
Pro

Originally posted by rets
The immobilizer key system suppose to stop anyone using improper key to start your car.

By theory, as long as ppl don't have your immobilizer key, the car won't start. However, if the system can be bypassed, they can drive as far as they want.
How good is this immobilizer?

I noticed on several of the loaner Acuras I have had some going to 2001, they all had the immobilizer....

Does it work?

Or should I say.. has anyone here had or heard of someone stealing the car and bypassing the immobilizer??

My old GM car had a chip in the key which was probably similar.

Mike

PS - How can you test that the TL will HORN at you?
Old 12-10-2003, 08:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

PS - How can you test that the TL will HORN at you?
If I use my after-market security remote to open my 94 Legend and do not disable Acura's factory alarm, my Legend will horn loudly. I don't know how to duplicate the same thing to 04 TL. But I'm sure new TL has the same type of security system, and upgrade version.

(Maybe, sitting in the car, and lock the doors by remote, make sure the security red-light is flashing, then try to open the door without remote, see if the car will horn?)
Old 12-10-2003, 08:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

How good is this immobilizer?
http://www.powerlock.jp/english/comparison.html

You may check this, it looks like just another adverisement for their product.

But, I'm sure "steering wheel lock" is a minute away to defeat it.

"Regular alarm": cut the power from battery.

"Pedal locks": need extra 3-5 minutes to break if you have right tools. If not, it's pretty safe.

"GPS alarm or LoJack": find it ASAP and destroy it.

"Immobilizer": cut power plus hot-wire...
If you can reach the starting motor and give it a power boost, you may bypass the immobilizer system.

But, if you new immobilizer works with computer and your car is Drive-by-Wire (computer controls your oil-feeding), the car should not be able to start 'cause computer doesn't talk to immobilizer system. No computer, no fuel. I guess...

I think this Power Lock stuff is to put an obstacle over the starting motor, so you won't be able to boost from here unless you remove it...?

Remember: they always can tow away or move your car by trucks without breaking anything... I think audible alarm could help this...
Old 12-10-2003, 08:43 PM
Intermediate

Our 2000 Jeep GC came with Immobilizer chip in the key
and every time a new 10 Most Stolen Cars list comes out,
the Jeep is in there....so I don't think they are too difficult
to defeat. Also there was a 60 minutes or 20/20 or some other
show reporting on how easy it is to go to a dealer, give them VIN # and get the new key. They are supposed to check your identity but the report showed (w/ female posing as an owner losing the key) that most time one can talk their way into getting that key w/o showing anything.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:46 PM
Pro

Originally posted by rets
http://www.powerlock.jp/english/comparison.html

You may check this, it looks like just another adverisement for their product.

But, I'm sure "steering wheel lock" is a minute away to defeat it.

"Regular alarm": cut the power from battery.

"Pedal locks": need extra 3-5 minutes to break if you have right tools. If not, it's pretty safe.

"GPS alarm or LoJack": find it ASAP and destroy it.

"Immobilizer": cut power plus hot-wire...
If you can reach the starting motor and give it a power boost, you may bypass the immobilizer system.

But, if you new immobilizer works with computer and your car is Drive-by-Wire (computer controls your oil-feeding), the car should not be able to start 'cause computer doesn't talk to immobilizer system. No computer, no fuel. I guess...

I think this Power Lock stuff is to put an obstacle over the starting motor, so you won't be able to boost from here unless you remove it...?

Remember: they always can tow away or move your car by trucks without breaking anything... I think audible alarm could help this...
They can not find the Lojack so easily since it could be hidden in one of MANY places.. it would take time. Not only that, LoJack is not something that you ADVERTISE... No Stickers PROTECTED BY LOJACK.. so they may not even think it is there.

And as far as them moving the car by trucks without breaking anuything.. the LoJack would indicate this with early warning.

As for the person who said the immobilizer is on the jeep... is it the SAME as the Acura imobilizer?? Lots of jeys have a feature similar but the technology I am sure is different.

What does the glass etch do that is so greast for security? My finance guy said that professional criminals stay away from cars with the etch.

Mike
Old 12-10-2003, 11:36 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Lo-Jack doesn't work (in time)

4 months after I bought it, I got my Accord stolen with Lo-Jack at 4 am (sunday) and it took the police more than 12 hours to find it (3 blocks away from my house - they dumped it there after stripping it).

They took all leather seats, air bags, door panels.
Police told me that on that Sunday THERE WERE ONLY 4 POLICE CARS WITH TRACKERS, and they were busy tracking other vehicles, so meanwhile my car was being dismantled.
The insurance company totalled the car, because it would cost them $15.000 to replace all parts + labor - and I paid $9500 for that used Accord. (they wanted to sell it to me for $5000 with no seats!)

The best thing is to use a GPS system that uses the pager network for tracking (they even give you a password to check your car moving on a map on the web!) That system costs about $500 and they were charging for yearly usage (between $10-30
month) it may be cheaper now. just check on the web for vehicle tracking...

for example look at this:

http://www.teletype.com/pages/tracking.html

there are others, more and less sofisticated, is up to you. But DON'T GET LO-JACK....!

The Nissan dealer (where I bought my used Accord) even had a plack saying they recoverd my car in less than 24 hours! but they don't tell people, the car was useless

Lo-Jack wouldn't even tell me where they installed the device so I could recover my $700 I paid 4 months before!
Old 12-11-2003, 07:01 AM
Pro

Originally posted by NOX 3.2
Lo-Jack doesn't work (in time)

4 months after I bought it, I got my Accord stolen with Lo-Jack at 4 am (sunday) and it took the police more than 12 hours to find it (3 blocks away from my house - they dumped it there after stripping it).

They took all leather seats, air bags, door panels.
Police told me that on that Sunday THERE WERE ONLY 4 POLICE CARS WITH TRACKERS, and they were busy tracking other vehicles, so meanwhile my car was being dismantled.
The insurance company totalled the car, because it would cost them $15.000 to replace all parts + labor - and I paid $9500 for that used Accord. (they wanted to sell it to me for $5000 with no seats!)

The best thing is to use a GPS system that uses the pager network for tracking (they even give you a password to check your car moving on a map on the web!) That system costs about $500 and they were charging for yearly usage (between $10-30
month) it may be cheaper now. just check on the web for vehicle tracking...

for example look at this:

http://www.teletype.com/pages/tracking.html

there are others, more and less sofisticated, is up to you. But DON'T GET LO-JACK....!

The Nissan dealer (where I bought my used Accord) even had a plack saying they recoverd my car in less than 24 hours! but they don't tell people, the car was useless

Lo-Jack wouldn't even tell me where they installed the device so I could recover my $700 I paid 4 months before!
Yes, but GPS can NOT work when the satellites are not in view... can this teletype do that some how?

Sorry to hear about your LoJack experience... but nothing is perfect.. I am sure sometimes they get it in time sometimes they do not.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:44 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

I got the solution!

Just install an AUTO TEASER!

http://www.electromax.com/perprot.html (down 1/2 of the page)

At least will prevent theaf a little better than Lo-Jack.
& you Need to get even sometimes...
Old 12-11-2003, 11:26 PM
Pro

Originally posted by NOX 3.2
I got the solution!

Just install an AUTO TEASER!

http://www.electromax.com/perprot.html (down 1/2 of the page)

At least will prevent theaf a little better than Lo-Jack.
& you Need to get even sometimes...
Looks like that would just piss a thief off who would then just destroy your car for the hell of it.