Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Living in a dream world? maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 12:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Living in a dream world? maybe?

I see allot of comments on the 3G TL Forum like: "Maybe you can upgrade in the future" or "Maybe the dealer can upgrade that in the future".

When was the last time a car manufacture upgraded a vehicle to offer more features? Can someone answer that for me?

Am I taking crazy pill here?
Old 12-04-2004, 12:52 PM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The electronics on most new cars are amazingly flexible & can be reprogrammed & upgraded as updates & software revisions are made available.

Just a few years ago, for certain defects in a ECM or PCM, the unit would need to be replaced. In many cases now the unit can be 'flashed' with a updated program. Quite common for things like making cars easier to start in cold weather, high altitudes, etc.

Most manufacturers will recommend updating a PCM for certain DTC's or runability concerns.

On the other hand, certain hard parts will probably not be upgraded as time goes by, even if they are problematic.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Just proof of two "universal" truths:

1) There is no such thing as a perfect car.
2) Gearheads are never really satisfied.. they always want more.

Nothing wrong with either of these truths. Since there is no perfect car, that simply means the car companies have to keep trying and that works in everyone's favor. Competition is the essence of the search for perfection. And since gearheads are never satisfied, we keep trying to find ways to the perfect car and sometimes we wind up with something that makes us very happy.

And lastly, manufacturers of not only cars, but just about anything you can imagine, are constantly upgrading product to offer more features because their competition is doing the same thing (God bless capitalism and the free market system).

No, you're not crazy.. you're just observing the way things are.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:19 PM
professional TL driver

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Just proof of two "universal" truths:

1) There is no such thing as a perfect car.
2) Gearheads are never really satisfied.. they always want more.

Nothing wrong with either of these truths. Since there is no perfect car, that simply means the car companies have to keep trying and that works in everyone's favor. Competition is the essence of the search for perfection. And since gearheads are never satisfied, we keep trying to find ways to the perfect car and sometimes we wind up with something that makes us very happy.

And lastly, manufacturers of not only cars, but just about anything you can imagine, are constantly upgrading product to offer more features because their competition is doing the same thing (God bless capitalism and the free market system).

No, you're not crazy.. you're just observing the way things are.
current nissan skyline r34 gtr comes damn close in my book though!!!!!! lots of tech toys, damn near bullit proof, awd, fast and extremely hot..... but you cant buy it here!!!!!!! maybe that is that cars fault
Old 12-04-2004, 05:09 PM
Intermediate

So far every one has missed the question.

When was the last time a car manufacture upgraded a vehicle to offer more features?

Take for instance:
Getting the Navi upgraded in the 04-05 TL to offer traffic, or getting the HFL upgraded to tell you who is call based on your number label.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BIGFISH

When was the last time a car manufacture upgraded a vehicle to offer more features?

Take for instance:
Getting the Navi upgraded in the 04-05 TL to offer traffic, or getting the HFL upgraded to tell you who is call based on your number label.
A 2004 TL user can purchase these upgrades?
Old 12-04-2004, 06:06 PM
professional TL driver

Originally Posted by BIGFISH

Take for instance:
offering those upgrades wouldnt be profitable.... i hate to say it but thats what it comes down to.... and even if you break the cost up and charge it to the consumers for the upgrade, do you think you will find many who want to pay for it? look at it this way, to upgrade our navi (the entire tl fleet) its a several million dollar project for the upgraded software.... should acura foot the bill? when the car is already sold? when they are already having to do alot of warrenty work for minor (and in my opinion, no flames please, frivilous) complaints.... if they pass the cost on to the consumer for the upgrade it would cost each individual owner several hundred dollars.... and we all know how that will go over.... look in the forum about spare discs for the navi. people are trying to duplicate them so 1 can be bought and copied and given to many.... at which point acura is getting the shaft.... re-enginneering anything is costly, which is why its better to get it right the first time... the rl is a more expensive car (close to $15,000) then the tl... it should get added content to offset that cost... which includes awd, traffic advice and more..... COST VS BENEFIT
Old 12-04-2004, 07:58 PM
jtw
jtw

Take for instance:
Getting the Navi upgraded in the 04-05 TL to offer traffic, or getting the HFL upgraded to tell you who is call based on your number label.[/QUOTE]

Does the HFL and display screen not flash up who is calling? no caller id? not sure i understand the upgrade your looking for? i assumed the car like the phone would have or display caller id, am i assuming too much?
Old 12-05-2004, 07:28 AM
Intermediate

Im not looking for an upgrade. I was commenting on some of the comments i found on the forum about upgrades.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:13 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
with BigFish. The established upgrade path (buy a new car) is the one the automakers prefer.

Mike