3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

List Your Mods That Have Gone Bad

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 02:19 PM
08 TL-S NBP

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I'd have to say rear license plate LED's just like everyone else I had gone threw 3 sets in about a month until I just said forget it and put xenon ones in.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installed comptech rear sway bar. installed energy bushings. two years later, sheared off rear sway bar mount point, required new rear subframe. 900 bucks out of pocket (could have gotten it welded but was pretty fed up)
Old 01-15-2009, 03:51 PM
once you go black....

License plate LED's are a bad investment. Be prepared to buy at least few sets every year. I went with Cold Cathode lights and havent had any issues for 6 months now...plus they look 10 times better!
Old 01-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
puddle lights = FAIL

I bought them from e bay and spent hours fixing them up before putting them in because they were cheap and poorly constructed. I spent another day putting them in bc it took forever to find that damn dome light wire

After the install they worked perfectly...until the snow came. First storm, one light out, second storm 2 more out, by now they are all out. I checked em out and the salt has corroded all the wires, I'm screwed. I'm still trying to decide if I will replace them or not...

All other mods have gone fine!
Old 01-15-2009, 09:49 PM
SSM Sport Shifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My mod that went wrong was the "Energy Susp" hardcore bushings for my RSB. These f^ckers dont give at ALL. Its almost like metal bushings. Well I guess I took a corner too hard or something but the bracket underneath the car where the bushings bolt on to was almost pulled
off completely. I had to have someone weld them back on. And yes it broke both brackets. (Left and Right)

I took them off and put on the ones that came with the RSB and the car rides better. Its because these bushings actually give a little. Had to vent about this because I was really pissed off when I saw the brackets just hanging on like by the ends.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:11 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
^ i had the comptech and energy combo on my 06 TL... wonder if it had any problems
Old 01-15-2009, 11:31 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
The dam turbo i put in. Totally screwed shit up.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:15 AM
KBPftmfw

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Freaking 9-LED wedge based bulbs in the License Plate would work for a few weeks then start flickering. Look like crap. 10,000 hour LED life my ass.
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
ditto... i had light the 9WLED liscense plate lights, they worked for about 4 weeks give or take....flickered, and died....
Originally Posted by acura_dipset_tl
Same those lights just plain suck.
Originally Posted by HONgDA
Same thing happened to me tonight. Did you get yours from v-leds too?

I learn from my past mistakes on my first car. But I just can't win with led bulbs. I am disappointed with leds once again.
Originally Posted by msala524
I'd have to say rear license plate LED's just like everyone else I had gone threw 3 sets in about a month until I just said forget it and put xenon ones in.
That sucks. I hope mine last awhile. I got mine from Vleds and so far, so good.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:58 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
When installing an After Market Shock / Lowering Spring (say Koni/H&R, for example), make sure the spring perch is pointed the right way (up is up and down is down).

Other-wise, it might look like you raised you car by an inch instead of lowered it.

Then you get all freaked out and start posting threads with titles like: "WTF, My Car Looks Like a 4x4" and "Koni/H&R Looks Like Crap on My Car - Pics Inside", etc.

Don't ask me how I know this.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 95oRANGEcRUSH
That sucks. I hope mine last awhile. I got mine from Vleds and so far, so good.
I got mine from superbright they works perfectly fine.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:09 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by SelimUniNoLimit
I got mine from superbright they works perfectly fine.

Thats where I got mine. Finally gave up on that type (9 or 12 LED wedge base) and went with Kennedy's recommendation of SuperNova (with a heatsink) - I *think* those are from Superbright LED's too.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:57 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Thats where I got mine. Finally gave up on that type (9 or 12 LED wedge base) and went with Kennedy's recommendation of SuperNova (with a heatsink) - I *think* those are from Superbright LED's too.
Oh! you guys talking about LED wedge... yeah they sucks

But yes, I got all SuperNovas they are very good. I bought two sets blue and pure white. I only use the white ones for domes and license plate and blue for doors.

Last edited by smsTL; 01-16-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Btw, I blew my fuse about 5 times while installing them and later when i went for check up at the dealer they told me one of my battery cell wasn't working so i had to replace with whole new one.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I'd have to echo the license plate LED's. I went through two sets on my old TSX. They'd last a couple of months a best. I put them in my 08 TL-S and the connectors seemed to be tighter. It was harder to push the bulbs in. No problems since and it's been about 6 months now.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:49 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
You guys and your LED's...

LED's and Angle Eyes/Demon Eyes....

My newest most recent pet peev. And damned if it doesnt seem like everybody's got em...lol.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:19 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
imo, the problem with LED's in the license is that the older led's are pretty fragile and the constant opening and slamming of the trunk knocks them around a bit and they dont last very long. I recently replaced the standard set of led's with a set of the new high powered smt leds, which appear to be a little more solid state, and they plugged in very tightly (i would need pliers to get them out). so far they've been holding up.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:54 PM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
When installing an After Market Shock / Lowering Spring (say Koni/H&R, for example), make sure the spring perch is pointed the right way (up is up and down is down).

Other-wise, it might look like you raised you car by an inch instead of lowered it.

Then you get all freaked out and start posting threads with titles like: "WTF, My Car Looks Like a 4x4" and "Koni/H&R Looks Like Crap on My Car - Pics Inside", etc.

Don't ask me how I know this. .

Funny Bearcat.....Yeah, that is something I will never forget....
Old 01-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You know I've had my wedge leds from Superbrightled for over 2 years now both in my car and in my license plate lights and it has not once flickered or went out. I guess I'm lucky

knock on wood
Old 01-16-2009, 06:50 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
tried installing led floor lights and ruined my dash lights
Old 01-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
I put together an intake on my Civic with a short ram piping, velocity stack and a $90 K&N filter that fit perfectly overtop the velocity stack. After tightening it down, I decided to spray down my motor and clean it up a bit. I stuck a plastic bag over the filter to keep it dry. Then I sprayed some engine cleaner into the bay and since the sun was out, I closed the hood so the cleaner to set for a while and not dry up. I came back like 20 mins later and started the car up to move it for some reason. It started, but didn't want to move too well. I gave it more gas and it eventually backed up like I had wanted, but stalled out. I popped the hood and saw that I forgot to remove the plastic bag, which completely crushed my new filter. I was so mad at myself at the time, but looking back, I can't help but laugh.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Freaking 9-LED wedge based bulbs in the License Plate would work for a few weeks then start flickering. Look like crap. 10,000 hour LED life my ass.
WORD! I thought that shit was supposed to last. It looked great while it lasted those first two weeks. Then one went out... and then the othe finally fizzled. Those things were $$$ too...
Old 01-17-2009, 01:04 AM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by blazin si
i put together an intake on my civic with a short ram piping, velocity stack and a $90 k&n filter that fit perfectly overtop the velocity stack. After tightening it down, i decided to spray down my motor and clean it up a bit. I stuck a plastic bag over the filter to keep it dry. Then i sprayed some engine cleaner into the bay and since the sun was out, i closed the hood so the cleaner to set for a while and not dry up. I came back like 20 mins later and started the car up to move it for some reason. It started, but didn't want to move too well. I gave it more gas and it eventually backed up like i had wanted, but stalled out. I popped the hood and saw that i forgot to remove the plastic bag, which completely crushed my new filter. I was so mad at myself at the time, but looking back, i can't help but laugh.
lmao wow!!!
Old 01-17-2009, 09:14 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by CarrieLynn
puddle lights = FAIL

I bought them from e bay and spent hours fixing them up before putting them in because they were cheap and poorly constructed. I spent another day putting them in bc it took forever to find that damn dome light wire

After the install they worked perfectly...until the snow came. First storm, one light out, second storm 2 more out, by now they are all out. I checked em out and the salt has corroded all the wires, I'm screwed. I'm still trying to decide if I will replace them or not...

All other mods have gone fine!
Aww man, you too Carrie? Damn I guess CT ain't friendly to underbody lights. Well when it rains it gets pelted and when it snows......forget it! I wish I lived down south!

My 1st attempt in Jan 2008 didn't last long. The salt and water did a number so I had to redo them in March. I went all out and really sealed them. Worked fine until the snow a week ago. 3 work on each side but nothing is shorted out, I don't know what's up. What's worse is my car is lowered on Teins and that ain't snow friendly AT ALL! At the end of my driveway the snow plows shovel up a mound that ices up and is a pain to axe off! I was in a hurry one morning and my sills bottomed out and scraped along the iced slush. I was PISSED! Luckily the puddles were fine and still intact. Then 3 days ago I was going over a steep speed bump. I was distracted and went a bit fast over it.....My side sills totally said BAM!!! I was like WTF?!?!?!? Jumped out and 0 damage anywhere. Apparently it didn't touch the A-Spec sill and it bottomed out somewhere between the lights missing them. The lights had do damage at all. Something metal did hit the speedbump! Well no leaks anywhere and the car is running fine. My car is too low to take a peek under, gotta get to a lift.

I am going to redo them again in the spring use some heavy-duty custom modules this time and recess them. You are right, the hard part of the mod is over. Getting to that dome light and routing the wire to the exterior.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:39 PM
Cruisin'

definitely helpful, keep it up!
Old 01-17-2009, 11:57 PM
panditobinbin

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
when i cleared my headlights i didn't reseal one properly and that gave me condensation so i had to reseal it......longest mod ive ever done. but it was worth it
Old 06-18-2009, 11:16 PM
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
which LED models did you get?

I just ordered a bunch of the 1.5W LED's from eBay (the ones with the copper rings). I hope they're ok. $25 for 8 of them.

Which models of LED's did you get? I want to know in case my LED's die too early.

Originally Posted by lembowski
You know I've had my wedge leds from Superbrightled for over 2 years now both in my car and in my license plate lights and it has not once flickered or went out. I guess I'm lucky

knock on wood
Old 06-19-2009, 01:40 AM
Unregistered User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
taking out trunk springs. worst idea EVER!
on top of it being stupid, your trunk weighs about 90 pounds.
if it happens to close on the trunk spring rod you had holding it in the air, it bends the lip of your trunk lid. resulting a a $586.78 body shop bill.

gotta say, that's been the worst thing i've done so far to the tl.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:59 AM
Where Did My Garage Go?!!

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
Cracked my Type-S right tail light while installing it (it just didn't want to fit correctly, still have the new one to replace it sitting in my grage)

Blew my signal fuse while installing the resistors in my trunk

paid 200 dollars for tint just to find out the next day I needed moleskin

Ripped my wheel well liner installing my aspec kit (which still has holes in around the edges)

shattered two dome lights while trying to install LEDs (I still find glass in my car)
Old 06-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

I bought the Raven Black Inspyres for my ABP, had them on for a week and ended up hating how they looked, way too much black for the ABP. I ended up selling them but lost quite a bit of money since they were used. I put on the A-specs and have loved them ever since.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
MY V-LED leds. I had 2 front swithbacks go bad in 2 weeks, then the right front resistor went bad a week later. Now one of my V-LED fogs just went out. Pisses me off. Now I have to dig into the car to replace a resistor and another fog led. $$$$$$$ in the garbage.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:43 PM
Unregistered User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JD TL-S
MY V-LED leds. I had 2 front swithbacks go bad in 2 weeks, then the right front resistor went bad a week later. Now one of my V-LED fogs just went out. Pisses me off. Now I have to dig into the car to replace a resistor and another fog led. $$$$$$$ in the garbage.

If it just 'went out' and wasn't because of installing it wrong (without a resistor, for instance), email Jake. They will take care of you. Probably have to pay shipping but at least not a total loss.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:00 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Cleared my headlights and didn't seal well. On my second set of ballasts after resealing them twice. I ended up buying new lights.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
i broke the engine cover for the brake fluid thing ... juss tryna open the brake fluid resevoir putting my slotted and drilled rotors on
Old 06-20-2009, 02:38 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Didnt measure putting my puddle lights on the driver side of the car because I was in a hurry to go somewhere.. So they came out a little crooked!! had to redrill and cover the old holes and get creative! that sucked so bad.. but my puddle lights are recessed and sealed up pretty good now .. i did my research and went with recessed puddle lights after seeing rockyfeller and carrielynn stories! hehe
Old 06-20-2009, 08:26 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,982 Likes on 14,493 Posts
Great thread...haven't had anything major go wrong with the mods I've done the TL. I guess as I get older I take more time to install and use dielectric grease and tie wraps to avoid headaches in the future.

I DID have to reinstall my TEIN SS 3 times because I forgot this or that every time. PITA but now I'm a pro. Also, drilled an access hole to get to the top of the rear TEINS to adjust dampening without removing seats and rear deck...only to figure out that the hole had to be tiny just to fit the allens wrench which made it impossible to see if I was close or not. Making the hole bigger was NOT an option. So I gave up.

I feel the pain of all the springs vs. coilover posts too though...took me 2 cars to finally get the point. Cut dropzone springs on stock shocks...to H&R spings on stock shocks to megan coilovers to TEIN SS...and will never look back. All those setups were on different cars.

OH...and blew the fuse to my DRL module (you really DO need to upgrade that rinky dink fuse holder!) trying to figure out why my OEM fogs weren't lighting up...hmmm...could it be that while cleaning the car I knocked the high beams on? And didn't notice and spent a full day breaking my head trying to figure it out. DAMNED BIXENONS! Lol.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
my problem was that highly talked about tint protector stuff you see online.. u peal the sticky back felt and put it on the weather strip.. umm in any warm climates that glue shit will get all over your tints. ok u can goo gone it a few times but after a week of heat and glue getting all over... F that.. so i got some felt from craft store and did a DIY tint protector and wrapped the weather strip with the felt when the strip is placed back on the door its all held in. and NO GLUE all over th windows =)
Old 06-20-2009, 03:59 PM
Love My Acura!

Great thread!
But, as a relative newbie to this forum, a couple of (probably) stupid questions:

What is moleskin?

What is the "A-Spec" suspension?

Thanks!

Robert
Old 06-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Spacers...I went through 4 sets none of them fit without rubbing Thats pretty much it....I like every other mod i've done.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trek7300
Great thread!
But, as a relative newbie to this forum, a couple of (probably) stupid questions:

What is moleskin?

What is the "A-Spec" suspension?

Thanks!

Robert
Moleskin is a felt material that is uses to prevent the weather strip inside the door from scratching your tinted windows
Old 06-20-2009, 09:17 PM
The Kinetics of Bleu

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I will chime in with the same old mistake of installing springs with stock shocks/struts. Within 2 weeks my right rear was blown. A few weeks after that the L/R wqas blown as well. Mind you the car only has 20K miles so they were not old, they just did not like a 1.5" drop. I just got back from driving 1k miles each way to Philly and back with blown struts. I can't wait to put my Tokico's on...

Quick Reply: List Your Mods That Have Gone Bad