Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Light Steering Wheel!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 10:28 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Light Steering Wheel!

i test drove a 2004 TL 2 times this week....

whats the deal with the light steering wheel...to easy to move....
is this a fault that is fixed on the 2005?

i currently own an IS300.

thanks fellas.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
I guess IS300 would beat 3GTL in this particular comparison.

I feel late build 04TL having better response on roads, better than my early build vehicle.

If 05 does carry over the good heritage from 04, it should be better.

How's about A-Spec TL? Try it...
Old 11-01-2004, 11:07 PM
Shift_faster

Don't expect the same steering feel that you are used to in the IS, in the TL. The IS300 has a heavy feel, while the TL is overboosted. I have a 04 TL and I notice this also. I don't believe there is any change for the 05.

I switched out the rear sway bar to Comptech's 22mm bar, and installed the A-Spec suspension which helps with the cornering ability, and slightly stiffens up the steering. It is still no where near IS & 3 series "feeling", but it is MUCH, improved from stock.

As rets alluded to above, the A-Spec TL has more "sport" in the steering, but you might need to compromise on the steering feel if you end up going with the TL. Good luck.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:57 PM
5th Gear

is there a way to adjust the steering wheel boost (power level)??

the TL is a large car...why the light steering wheel...kinda like an old caddy for old folks.

thanks guys.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:10 AM
10th Gear

The steering is definately lighter than in my 2000 Audi S4. However, the steering is much much heavier than my '97 Mercedes Benz S-Class. In my S-class I can flink the steering wheel lock-to-lock with my left pinky. =) My point is that a TL is a entry-level luxury car. BMWs and Lexus' don't count as true sports cars either (I own both an e46 M3 and an M5). Heavy, underboosted steerings don't give anyone a performance edge. If you want a sports car, but a Porsche, Ferrari, etc. The TL is nice for what it is but don't fool yourself.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:51 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hrana98
The steering is definately lighter than in my 2000 Audi S4. However, the steering is much much heavier than my '97 Mercedes Benz S-Class. In my S-class I can flink the steering wheel lock-to-lock with my left pinky. =) My point is that a TL is a entry-level luxury car. BMWs and Lexus' don't count as true sports cars either (I own both an e46 M3 and an M5). Heavy, underboosted steerings don't give anyone a performance edge. If you want a sports car, but a Porsche, Ferrari, etc. The TL is nice for what it is but don't fool yourself.
I think what people are talking about is the feel of being connected to the road. One doesn't need a sports car to achieve this however. I currently own a Mazda Protege 5 and the steering and brakes are spot on. It is a blast to drive and the difference between the TL and MP5 is night and day as to be expected. The TL is more luxury than sport and I knew this going in. It's not built to 0-60 fast or taking the corners at excellerated speeds. It is what it is, a luxury car with a hint of sport. FWIW I looked to see if the overboosted power steering could be adjusted so there isn't so much boost. I goggled and found one guy who did this to his Lexus but it was a lot of work and he was an engineer type. It is near impossible to adjust the boost on our TL's.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:02 AM
5th Gear

thanks for doing a search on this topic...i think this overboosted steering is gonna be a deal breaker for me...i cant stand it...the car goes all over the place on the not so perfect roads.

iam gonna speak to a tech at the acura dealer and see what they come up with...otherwise i might think german autos...

thanks for all your input fellas.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
this is how honda steering has always been, it actually results in a very responsive car and smooth steering motion
Old 11-03-2004, 03:21 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Honda's are not known for their steering feel - that includes the NSX and the S2000, both of which i have owned and driven day to day and on the track.

The TL's PS bootst is indexed to its market - the "near-luxury class"; it is not a defect - many people want an effortless steering feel in a luxo car, and remember that more than 50% of cars are purchased by women, who have less upper body strength, long fingernails etc.

All of these are figured into the designs of the wheel, the interior switchgear, and any number of design details.

The brakes are over-boosted as well, yet they have better feel than my brother's E55 AMG. I look at a car's overall balance - and the engine heavily weighs into that equation, and on that account the TL, like nearly all Hondas, scores a 10 in my book.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:21 PM
5th Gear

man...i really like the car...but just cant get over the overboosted steering (light)...it kinda has a deadzone...a little too much play.

i test drove it a third time...still cant get over the steering.

damn.