lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004 | 08:58 PM
7th Gear

lemon?

i have a 04 tl with 1500 miles on it that has all the vibration issues and my bluetooth has locked up three times. anyone lemon law'd this vehicle.
Old 08-20-2004 | 09:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Welcome to the forum.

Lemon law? Without knowing more details, your situation doesn't look like issues.

What vibration do you have?

Could you describe a little bit about your HFL locked-up?

Old 08-20-2004 | 09:14 PM
7th Gear

i have the same tire/ drivetrain vibration that has become a major topic on this site. and the bluetooth locks up so that it says phone no matter what. it does not matter if the phone is on or off or if the phone is at home. i have had it to the dealer 3 times for the bluetooth and twice for the vibrations, he replaced the tires and it did nothing, he said that the drivetrain is the issue and that acura does not have a fix yet. the bluetoth module has been replaced and the same problems come back. i'm sorry i bought this car!!
Old 08-20-2004 | 09:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I'm not defending Acura... but...

I'm sorry to know this.

But I'd say this is not "lemon" yet. Without more issues, I don't expect your bad-luck 04TL would qualify "lemon". However, I do wish you find a way to get rid of the car you dislike.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86336

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87628
Old 08-22-2004 | 06:43 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by rrochlin
i have a 04 tl with 1500 miles on it that has all the vibration issues and my bluetooth has locked up three times. anyone lemon law'd this vehicle.
Yeah..you got a lemon!!
Old 08-22-2004 | 08:42 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

rrochlin - Whether you truly have a "lemon" is debatable. That's the stuff that keeps lawyers employed. You should read your "lemon" laws here first:

http://www.nationallemonlawcenter.com/

For Florida (my assumption of your location), you'll probably be most interested in Section 681.104.

Another Florida Lemon Law definition that you will be interested in (from Section 681.102):
"(16) "Nonconformity" means a defect or condition that substantially impairs the use, value, or safety of a motor vehicle, but does not include a defect or condition that results from an accident, abuse, neglect, modification, or alteration of the motor vehicle by persons other than the manufacturer or its authorized service agent."

Do your problems meet this definition? In your opinion, the answer may be "Yes!", but the courts may believe differently. How much is "substantially impairs"?

Anyways, if you want to take advantage of the Lemon Law in your area, you will need to take your TL in for multiple repair attempts for the same problem (looks like 3 times for the same repair in Florida, which mean it has to fail 4 times) within the specified Lemon Law time frame.

You say that the Bluetooth has locked up on you 3 times, have you taken it to the dealership for repair each of those times (with the Bluetooth still locked-up), and has the dealership replaced your HFL module each of those times? If you want to take advantage of the Lemon Laws in your state, you will need to start keeping documentation.

As best as I can determine (I'm not a lawyer, so check with a lawyer if you really want to pursue this): You need to find a service department that acknowledges detecting the failure on their repair receipt. They will have to detect the failure and attempt a repair of the problem. You will need to bring it back to them and have them detect and document the same problem three additional times (in Florida) for you to have a "lemon".

One thing to keep in mind is that if the dealership can't document reproducing the problem, you probably won't get any "Lemon Law" credit for bringing it in for repair that time. Just because you report the problem to them may not legally mean that you have a problem - they are "professionals", which may give them more weight in court when determining if you really have a problem. To give your case strength, you will need documented proof by professionals that your problems exist. Also, if it's a "quick fix" where the dealership just pulls the battery cable for a few seconds to clear a problem, make sure that they document it on your receipt.

So, if your Bluetooth locks up again, don't clear the problem yourself by pulling the battery cable. Take it in to the dealership, and let them pull the battery cable - and document the failure.

Again, I'm not a lawyer. If you want legal advice, call your attourney on this. I'm just trying to help give you some ideas on what you'll probably need to do to win on this if you really want to pursue it.
Old 08-22-2004 | 10:34 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by rrochlin
have you tried a diffeerent dealer? i would do that first.
Old 08-22-2004 | 11:23 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by nick04tl
have you tried a diffeerent dealer? i would do that first.
Yah, you may try this. My original dealer couldn't fix some of my rattles, then, I tried another one, rattles were amazingly fixed.

GotJazz, another great one...
Old 08-23-2004 | 01:08 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Originally Posted by rets
GotJazz, another great one...
Thanks, rets! I take this title of "Cesspool of Knowledge" stuff seriously, y'know!
Old 08-23-2004 | 01:00 PM
Burning Brakes

I am pleased to report that I have successfully Lemon'd my dear Maxwell. I don't have the new one yet only due to the fact that they are trying to find another ABP/Navi.

It's been a year of hell, but I'm happy Acura is finally doing it.

So I have a question.. if I get a new one, and it's identical, do I have to name it something different or can I still call him Maxwell..

Cracker, Watson, Sherlock, Maxwell... ???????
Old 08-23-2004 | 01:08 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by Sherlock
I am pleased to report that I have successfully Lemon'd my dear Maxwell. I don't have the new one yet only due to the fact that they are trying to find another ABP/Navi.

So I have a question.. if I get a new one, and it's identical, do I have to name it something different or can I still call him Maxwell..

How is Maxwell version 2.0? Congrats on the new car Sherlock, you definitely deserve it.

Also, GotJazz...very comprehensive post above.
Old 08-23-2004 | 01:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Good news... but you should also post here... http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showp...23&postcount=4

How's about Maxwell Jr.? Get 05 ASAP.

Congratulations.
Old 08-24-2004 | 09:07 AM
Burning Brakes

I don't have the new TL yet. But they have agreed to do it so I know it's coming, I'm just being patient at this point.

I figure: A) These are all free miles right now on Maxwell, Sr under the lemon law.
B) It's all free wear
C) The longer this goes on, the more chances of getting an 05. He said I'd have to pay any diff in price if it goes up, so we'll see.
D) now that it is happening, I get a new car, 12 months newer, 0 miles, and I've already made 12 car payments on it
E) If the driver's window squeaks, or the car vibrates I'm going to cry right there during the test drive.

ooooooo how about Poirot, to stick with my theme.. *g* (lets see how many heads that one goes over)
Old 08-24-2004 | 09:13 AM
Shift_faster

ooooooo how about Poirot, to stick with my theme.. *g* (lets see how many heads that one goes over)
I'll start the count. Since that one went over my head...1.
Old 08-24-2004 | 09:15 AM
Advanced

I'd stay away from Poirot, given the fact that his secretary was Felicity LEMON!
Old 08-24-2004 | 09:31 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by golfingguru
I'd stay away from Poirot, given the fact that his secretary was Felicity LEMON!
Lol, beat me to the punch.
Old 08-27-2007 | 10:41 AM
Advanced

I don't have the new TL yet. But they have agreed to do it so I know it's coming, I'm just being patient at this point.

I figure: A) These are all free miles right now on Maxwell, Sr under the lemon law.
B) It's all free wear
C) The longer this goes on, the more chances of getting an 05. He said I'd have to pay any diff in price if it goes up, so we'll see.
D) now that it is happening, I get a new car, 12 months newer, 0 miles, and I've already made 12 car payments on it
E) If the driver's window squeaks, or the car vibrates I'm going to cry right there during the test drive.

this is the same exact problem i am having on my 07 TL, did you ever get the new car?please message me
Old 08-27-2007 | 11:29 AM
Advanced

rrochlin, I am going thru the lemon proccess myself and I've got a lot of good info on this forum. Fellow Azners ChicagoBurbs gave me a lot of good pointers. To see if you have a lemon or not, I would suggest to visit the Better Business Bureau and read about the lemon law in your state. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and myself.