Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leasing questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leasing questions

Hi my bro is currently leasing a TL and i didn't think about the performance aspect of that car until i came across this forums. I have to say "WOOOW" there are some cool things you do to this car.

When you lease a car how restricted are you to putting after market stuff on it?
When you return the car how extensive is the inspection?
Will we get penalized for haveing after market stuff on it?

Can we go through the dealer to get performance thing put on?

Im thing of put these parts on.
-Thermo intake spacer
-Cooled Air Intake or just high flow filter
-exhaust
Old 09-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by n00blike
Hi my bro is currently leasing a TL and i didn't think about the performance aspect of that car until i came across this forums. I have to say "WOOOW" there are some cool things you do to this car.

When you lease a car how restricted are you to putting after market stuff on it?
When you return the car how extensive is the inspection?
Will we get penalized for haveing after market stuff on it?

Can we go through the dealer to get performance thing put on?

Im thing of put these parts on.
-Thermo intake spacer
-Cooled Air Intake or just high flow filter
-exhaust
If you're leasing a car, you shouldn't do anything to modify it. When you return the car, it has to be absolutely stock. If you add an intake or exhaust, for example, the dealer will charge you to remove the modifications and reinstall the stock components. Or you will have to remove them yourself, at which time you'll have a bunch of parts for a TL and no car to put them on. You can go through whoever to have the mods put on but they will expect the car to be in original factory configuration when you turn it in.

Seriously, if you're leasing a car, you're throwing money away moding it.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:14 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I'm leasing my 07 tl and I'm still going to mod it. I got it in June and the only thing I might change back to stock is the Fujita cai. Everything else should be fine.
List of mods so far:
Fujita cai
stage 3 exhaust
Type-s Grill, side markers, and tail lights
A-spec front lip
TB spacer on the way

Future mods:
Progress RSB
A-spec rear lip
maybe A-spec suspension

It's the same as if you bought the car, modded it, and traded it three years later. What's the difference. I'm sure I'll be able to sell the cai when I turn the car in.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Used TL performance mods go fast in the Black Market section here

Do what you want as long as you save every original part and can put it all back on stock perfect-take pics and save for referance- the dealer is getting a deal since the cat and more will be like new

Something like a thermoblock you could leave as a bonus for the next guy- but remove the exhaust mods and CAI, aftermarket wheels and shocks- put the OE low mileage rims and tires back on it

Get a clearbra now for the front and protect the paint- they really ~nick~ you for that damage at lease end
Its your car for 3 or 4 years so enjoy it!
Old 09-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Intermediate

or buy it at the end of the lease and dont worry about modding.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:16 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Lease End Inspection

From a previous thead on a similar question:

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
.... Acura began to send me lease end "how to" mail ~ 6 months before the lease was up. With about 2 months to go I got a call from the Inspection Service that Acura outsources this to. The dealership had NOTHING to do with the process.

Ours was an '02 TL-S that we leased for 39 months, then extended twice for 12 months each (5 yrs, 3 mo total).

They set up an appointment and came to me. The guy had a Palm type device with a pretty comprehensive check list. The material Acura sent said to have my service records available, but he never asked for them.

He did a comprehensive visual inspection, took pictures of everything and used the "dent and scratch" template to evaluate various dings, etc.

He ran the engine, checked the mileage, checked tire tread, checked all lights, radio, etc. Just making sure everything worked. He did not drive the car.

Our car was well used but in good condition - no torn seats, dirty but untorn carpeting, 1 or 2 small dings/dents, a few paint chips on the front bumper, 1 fairly large scuff on the front bumper and 1 dent in the deck lid about an inch long but down to the metal.

That last dent was the only one that counted as more than "wear and tear" and the estimated repair cost was well under the $1500 allowance.

I got an instant printed report. IIRC, the report said the MOST I would have to pay was $270 for excessive wear and tear. Whole thing took ~45 minutes to an hour.

A couple weeks later I got a formal report from Acura and my amount due for damage was $0.00.

At this point we had not committed to dispostion of the car and Acura had no idea if we would buy it out or turn it in. The dealership was not involved AT ALL.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Intermediate

sweet thanks for the replies