Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lease a demo TL?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 09:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lease a demo TL?

So I am getting a demo TL tomorrow night and was wondering ... can you lease a car that has been a demo?

The reason I ask is because the demo is exactly like the one I want, but it has a Nav (don't really need that). So what I am wondering is maybe getting a bit more off the price of the car (being a demo) might help me get a Navi for "cheap".

Would you guys do this? Since it's a lease ... thinking all the concerns about longevity of a demo car vanish, but not sure it's possible or worth it. Thoughts?
Old 04-08-2005, 09:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Months ago...

Hard to say. I never consider to have 04 Demo...

How's about the conditions of the car? If they could provide the additional cut (a few thousands off), it would sound pretty good to me.. IMO.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Advanced

If they give you a price break and you lease within the warranty, why not??
If you were to puchase, then it would be a different answer.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Just what I was thinking ... might be a way to get a Nav w/o paying much more ... I'll let you guys know how it goes tomorrow.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:03 PM
Racer

My previous car ('02 Maxima) was a leased demo. It had about 3500 miles on it when I got it. They told me the warranty started from the date and milage I got it. I didn't think they took enough off the price but at that time Maximas with Navi were almost impossible to find but I didn't want to buy it without it.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:45 AM
Intermediate

ehhh...lease prices are usually based on the residual value of the car, so the price break probably won't even be worth it. i think you just might be better off paying a little bit more to finance a demo instead. being obligated to a lease sucks
Old 04-09-2005, 06:57 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Actually the residual value of the demo will be the same as a new car but the dealer will have to give you a break on the cap cost on the lease after all the car was "used". A buddy of mine got offered a lease on a fully loaded 05 530i demo with 6000 mile on it. He was offered it at $630 per month inlcdg taxes. He asked me to run the numbers and we found out that the residual was based on the msrp as new. Plus the dealer was doing the lease at their invoice price (i.e. no markup). I told him to go back and tell them he wanted to pay under invoice after all the car had 6000 miles on it. They accepted $575/month.

Provench you shld be able to get a break on a demo TL. However they are selling very well so a break on a TL might mean at invoice not under... Good luck.

Dumont
Old 04-09-2005, 07:45 AM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The salesman is going to tell you it's almost brand new, but don't believe it. A demo is often used for a lot of people (sales manager, secretary, friends, futur customer etc...), sometimes the milage isn't real (they know how to disconnect the reading)

Deal the price as if you bought the car brand new and you need to resale it after 5000 miles and few months old. I think you will loose almost 140 to 15 % of the car value. Try to take off almost 10% off to the MSRP. I did it on an accord demo with no problem.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:04 PM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
never get a demo...

ppl drive demo cars just like rape them...
Old 04-09-2005, 08:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Well - as it turns out the demo has quartz interior which I don't want

Oh well ... I have a salesman that has worked magic on all 4 of my previous Acura's ... have a 6MT overnight loaner right now and by Monday AM he will be able to tell me how soon he can get my Antracite (or SSM)/Ebony/6MT/Non-Navi ... cross your fingers.

P.S. This car is badazz ... never drive one until today and I am blown away. Drove both the 6MT and 5AT ... both are respectable, but the 6MT has that extra snap all the way through the RPM range
Old 04-10-2005, 02:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Hey provench....welcome to the TL side (again). Are you giving up the TSX or is this car an addition to your stable?

Too bad the demo didn't work out.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Hey provench....welcome to the TL side (again). Are you giving up the TSX or is this car an addition to your stable?
Heh. Was wondering how he had 7,400+ posts and hadn't bought a TL yet.

My question is "Leith or Performance"? I won't play the games that Leith throws at you so I bought at Performance.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:27 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Yeah - trading in the TSX ... had it for about 2 years now. Very good car, but I really miss having a V-6 (althought the TSX I4 is the best I have been in).

EpiK - Yeah man ... I had a CLS and was in early on acura-cl.com, then when I got my TSX really helped soopa get acura-tsx.com (now tsx.acurazine) get going. Been hangin around here since late 2000 in some form or fashion I am going thru Leith Acura because they have never done me wrong, but I think that is in large part to having a long time friend of the family having sold me my Acura's from there. In addition, I personally have had great luck with both the business office and more importantly the service dept.

Tomorrow AM is when I'll find out when my combo (SSM/Ebony/6MT/non-navi) can be avail ... crossing my fingers it's next week. If I didn't mind SSM/Quartz they have that on the lot for me to pickup tomorrow ... hmmm ! (but I think I'll be at least a bit patient )
Old 04-11-2005, 09:58 AM
Instructor

It must be your "IN" over there at Leith. That always helps. I had gone over to Leith first because they were closer and was dealing with a sales guy that seemed OK. I gave him my price and he "went to see his manager." At which point I got up to go to the bathroom, and as I was walking by the manager's office, I heard the manager tell my sales guy say word for word "You can't take his first price, go back out there and negotiate". So I walked into the office and told my sales guy "I don't play games. Your manager just cost you a sale and commission." and walked out. Performance accepted my same offer on the spot.

I also agree with you. Wait for the Ebony. Grey interior just doesn't do it for me unless the car is white...
Old 04-11-2005, 12:55 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by EpiK
Heh. Was wondering how he had 7,400+ posts and hadn't bought a TL yet.

My question is "Leith or Performance"? I won't play the games that Leith throws at you so I bought at Performance.
Originally Posted by EpiK
It must be your "IN" over there at Leith. That always helps. I had gone over to Leith first because they were closer and was dealing with a sales guy that seemed OK. I gave him my price and he "went to see his manager." At which point I got up to go to the bathroom, and as I was walking by the manager's office, I heard the manager tell my sales guy say word for word "You can't take his first price, go back out there and negotiate". So I walked into the office and told my sales guy "I don't play games. Your manager just cost you a sale and commission." and walked out. Performance accepted my same offer on the spot.

I also agree with you. Wait for the Ebony. Grey interior just doesn't do it for me unless the car is white...

Actually did not have good experience with either Dealerships in the Triangle Area...I got mine from Hendrick Acura in Charlotte...from what I was told they are the only dealers in the Carolinas that deal with Acura directly (all these other dealers...Flow,Leith,Performance etc) buy their cars from Hedrick...Performace Acura in chapel hill actually is owned by the Hendrick Group. But as Epik says if you have "IN" @ Leith then you are good to go...neways Good Luck...WE guys can do a "MEET" or something now that I know of atleast 5 owners on this forum from the Triangle

QQ: Did any of you guys deal with Tint shops in the triangle? if so which ones and how much did you pay...I got quoted aroun $400 for ceramic tints by Formula One...
Old 04-11-2005, 05:09 PM
Instructor

I haven't tinted the windows yet, although it's "on my list". NBP just screams for tinting...
Old 10-18-2005, 09:49 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm curious who your contact is at Leith. I sold cars there from '94-'96 and assume most of the guys are still there. Would you mind dropping names?
Old 10-18-2005, 02:47 PM
Instructor

I wouldn't buy a demo car...they get beat on.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:09 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
This is a moot point in your case since you're not going to get it now, but just my .02 nonetheless.

Leasing a demo vehicle could turn out to be a fantastic deal.

Pros:
1. You won't have to worry about problems with the car caused by abusive driving, because it's not your car. If the problem(s) is recurring, then it will no longer be your problem when you return the car.
2. Warranty starts on the day you buy the vehicle from the current mileage. If it has 6,000 miles, then your warranty will run out at 56,000 miles.
3. Residual value is the same for a demo vehicle and your ordinary "new car". This means that if you are able to get a great price on the demo vehicle, then you will pay a lot less for the same length of terms as you would with a new car. Let's compare a new car to a demo vehicle. Let's say you have a quote for a new TL for 35,000 dollars, and a quote for 30,000 dollars for a demo vehicle. Residual value are the same (assuming they are the same model years) at, say, 55% after 3 years. This means you will pay for 45% of the respective prices, at 15750 for a new car, or 13500 for the demo vehicle; or 437.50 and 375, respectively. And these will be the same cars, with same overall length and mileage on the warranty coverage. There might be problems with the car already from being driven, but as I said, they are not your problems. The warranty will take care of that, and any non-warranty problems will be taken care of by the dealership. And there are usually some perks with buying a demo vehicle.

The proper first step would be to find out the used car price of the demo vehicle you're looking at. www.edmunds.com would be a great source; go to the used section and get an appraisal based on the mileage present on the car. A little bit above that will be your target price, not the new car price "with a few bucks off" for being a demo vehicle.

Cons:
1. It's used and abused, like your typical 2-dollar whore.
2. You won't get the new car feeling depending on how much it has been driven, at least not as much as you would with a real new car.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:29 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
This is a moot point in your case since you're not going to get it now, but just my .02 nonetheless.

Leasing a demo vehicle could turn out to be a fantastic deal.

Pros:
1. You won't have to worry about problems with the car caused by abusive driving, because it's not your car. If the problem(s) is recurring, then it will no longer be your problem when you return the car.
2. Warranty starts on the day you buy the vehicle from the current mileage. If it has 6,000 miles, then your warranty will run out at 56,000 miles.
3. Residual value is the same for a demo vehicle and your ordinary "new car". This means that if you are able to get a great price on the demo vehicle, then you will pay a lot less for the same length of terms as you would with a new car. Let's compare a new car to a demo vehicle. Let's say you have a quote for a new TL for 35,000 dollars, and a quote for 30,000 dollars for a demo vehicle. Residual value are the same (assuming they are the same model years) at, say, 55% after 3 years. This means you will pay for 45% of the respective prices, at 15750 for a new car, or 13500 for the demo vehicle; or 437.50 and 375, respectively. And these will be the same cars, with same overall length and mileage on the warranty coverage. There might be problems with the car already from being driven, but as I said, they are not your problems. The warranty will take care of that, and any non-warranty problems will be taken care of by the dealership. And there are usually some perks with buying a demo vehicle.

The proper first step would be to find out the used car price of the demo vehicle you're looking at. www.edmunds.com would be a great source; go to the used section and get an appraisal based on the mileage present on the car. A little bit above that will be your target price, not the new car price "with a few bucks off" for being a demo vehicle.

Cons:
1. It's used and abused, like your typical 2-dollar whore.
2. You won't get the new car feeling depending on how much it has been driven, at least not as much as you would with a real new car.
Real good advice here. One other point: Not everyone that has driven the demo abused it. It has certainly been used for test drives, but one of the sales managers would be using it to commute most of the time.