Sponsored by:

latest mod - CF hood

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 04:52 PM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
latest mod - CF hood

I just got a double sided carbon fiber hood from versus:

for some reason installation took like 2.5 hours..i guess the latch had to be modified for it to close properly...

it looks clean and fits almost perfect..it sits a bit high but i'm sure that can be adjusted.

oh and the pics are from my brothers SLR with a panoramic lens

Old 12-03-2006, 04:55 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow man that is super hot. Could you take some pics of it when the hood is open? Like the underside of it. How much lighter is it than the stocker??

Sweet man.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:01 PM
I (don't) whine.

here it is, you can see the latch had to be modified..

Old 12-03-2006, 05:04 PM
Pro

can you not hook the hood struts to it??
Old 12-03-2006, 07:12 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Nope...you sure cant. You could use some aftermarket ones if you wanted to...but you would have to retrofit them to the hood and they would have to be WAY ligher sprung. The weight difference is so drastic....you really cant use the OEM ones...plus....not sure if his was like mine...(same hood on my car)....they filled the holes in where the connecting nipple would screw in...thus making it harder to impossible to use em. I got mine used...so there was no instructions...but they may have said not to use em at all. Most Carbon Fiber hoods dont want you to use em as they add uneeded stress to the hood causing possible cracking or splitting...but these are made with the OEM underlayment skeleton...so they are somewhat more durable than many. Looks good buddy! Welcome to the CF hood club!
Old 12-03-2006, 07:59 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
That looks horrible.

Actually, i'm your biggest fan of that modification and im just kidding it looks pretty good on that anthracite. I wish the underside of my cf hood looked like yours.

Whats next for your car...i keep thinking you're done and then you post up with a massive mod like a cf hood.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sickkkkkk whip bro....
Old 12-03-2006, 09:46 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Very nice look!! we gotta do a mini meet soon.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Received 1,004 Likes on 574 Posts
This thread has been moved to the proper forum. Please read The "Modifications" in "Performance Parts & Modifications" announcement at the top of the Performance Parts & Modifications subforum for a full explanation.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:03 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Btw....What did you have to modify about the latch? Mine looked like they had to open a whole for the safety latch to catch on...but other than that...all adjustments should have been down at the grille level at the actual latch hold-down mechanism....you had to lower it quite a bit to make the front end come down to level...plus....I actually had to shim the backside up a bit to match the body lines...but it all took about ten minutes.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:29 PM
I pimp an Audi A4.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just got a cf hood myself (on my audi tho) i need to find something to keep my hood open.. any suggestions?
Old 12-03-2006, 11:35 PM
tehLEGOman

oh and by the way i've got a copy of the honda tuning magazine that has the install of the supercharger in your TL. shits phat son.

Hows the hondata reflash holding up?
Old 12-03-2006, 11:36 PM
tehLEGOman

Originally Posted by pimpravi
i just got a cf hood myself (on my audi tho) i need to find something to keep my hood open.. any suggestions?
your A4 looks pretty sick in that avator. I love audis.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:47 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

I use a very long pry bar (angled huge standard screwdriver basically)....but I have been looking for an adjustable temp prop rod. Its probably 30" long or so? Got a real cheapie from Pep Boys just for that use.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:43 AM
Pro

nice ride good to see something different
Old 12-04-2006, 12:47 AM
Pro

nice ride good to see something different
Old 12-04-2006, 03:37 AM
GO NOLES!

Your car looks sick man,,,I love the wheels!
Old 12-04-2006, 09:42 AM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pimpravi
Check out Lokar website. They have a really sweet billit hood prop. Its at the bottom of the page.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:44 AM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ussi
I just got a double sided carbon fiber hood from versus:

for some reason installation took like 2.5 hours..i guess the latch had to be modified for it to close properly...

it looks clean and fits almost perfect..it sits a bit high but i'm sure that can be adjusted.

oh and the pics are from my brothers SLR with a panoramic lens

BTW, what did it run for the hood. It looks sharp. This is one of the things I want to do. It's on my to do list.

Jason
Old 12-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Pro

you can probably adjust the bump stops for it to sit lower, which is very very easy to do.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:47 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
They make struts for Alum hoods, so you can no doubtly use it for a CF hood. Alum hoods have more change to bend/etc with them compared to CF. Maybe the RL ones will work since it has a Alum hood? You can make brackets that work. I know people on the G35 forums that have Alum hoods and we found a way to get TEIN (I think the brand was) for hood struts.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:35 PM
I (don't) whine.

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
That looks horrible.

Actually, i'm your biggest fan of that modification and im just kidding it looks pretty good on that anthracite. I wish the underside of my cf hood looked like yours.

Whats next for your car...i keep thinking you're done and then you post up with a massive mod like a cf hood.
lets see..this week i'll prolly get a custom bend for my intake (finally!) then the only things left on my list are the boost cooler and SC pulley. Well till i start to get bored again lol
Old 12-04-2006, 12:39 PM
I (don't) whine.

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Btw....What did you have to modify about the latch? Mine looked like they had to open a whole for the safety latch to catch on...but other than that...all adjustments should have been down at the grille level at the actual latch hold-down mechanism....you had to lower it quite a bit to make the front end come down to level...plus....I actually had to shim the backside up a bit to match the body lines...but it all took about ten minutes.
i don't think the latch was long enough for the hold down mechanism to grab it..it looks like they had to cut it and extend it... they did mess up my front grill a bit...a couple drops of solder or whatever they used dripped on the grill next to the acura emblem... the shop said they'll replace it..but isn't it part of the entire bumper???
Old 12-04-2006, 12:46 PM
I (don't) whine.

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
They make struts for Alum hoods, so you can no doubtly use it for a CF hood. Alum hoods have more change to bend/etc with them compared to CF. Maybe the RL ones will work since it has a Alum hood? You can make brackets that work. I know people on the G35 forums that have Alum hoods and we found a way to get TEIN (I think the brand was) for hood struts.
i didn't know hood struts would work with this hood!! tein huh? i'll have to look into it.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:59 PM
Safety Car

i don't think the latch was long enough for the hold down mechanism to grab it..it looks like they had to cut it and extend it... they did mess up my front grill a bit...a couple drops of solder or whatever they used dripped on the grill next to the acura emblem... the shop said they'll replace it..but isn't it part of the entire bumper???
I would be worried if that hook they extended breaks off on you and the hood slams into the windshield since they now weakend the integretity of it.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:02 PM
Safety Car

http://www.tein.com/hooddamp.html

Easy-to-Install!

HOOD DAMPER is designed to be installed without any modification to the vehicle, so that many users can install by themselves. All needed is some simple tools!
'Loosen bolts. Put HOOD DAMPER in place. Tighten bolts.' That's basically all there is to it. Even a person who has never worked on vehicle can install HOOD DAMPER easily and quickly without any hassle.

* For some vehicle models, resin cover needs to be cut or removed.
* Though HOOD DAMPER has been fully tested for interference with the vehicle body, it may interfere due to individual differences.
Please carefully check for any interference upon installation, and make sure there is no interference prior to use.

Lightweight & Compact

HOOD DAMPER is designed to be lightweight and compact, so that it does not get in the way of any works around the engine bay. As the main body of the damper only weights 200g and the extension that adjust the full-open angle of the hood is made of Aluminum, the product is amazingly lightweight even with all parts/components attached.

Opening-Heavy-Hood Made Easy!

Hoods are usually made of steel. The bigger the vehicle is, the heavier the hood is. Opening and closing the hood can be extremely troublesome, especially in a case of emergency for people who does not do work on his/her vehicle on regular basis. Many people want to open / close the hood much more lightly and easily. To meet such demands, TEIN has developed HOOD DAMPER.

Highly Durable!

HOOD DAMPER has met our strict quality standard and passed one hundred thousand times of Expansion & Contraction Test. In consideration of severe use conditions, as it is placed inside the engine bay, surfaces of each and every part are specially treated for corrosion-proof to stand 5 years of use.

* Proven by brine spraying tests, under the conditions regulated by TEIN, for equivalent of 5 years of general use
(by our own conversion ratio).
Old 12-04-2006, 01:05 PM
Safety Car

Some pics on the G35 Alum hood installed.

Old 12-04-2006, 01:10 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Benz has the Tein hood dampers.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:30 PM
I (don't) whine.

sweet..thanx!
Old 12-04-2006, 02:33 PM
Burning Brakes

that hood looks real nice

AccuraTein has the Tein hood dampers on his car too
Old 12-04-2006, 02:49 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by shayan

I know...and neither of us have had the guts to put it on the carbon fiber hood last I heard! They are sprung at a WAY higher rate than the OEM ones so your hood will really fly up...and thats the steel hood! Try that on CF hood and what is gonna happen.....most likely...not good! The Teins are sprung at too high of a rate to work with the CF hood. When I talked with Acuratein..he said his were just in there as prop rods more or less, as he never did get them to work. I got them to work fine....but dont have the guts to crank these high sprung Teins on the CF hood as it is so light. Now I am sure Tein makes one that is the same length with a lesser spring rating...but to date...I have not been able to find what the spring rate is on any of em....just what model its made for.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:55 PM
Pro

the Lexus IS350 has an aluminum hood. the carbon fiber hood they make for our car is jsut a few pounds lights than the stock one. im guessing you can get some stock hood dampers from an IS250 or 350 and they will work just fine.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:39 PM
I (don't) whine.

I know...and neither of us have had the guts to put it on the carbon fiber hood last I heard! They are sprung at a WAY higher rate than the OEM ones so your hood will really fly up...and thats the steel hood! Try that on CF hood and what is gonna happen.....most likely...not good! The Teins are sprung at too high of a rate to work with the CF hood. When I talked with Acuratein..he said his were just in there as prop rods more or less, as he never did get them to work. I got them to work fine....but dont have the guts to crank these high sprung Teins on the CF hood as it is so light. Now I am sure Tein makes one that is the same length with a lesser spring rating...but to date...I have not been able to find what the spring rate is on any of em....just what model its made for.
oh that sux, yeah i noticed they just listed car models and not spring rates.... so how much lighter do you think this hood is than the OEM one? i tried weighing the OEM and it weighed close to 36lbs. i didn't have a chance to weigh the CF hood cuz i didn't even take it home....
Old 12-04-2006, 03:41 PM
I (don't) whine.

Originally Posted by shayan

thanx...inshAllah you get ur IS, but its going to be an auto!
Old 12-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Safety Car

Actually it depends on the angle you put them to create how strong they will be. Like I said, Alum hoods are lighter and will bend a lot easier than CF ones. See the pics of the G35 and the angle they are at. That creates them to be less stress on the hood at that angle and they will not push it up hard either. If it was more of a 2pm-7pm angle then yes I can see that happening.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:16 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

I was noticing that and wondering the same thing. Basically...if I attached it to that point...I would take WAY more force to open the weight of a hood anyway...correct? Therefore...possibly the Teins could work under those circumstances...but not sure how fit would be....but I bet it would work. The logic behind the job is there anyway....cause you would need more force with it mounted that low anyway.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:37 PM
Burning Brakes

thanx...inshAllah you get ur IS, but its going to be an auto!
Actually, Im not getting the IS because it is costing more than 41,000 and it has everything my TL has so Im better off keeping my car. Its nice to see a Muslim on hear with a real nice ride
Old 12-04-2006, 04:51 PM
Safety Car

I was noticing that and wondering the same thing. Basically...if I attached it to that point...I would take WAY more force to open the weight of a hood anyway...correct? Therefore...possibly the Teins could work under those circumstances...but not sure how fit would be....but I bet it would work. The logic behind the job is there anyway....cause you would need more force with it mounted that low anyway.
Exactly!