Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 09:54 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the help
Old 12-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
race him from a roll, you may have a better chance... too bad there is no SC for the type S... otherwise u better slash his tired before you guys run...
Old 12-03-2007, 07:18 PM
'10 Shelby

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought the SC for the base TL fits on the Type S? What causes it to not fit?
Old 12-03-2007, 07:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
So if a 5AT 3rd gen regular tl ran 14.6 STOCK and another 14.3 with only CAI/catback/pulleys why the hell cant a 07 TL-S with all his mods run low 14's or even high 13's???
Oh wait, its DAVE_B again LOL the number 7 fastest modified G35 driver with the least mods HA HA HA. I asked you b4 and u didnt answer me. Do you even drive a TL? Do you know what ur talking about?
Old 12-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by juruki
So if a 5AT 3rd gen regular tl ran 14.6 STOCK and another 14.3 with only CAI/catback/pulleys why the hell cant a 07 TL-S with all his mods run low 14's or even high 13's???
Oh wait, its DAVE_B again LOL the number 7 fastest modified G35 driver with the least mods HA HA HA. I asked you b4 and u didnt answer me. Do you even drive a TL? Do you know what ur talking about?
Ever raced at the track? Ever take a gander at the dyno results of the mods you listed for a TL/S? Do you understand just how much power it takes to go from mid 14s to upper 13s in a 3,600lb car? Do you understand just how poorly geared the 5AT in the TL is? Do you understand that a FWD car with a decent amount of power will sit and spin while the live axle Stang will flat out plant it's rear tires are transfer most of all that power into forward momentum? A typical 60 foot for a 5AT TL is 2.3 seconds. A typical 60 foot for an 05 Stang is 2.0 seconds. That 0.3 second difference alone is worth 0.5 seconds in the 1/4 mile.

Even if his TLS were run low 14s (and by it won't), it would still get crushed by that 05 Stang if the driver knows what he's doing. Car to car, the Stang is legitmently a 1-second and 6mph faster car. Period. Sure, drivers make all the difference, but he asked which car was faster and that would be the Stang by a very wide margin.

You're going to have to try a lot harder to make me look like a fool when it comes to drag racing.

As for driving a TL, yes, I test drove 5AT and 6MT 3rd gen TLs before getting my G35. The only thing I found better about the TL was it's interior. Styling wasn't bad either, but the G had a lot more styling options.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dave_B
Ever raced at the track? Ever take a gander at the dyno results of the mods you listed for a TL/S? Do you understand just how much power it takes to go from mid 14s to upper 13s in a 3,600lb car? Do you understand just how poorly geared the 5AT in the TL is? Do you understand that a FWD car with a decent amount of power will sit and spin while the live axle Stang will flat out plant it's rear tires are transfer most of all that power into forward momentum? A typical 60 foot for a 5AT TL is 2.3 seconds. A typical 60 foot for an 05 Stang is 2.0 seconds. That 0.3 second difference alone is worth 0.5 seconds in the 1/4 mile.

Even if his TLS were run low 14s (and by it won't), it would still get crushed by that 05 Stang if the driver knows what he's doing. Car to car, the Stang is legitmently a 1-second and 6mph faster car. Period. Sure, drivers make all the difference, but he asked which car was faster and that would be the Stang by a very wide margin.

You're going to have to try a lot harder to make me look like a fool when it comes to drag racing.

As for driving a TL, yes, I test drove 5AT and 6MT 3rd gen TLs before getting my G35. The only thing I found better about the TL was it's interior. Styling wasn't bad either, but the G had a lot more styling options.
Im not saying the TL will beat the mustang, i never said that. But you are always saying the TL is slow, you said the TL-S with those mods wont go faster than 14.6 at the 1/4 mile. If a stock regular 5AT TL gets 14.6-14.8 then why cant a 07 TL-S with almost the same weight and more HP torque with a bigger engine and MODDED be faster than 14.6? What am i missing here?
No TL can be faster than ur 14.3 G35 right? Because yours is a RWD blah blah blah. Why do you even post here? you always pop out talking about how slow the TL is and how FWD cars suck at everything.

Edit: test drive the 07-08 TL-S
Old 12-04-2007, 12:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Im not saying the TL will beat the mustang, i never said that. But you are always saying the TL is slow, you said the TL-S with those mods wont go faster than 14.6 at the 1/4 mile. If a stock regular 5AT TL gets 14.6-14.8 then why cant a 07 TL-S with almost the same weight and more HP torque with a bigger engine and MODDED be faster than 14.6? What am i missing here?
No TL can be faster than ur 14.3 G35 right? Because yours is a RWD blah blah blah. Why do you even post here? you always pop out talking about how slow the TL is and how FWD cars suck at everything.
Edit: You test drove a regular TL not the 07-08 Type-S...
Old 12-04-2007, 05:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by oneslowtl
I never said there was a problem with a 19 year old owning a 335i (beautiful car) nor did I say I had beef with a 17 year old owning a TL-S. My initial problem was that he made a comment about one of his PEERS being a cocky little high school kid when the OP is just that, a spoiled kid with a nice car (that I still maintain is slower than any mustang GT, let alone a 410 bhp monster).

Like Dave_b said, there's no shame in having wealthy parents (or parents who are willing work their asses off to pay for their kids $35k sports sedan), but to claim that you are doing it on your own is ludicrous and just plain disrepect to your parents. If you do own the car, and are making the payments, paying insurance, and covering your own gas at your age then chances are you are living hand to mouth. Sure the prospect of owning a 300 hp Bavarian monster was tempting at 19, and if I worked REAL hard, I could make it happen. But what was even more exciting to me at the time was getting a university degree, and having career prospects for the future, having people respect you for you, not you for the badge on your car (that you either live for, or your wealthy parents bought for you). To each is his own I guess...
amen! respect to ya...my dad bought the TL for my mom, but she started going to work w/ my dad (we own restaurants around seattle). so the TL just sat there in the garage at home; i "inherited" her sort of speak...
Old 12-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Oh Hullow

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
lol this thread is absurd... bottom line stock for stock you would have your hands full with the the 'stang... once modded they respond a lot better to them than our tl's do... you are pretty much looking at a waste of gas...ps enjoy your brand new ride and your life... (no im not much older) but you seem to have a bright future just based on the ride you are able to drive at such a young age (parents help or not) no need to get your license cut up for racing/destroying your car/dying/killing someone else (there is my preaching for one day) haha ...and here i am thinkin i was the man for finally being able to buy an 02 tl-s at age 18 then i read this thread. ...to the OP .. keep your ride clean and stay out of trouble haha.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:54 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts

On top of that the TL would smoke the new G35 on a proper track (ie with corners) even though it's FWD..but then what's next? Oh, it's only one source, one track, so it doesn't count.....I guess nothing counts unless the winner is the G35 eh?
Old 12-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Burning Brakes

stock vs stock.. g35 will beat a TL. its just a fact.. we all know FWD.. is a POS. u cant launch for shit with a FWD. well i test drove all these car in a past month or so. i first test drove a 08 TL-S/ 08 IS350/ 08 335i/ 07 g35. IMO i think the g35 is quicker than the TL-S. but if we are talkin about interior TL-S > g35
Old 12-04-2007, 08:43 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

^ no doubt, TL is going to be slower than the G35, unless it's the TL-S. Even then, from a dig, like Dave B said, the G35 will beat the TL-S, but from a roll, it will be closer, but it will still be a bit quicker. But that then just shows how good the handling of the TL-S is for it to beat the G35 on Willow Springs by 2 whole seconds.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Dude everyone and their moms have a G35. My friend has one, my girlfriend has one, my sister has it too plus three more at work. Here in cali they are everywhere. You think i never played around with them?
From a 50 mph roll i always pull 1 to 2 cars till 100-110 mph. I ran my friend's G35 with a INJEN CAI 3 times with similar results . From a dig he gets the jump but by 2nd gear im screaming at his door and pull away in third. Those are the times that we actually went out to a safe place to test my new TL-S against his 05 G35 with CAI. He also raced me when he was driving my sisters G and i smoked him too. Weird huh?
Old 12-05-2007, 02:04 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

^ watch out juruki! Someone will say, "oh those results don't count since they were not done on a proper track." Or better yet, "Oh those drivers just don't know how to drive their cars properly."

And then I find it funny how people would ignore the 3 videos on youtube of TL-S vs IS350 on a PROPER track where the 2 were pretty much equal (within 1/2 car length each and every race, with or without camera guy). And the last time I checked IS350 is faster than the G35 in the 1/4mile run and 0-60 run. Oh, wait, these were not valid because the countdown (3,2,1 go) was too fast? whoa, what a lame excuse eh?
Old 12-05-2007, 10:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Im not saying the TL will beat the mustang, i never said that.
Ok.

But you are always saying the TL is slow, you said the TL-S with those mods wont go faster than 14.6 at the 1/4 mile. If a stock regular 5AT TL gets 14.6-14.8 then why cant a 07 TL-S with almost the same weight and more HP torque with a bigger engine and MODDED be faster than 14.6? What am i missing here?
I'm not saying the TL is "slow", but the overall numbers suggest that it is slower then it's competition like the 1st gen G35. Like I've said numerous times on this site, I'm not talking about what are the best times for a TL. I'm talking the overall averages. If that were the case, I'd be claiming all stock 6MT G35 sedans would be running 13.8s@101mph or the 5ATs running 14.1s@99mph like two people have done. That is not realistic. Way too many people on this site swing from the nuts of about 3 guys that have pulled off some impressive numbers with their TLs and it becomes gospel that TLs run these numbers. Look at the overall numbers and you'll see a very different picture painted. It's fine if you want to believe that TLs consistently run these times, but you're only fooling yourself if you believe that is the norm. I know what I've read on this site, the mags, and seen personnally on the track the same day I was racing.

As for why I'm on this site, I like to become knowlegable about the competition and I like to see what works on their cars and see if I can maybe apply it to my car. Maybe I'm also here to be a voice of reason.

I don't need to drive a TL-S because I know how it will drive. According to the 1/4 mile times I've seen on this site and the mags, I don't see much improvement in the numbers. I focus a lot on trapspeed which is an indicator of HP and the TL-S posts the very similiar traps speeds as the lower powered TL. Apparently the weight gain in the TL-S overset much of the additional power. The TL-S isn't slower, but it's definitely not significantly quicker than the standard model.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Dude everyone and their moms have a G35. My friend has one, my girlfriend has one, my sister has it too plus three more at work. Here in cali they are everywhere. You think i never played around with them?
From a 50 mph roll i always pull 1 to 2 cars till 100-110 mph. I ran my friend's G35 with a INJEN CAI 3 times with similar results . From a dig he gets the jump but by 2nd gear im screaming at his door and pull away in third. Those are the times that we actually went out to a safe place to test my new TL-S against his 05 G35 with CAI. He also raced me when he was driving my sisters G and i smoked him too. Weird huh?
Why does it matter if a lot of people have G35s? When I lived in Atlanta, G35s were everywhere and there weren't many TLs. Here in Kansas City, TLs are everywhere and there are hardly any G35s. I chalk that up to the fact that people here in the Midwest a terrified to drive RWD to the snow.

That's great you've had all these street kills against these G35s. One thing that stands out though, is I don't see ANY 1/4 mile times listed for your car nor anywhere on this site. Street kills and legit strip times are two entirely different things. It is quite easy to beat a 13-second car if you just a 0.5 second quicker reaction time. At the strip, reaction time is recorded and you'll see the real truth as to which car is truely faster.

BTW, tell your friends to remove those CAI's from their G35s because CAIs on the VQ35 actually cause a loss of power, especially in the upper rpms. CAIs might work on your TLs, but not on the G35/350Z.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Way too many people on this site swing from the nuts of about 3 guys that have pulled off some impressive numbers with their TLs and it becomes gospel that TLs run these numbers. Look at the overall numbers and you'll see a very different picture painted.

I don't need to drive a TL-S because I know how it will drive. According to the 1/4 mile times I've seen on this site and the mags, I don't see much improvement in the numbers. I focus a lot on trapspeed which is an indicator of HP and the TL-S posts the very similiar traps speeds as the lower powered TL. Apparently the weight gain in the TL-S overset much of the additional power. The TL-S isn't slower, but it's definitely not significantly quicker than the standard model.
And you are basing all this on 1 mag time? plz... By weight gain do you mean those super heavy 15 pounds? Im done with you. Dont be mad you drive that ugly G sedan with the plastic interior (i kinda like the G35 coupe).

Back on topic: I dont think the TL-S has a chance against the new mustang GT. Why dont u ask him to just run you for fun instead of betting so much cash?
Old 12-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Why does it matter if a lot of people have G35s?
It doesnt, im just saying that so you know its easy to find teens in their G's trying to race anything on the street that has wheels. So i had a lot of G35 encounters...
Old 12-05-2007, 10:42 AM
Burning Brakes

And you are basing all this on 1 mag time? plz... By weight gain do you mean those super heavy 15 pounds? Im done with you. ).?
One mag time? C&D, MT, Edmunds, etc. place the TL-S 6MT at 14.2-14.3@99mph. I think it would be safe to say that like the TL, the 5AT TL-S will be about .3 to .4 seconds slower. As for weight, everything I've seen shows the TL-S in the 3,630lbs-3,650lbs range vs the TL's 3520lbs-3,580lbs.

Dont be mad you drive that ugly G sedan with the plastic interior (i kinda like the G35 coupe).?
How old are you again?

Back on topic: I dont think the TL-S has a chance against the new mustang GT. Why dont u ask him to just run you for fun instead of betting so much cash?
Smartest thing you've said so far.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:19 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No chance on beating a '07Mustang, if I were you try racing an older gen V8 mustang and if you beat that by 2 cars, then you'll have a chance.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:15 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

From Acura website

Manual 6-Speed: 3559 lb | TYPE–S
Automatic: 3636 lb | BASE

In other words, the Type S is actually lighter. And the weight for older TL 6MT is about 15lbs lighter than the Type S 6MT.

That weight is pretty much the same as the new Accord V6 (3449, or 100lbs less), which according to Edmunds, traps at 101.6, or 102mph. The TL-S obviously has a better power to weight ratio than the accord, so I don't see why it would trap any lower than that speed, if driven properly.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=123357

Also according to Edmunds, the G35 sport traps at 102mph,

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=116681

I definitely see your point Dave B, but a lot of these races are from a roll, not from a dig, therefore it's not surprising that these people win. Afterall, a lot of times it's a driver's race, but the G35 is just easier to launch.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've ran auto 2005 GT with exhaust on highway, with my stock G35 6 speed, from around 70 to 130mph, 3 times, every time I lost by one car length,he was shocked. If you guys brag that G is slower than TL-S than you shouldn't have a problem with new GT,unless TL-S is slower.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
the new GT's are no joke.. the are pretty quick cars for stock..

the TL can't beat a g35. are u serious?? Your buddies a shitty driver, hands down. lol... I'm sorry, but the TL ain't that fast. I've tracked it, so i know this stuff... I ran 14.73 wit jsut CAI on my 06' A/T. check the Quarter Mile times compilation on the top of the Racing & Competition forum. Posted my slip on there... I only hit that ONCE. my other fastest time was 14.8, and the rest of the night, i was hitting 14.9's...
Old 12-10-2007, 08:08 PM
03 TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why does it matter if a lot of people have G35s? When I lived in Atlanta, G35s were everywhere and there weren't many TLs.
really ...it seems as if everywhere i go i see more and more TL's..
Old 12-11-2007, 12:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AcuraTLboi

the TL can't beat a g35. are u serious?? Your buddies a shitty driver, hands down. lol... I'm sorry, but the TL ain't that fast. I've tracked it, so i know this stuff... I ran 14.73 wit jsut CAI on my 06' A/T. check the Quarter Mile times compilation on the top of the Racing & Competition forum. Posted my slip on there... I only hit that ONCE. my other fastest time was 14.8, and the rest of the night, i was hitting 14.9's...
+1 i dont know how people claim to beat 350z + g35s.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

We both have automatics and running on the freeway doesnt take the much skills lol. You dont even have to launch. You ran a 14.7 with CAI, I have 28 more hp and 23 lbs more torque from the Type-S engine plus the CAI and a catback exhaust.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Feenin on some 20's

where u from?? i'm down to run you..
Old 12-11-2007, 11:35 PM
SOLD. 07 Jeep SRT8 =)

Originally Posted by TwinTurbo335
+1 i dont know how people claim to beat 350z + g35s.
i only beat one 350z and that cuz the kidd couldnt drive stick to save his life

on a side not our cars aint design for racing there design to sit in luxury have a nice system for those who like things loud) slamm her to the ground throw on some rims and sit in comfort with a HOT chick in the passenger seat but yet have balls wen u hit the gas
Old 12-11-2007, 11:54 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
where u from?? i'm down to run you..
I wanna see!!

~Cheers~
Old 12-12-2007, 12:04 AM
SOLD. 07 Jeep SRT8 =)

to keep things back on topic you aint going to beat him unless he fucks up somehow you noe how fast a v8 mustang + hes moddified dont botther
Old 12-12-2007, 01:18 AM
Burning Brakes

We both have automatics and running on the freeway doesnt take the much skills lol. You dont even have to launch. You ran a 14.7 with CAI, I have 28 more hp and 23 lbs more torque from the Type-S engine plus the CAI and a catback exhaust.
Racing a manual doesn't take any real skill either once you take the launch out of the equation. Racing a manual at anything over 5mph is cake.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
^^^unless u dont know how to drive one like alot of ppl nowadays
Old 12-13-2007, 01:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Racing a manual doesn't take any real skill either once you take the launch out of the equation. Racing a manual at anything over 5mph is cake.
You are missin my point. You said my friend with his G lost cuz he was a bad driver or whatever. Im saying it cant be because of the driver cuz it doesnt take much skill as a driver to floor the pedal after 3 honks on the freeway.

AcuraTLBoi= im from So Cal, near Downtown LA. Im down to race you anytime, but i wouldnt drive too far too meet you lol...
Old 12-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm not saying the TL is "slow", but the overall numbers suggest that it is slower then it's competition like the 1st gen G35.
I focus a lot on trapspeed which is an indicator of HP
If you focus so much on trapspeed you would know that the TL-S traps at 99mph too. Your G traps the same with minor mods and you are #7 in the modified list what does that mean then? That a stock TL-S beats most modified G35's? LOL
Old 12-13-2007, 11:56 PM
Burning Brakes

You are missin my point. You said my friend with his G lost cuz he was a bad driver or whatever. Im saying it cant be because of the driver cuz it doesnt take much skill as a driver to floor the pedal after 3 honks on the freeway.
You're friend can't drive a 5AT because he just can't floor it and can it a day. If you let the 5AT in G do it's own thing from 60mph highway then it will upshift into 4th at 89mph (5900rpms) which is woefully short of where it's optimal shift point is. You have to hold 3rd till 6500rpms and then upshift which is about 102mph. If you let a G35 5AT shift itself, it's the difference between running 14.7s@95mph and running 14.3s@98mph. Believe me, I've done it at the track and those are the results. The 1/8 mile ET/MPH are about the same, but manually shifting the 2-3 shift and holding 3rd during the run is worth nearly 0.4 seconds and 3mph. That's about 3 cars from 70mph to the end of the track. That's a huge difference. It's no wonder some of you guys walk 5AT G35s and 350Zs.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:57 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

If you focus so much on trapspeed you would know that the TL-S traps at 99mph too. Your G traps the same with minor mods and you are #7 in the modified list what does that mean then? That a stock TL-S beats most modified G35's? LOL
I'm sure the TL-S can trap higher than 99mph since the accord V6 with regular gas (weigh pretty much the same) can trap 102mph.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:59 PM
Burning Brakes

I've got one power mod and that's a $200 plenum spacer that's good for about 10whp/wtq. That's all I've got. Most G's have dual exhausts, HFCs, and ECU flashes. All that's worth an additional 20whp/20wtq. Those cars ususally see 102mph, sometimes as high as 104mph. The 350Zs usually will see 105-106mph.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:03 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xr6JYHtVnQ4

TL-S vs 350Z withe same mods. Since according to some members VQ response to mods better, then I would assume with the same mods, the 350z would have higher gains. But it seems like the 350z couldn't keep up with the TL-S....besides...it's done on a track, not street racing..

Sure enough you can find other videos of 350z or whatever beating the TL-S, but I'd imagine more people race their 350z than people racing their TL-S. So number of wins don't mean anything here.

Please no more excuses, the conclusion is that both the VQ and J powered cars are pretty much identical in terms of acceleration. Neither one would "smoke" each other and it really depends on the drivers, conditions of tracks, weather and cars.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:06 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

for some reason I couldn't edit my post even though it was under the 5 minute limit..anyways what I was gonna say is it was TL-S 5AT vs 350Z 6MT...so..advantage goes to 350z...what's next? 350z's driver can't drive? Give me a break..
Old 12-14-2007, 12:15 AM
Feenin on some 20's

LOL. Juruki, I would not drive all the way down there just to race u, but if i was by any chance down there, don't refuse on the offer

For the people talking shit, i noticed(not only me, but other forum people i know as well) most of them have not even seen a track before.. The track you were talking about is350+TL-S was on a racetrack, not a drag strip. I'm sure the TL handles like a charm and maybe even better than IS350 on the track.. But as for the drag strip, it's RWD>FWD... i believe.... and all you guys have to remember is... 80% driver, 20% performance?

Quick Reply: Kid with 2007 Mustang gt wnts to racce for 2 g's