Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keyless Remote

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 10:58 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keyless Remote

Does anyone know of an aftermarket place to create an integrated key / keyless remote for the TL, like Lexus has??
Old 11-27-2004, 01:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doubtful, but it would be great. I would like it - better yet, the Keyless go (intelligent key) that the RL, Infiniti FX, Lexus LS have...

I am pretty sure there has been a thread on this before... search is your best friend.

Welcome to the forums!
Old 11-28-2004, 04:36 AM
Racer

you sure that you guys want those?

128-bit encrypted wireless transmissions from a FOB and the car (both of which are promiscuous) and just happen to have incredibly weak headers (i.e.; easily deciphered).

Uhm... anything that can make it easier to steal my car is NOT something I want installed
Old 11-28-2004, 12:56 PM
Advanced

If you are talking about the key being integrated into the fob, the US Accord has this type of key. I had an Accord prior to the TL. You could buy one of those from a Honda dealer and see if you could integrate the guts from your TL fob into it.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Thats a good idea... I wonder if this can be done? Although... if somebody did this, wouldn't you lose the automatic mirror, seat, radio, air settings? (if i remember correctly the TL is linked to each keyfob)
Old 11-28-2004, 01:25 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Yoda117
you sure that you guys want those?

128-bit encrypted wireless transmissions from a FOB and the car (both of which are promiscuous) and just happen to have incredibly weak headers (i.e.; easily deciphered).

Uhm... anything that can make it easier to steal my car is NOT something I want installed
you think that the current security system is safer than the keyless one? personally i would take the later because it is new and has not been compromised yet. one might not be better than the other in the long run but a 128-bit encryption is pretty strong. the internet has been using it for sometime now and most of e-business depends on this. it is not uncrackable but it is virtually uncrackable meaning it would take so long that the person interested in cracking it would not invest his/her time. second of all we do not know the counter measures that the car can employ. if someone was to attack the keyless system it can log unauthorize attempts per second(believe me you are not getting the key on the first or second try). if a thresold is met it can totally lock out the car if not alert the authorities. if you limit the attempts per second it would take basically a lifetime in order to crack the code. i am sure the car engineers are much smarter than me and have already thought about things like this.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:30 AM
Racer

you think that it is strong?

Okies, here is a little lesson in security for you. Anybody know what the encryption is used for these?

RC4

It has a lot of weak headers... what does this mean? It means that the same issues found in WEP are found here, only to a slightly higher extent.

How much so?

Three minutes using a slightly modified version of WEPcrack.... give or take a few seconds.

Remember, WIFI is harder to break into because it has stronger headers and more importantly it is based on a system that requires you to monito a lot of traffic (and most WIFI systems don't do tons of traffic unless they have a ton of users). Intelligent key systems are promiscuous, which means that they do nothing but send out packets and even more so when there is a signal being sent back to them (which is how this system works).

Take a lifetime? Hardly...
Old 11-29-2004, 01:55 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Yoda117
you think that it is strong?

Okies, here is a little lesson in security for you. Anybody know what the encryption is used for these?

RC4

It has a lot of weak headers... what does this mean? It means that the same issues found in WEP are found here, only to a slightly higher extent.

How much so?

Three minutes using a slightly modified version of WEPcrack.... give or take a few seconds.

Remember, WIFI is harder to break into because it has stronger headers and more importantly it is based on a system that requires you to monito a lot of traffic (and most WIFI systems don't do tons of traffic unless they have a ton of users). Intelligent key systems are promiscuous, which means that they do nothing but send out packets and even more so when there is a signal being sent back to them (which is how this system works).

Take a lifetime? Hardly...
when i say lifetime i mean with the car employing some sort of counter measure. if you are given infinite attempts at an high rate of attempts per second cracking it will be possible. but if the car only allows a finite amount of attempts per second then it would be able to react to a unauthoprized password decryption attempt. i could be wrong and the car does nothing when someone is trying to breach it's security but i figured well paid acura engineers would have though about this already. plus if the car thief had the capability of obtaining the hardware used in the keyless remotes and the know how then whatever the case the car is stolen. i mean with the most advance security system someone can still jack you car on a flat bed and take off. doesn't matter what security system you have. the point of the keyless system is convenience, not so much an answer to car theft.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:26 AM
Racer

True, but the original poster wanted something similar to what Lexus and particularly Infiniti has.

IMO Infiniti's IntelligentKey system is very convenient, but at a huge cost to security. My comments are based off of that system.

Most other systems can be compromised, but you are right, it would take a lot longer and to duplicate the chip in the key would be expensive and even more time consuming (hence why most car thieves disable such security measures by destroying the components or using flatbeds).
Old 11-30-2004, 11:40 AM
Suzuka Master

ok but guys, lets be reasonable here... if somebody wants your car that bad to sit there with some device to find the code/frequency/whatever its called... they are going to get your car no matter what...

am i mistaken here?