Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key and Keyfob Stolen

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 05:02 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Key and Keyfob Stolen

Okay, folks. I have a bit of a problem here. Some of the contents of my wife's purse were stolen while she was at work yesterday. Among the items stolen was her key fob and key to my beloved '04 Acura TL.

They also took the usual credit cards, drivers license, cell phone, etc. , but these are easily replaced.

Right now, I feel like a sitting duck. Because they stole the key and fob, AND her drivers license, that means they can find where we live and basically my TL becomes their TL at the push of a button. The only thing I have going for me is that I garage it. I mean, if they REALLY want it, they can simply follow me to, say, the grocery store and while I'm in the store...SEE YA!

I talked with Acura corporate, who directed me to my dealer. The service writer said that it would be about seven hours of labor plus a kit in order to "re-chip" the anti-theft engine controls and also replace the keys. He's talking about $600-800. He also said I could just buy a replacement key for my wife and have it programmed to work in my car at about $150. (Bear with my, I may not have all the terminology correct.) When I gasped he said he understood that it's a lot of money and he said he was sorry it happened to us. But then I said, "I know its a lot of money, but my TL is a bunch of money"

I really like my car and want to keep it. Any suggestions that will keep my car secure and be a lot less expensive?
Old 08-11-2006, 05:22 PM
05 TL

I think that you might be able to reprogram your car to only use your fob. But unless you have the other one you might not be able to test it. I think that you can have 3 or maybe 4 fobs mapped to your car.... But I dont know if you can make all 4 the one fob that you still own.

You are s.o.l. on the door lock and ignition, but atleast they couldn't just press unlock and get in. Actually you can get the shaved lock mod and not have a key hole.

I saw a pair of FOBs on ebay for 115 or so...

Key... the dealer will have to get you another key...
Old 08-11-2006, 06:27 PM
Advanced

Your dealer is wrong. I just got a new key programmed when I bought my car. He asked me if I had any keys at my house and not with me, to this I replied "No, I only have one key, why?" and he said that once he cut me another key and programmed it, that no other keys would work...so he had to REPROGRAM my original key along with cutting/programming my new one. Go talk to your dealer again. And this was the servcice manager of 15 years that I was talking to, not some rookie. That really sucks though man....sorry to hear it.

Off Topic: I lost my wallet one day that had a spare key to my Eclipse in it....2 days later My stereo is ripped out of my car with no signs of forced entry..and I ALWAYS lock my car, I'm so anal about it. One would wonder how this happened?
Old 08-12-2006, 01:06 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

From the pages of Acura TL Service Manual 04-05, pages 22-164

Transmitter Programming (Keyfob)

Storing Transmitter Codes
The codes of up to three transmitters can be stored into the keyless receiver unit memory. (If a fourth code is stored, the code which was input first will be erased).

For the sake of everyone here, the rest of page 22-164

Note: It is important to maintain the time limits betwenn the steps. Make sure the doors, the hood and the trunk lid are closed.

1. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II).

2. Within 1 to 4 sec, press the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the keyless receiver unit behind the driver's side of the dashboard.

3. Within 1 to 4 sec, turn the ignition switch OFF.

4. Within 1 to 4 sec, turn the ignition switch ON (II).

5. Within 1 to 4 sec, press the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the keyless receiver unit behind the driver's side of the dashboard.

6. Within 1 to 4 sec, turn the ignition switch OFF.

7. Within 1 to 4 sec, turn the ignition switch ON (II).

8. Within 1 to 4 sec, press the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the keyless receiver unit behind the driver's side of the dashboard.

9. Within 1 to 4 sec, turn the ignition switch OFF.

10. Within 4 sec, turn the ignition switch ON (II). (Not a Typo)

11. Within 1 to 4 sec, press the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the keyless receiver unit behind the driver's side of the dashboard.

12. Confirm you can hear the sound of the door lock actuators within 1 to 4 sec, then push the transmitter lock or unlock button again, or the code will not be stored.

13. Within 10 sec, aim the transmitters (up to two additional ones) whose codes you want to store in the keyless receiver, and press the transmitter lock or unlock buttons.

Confirm that you can hear the sound of the door lock actuators after each code is stored.

14. Turn the ignition switch OFF, and remove the key.

15. Confirm proper operation with the transmitters.

NOTE: Once the programming mode is entered, the remote button must be pressed a second time. If the button is not pressed, or if the the ignition switch is turned OFF, the programming for all remotes will be cancelled.

This is only for the Keyfobs, I will try to find the information for the key itself later.

Best regards

frenchnew
Old 08-12-2006, 06:08 AM
5th Gear

Thanks for the info! Now I can go to the dealer with your information and also from "frenchnew" and be able to leave the dealer with more cash in my pocket. I guess the most important thing is that I will once again have a secure car. (Relatively speaking of course!)
Old 08-13-2006, 01:00 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did not find any information in the service manuals about programming new keys or locking out existing keys.

My guess is that they want only Acura dealers to have access to this information to limit acess to shady caracters.

Best regards

frenchnew
Old 08-13-2006, 01:44 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

In combination with the keyless receiver re-programming to remove your old codes and having the immobilizer reprogrammed you might also consider the door key lock mod so the perp would have to know how to get around that or break a window to gain access. At least it might keep less-serious teen car stereo thieves out.

Link to mod
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82775
Old 08-13-2006, 01:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
Also don't forget to change your garage door code if you programmed your Homelink buttons
Old 08-13-2006, 08:10 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by A SiQ TL
Also don't forget to change your garage door code if you programmed your Homelink buttons
Wow! Great idea! I hadn't thought of that. I do remember to clear the Homelink when I sell a car though.

In order to be safe again, this is what you should do in addition to programming a new fob. (by the way...does programming a new fob erase all previous fobs???) Have the dealer take your existing key plus a new key and have it programmed to start the car. Ensure they are erasing all previous stored codes. By the way...some locksmiths may be able to do this. Once all memories are cleared and you have new codes for your keys and fobs, they can no longer start your car. However, they can still get into it through the door...which will kill the alarm too. So....before I programmed any keys, I would break down and buy a new door lock and ignition tumbler to fit a new key. These may be able to be re-keyed by a locksmith...but I'm betting that would be as much or more money than a new set of locks. But they both need to fit the same key...so it's worth talking to the dealer or a locksmith to see how you have to do that.

This is a bunch of work and money. I hope they catch the SOB who did this to you.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:20 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by CobraGuy

This is a bunch of work and money. I hope they catch the SOB who did this to you.

"SOB"...we must think alike because those are the intials that I gave him, too!

Here's a semi-good ending to this story.

My wife's wallet and most of the contents were found in a local park. Who found it? My sister, who lives in the neighborhood and was walking her dog at the time. The dog stops and starts sniffing something in the ivy ground cover along the path. What are the odds of that?

The wallet contained everything except for the $20 in cash (Wow, that was worth ripping off, eh?) and credit cards. It even had her driver's license, which means that the "SOB" really can't link the house and car keys to our home. (But I'm still changing the locks on our home and the TL).

Thanks to all posters who contributed their help in figuring out how to handle the missing TL key and fob!
Old 08-25-2006, 01:59 AM
Intermediate

Move to new apartment/house.

Hay atleast i tried
Old 08-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
If it were to cost $600-$800, could it be covered under insurance, like comprehensive deductible?
Old 08-25-2006, 01:21 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Check with your Insurance they should pay to have the vehicle rekeyed. Most will as it's cheaper than what would happen if the car was stolen. You can change the codes all you want on the keys and the remotes but if the locks are still the same they can still gain access to the vehicle.

Edit: didn't see Thorin's reply.