3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it just me? Does the TL get boring?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:21 PM
2006 TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Is it just me? Does the TL get boring?

Hey guys (and gals)!

I just wanted to share / update and maybe gain some feedback on my recent driving experience with my '06 TL. But 1st some general info bout me and the car:
  • I'm 20
  • Drive an '06 TL 5AT (40,000 miles)
  • Live in NYC September-April
  • Live in Orlando, FL May-August/Sept.
  • Drive to and from FL/NYC when I move
  • The car is a lease (expires May 2009)
Alright, so... I'm pretty popular with the in FL (I almost ALWAYS get a speeding ticket every time I'm there) and tend to stay out of trouble here in NYC (i assume because the NYPD has bigger things to worry about than giving a bunch of speeding tickets). So, if you haven't gathered by now, I'm a pretty spirited driver. Sometimes aggresive, but spirited for the most part. Most of us on the TL forum own a TL, so I'm not gonna talk about how awesome the handling characteristics of the car are.

I've noticed, though, that for some strange reason, it doesn't seem fun to drive anymore. Recently, I find myself driving on the highway at about 5-10 over the speed limit (when I usually do 20+ over), just driving nonchalantly to my destination, and in the middle/right lane, might I add! I usually only drive in the fast lane. I should note I just got new brakes and tires, so one would think I'd be tearing up pavement, right?! Wrong. Even my best friend, who often rides with me, says it's "getting old," but he's obsessed with my other friends TL-S, so who knows what he means by that.

I don't really know why it is that I'm bored with my car... Maybe I'm maturing? IDK. Maybe I'm finally realizing that it's not necessary to speed everywhere, zig-zag through lanes, take hairpin turns, and make cheetah-like maneuvers. But then when I think about it, I love all that stuff. So maybe it's the car? Maybe it's just another one of those things that gradually loses excitement due to factors like age, routine use, market competition, etc.

I used to go out for drives just to drive, but now I only take it out when I need to go somewhere and don't want to use a train. I always find myself looking @ Infiniti / BMW / Audi's web-sites just to see all the new cars they've come out with and to build & configure them, only to then say... "Well, gotta wait 'til '09!" But it shouldn't be like that, right? Should I be excited for the day I give back my TL?

IDK... What do you guys think? Does anyone else feel this way / have a similar story / or is just getting bored with the TL?

I recently used AmexRewards to get a Nikon D80 DSLR and I haven't taken ONE picture of my poor RBP TL. You'd think that's the 1st thing I would've done, eh? Is something wrong or no?
Old 02-07-2008, 12:45 PM
bug
Intermediate

you seem to be bored of driving. i dont think its the car.. and your friend got you all down because you have a regular TL and not a Type-S.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Instructor

It's either one of two things.

1) Either you're one of those people who just get tired of your car quickly. I know people like that. All they do is lease a new car every 2-3 years because they get tired of cars quickly.

OR

2) You probably are maturing and driving fast and crazy isn't as much of a thrill anymore. You're 20 so you've probably had your license a few years and you're just getting passed the initial thrill of being able to drive your own car. I'm only 23 but I can tell you when I was 19 I was driving fast, music blaring, windows down no matter how cold it was because I always wanted people to see me. I still do some of those things now but not as much because I just don't care to.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
this is human nature to get bored of things/people.

it's like being with the same girl for years, you know what I mean?
(to all the married people, sorry)

Variety is always great, unless you really enjoy and love what you have, then you will be happy....

This is why I lease, as I do get bored fast, but I luv my TLS.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Nope, just you.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
When i get bored of my car i just add a new mod, then the fun starts all over again. I try to take it slow and do it mod by mod and im always in love with my car. thats just me thou...
Old 02-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Go to a track event. You're brain is probably starting to pick up on the fact that driving like that is risk it'd rather not expose itself too. Sooner or later your going to figure out how to pay attention to it.

Are we supposed to feel sorry for you because being stupid doesn't excite you the way it used to? Boo-fucking-hoo.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Nikon Neck Beard Krew

Has Dr. Phil joined the forums yet...no...ok thought i would ask.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not just you, doesn't excite me too much either.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TeknoKing
this is human nature to get bored of things/people.

it's like being with the same girl for years, you know what I mean?
(to all the married people, sorry)
Ha! You hit the nail on the head here dude. Like it or love it, it's just a car. Park it and walk away from it, you're the same person. I like Corvette and my TL, but neither car gets me hard.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 258 Posts
That's why you wait to fix your car up..that way it seems like new again!

Kinda like when I get bored of my girl, she goes out and gets a new fancy hair do.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:44 PM
LyfeIs what you make it!

Originally Posted by darksky
Ha! You hit the nail on the head here dude. Like it or love it, it's just a car. Park it and walk away from it, you're the same person. I like Corvette and my TL, but neither car gets me hard.
lol

I know a few ppl like this. What they do is rent a supercar (lambo, ferrari...) every month or so just to get it out of their system.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:25 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
With your speeding problems, perhaps your more conservative driving style is good for you.

Are the tickets/points affecting you in any way? I know I became a little more conservative after my last one...
Old 02-07-2008, 03:31 PM
[PA] NBP-TL

you just got over the fact that u have a driver license. before i used to be like that, i wanted to drive every where. now i dont even like to drive. i do it because i must. is not the TL . TL is an amazing car. I lov my NBP TL
Old 02-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyASPEC
Recently, I find myself driving on the highway at about 5-10 over the speed limit (when I usually do 20+ over)

Maybe I'm finally realizing that it's not necessary to speed everywhere, zig-zag through lanes, take hairpin turns, and make cheetah-like maneuvers.
Sounds like you're a great driver

Maybe it's best that you "matured" sooner than later, but you don't have to drive like that to have fun in your TL.

Just do some new mods...that always brings the excitement back for me!
Old 02-07-2008, 03:44 PM
TL-S BeASt

just buy a supercharger and it will feel new......lol
Old 02-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Instructor

5AT
Therein lies the problem.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MRP Pete
Therein lies the problem.
Bah, no offense dude, but a manual tranny on a 3.5 L V6 isn't gonna do it. Even when it's mated up to a 5.7L V8, it gets old after a while.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is it stock....?

Throw a RSB and intake in....feels like a sportier car for under $400
Old 02-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Pro

It's def you gettin mature haha, i just went through that too with my TSx, that got totalled, i thought id be a more spirited driver with a new TL-S.... no i was wrong, i still follow the speed limits and have yet to feel like i should own the road like i used to... im 20 and maybe i just need to get a lambo lol
Old 02-07-2008, 07:05 PM
Instructor

Well, probably because you are getting older. I'm 29 now, and I'm bored to tears alot of the time. I love my car and feel lucky to drive such a nice car, but I don't wake up excited to drive it. I guess you could say "the new wears off" and it becomes just your means of transportation.
I guess this is why I'm not married, I get bored too easy. That's why I Lease and Date VERSES buy a car and marry.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:07 PM
07 tl-s in

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
"with great power comes great responsability" when I had my lsvtec teg I raced everyone in sight to PROVE something.(my little teg was a beast) Now that I'm alittle older and have the tl-s I still mess around but I don't feel like I have anything to prove.I love looking over at a car that wants to race but I pretty much know I'll murder him and just give look over like he's wasting my time. I used to be the one wasting other peoples time/gas. I love driving period and my type-s makes me love driving even more.

my tl turns me on alittle
Old 02-07-2008, 07:36 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
damn sonny.....its purely YOU...lolZ....I have had this car for more than 3 yrs and I have driven her (notice me saying her and not it) more than 50k miles....spirited, aggressive, laid back, romantically.....in all the ways u can imagine but whenever I come to my car n unlock it n d indicators go blink blink.....I heart beats increase.....n u hear myself saying....."damn babe u HAWT!!!".....everytime I lock her n walk away I turn around n wink at her.....

I have no mods on her.....pure stock.....a lot depends on d music u play.....another on ur mood....if u have just started driving like an old person then u have to do 2 things...:
1) eat anti-aging pills
2) get d hell outta my way
Old 02-07-2008, 07:58 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by darksky
but neither car gets me hard.
Well that's a good thing... Wouldn't need to see that at the stop light...

:-)
Old 02-07-2008, 08:28 PM
There's alot of asian in

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
what does maturing have to do with the TL?>!
last time i check, the TL is for mature people.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:40 PM
aTLien

shoulda got a type s! maybe you'll have more fun w. more hp?
Old 02-07-2008, 08:56 PM
2006 TL

bug - I don't think so. The Type-S is just a different TL, imho. Maybe I just want my car to be KBP?! lol

tragic 22 - i've been driving for 5 years and I was just like you with the music and the windows and everything... Now when I see other people doing that I just laugh and say "wow - what an asshole I was!" I agree with the theory that I get tired of things though.

TeknoKing - I don't DO relationships, so I completely got your analogy lol (but who knows - maybe that's a phase, too?!)

chill_dog - alright, just checking... glad ur still enjoying it

juruki - while I wish I could just keep adding mods to the car, there's not that much you can do to a lease that I wont be penalized for when I turn it in (and rims aren't priority right now)

LukeaTron - I've always wanted to go to a track event but never felt like the TL is good enough for the track. And , you're not supposed to feel bad for me. Why do you say that?

sT04Louis - lol, no. I'm pretty sure he's still trying to help Britney Spears...

CL Platano - good to know I'm not alone

darksky - yeah, LukeaTron made me laugh, too. On the other hand.. I'm not one of those "a car is JUST a car" people. I always laugh when my dad tells me that... for whatever reason (that I completely do NOT comprehend) - he drives a 1994 Toyota Avalon

whitetiger5 - lol - That's a great example. hahaha

LyfeIs - I would LOVE to rent an exotic ... can't wait 'til I'm actually able to do so.

leedogg - I just wanna say that everytime I read one of your posts, you're always very polite and cordial. So, thanks for being one of the many assets to the forum. I can't STAND when people get rude, arrogant and judgmental. Moving on... My tickets and points are not affecting me. I usually take an online class in FL to avoid points being added. The 1 ticket I got in NYC was for tints - and I'm going to court tomorrow morning @ 9 am for that one.

clavodulce - 10-4. sounds like it

paz840 - i know, i know... but don't judge... sometimes i have to go 20+ on the highway just to go with the flow of traffic. Anyone from NYC who's driven on the Grand Central or Northern State Parkways can affirm that. I've found that in FL - if you speed - you get pulled over. In NYC - you only get pulled over if you're blazing past all the cars on the highway that are already speeding. If I stay with the flow doing 70 in a 50, nothing happens. I'd love to do new mods. Who knows, maybe just a photoshoot might bring back some excitement?

V-Sic - i wish. they sound amazing from the vids i've seen (i love the whine)

MRP Pete - I don't know how to drive a manual. I want to learn though. I'd probably enjoy that better since I like being more involved in the car.

JJaber06 - can I do that to a lease? wont it void a warranty? [yes, it's stock]

AirJordan23922 - yeah it feels that way...

Crissy78 - very well said. that's exactly why I don't get involved in relationships!

subbuzz - yeah I don't feel like I have anything to prove, I know what you mean. I laugh at people who want to race me. Just last night I was at a light by my school and this guy in a Dodge Magnum (possibly one of the fugliest vehicles ever made) starts revving at me. Light turned green and he floored it, but it was raining... so he pretty much sat there for a bit. Meanwhile I accelerated normally, and I guess he was embarrassed and stayed behind me. Really funny.

swoosh - lol i know exactly how u feel, which is why i stay outta the left lane now. When I used to drive really fast I would HAAAAAAATE slow-ass drivers in the FAST lane, so because I don't wanna be the asshole, and understand how ppl are, I leave them a whole lane.

KJSmitty - hey, I call my best friend Smitty! lol... but yes, hard-ons at stop-lights unnecessary

sifuacura - good point...

jumbosizeme79 - is it really that much of a difference. I know the NUMBERS are different, but from what i heard the feeling of the hp gain isn't that much and that the TL-S is more about sport handling and aesthetics. Plus, i dont consider going from 258 to 287 hp "more hp." Maybe that's why I've been looking @ Infiniti / BMW / Audi for my next car. The G35S with 306 / BMW M3 with 414 / Audi S5 with 354... and I don't expect that Acura will let us down with the next TL, but we'll see

thanks for your input everyone...
Old 02-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Just you.

Everytime i come out of my house and look at my car especially when its clean (which is like 90% of the time) i just love it even more. My lease is up in 3 months and im getting a type-s .....6 speed of course. Maybe its because u drive an auto?!
Old 02-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Yes you can do it to a lease...no it wont void any warrenty...

Progress 24mm RSB : $130
AEM CAI: $250~

The RSB, IMO, is a *MUST* for this car. I don't know why 22mm isn't standard, but the day after I got my TL, I had this on! Makes the rear feel completely planted around turns and just makes driving the car all around more fun. The AEM is fun at WOT, and really opens up the engine! The stock airbox is a huge maze...
Old 02-07-2008, 09:53 PM
2006 TL

Originally Posted by JJaber06
Yes you can do it to a lease...no it wont void any warrenty...

Progress 24mm RSB : $130
AEM CAI: $250~

The RSB, IMO, is a *MUST* for this car. I don't know why 22mm isn't standard, but the day after I got my TL, I had this on! Makes the rear feel completely planted around turns and just makes driving the car all around more fun. The AEM is fun at WOT, and really opens up the engine! The stock airbox is a huge maze...
How will that not void anything? I'm not saying I don't believe you... but my last car was a VW Jetta and VW basically doesnt let you do shit to their cars or they void warranty. So even when I turn the car back in, they wont fine me for having aftermarket products in the car? I haven't asked the guys @ Acura about it though... so I'll def. look into it. Those are fairly cheap mods that I'd be able to do (assuming you're right about being ok with the warranty)... Sounds exciting! One question though - what is WOT? (excuse my ignorance)
Old 02-07-2008, 10:25 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts

leedogg - I just wanna say that everytime I read one of your posts, you're always very polite and cordial. So, thanks for being one of the many assets to the forum. I can't STAND when people get rude, arrogant and judgmental. Moving on... My tickets and points are not affecting me. I usually take an online class in FL to avoid points being added. The 1 ticket I got in NYC was for tints - and I'm going to court tomorrow morning @ 9 am for that one.

Thanks man. I appreciate the appreciation You sure you read all my posts? I'm pretty sure I've gone to town on a few idiotic posters.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:28 PM
2006 TL

Originally Posted by leedogg
Thanks man. I appreciate the appreciation You sure you read all my posts? I'm pretty sure I've gone to town on a few idiotic posters.
LOL I have definately seen those... but you know what I mean... If it's in response to something that's one thing... but if it's just to egg someone on that's another. Hey... I was thinking about blacking/clearing my headlights... do you know if that voids the warranty and if its ok to do on a lease or what?
Old 02-07-2008, 10:34 PM
B A N N E D

Another reason why i'm boosting my TL.... craving more power
Old 02-07-2008, 10:57 PM
Suzuka Master

How will that not void anything? I'm not saying I don't believe you... but my last car was a VW Jetta and VW basically doesnt let you do shit to their cars or they void warranty. So even when I turn the car back in, they wont fine me for having aftermarket products in the car? I haven't asked the guys @ Acura about it though... so I'll def. look into it. Those are fairly cheap mods that I'd be able to do (assuming you're right about being ok with the warranty)... Sounds exciting! One question though - what is WOT? (excuse my ignorance)
A) They won't notice the RSB

As for the intake, ask them about it, but as long as you put the stock airbox back before you turn it in, they can't really do ****.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:47 PM
Nikon Neck Beard Krew

what is WOT? (excuse my ignorance)

Wide Open Throttle

Quickest way to hit that VTACS!!!!
Old 02-08-2008, 05:02 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
One of the best reasons to have gone with a manual transmission. When I get bored with my personal driving machine (as opposed to a utility vehicle), I also start getting the itch to change. An automatic TL would bore me to tears unless I owned a "toy" at the same time. My manual '04 TL is still fun to drive and still entertains me, so I'm good to go for now.

BTW, I also own an '05 automatic TL.. the wife's ride, so I can easily compare the two and tell the differences.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:25 AM
2006 TL

JJaber06 - yeah, i'll look into it... we'll see what happens
sT04Louis - thanks
SouthernBoy - i can't drive a manual transmission. and i REALLY dont think it'd be smart to learn on an expensive car (like my next one)... maybe driving school... 2 of my friends drive a 6MT - one hates it, the other loves it... IDK bout Manual in NYC
Old 02-08-2008, 08:27 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
One of the best reasons to have gone with a manual transmission. When I get bored with my personal driving machine (as opposed to a utility vehicle), I also start getting the itch to change. An automatic TL would bore me to tears unless I owned a "toy" at the same time. My manual '04 TL is still fun to drive and still entertains me, so I'm good to go for now.

BTW, I also own an '05 automatic TL.. the wife's ride, so I can easily compare the two and tell the differences.
But honestly, the difference is also in your head bro

The moment you grab the stick, its already invigorating (no, not that stick )....

Instead of just chilling and driving, you prefer to be a gear head
Old 02-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
^^^Exactly. It's all about what you like/want...and I'm all about chillin' and drivin' (while listening to some tunes).
Old 02-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Drifting

I was a bit pissed off when I wrote my first post and interpreted your original post as being tinged with a lot more ricer boy attitude than I think it was meant to convey. I more clearly understand what you're trying to say now.

That said, don't be afraid of learning to drive a manual on a nice car. NYC and even more so, FL are both flat as can be so it's not like you're going to be regularly smoking the clutch starting on hills (probably the hardest thing to learn). It's not hard to learn and it really puts you much more in touch your car. Driving an auto bores me to the point where I rapidly get sleepy while driving. Your just not doing much other than pointing the car down the road and nudging it along.

All in all though, driving on public roads is a very utilitarian process. That's why I suggest the track events. A lot of them provide the cars for you. I'm planning on going to a few shifter cart events this summer, they look fun as hell and it's relatively cheap to get into.

I've also got a bike that's a million times more exhilarating than driving a car but I feel less and less like riding on the streets every time I go out. People are just so stupid and you have so little protection from them on a bike.

Quick Reply: Is it just me? Does the TL get boring?