Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Got my IS350

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 04:50 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just Got my IS350

I have had a 05 TL for almost a year and though I have had the IS350 for 24 hours the is no comparison. I am still keeping the TL, good car overall however the quality and craftmanship is totally different. From the second I had the TL I felt like the car was made too cheap, slight rattles, the surfaces get roughed up too easily, etc.., even the G35 doesn't have as many of those issues. Yeah yeah the IS 350 fully loaded is 10k more then the TL, but you pay for what you get. I am not trashing the TL at all but they have to ameliorate some of the issues some of us have been experiencing. Lets see how I feel after a couple of more weeks driving the Lexus.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:58 PM
Pro

yeah, i got tl cause like, i have to pay for gas and it is the only mid sized nice car with decent hp that gets 29mpg on highway. your prolly gonna get like 18 mpg on highway....
Old 10-14-2005, 05:15 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not interested in spending $10,000 to get M35 or IS350 at all. I'd rather live with some rattles and invest money somewhere else like savings for a new house. Yes you can get great cars for more money no question about that. M3, S4, Corvette, M5 on and on
Old 10-14-2005, 05:17 PM
ASP
Earl Shod

Originally Posted by Ka0tik
yeah, i got tl cause like, i have to pay for gas and it is the only mid sized nice car with decent hp that gets 29mpg on highway. your prolly gonna get like 18 mpg on highway....
Best to do some research before you post crap.

. . . The integration of these new technologies contributes to segment-leading efficiency with the IS 350 obtaining an EPA-estimated combined fuel consumption rating of 24 mpg (21 mpg city/28 mpg highway).
Old 10-14-2005, 05:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ka0tik
Honda Accord gets good mileage plus you only have to fill w/ regular. Also, the IS gets 21 city and 28 highway, but will probably get around 18-27.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:21 PM
6MT & LSD

Nice. Take some side-by-side shots with the TL & the IS when you get a chance.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:23 PM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Actually you are trashing the TL. the TL is great value for the price. It is stylish and the interior is very clean. I wouldn't consider it being made cheaply at all. Yes you do get what you paid for. I think for you, you paid an extra 10K to make you feel better.

The IS350 is probably a better car, no one doubts that. The folks at car and driver, automobile mag have said so and many on this board have said that as well. Just do a search for the IS350 threads. But post a better opinion after you've fully driven the car for...a year. It may not be any different than now, but at least it won't be like me saying I test drove a Bentley or a Ferrari and saying how much better it is compared to the TL.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:33 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

absoultely agreed. you get something better for more money but I find TL a stunning value along with Infiniti G35.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another thing to think about is that with the TL, you are not getting the lowest model possible.. its actually one of the top of what Acura sells. With Lexus, there are tons more models above the IS. I have not seen the new IS and hope its as good as you described. Keep us updated on how you like it even though it may just be psychological since its a new toy right now.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Better yet get dam acura to fix the quality problems. Saying you will live with it does not encourage them to fix them.. Blind loyalty does not do anything for the product.

I would rather have a car that does not have quite as many features for the same or less money and not have rattles. And for 10K more you never know, maybe the IS will not suffer from as many product issues and last much longer than the TL.

Saying the TL is Value priced means cheap. My issue is that they get some upgraded materials for as cheap as they can and put the tl together, resulting in rattles, etc...
Old 10-14-2005, 06:22 PM
100k miles club

Originally Posted by freddy202022
I have had a 05 TL for almost a year and though I have had the IS350 for 24 hours the is no comparison. I am still keeping the TL, good car overall however the quality and craftmanship is totally different. From the second I had the TL I felt like the car was made too cheap, slight rattles, the surfaces get roughed up too easily, etc.., even the G35 doesn't have as many of those issues. Yeah yeah the IS 350 fully loaded is 10k more then the TL, but you pay for what you get. I am not trashing the TL at all but they have to ameliorate some of the issues some of us have been experiencing. Lets see how I feel after a couple of more weeks driving the Lexus.
congrats, my friend is waiting on his. i am curious about the navi. do you have park the car in order for you to add/edit the destination? or can you do it "on the fly"? i've heard other lexus models that this is true. anyways, enjoy your new toy.

BTW, doesn't that center console look familiar
Old 10-14-2005, 06:23 PM
Pro

Come on. We all want to see this Bad Boy.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:29 PM
I pimp an Audi A4.

bring it by to the bay area meet tommrrow.. i'd love to check it out!
Old 10-14-2005, 06:30 PM
Racer

Congrats on the car.

I actually test drove both the 250 and the 350 today and all I can say is wow. The 250 has more get up and go than I expected and the power in the 350 is wonderful. Lexus did a great job with this car but all in all I don’t think its $10,000 better. Looks like an 06 TL is still at the top of my list.

The one thing I didn’t like was the fact that XM is an add on that's not integrated into the factory unit.

Keep us posted on your likes and dislikes compared to the TL.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
I also test drove the new IS yesterday, and it's quite impressive. But after taking a closer look at the car, it only confirms what I had already suspected: that it's not a direct competitor to the TL. It's simply (still) too small a car to be directly comparable to the TL, regardless of the fact that there is some price similarity between the IS250 and the TL.

A very nice car nevertheless.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Thorin78
Actually you are trashing the TL. the TL is great value for the price. It is stylish and the interior is very clean. I wouldn't consider it being made cheaply at all. Yes you do get what you paid for. I think for you, you paid an extra 10K to make you feel better.

The IS350 is probably a better car, no one doubts that. The folks at car and driver, automobile mag have said so and many on this board have said that as well. Just do a search for the IS350 threads. But post a better opinion after you've fully driven the car for...a year. It may not be any different than now, but at least it won't be like me saying I test drove a Bentley or a Ferrari and saying how much better it is compared to the TL.
So tell me how my half a dozen rattles, dash fade, and window ointment to make my windows seal properly, DOESNT SPELL OUT CUT CORNERS/CHEAPLY MADE.

Might I add, the car is 6 months old. It's bad enough when it happens to you, but when the service advisors call the TL the "rattle box," you know something can't be JUST YOU.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:51 PM
Nobody's Hero

Originally Posted by 2005Aspec
So tell me how my half a dozen rattles, dash fade, and window ointment to make my windows seal properly, DOESNT SPELL OUT CUT CORNERS/CHEAPLY MADE.

Might I add, the car is 6 months old. It's bad enough when it happens to you, but when the service advisors call the TL the "rattle box," you know something can't be JUST YOU.
I don't think the TL is cheaply made. Does it have faults...sure. The IS350 may display some of its own problems as it accumulates miles and wear. BMW, Audi ect all have problems. I do belive Acura should however do a better job of standing behind some of the more common problems.

The TL is 10k cheaper and should not be as "good" as the IS350. One of the reasons we purchased the TL was that it provides us with some of the same features and comforts as cars far more expensive. In do so, it may not have some the same quality of materials but I would consider that "cheaply made". After all you should be paying 10k more for something other than the name.

All purchases are relative to value (bang for the buck). We constanly compare the TL to cars significantly higher priced that may not even be in the same class and size.

She is not without fault, but is still a car that provides some high end features without the top end price.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Shark
I don't think the TL is cheaply made. Does it have faults...sure. The IS350 may display some of its own problems as it accumulates miles and wear. BMW, Audi ect all have problems. I do belive Acura should however do a better job of standing behind some of the more common problems.

The TL is 10k cheaper and should not be as "good" as the IS350. One of the reasons we purchased the TL was that it provides us with some of the same features and comforts as cars far more expensive. In do so, it may not have some the same quality of materials but I would consider that "cheaply made". After all you should be paying 10k more for something other than the name.

All purchases are relative to value (bang for the buck). We constanly compare the TL to cars significantly higher priced that may not even be in the same class and size.

She is not without fault, but is still a car that provides some high end features without the top end price.

great comment...I concur
Old 10-14-2005, 08:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 2005Aspec

Is the quality of the TL worse than your average Accord ? No. I always viewed the TL as a better looking Accord with more features, better warranty, a slightly firmer ride (which comes from the tweaks to make it more "sporty"). I never felt the quality of construction/design was any better than your average Accord EX which btw is very good. The problem is some people think the quality of their TL should be as good as a $45-50K vehicle made in Japan (or a TSX .

It's not like G35 owners don't complain about rattles coming from their Japanese-made vehicles.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shark

If you're going to compare their top model, you cant use a non-navi 31500 TL. Top model vs. top model is about a 1-2k difference.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:47 PM
Advanced

I've had my TL for a month or so now and I love it. Acura's standard equipment package and value is pretty awesome and that is why I bought one.

But truth be told I would have considered the IS before the TL but it wasn’t out yet and when they do go on sale your not going to get a decent price on them for at least a year when supply meets demand. I think Lexus (Toyota) does make a slightly better product overall but they play the option B.S. way too much. Also, Lexus service is second to none and that is another reason to consider buying one.

The wife’s Highlander is built better than our TL I have to admit. We have had her Toyo for a year and a half and not one single problem or rattle. But in all fairness they have been making the Highlander longer.

I've seen the IS350 in person and it's much nicer in person than in the photos you see online or in mags (strange?).

Anyway that my .
Old 10-14-2005, 09:28 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
its funny, you come onto an acura enthusiest website and tell everyone how much better your IS350 is and at 10K more......

congrats on your purchase, thats what the car talk forum is for.......
Old 10-14-2005, 09:29 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by freddy202022

Bottom line.....you should get a better car for 5-$10K more. I'd be pissed if I didn't. However, let's not compare these two cars since they are completely different vehicles and market segments. Now, an S4 or C55 is a better comparison. Then the IS350 looks like a bargain.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:31 PM
Banned

STOP

They are not 10k more, period. You dont get to compare the Is350 to the non-navi TL at 32k. If you want to compare Lexus' top dog you compare it to the Loaded Aspec which is 40-41k. (So it's actually only 3-4k more expensive)
Old 10-14-2005, 09:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by trancemission
its funny, you come onto an acura enthusiest website and tell everyone how much better your IS350 is and at 10K more......

congrats on your purchase, thats what the car talk forum is for.......
You didnt read what he wrote did you?

He owns BOTH and was giving a VERY useful opinion from an OWNER of BOTH VEHICLES.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:39 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Best of Both Worlds....

Congrats on the purchase!

I appreciate your objective views of both cars. It's nice you can appreciate each of them and recognizing they are different and not as much one better than other.

I'd like to hear your comparisions further down the road, after the initial new car honeymoon has settled. I like both Acura & Lexus, but felt Acura offered what I wanted for MY tastes and MY budget. That doesn't mean it is the best car for everyone on the planet. We have a new GS in the family corral. It is truly a very nice car, but for me, not 15K+ nicer. And yes, it too has rattles. The IS is a closer comparo to the TL, but again different animals, primarily in drivetrain layout.

Please follow up with a pros and cons comparo in a few months....I would find it a valuable read from one who appreciates both the TL and IS. Almost any car is decent in initial delivery. Let us know how the IS wears in, as we already have 2+ years of info on the 3rd Gen TL. No car is perfect, and likely you will find idiocyncracies of the IS as well.

You may have the best of both worlds....the TL will highlight what you love about the IS and the IS may compliment what we love about the TL.

Am I turning green yet???

Cheers!
Old 10-14-2005, 10:00 PM
Racer

I'm sure we'll have this same discussion around this time next year when the new G (sedan) arrives. We're planning to buy a 06 TL as early as next week. We'll take a look at the new IS, but I think the rear seat of the IS will be a deal-breaker for us. We also know that this will be the final year of the G so it looks like the TL will be our choice.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:00 PM
Racer

The TL is not cheaply made its POORLY made. Build quality is horrendous on the vehicle and definitely worse than the Accord. Why? Dont ask me, it just is. Rattles, trunk misalignments, exhausts sitting unevenly, and more rattles. Accords are built like a rock on the otherhand.
Lexus takes the extra step in making sure the car is damn near perfect before it leaves the factory. It may be a culture difference, in Japan work is your life, they take their performance more seriously than we do in the US. They abide by the idea that if you built it right it wont have to be repaired, here, we think we should built it and if someone is picky enough to notice the shit, they'll get it fixed.
Even though Lexus makes you pay for that quality, Acura's build quality compounded by poor customer service is a shame.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:16 PM
HMFIC

Originally Posted by ElmerHiggins
The TL is not cheaply made its POORLY made. Build quality is horrendous on the vehicle and definitely worse than the Accord. Why? Dont ask me, it just is. Rattles, trunk misalignments, exhausts sitting unevenly, and more rattles. Accords are built like a rock on the otherhand.
Lexus takes the extra step in making sure the car is damn near perfect before it leaves the factory. It may be a culture difference, in Japan work is your life, they take their performance more seriously than we do in the US. They abide by the idea that if you built it right it wont have to be repaired, here, we think we should built it and if someone is picky enough to notice the shit, they'll get it fixed.
Even though Lexus makes you pay for that quality, Acura's build quality compounded by poor customer service is a shame.
US Accords are built in Ohio. My TL is nearly perfect, perhaps you have a bad egg?
Old 10-14-2005, 11:36 PM
Advanced

I haven't had any of these problems at all with my TL either.... its been flawless!

David 05 TL/6M/NAV
Old 10-14-2005, 11:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KilroyR1
US Accords are built in Ohio. My TL is nearly perfect, perhaps you have a bad egg?
of course he has a bad egg. didn't you see his bitchfest of a thread. "i hate acura, i hate them! i'm telling all my friends not to buy acura!"
the new ISs dash material looks and feels cheap. take that!
Old 10-15-2005, 12:02 AM
Burning Brakes

also remember that the people with problems are a small portion of all owners. it's just that they bitch and moan very loudly
Old 10-15-2005, 12:30 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mickey3c
Better yet get dam acura to fix the quality problems. Saying you will live with it does not encourage them to fix them.. Blind loyalty does not do anything for the product.

I would rather have a car that does not have quite as many features for the same or less money and not have rattles. And for 10K more you never know, maybe the IS will not suffer from as many product issues and last much longer than the TL.

Saying the TL is Value priced means cheap. My issue is that they get some upgraded materials for as cheap as they can and put the tl together, resulting in rattles, etc...
Totally agree! I've mentioned the poor build quality of my TL in other posts, so no use repeating again. Not totally dissatisfied, but not totally happy with the TL either.

Congrats on the IS350!
Old 10-15-2005, 12:42 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DavidPax
I haven't had any of these problems at all with my TL either.... its been flawless!

David 05 TL/6M/NAV
Alright, I wasn't going do this, but oh well...

I was like you at the beginnig (I bought on 8/6/05) all happy and crap. Then I started noticing poor build quality in the TL. If Acura is going to put trapazoidal exhaust tips, damn, weld the freakin' things straight (see https://acurazine.com/forums/technology-16/windows-update-124056/) . Then there's the gap between the hood and headlights/grill, ashy dash, rear center armrest's pulldown strap was sewn on crooked). Yeah, my fault for not checking the car out carefully before I took it off the lot, but heck for $35K I shouldn't have to!!!

David, not sure how long you've had you TL, but start looking carefully. You'll find something.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:50 AM
Pro

infinty m45 is banging...very nice sedan..or the new g35 sedan is a killer too...
Old 10-15-2005, 02:29 AM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow a lot of haters in this thread that are in denial. No matter what they say the IS350 is a bad ass car and is worth every extra penny that you spent. Lexus is on top of their game and everyone else is scrambling to catch up. Congratulation on the new car.

Isn’t it sad that Lexus entry level car is better than Acura’s second highest car in the their line up.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:18 AM
mio
Police

Originally Posted by ElmerHiggins
U should go Fuk acura instead of typing. hurry up!
Old 10-15-2005, 03:28 AM
mio
Police

Originally Posted by Donte99TL
Isn’t it sad that Lexus entry level car is better than Acura’s second highest car in the their line up.
that Lexus entry level is better than the Lexus second level: ES, or even better than the new GS300, what u gonna say then?
Old 10-15-2005, 04:53 AM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You comment still doesn't change the fact that my statement is true.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:41 AM

Wow.. i keep hearing all of these negative remarks about the TL and it really suprises me. I havent seen one bad problem yet. I had the first generation TL and the 3rd generation blows it away... FAR, FAR, AWAY! And it was also running at the same price then! This line has evolved way too much and should be looked at its past generations also. Its like those who buy Mustang Cobras.. but nothing much has changed inside of the car compared to 2 generations before. I feel Acura is coming along very well.

Quick Reply: Just Got my IS350