Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just dropped my car off.....not happy.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 08:30 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just dropped my car off.....not happy.

I literally just walked in the door from dropping off my car for my first A1 service. My car was delivered on June 7, 2005 and I now have 6200 miles on it. I brought my car to Park Ave Acura in Paramus, where I purchased it. I sat down w/the service rep and said I was here for an A1 service and that I also wanted them to check the sub woofer b/c I'm getting a rattle and my drivers side window squeaks when it goes up depending on the weather. When I went in to make my appointment last week they said the service was $36.95 so when I dropped it off today I questioned the price and the rep slid a piece of paper over saying the service was $101.00 give or take a few $$$ which included oil change, tire rotation, inspect hoses, belts, breaks, etc. etc. etc. Then I asked how much for just the oil change, and that was $36. I said well just give me the oil change b/c I can't justify paying $101 for an oil change and tire rotation. I told him I can get the tires rotated down the road for $10. He responded with, "well why did you bring your car here for service then?" I said because I bought it here. He also said that he wasn't supposed to give me a loaner w/just an oil change but he would do it for me this time. Then there is a TSX loaner sitting right there and I get a Suzuki Verona as a loaner. As I'm writing this I'm getting more and more pissed off on the way I was handled and I don't even have my car back yet!! I can guarantee that they are going to say they found no rattles in the sub and the window is fine. When I had my integra I use to go to Wayne Acura and was handled very well, figured I'd get the same service here, but I didn't!!! I spent $35K including taxes on a car and this is the way I'm handled?? Sorry, I'm just venting a little.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:40 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not really sure what your so upset about(man people can whine). First, the service managers right...you are handed a piece of paper at the time of sale that specifies their prices for all services. If you had looked at it you could have then determined that it was too much...and thus could have taken it to a local garage. Second, you got a freakin loaner car for an oil change...think about that...who cares what kind of car it is...your lucky you got one(most dealers specify that they need at least 2 weeks in advance and 6 hours of labor to give you a loaner)...It anger me because part of my business is service and people like you are impossible to deal with...always want something for nothing and bitch when they give it to you...sorry but theres my vent to you
Old 08-09-2005, 08:41 AM
Bring It

I'd take your car to another dealer that is in the area next time around.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:49 AM
Instructor

I'm sorry but I really can't justify paying over a $100 for an oil change and tire rotation. Then to be question on why did I bring my car there???
Old 08-09-2005, 08:54 AM
Instructor

You just answered your own problem...If you cant justify bringing your car for the price they have established(its not only you getting those prices buddy)...then why did you bring it there(thats what the service manager was asking)
Old 08-09-2005, 08:59 AM
Instructor

And other people have told them to do just the oil change service. Did they get an attitude when they said not to do the full service?
Old 08-09-2005, 09:06 AM
yargle.

Sorry to hear that... I would have had a fit at the dealership.

My opinion is that Wayne Acura is so much more professional about doing things. Coffee and fresh bagels with so many condiments in the morning too! We got the car from there and basically send it there for any small problems... except for oil changes.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:13 AM
Safety Car

Don't they give you a survey of some sort after the service?
Old 08-09-2005, 09:17 AM
Banned

:wtf:

I work in a dealership and if a service advisor treated one of our customers like papa was treated, he would be looking for employment elsewhere... "Why did you bring your car here?" 100% unacceptable.

I guess I would try another dealership in the area but expect the price for "services" to be a little on the high side. You could also look for a reputable repair shop in the area that deals with Honda/Acura since their labor hour is normally a bit cheaper. I service my own vehicle so I only take my car to the dealership for anything warranty is going to cover. If you are ever dissatisfied in the future with how you are being treated, talk to a manager immediately rather than vent on a message board. Your results should improve... Good luck!
Old 08-09-2005, 09:17 AM
321 whp SAE

Originally Posted by levyfresh
Not really sure what your so upset about(man people can whine). First, the service managers right...you are handed a piece of paper at the time of sale that specifies their prices for all services. If you had looked at it you could have then determined that it was too much...and thus could have taken it to a local garage. Second, you got a freakin loaner car for an oil change...think about that...who cares what kind of car it is...your lucky you got one(most dealers specify that they need at least 2 weeks in advance and 6 hours of labor to give you a loaner)...It anger me because part of my business is service and people like you are impossible to deal with...always want something for nothing and bitch when they give it to you...sorry but theres my vent to you
You have no idea what you're talking about.. you said you're in service? I would hate to go to your place of work and deal with you. Customer service by definition is to make people happy. Number 1 .. you SHOULD at least have an Acura loaner, not some piece of shit. Like he said. You don't pay 35k to be handed a shitty loaner.. I've had mainly Audis and their service is great. Nothing but the best treatment. ie.. quick service.. reasonably priced... AUDI loaners. And the service reps never mouthed off no matter what, like this acura asshole did. Customer service is such an important thing, people like you just don't understand.. good service brings people back which = more money. I think YOu are in the wrong line of work bro... You give NY'ers a bad name... :angryfire
Old 08-09-2005, 09:19 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
$36 (US) is an expensive oil change. I pay $32.50 CDN dollars here! It looks like the dealers south of the border overcharge a fair bit (not that they don't do it here, but to less of a degree). My A/C evac and recharge was only $92.50...
Old 08-09-2005, 09:23 AM
Instructor

Exactly bklynpanman. I now have a bad taste in my mouth about their service department and will probably not go back there. At least just say "ok, you just want the oil change" that's fine. But don't give me an attitude about not getting the full service. About the loaner, there was a TSX sitting right outside the door I could have gotten, but I didn't. Can I handle driving a Suzuki, sure, but I just thought I would have been treated differently.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bklynpanman
You have no idea what you're talking about.. you said you're in service? I would hate to go to your place of work and deal with you. Customer service by definition is to make people happy. Number 1 .. you SHOULD at least have an Acura loaner, not some piece of shit. Like he said. You don't pay 35k to be handed a shitty loaner.. I've had mainly Audis and their service is great. Nothing but the best treatment. ie.. quick service.. reasonably priced... AUDI loaners. And the service reps never mouthed off no matter what, like this acura asshole did. Customer service is such an important thing, people like you just don't understand.. good service brings people back which = more money. I think YOu are in the wrong line of work bro... You give NY'ers a bad name... :angryfire

and though I didn't cover the loaner situation, I have to agree. When I took my TSX (which I bought elsewhere) they were giving me TL loaners so I bit the bullet and traded my TSX for an 05' TL. customer service = profit...
Old 08-09-2005, 09:42 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bklynpanman
First I said one part of my business is service...As in repair and maintenance...I agree that customer service is a huge part of business(I guess I have no idea being that our business has been here for over 36 years smart ass) but my point is that a custmer service rep or manager has a set schedule laid out for what he must receive in payment...You are entering his office and telling him that his prices are too high(and lets be serious...He would not have had that response if he wasnt subjected to a little bit of abuse on your part) He doesnt have control over those prices...I also agree that it would be nice to have a loaner car that matched your car but lets be serious, your getting an oil change...the money that this will bring in probably equates to the gas you'll use in the loaner... and bklynpanman your only getting one side of the story, I get to see both sides as a consumer and a retailer...believe me its not as one-sided as this appears to be.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Papaman677
Exactly bklynpanman. I now have a bad taste in my mouth about their service department and will probably not go back there. At least just say "ok, you just want the oil change" that's fine. But don't give me an attitude about not getting the full service. About the loaner, there was a TSX sitting right outside the door I could have gotten, but I didn't. Can I handle driving a Suzuki, sure, but I just thought I would have been treated differently.
And telling him that you can go down the road for a tire rotation isnt giving him attitude?
Old 08-09-2005, 09:48 AM
Instructor

Actually I didn't go in there with any sort of attitude. I just stated what was wrong, and stated i didn't want the full service b/c i thought the price was too high to move 4 tires and get my oil changed, and wha'ts to inspect the breaks, hoses, belts etc. they take a quick glance and it ans say it's ok? Yeah $100 for that service sounds like a steal to me (sarcastic tone)
Old 08-09-2005, 09:59 AM
Instructor

ok so let me get this straight...you just stated(sarcastic tone) that you could politely go down the road and get your tires rotated for 10 bucks and then you stated that his prices where a bit too high...So he asked why you brought the car to him if you can pay 10 bucks down the road...why is he too blame?
Old 08-09-2005, 09:59 AM
Team Pumkin

And telling him that you can go down the road for a tire rotation isnt giving him attitude?
No its not!! geeeezzz. in no uncertain terms its telling the service writer that a customer can go down the road and pay less for the exact same tire rotation, hence perhaps the service writer can now inform his superiors about a direct competitor and therefore adjust their rates so they inturn don't loose buisness (but then perhaps they don't care)

BD
Old 08-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Racer

Reread his post...He said "Why did you bring the car in for service then?"

Why don't you try saying that to a customer and not sound like you are giving them an attitude and see how they react to you.

Your company may have been around for 36 years and customr service may be one of their strong points...but it's obvious you don't have a clue.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:07 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm sorry but I really can't justify paying over a $100 for an oil change and tire rotation. Then to be question on why did I bring my car there???
Many of us cannot justify paying over $100 for an oil change. Having that said, you need to understand why you're paying that price.

1) you are help paying for the facility
2) you are help paying for the acura employee's salary
3) you are help paying for the cost of oil / equipments

If it's too expensive, why not just do it yourself for less than $15
Old 08-09-2005, 10:11 AM
6MT & LSD

I thought it was a known fact that dealerships love to rip off their customers (hence the word "stealership").

If they suddenly changed their service fee, from 35~ to 100~, then I see why you're pissed; but more than likely, they probably quoted you just for an oil change when you asked them earlier and then tried to charge you for the full service (which is what most businesses do - they quote you the cheapest price, which is why you have to be specific when asking for a quote).

As far as the loaner is concerned, the TSX you saw may have been reserved for another customer. I personally think they did you a favor by giving you a loaner just for an oil change. Think of it this way; at least you don't have to put up with their age limit BS on the loaners... this gets me every f'ing time.

Just remember that you only need to go to the dealership for warranty services and/or important issues... for other regular services, there are cheaper places.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Yes, but you must understand "Customers are always right", you are there to provide services, accept complaints, and listen to problems. That's the whole point of SALES, if one cannot handle it, then one should get an office job.

I am tired of listening to people in sales complain about customer's attitudes. Customer are allow to give attitudes, but it does NOT go both ways.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:31 AM
Instructor

I don't thing me saying that I can get a tire roataion for over $60 cheaper is giving the service guy attitude. I didn't say it in a sarcastic or angry way, I just said I just wanted the oil change b/c I could have my tires rotated for $10 at the shop down the road from me. As far as the loaner, i'm not really complaining about that, it's not like i'm going to be driving it for that long. Yeah, maybe the TSX was already loaned out, which is fine. I was just not pleased with the way i was handled. I'm waiting to see what happens when i go back. And as a customer I try not to be a dick. I worked retail for many years, and am now a teacher and real estate agent. I deal with people all the time and know what it's like to be on the other end.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:33 AM
Instructor

Didnt your mother ever tell you to treat people with the same respect that you wish to be treated with? Just because your a customer does not give you the right to abuse another person verbally...
Old 08-09-2005, 10:35 AM
Instructor

I don't thing me saying that I can get a tire roataion for over $60 cheaper is giving the service guy attitude. I didn't say it in a sarcastic or angry way, I just said I just wanted the oil change b/c I could have my tires rotated for $10 at the shop down the road from me. As far as the loaner, i'm not really complaining about that, it's not like i'm going to be driving it for that long. Yeah, maybe the TSX was already loaned out, which is fine. I was just not pleased with the way i was handled. I'm waiting to see what happens when i go back. And as a customer I try not to be a dick. I worked retail for many years, and am now a teacher and real estate agent. I deal with people all the time and know what it's like to be on the other end.
If you truly didnt give hime attitude then I apologize and your right you didnt deserve to be treated that way...But I just sensed that there was more to it then just him being a prick...ie his attitude was in response to yours...but if im wrong im wrong
Old 08-09-2005, 10:36 AM
Instructor

How did I abuse this guy verbally? Last time I checked I have the right to try to save my own money. It would be different if I went in there yelling at him demanding he give me the full service for $36, but all i said was just do the oil change b/c i can get the tires rotated down the road for $10.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:42 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Try using Ramsey Acura a few miles up route 17. I got the car from them and had the A1 service done there last saturday. The oil change plus tire rotation was around $60. Only had about 4800 miles on it which thought premature for a rotation but they didn't insist on it. This service was a bring in and wait deal so don't think they usually offer loaners but when I arrived I asked for one so could run some errands instead of sitting there for an hour. They obliged with no hassle and handed me the keys to an 03 Civic. If I had some warranty service being done with a reserved loaner I would have complained about the Civic, under the circumstances I was very happy they let me have a loaner at all. Ramsey Acura service rep's seem very professional and courteous, as any customer service should be, but people are people and dealing with the public can be frustrating. Not saying Papa gave his dealer any atitude but some people do and service employees can react poorly. But in any case not justifying any service rep's atitude, it seems that anyone who deals with the public should have courses in how to make the customer always feel comfortable no matter what they want (be it dealerships, banks, hospitals,doctor's offices etc) but apparently they don't.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:51 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You should definitely treat others as you would like to be treated but some people don't subsribe to that notion. Your job as a saleperson or customer is to just be as nice as you can. I assume that Papaman677 was nice when he said he could go somewhere else and get the tires rotated for a cheaper price. There is no problem pointing out a competitor's lower prices. Money talks and the best way to combat high prices and rude salespeople is to talk with a manager and tell them that you will not be patronizing them anymore and you will not recommmend them to others.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:52 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Reading the thread again, and once more not justifying the dealer rep's atitude which was completly wrong, believe what triggered his reaction was the fact that you told him you could do the rotation cheaper elsewhere. I think you would have been better off just telling him to skip the rotation without saying why. Again even if the guy in his own mind thought that you were being cheap he should not have questioned why you brought the car in at all. That was unacceptable.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:04 AM
Instructor

How did I abuse this guy verbally? Last time I checked I have the right to try to save my own money. It would be different if I went in there yelling at him demanding he give me the full service for $36, but all i said was just do the oil change b/c i can get the tires rotated down the road for $10.
I was referring to the Main Events comments
Old 08-09-2005, 11:06 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AMIC
You should definitely treat others as you would like to be treated but some people don't subsribe to that notion. Your job as a saleperson or customer is to just be as nice as you can. I assume that Papaman677 was nice when he said he could go somewhere else and get the tires rotated for a cheaper price. There is no problem pointing out a competitor's lower prices. Money talks and the best way to combat high prices and rude salespeople is to talk with a manager and tell them that you will not be patronizing them anymore and you will not recommmend them to others.
Your right but being on the other end I assumed that he wasnt nice...only 2 people know I guess
Old 08-09-2005, 11:10 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Let this be another example why people should take the time to learn to do this type of work themselves. Get yourself a jack, some stands, wrench for drain plug, wrench for oil filter, oil and oil filter. Slide under there and do it yourself - otherwise the way the world is headed be prepared to deal with service departments and sometimes the lack of interpersonal skills that breed there. Not all are bad - there are a few good ones, but I too have gotten rude treatment - usually when the guy tries to blow smoke up my ass and I call him out on it - then it turns nasty. But if I were to bend over further and say please sir may I have another - the conversation would have been smooth and happy.

The only point I agree with from the Customer Service rep point of view - there are some customers who are just plain asses. (NOT the guy who started this thread) - some people are just rude and think they are of some higher worth and can crap on anyone they feel. BUT, I have witnessed more than my share of people in the Customer Service business who have zero people skills, short fuses, bad attitude and do not take pride in their work. My favorite is calling Cablevision - they are good for a chuckle or a rise in Blood Pressure. Anyway - you went in for a couple rattles as well - there is the reason to expect a loaner - I think that came up in the discussion here. Now it not being an acura - well, I personally do not care. If it is a safe car, to me that is not a big deal. Well, I have nothing else to add other than DIY in the future and save all this aggravation. Cause now the guy is just gonna have his buddy F with your car.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like both the service writer and customer were having a bad day...

I have had some sarcastic service writers in my day, but I usually do not decide to go toe to toe with them over whatever their little world is and I do not expect them to be overly concerned about my little world either.

I got to agree to a point here where 100+ for bascially an oil change is too much. But then you do not have to do it all. All that should be decided up front when you call for the appt. You tell them you will wait and that's all you have to do. 10 bucks for tire rotation... I do not know where you can get that done that cheap. But no matter. Tires should not have to be rotated at each oil change. Even 6000 miles. If the car is properly aligned and all you can rotate them at the 1/2 life.

I do look at the labor rate and wonder what the hell am I paying since it appears that labor is like 90/hr. I am sure that gets some people's boxers in a knot.

The service writer was wrong to make a comment like that. I have heard customers make comments before and the writer has to be a bit thick skinned in some cases. As for the customer, well I have had them as well and they can be a bit over the top.

Set your expectations up front. If you do not want the entire service and still need a loaner than ask. If there are some policies around this then understand what they are. If you were promised a loaner even for a 36.00 oil change, then you should get it. I am sure whenever you get a loaner you need to replace the gas you use (well roughly that is).
Old 08-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Instructor

That would make me pretty heated. Almost sounds like you are doing them a favor bringing in your car for service. I actually had the same A1 service done, tire rotation, etc. and I told them my window squealed on the way down. It took them about half an hour and the final cost was $42.00. They fixed the sqeal. It included a free wash. The only reason I didn't go to a local shop, I have a camel interior and I didn't trust them enough not to have the same guy changing my oil driving my car outside. I have enough problems keeping that interior spotless without that potential nightmare...
Old 08-09-2005, 11:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
What has gone unsaid is that, when you pay $35,000 for a car, giving the dealership a nice profit of several thousand dollars, part of the sales pitch is usually the excellent treatment you will receive in the service dept.

I was introduced to MY OWN service writer and was told he would take care of my every need.

It's follow up.

Of course, I haven't been back since I picked up the car over a year ago. I do my own oil changes.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:49 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
One local dealer offers $10 oil change coupons so I go in there for that and just wait on it on a Saturday. I don't expect a loaner on an oil change, it's hard enough to get loaners on a major service sometimes.
No other service work is done on my car there unless it is warranty. Well they did tell me my battery was bad and sold me a new one last time, it was about 2.5 years old I guess.

Some dealer people can be very frustrating esp if you just shelled out big $ on the car. I try to just stay away from there unless absolutely necessary. I bought my CLS privately anyway.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
No loaner for just an oil change is standard procedure at 99% of Acura dealerships, even the best of dealerships. They can't justify the expense.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:25 PM
'05 TL NBP/Ebony Auto

sorry to here that papaman, i bought my TL from the same dealership and get my service at park ave in maywood also. i have nothing but great things to say about both places/staffs from my own experiences. i recently had a windshield replaced at the service dept, and while being more money than i was quoted elsewhere, the service was great and i had a TSX all day. they actually installed a scratched up windshield somehow, which i noticed a few days later, and they gave me no problem at all about having it replaced.

so far i'd give them both perfect ratings
Old 08-09-2005, 04:54 PM
Instructor

You just answered your own problem...If you cant justify bringing your car for the price they have established(its not only you getting those prices buddy)...then why did you bring it there(thats what the service manager was asking)
What an asshole.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mxtt
What an asshole.
THanks for your intelligent contribution to this thread

Quick Reply: Just dropped my car off.....not happy.