3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just did my first install (AEM CAI)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Racquetballer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Just did my first install (AEM CAI)

So I just completed my first big install on my TL and I must say I was pretty scared it wouldn't turn out good but agains all odds, I completed the install in around four hours (took some breaks, and I'm a NOOB) and it turned out great . I bought an an AEM CAI a couple days ago and just got around to installing it on my 05 NBP AT and absolutely love the performance gain and the sound it makes when you get on it.

I do have a question for all you advanced/experienced members who have an intake installed. I woke up this morning wanting to take another test drive in my car, but when I was accelerating, I noticed a high pitch whine/whistle during a certain part of the acceleration. If I held the pedal down and kept the same speed while producing this noise, I would continue to hear it. If I kept accelerating, it would go away once I passed around 30 mph or so (>3000 rpm). Has anyone experienced this before? I don't think it's supposed to be there and I'm kinda worried. Could it be from the car being cold? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:40 PM
Advanced

hey guys, i had a similar concern, however it was around 1900-2300 rpm range where there was a hissing sound. it would remain constant if i kept my foot on the gas and in that rpm range, but would go away if i went above or below that. it is the same whether the car is cold or hot. perhaps it's just the cai gasping for air??
Old 10-05-2007, 02:18 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Hissing is normal with a CAI, but as you've both noticed, it only happens for a brief period while accelerating. If you accelerate more quickly, you'll never hear it.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:19 PM
Racquetballer

Re: CAI whistle

I just went for another drive and it seems to be in the second gear range. I don't think I'm gonna be able to live with it if this is normal. Sounds like somethings maybe loose, but I checked and re-checked all my connections and was painstakingly careful of not messing anything up since this was my first mod and am a noob. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this situation.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:04 PM
Instructor

I've installed AEM on all my Honda(s) and it's all the same. It has the whistling sound. That is the characteristic of the CAI. It's sucking air that's what it is.

If you can't live with the whistling because it's normal, sell the AEM kit to me
Old 10-06-2007, 09:24 PM
....just dancing in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow....here I am debating to do the same install next weekend. Sure hope this is not the true characteristic of all CAI.....little help here!!!
Old 10-06-2007, 10:19 PM
iLL TL 4U2Try

The whisttling sound is the best part
Old 10-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Intermediate

Has anyone tried dynomate on the CAI tube to help reduce the noise?
Old 10-06-2007, 11:28 PM
Banned

why would you want to reduce noise.. one of the main purposes is for the crazy noise and the minor HP gain..
Old 10-07-2007, 12:01 AM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by krmerritt
So I just completed my first big install on my TL and I must say I was pretty scared it wouldn't turn out good but agains all odds, I completed the install in around four hours (took some breaks, and I'm a NOOB) and it turned out great . I bought an an AEM CAI a couple days ago and just got around to installing it on my 05 NBP AT and absolutely love the performance gain and the sound it makes when you get on it.

I do have a question for all you advanced/experienced members who have an intake installed. I woke up this morning wanting to take another test drive in my car, but when I was accelerating, I noticed a high pitch whine/whistle during a certain part of the acceleration. If I held the pedal down and kept the same speed while producing this noise, I would continue to hear it. If I kept accelerating, it would go away once I passed around 30 mph or so (>3000 rpm). Has anyone experienced this before? I don't think it's supposed to be there and I'm kinda worried. Could it be from the car being cold? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hey, did you have the weird Noise before you did the AEM install?

If so, this is what was the problem with my car, if it's a rattling/hissing noise I suspect it is the HEAT SHIELD rattling, the dealership couldnt fix it until i told them to Tighten the bolts on the shield because when it's manufactured it's not tightened or placed on correctly.

This would noise would ONLY occur when I would hit 2.5k-3k RPM and MPH of 30-45mphs.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:45 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i have a slight whistle/hiss but its very brief; i love the growl of the intake.

side note; i'll be in monterey next weekend I think!
Old 10-07-2007, 01:18 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What???? Get rid of the whistle??? What next the growl??? Hell naw!!! Mine whistles, briefly like stated previously, but not that much cuz I PUNCH IT!!! Hahahahahaha!!
Old 10-07-2007, 08:56 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
I really dont hear any whistling from mine. Keep in mind that with your window open that intake is pretty much right under your nose. I would go back and make sure all your clamps are tight. Other than that I cant think of anything else to tell you.

The AEM is loud, thats the one thing i love about it..
Old 10-07-2007, 09:05 AM
Racer

I have asked the same question when I put my CAI on......and it seems normal, lots of people have it.
I have made sure all the clamps were tight and made sure the filter was placed on there right.....I even bought a new filter thinking it could of been the filter making the whistle sound.....
I even took the cone filter out and accelerated and it seems that when the air rushes in the tube it makes a whistle.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
if the sound is more along the lines of a hissing sound, then it is normal. This happens with the stock intake or any other intake you might install. It's just that with the stock unit, it is "muffled" by the stock intake and the silencer. What you are hearing (again, if it is hissing) happens regards of which intake you have or non at all for that matter.

Oh, and what it is, is the sound of the air rushing past the throttle plate as you begin to crack it open. Remember, a reciprocating piston engine is nothing more than a pump and it is trying its best to draw air into its cylinders. The intake manifold has a high amount of vacuum (probably on the order of 20+ inches of mercury at idle). The hissing is the sound of rushing air trying to fill that vacuum.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:41 AM
trees grow in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The best part is when you shut off your engine after a drive, you will hear a short "pssssst" sound, its sooo sweet, open your door next time right before you shut off your engine, you will know what im talking about.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:19 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The sounds that the AEM CAI makes is part of the deal of having one, I wouldn't call it noise> I have had one on my TL since the vehicle had close to 200 miles and have cleaned it once now at 32K....I love it and did the same with my Rubicon.....
My JK

My TL
Old 10-07-2007, 02:25 PM
My TL can do this, too!

Whistlin?

That's only in tha' mo'nin! People should be up anyway, makin' breakfast!
Old 10-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Racquetballer

Thumbs up AEM Intake

lusid: I did not have the noise before the install. This is a new noise and is separate from the growl at higher rpm's. It seems to be a normal part of the CAI.

Timmah: You should have a good time in Monterey if it's not too cold. Are you just passing through?

Everyone else: Thank you so much for getting rid of my worries. It sounds like all the noises are perfectly normal and I absolutely love the growl when I get on it. I've already gone through a tank of gas just so I can hear the engine when the VTEC opens up. I have actually chirped the front tires in second gear going from 25 mph coasting to punching it to the floor. It was quite impressive. It's also good to hear that these noises are normal because it means I did the install correctly (even to the "thump" when I turn off the engine). I just took my lower front grilles off to do the mesh mod. (https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...8&page=5&pp=25)
I had the itch to keep changing stuff and figured this would be a nice addition/change against my NBP.

Thanks everyone again for your comments. I absolutely have no regrets for this mod and encourage others who were thinking about it to go for it. And if you can, do it yourself. There's nothing like gettin to know your car from the inside out. From the comments that most people make when I tell them about my CAI install, is the install on the TL longer for intake installs on most other cars? A lot of people seem to think a general CAI install only takes a few minutes (<30 min).
Old 10-08-2007, 01:04 AM
NBP REPRESENT

it is a very noticeable difference in acceleation with the CAI...i love the noise it makes when you punch it...

FLOOR IT!!!!!!
Old 10-08-2007, 05:11 AM
Burning Brakes

I put an AEM on my '01 CL-S, and the howl was so bad I took it off a week later.
I put a K&N on my '05, and you could hardly tell it was on except at WOT, and then it sounded great. From my experience (don't flame me), the K&N seems to me made of thicker and more durable metal, thus quieter when you don't want the obtrusive sound.
K&N does not make a system for my '07 TL-S yet but when it comes out I'm going to try it. Especially with the '07 leaning more towards the luxury end, I only want the good sounds when I want them. Not all the time
Old 10-08-2007, 07:51 AM
Unshunned

Talking whooo whooo!

Originally Posted by rksokol
That's only in tha' mo'nin! People should be up anyway, makin' breakfast!
lmao!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmvjwOgVoVs
Old 10-08-2007, 08:04 AM
J35A8

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
May I ask what performance gains do you get with the CAI and how bad does it affect your MPG?
Old 10-08-2007, 08:40 AM
Racquetballer

Was wonderin the same thing

Originally Posted by korrupted
May I ask what performance gains do you get with the CAI and how bad does it affect your MPG?

I know that there's an increase in whp, but how much I can't tell ya. As far as affecting MPG, I believe it supposed to increase as well but don't know yet because I can't stop punching it to hear the growl. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong and if possible, post a before/after dyno test and or some stats on the matter. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Racquetballer

Originally Posted by berzerker
Was curious to see the video and the link doesn't work. Video has been removed from YouTube.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Racer

This must be the first intake you guys have put on cars. The hissing is normal for aftermarket CAI/FIPK, etc.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Racquetballer

Originally Posted by SuperStar
This must be the first intake you guys have put on cars. The hissing is normal for aftermarket CAI/FIPK, etc.
How'd you guess??? Ha yeah this is my first CAI install and again am glad to hear everyone agrees that the sounds are normal. My last car was a 2003 Tahoe and all I had done to it was have Flowmaster exhaust installed. Never attempted anything like this before.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by korrupted
Before installing my AEM CAI i used to get 17-18 mpg, now i get 19-20 average.