Just changed my oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009 | 11:53 PM
Stop Drop and Roll

Just changed my oil

...For the first time by myself. I've always been taking it to the dealership, but now I am going to do it on my own from now on. Everything was easily accesible and the DIY in the garage was really helpful.

The shittiest part was trying to take the bolt off. Whoever put it on last time sure did a helluva job that it required a power tool to loosen it.

The other thing I wasn't expecting was the oil to shoot out at an angle instead of a straight drip and getting oil all over the place and not into the holder. Im guessing a quart or two dripped onto the driveway

Next item in line...tranny fluid and brake fluid.
Old 08-17-2009 | 12:34 AM
Advanced

haha i remember my first time i striped the bolt so i had to take it in second time the oil got all over my drivewayit gets easier every time anyway congrats your gonna save your self some money from now on
Old 08-17-2009 | 12:45 AM
usc
Racer

Did you change the filter?

Don't get me wrong, I like the filter position because it's easy to get to (a lot easier than my old 3rd gen Accord), but for the love of all things holy, the filter gets @#$%ing soaked as you're loosening it.

Oh well, it is what it is.
Old 08-17-2009 | 04:52 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by usc

Don't get me wrong, I like the filter position because it's easy to get to (a lot easier than my old 3rd gen Accord), but for the love of all things holy, the filter gets @#$%ing soaked as you're loosening it.

Try this old trick which I've been using for years. Break the filter loose, but before spinning it off, place a large ziplock bag around it and zip the top shut around the filter mounting neck on the engine. You'll be able to slowly spin the filter off while it's in the bag and all the oil will go in the bag, not on the suspension or on ground. It takes longer to spin off the filter, but you save a lot of time in clean-up.
Old 08-17-2009 | 05:06 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by DanL
Try this old trick which I've been using for years. Break the filter loose, but before spinning it off, place a large ziplock bag around it and zip the top shut around the filter mounting neck on the engine. You'll be able to slowly spin the filter off while it's in the bag and all the oil will go in the bag, not on the suspension or on ground. It takes longer to spin off the filter, but you save a lot of time in clean-up.

Been doing this on both of my 3G TL's ever since I bought them. It is the only way to go.
Old 08-17-2009 | 06:22 AM
Senior Moderator

If you don't want to keep removing and installing your drain plug, you can install one this these:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/ez-drain-704203/

It drains a bit slow but works great!
Old 08-18-2009 | 12:34 AM
Stop Drop and Roll

Originally Posted by usc

Yeah, changed it with a M1 filter along with some M1 oil. Auto Zone was having a sell...$29 for 5 qts and a free filter.

Yeah...the DIY showed the trick of putting the filter in a ziplock bag. I used 2 grocery bags instead though so you avoid making a mess everywhere. I still ended up making a mess with the oil spilling everywhere though. What a PITA.
Old 08-18-2009 | 01:06 AM
Advanced

haha i though ther was a bug on my sceen i was flcking it! lmao
Old 08-18-2009 | 01:59 AM
Burning Brakes

why today I tried to changed my oil but I couldnt get the bolt off.. That shit was tight like a mutherfker..even with wd-40. not enough leverage from under the car.

I usually dont do my own oil change.I got a mechanic up the street. I wanted to make sure..im pushing clockwise right?? filter is the same?
Old 08-18-2009 | 04:22 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by JwongTLS
why today I tried to changed my oil but I couldnt get the bolt off.. That shit was tight like a mutherfker..even with wd-40. not enough leverage from under the car.

I usually dont do my own oil change.I got a mechanic up the street. I wanted to make sure..im pushing clockwise right?? filter is the same?
The secret term... "torque wrench". Be he doesn't use one. Not a real good think with a steel bolt and an aluminum pan.
Old 08-18-2009 | 05:17 AM
Pro

When you say you're "pushing clockwise", which side of the car are you laying on? If you're on the passenger side (the side with the oil filter) and the wrench is on the bolt and hanging straight down, you want to 'pull' the wrench towards the passenger's side, not 'push' it towards the driver's side. You need to turn the bolt anti-clockwise to loosen it.
Old 08-18-2009 | 07:00 AM
Burning Brakes

When you say you're "pushing clockwise", which side of the car are you laying on? If you're on the passenger side (the side with the oil filter) and the wrench is on the bolt and hanging straight down, you want to 'pull' the wrench towards the passenger's side, not 'push' it towards the driver's side. You need to turn the bolt anti-clockwise to loosen it.
gotcha. right on..

I was going by the DIY w/pics but I was kinda confuse that bolt didnt wanna give..just making sure.
Old 08-18-2009 | 07:12 AM
Senior Moderator

im pushing clockwise right?? filter is the same?
Lefty loosey, righty tighty.
Old 08-18-2009 | 07:24 AM
Advanced

if you guys don't know which way to loosen a bolt, you should not be messing around with the car at all, leave it to the pros.

the way i see it, doing your own oil change is mainly not for the sake of saving money, but for the sake of working on your own car and knowing everything is done the way you want it.
Old 08-18-2009 | 07:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nsnrider
if you guys don't know which way to loosen a bolt, you should not be messing around with the car at all, leave it to the pros.

the way i see it, doing your own oil change is mainly not for the sake of saving money, but for the sake of working on your own car and knowing everything is done the way you want it.
Ouch! lol thats some harsh criticism, and Touche on your second point. Its mainly to ensure a quality job is done with quality parts.

But we all have to start somewhere to learn

Another trick to figure out which way to turn the wrench is have it set prior to getting all disoriented under the car. Have the ratchet in your hand, and view it from a top down perspective like a clock. Setting it so that the ratcheting mechanism doesnt "click click click" in the clock wise direction will allow you to loose the bolt:Anti-clockwise = loosen,
Do the opposite and you got, Clockwise = tight.
Old 08-18-2009 | 02:41 PM
One on the right for me

Are you guys just jacking the car up and trying to get the drain bolt off? You do not have nearly the amount of leverage as if you were standing under the car on a rack. While I'm sure some of the drain plugs are put on very tight, most are probably just right and it is the odd angle of being on your back under the car that makes it difficult.
Old 08-19-2009 | 02:37 AM
Stop Drop and Roll

It was physically impossible to take off the bolt with a wrench even with adding extra bars for more leverage. The previous tech at acura most likely over torqued it. I ended up using a power tool to take it off. The next time will be much easier
Old 08-19-2009 | 11:39 AM
Pro

don't forget about reversed threads

Pros? I work on my own car because I don't trust the "pros." No offense. I'm sure there are a few that know what they're doing and find pride in a job well done, however...

Every once in a while I encounter a bolt with reverse threads and I spend tons of time trying to tighten it to get it off.

I broke my $5 socket wrench trying to remove drain plugs. I had to get out my 1/2" drive wrench to finish the job. The swivel neck helps.

Originally Posted by nsnrider

Old 08-19-2009 | 10:58 PM
J23
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JOSER408
haha i though ther was a bug on my sceen i was flcking it! lmao

LOL me too!
Old 08-20-2009 | 02:52 AM
Advanced

https://www.wdcart.com/cremos/catalo...lterWrench.JPG

i bought this, its the best oil filter remover ever. its basically the jaws of life