3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Joining the Volunteer Fire House in my town. Need advice on lights.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 08:29 AM
Riu
2004 TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joining the Volunteer Fire House in my town. Need advice on lights.

Stock 2004 Black Acura TL

I joined the volunteer fire dept in my town and at some point I want to add some lights to my car. Nothing super serious but a few would be nice.

I have had some ideas but am not sure if they are possible.

- I thought it would be cool to have a single light in each of the 4 lights on the side of the car. For those who don't know what lights I am talking about, here is a pic, I circled them. http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/6623/acuraj.jpg

- Another idea I had was to put in some sort of light, maybe flashing or colored (haven't thought of that yet) where my fog lights are. I never use my fog lights anyway. Would it be possible to do and control with the same switch that turns the fog lights on.

- I also need some ideas for the back. I want it to be relatively simple because I don't want to be spending hundreds of $$$ of worthless lights and I don't want it to be overkill.

Thanks for the help and ideas.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:39 AM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
u mean puttin strobe lights in the sidemarkers? i wont fit... that area is too small for a strobe bulb... maybe on ur signals or reverse that i kno it would fit
Old 08-31-2009, 08:44 AM
KICKED IN THE BALLS

Originally Posted by ABP_04TL
u mean puttin strobe lights in the sidemarkers? i wont fit... that area is too small for a strobe bulb... maybe on ur signals or reverse that i kno it would fit
If you can go without your fogs you might be able to replace the bulb where your fog is and you can use the fog light switch as an on and off for your lights. I am talking about the fogs that are in your headlights since you have an 04
Old 08-31-2009, 08:51 AM
Riu
2004 TL

I was just talking to my friend. He said I might be able to hook a flasher device up to the fogs that are in there right now. So when I put them on they would just flash.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:36 AM
Instructor

I have this in blue and clear. Its super bright and I can transfer it to my other car.

http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...og&style=DL099

See this thread too

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ight=tl+strobe

or if you wanna be a real whacker you could do this

http://www.elightbars.org/bb3/viewtopic.php?t=39663
Old 09-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Riu
2004 TL

Anyone have any ideas what will not run me that much money.

SO far I have bought 6 blue lights each one has 3 led's in them and im going to put them in the grill.

I also bought the box that will make my fogs flash.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:53 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a volunteer in pennsylvania the only thing i run with right now is an inside led bar from speed tech lights. SSSSHHHHH ,HA HA most people dont know about this company but there the best deal out there. I have the Quad Elite LED. Look it up on there website http://www.speedtechlights.com/ If I get a chance today I'll post some pictures up.

Best of luck with your lights and be safe brother.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Instructor

Wow site looks good. I really would love one of those opticon emitters lol.

Heres another good site I ve used

http://www.extremetacticaldynamics.com/
Old 09-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Riu
2004 TL

Let me share the site one of my friends showed me. Its based in china and u have to wait about 15-20 days for delivery but its cheap as can be. Im going to check out your site right after I post this. But the site I used for one purchase was http://www.hnbshopping.com click on strobe light or whatever u want on the left side.

I just looked. That site you posted is cool but for many of the things on there it is significantly cheaper on the site I used.

You stay safe to bro. If you guys have any more ideas please be sure to share. Im thinking of doing something in the rear too but I don't know what yet. So far the only thing I can think of doing is making my reverse lights just flash in the same way I plan on doing with my fogs.

Last edited by Riu; 09-02-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Make Nice, Not Rice

I don't get how your firefighter and advice for lights relate to each other..

But thanks for serving the community none the less.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Riu
2004 TL

Cause im looking for like flashing emergency lights... not new headlights lol
Old 09-02-2009, 06:24 PM
05' AT SSM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I came across a TL on photobucket that has emergency lights and scanners etc.

Not sure who this guy is but looks like a pretty nice setup.

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/j...L%20Phase%201/

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/j...L%20Phase%202/

Old 09-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Riu
2004 TL

yea the guy above posted that one.. It does look cool but a bit overkill. I got the WIG WAG flashing system today. Gonna have my cousin put it in tomorrow. I suck at doing those things.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:43 AM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i hope that guy is a cop....

talk to mglax, he intergrated his on/off switch into the open slot by the VSA button. and hes local

also, id put the lights in the bottom grille and on the rear view mirror. and in the back, on the back of the headrest
Old 09-03-2009, 05:18 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
why exactly do you need strobes for your car as a volunteer? do you get to run the roads to actual scenes? if so, where the hell do i sign up?!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:02 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by erick3
why exactly do you need strobes for your car as a volunteer? do you get to run the roads to actual scenes? if so, where the hell do i sign up?!
lol, most of us are volunteers meaning we respond from our homes, jobs and schools to the fire house then get on the firetrucks to respond to the location. The lights simply allow us to get to the fire house faster.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:12 AM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by KzooTL
I came across a TL on photobucket that has emergency lights and scanners etc.

Not sure who this guy is but looks like a pretty nice setup.

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/j...L%20Phase%201/

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/j...L%20Phase%202/

The above looks nice as a show car, but a bit overkill on the roads. I would think the headlamp relays ("wig wags") and a led windshield mounted light in red should do the trick.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
try a regular internet search for the lights you need
They make specialty bars with the RED lights you need- not blue as those are police use only and they are real touchy about it!
Plenty of strobe kits that mount inside the headlights, or a bar inside the lower grill would would fine- with a wigwag for the taillights
Dont strobe the low beam of headlights- its hard on the HID bulbs

Every volunteer's truck I have seen was painted red and had special firefighter license plates too~

Thanks to everyone who performs this vital service across the country, in any country
Old 09-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Team Owner

Due to the police impersonators everywhere- who throw a portable light on the dash or roof and pull people over to rob and/or kill them...

You may be better off with things that are obvious permanent mounted, like behind/in the grill- so you do look official,,,
not just a light on the dash, roof, or rearview mirror (those mirrors are not made to support weight either)
All you are trying to do is get attention to the fact you are coming thru!!
but cant force your way thru
Old 09-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Team Owner

how about getting a vinyl overlay for the top of the windshield- printed backwards (like ambulances have) that says FIREFIGHTER so people see the lights and the word,,
maybe even move over for you like you were the big red truck!!

ck the rules- if you are allowed any type of siren or louder horn!
Old 09-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Don't forget your CB/Scanner and PA with the speaker mounted near the grill, to tell people to MOVE!
Old 09-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd use the wig-wag system for the front fogs that are in the headlights, a blue LED bar that mounts to the front windshield under the rear view mirror and a 2 bulb strobe set (Whelen/Sho-Me) to mount in either the reverse lights or the turn signals.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mrlobaloba
lol, most of us are volunteers meaning we respond from our homes, jobs and schools to the fire house then get on the firetrucks to respond to the location. The lights simply allow us to get to the fire house faster.
DUDE, that is SO BOMB! i'm actually looking into volunteering for our local fire house... didn't just make that up...! INTERESTING man! lol
Old 09-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Riu
2004 TL

Where I live your really only allowed Blue and white in the front of your car as a firefighter.

Thanks for some of the ideas. When I do it all i will post pics to show what i have done
Old 09-03-2009, 05:41 PM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
Brush on the law, they are ILLEGAL in NY state... Volunteers may have blue lights (no siren) with a permit only, also this must be approved by the local chief. You also must obey all traffic signs; be careful, and do find out the details for local county from your local police dept and fire chief.

New York State-
FF - Blue Lights/No Siren
Chief Officers - Red Lights/With Sirens

EMS - Green Lights/No Sirens
EMS Officers - Red Lights/With Sirens
Old 09-03-2009, 09:14 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by erick3
DUDE, that is SO BOMB! i'm actually looking into volunteering for our local fire house... didn't just make that up...! INTERESTING man! lol

It's no joke and it's not for fun. And it's especially not for kids looking for a cheap thrill.

The communities that have Volunteer Fire Departments are usually smaller communities and they rely - like Life & Death rely - on the Volunteers who serve the community.

Here's to the volunteers:
Old 09-04-2009, 08:51 AM
Riu
2004 TL

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
It's no joke and it's not for fun. And it's especially not for kids looking for a cheap thrill.

The communities that have Volunteer Fire Departments are usually smaller communities and they rely - like Life & Death rely - on the Volunteers who serve the community.

You are right. With all the fun that comes with being part of the group of guys and all there is a risk and you have to be willing to take it seriously.

Back to the lights... I put the Wig Wags in the fogs. Its really cool BUT I am not sure how noticeable they are with the HID's being on and being so close to them. If I turn the lights off, they are cool looking but I hope it was worth it even when my HID's are on. Any ideas maybe to make them more visable?
Old 09-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Team Owner

if people dont notice the alternating flashing lights coming in the mirror- nothing is going to make them see them

FIREFIGHTER backwards on the windshield or bumper- so maybe they make the connection...flashing lights- local firefighter,,,hmmm my house could be in danger- better move!!!
Old 09-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Riu
You are right. With all the fun that comes with being part of the group of guys and all there is a risk and you have to be willing to take it seriously.

Back to the lights... I put the Wig Wags in the fogs. Its really cool BUT I am not sure how noticeable they are with the HID's being on and being so close to them. If I turn the lights off, they are cool looking but I hope it was worth it even when my HID's are on. Any ideas maybe to make them more visable?
Rui how about yellow fog light bulbs?

Last edited by mrlobaloba; 09-04-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
those LED blinkers are overkill lol
Old 09-05-2009, 12:03 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bearcat94

awwwwwwwwwwwww, making me feel all stupid but i see your point. but i was being serious about volunteering however
Old 09-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Riu
2004 TL

Those yellows are not to bad of an idea BUT I dont think I am allowed to have yellow in the front has to be white or blue only.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Riu
2004 TL

I was looking at my reverse lights last night.. They are bright enough where I think I could put a wig wag on those too. Thoughts?
Old 09-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Riu
2004 TL

anyone know how I can hook up the wig wags from the front and back and the blues im putting in the front to one switch so i can turn them all on at once.

I dont want 3 boxes that i have to turn on. the wig wags i have are http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...og&style=FS039
Old 09-08-2009, 03:31 PM
2004, SSM, 6-speed, Navi

Received 23 Likes on 2 Posts
Well there are several ways to do that; some harder than others. It really depends on if you want to do it the right way or not.

Use the reverse lights for example, you could just tap into the white and green wires (from the flasher box) going to the fogs (I think that is where you were going to put it), run those through relays that draw power from something else, and attach them to your reverse lights. Then you would have to avoid putting your car in reverse because you will be giving it the power from the regular reverse lights and the power from another source that is flashing them. That will most likely kill your bulbs in my experience.

If I were you, I would get 2 units. Hook the first one up to the reverse lights like it is supposed to be. Then get another and hook it up like it is supposed to be on the fogs. Tap from that one the green and white and run them to the Blue LEDs. The LEDs should use such little power, there should be no problem. If you were to turn on your fogs though, the fog flasher and the and blue LEDs would stop flashing, but the reverse lights would still be flashing.

Then you could take both boxes and mount them in your glove box or under the seat or whereever you like. Run a power wire to a switch you provide. Then run that to the two power wires (red) on the flasher units.

Have the bought units switched 'on' then when you flip your own switch, they will both get power and start the flashing.

Like I said, there are several other ways to do it depending on things like will you for sure not turn your fog switch 'on' while the flashers are on. Hell, you could make your fog light switch turn on the flashers if you never used your stock fogs as regular (non-flashing).

Let me know if you need more help. I once made my own high beam flasher unit out of lots of relays and a turn signal relay that allowed my high beams to work when I wanted, but I could make them flash back and forth too and didn't even need any switches. It all just worked with the certain combination of lights I had on.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
Man, I'd volunteer just to get lights on my car and zoom around
Old 09-08-2009, 05:09 PM
1st Gear

Hi, I'm a cousin.

First off, what kind of fuses does this TL have? ATC or ATM style fuses? And does the fuse box have extra space for another connection?

I was thinking of hooking up the power line of the wig/wag (http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=FS039) to either http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/p4066.html or http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/p4067.html. If I cannot do it this way then I will connect the power line straight to the battery, http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/p4022.html or similar.

Also, how many lights can you put on a single wig/wag? Fogs and reverse lights on a single box would be too much? How about (not a TL) fogs/highs/reverse? It would simplify things if the lights were on one box.

If not, is there a problem connecting the power cable of 2 (or 3) wig/wag units to a single switch and then to the power source? The power to the lights would not fade because of this, right? would a relay need to be involved (http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/p564.html)?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by oldowl2; 09-08-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Riu
2004 TL

The thoughts I had was to just buy a diff box for the back wig wag. and just leave that box in the trunk in the on position. Just like my fogs, they work normally if i turn them on, will the reverse lights work normally if i go in reverse when the power switch ill have up front in the car is turned off? I would like to make this work while not interrupting my normal reverse lights as well.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:04 PM
2004, SSM, 6-speed, Navi

Received 23 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, it should work the same on the reverse lights and doing it that way will same you from damage if you ever reversed with the flasher on.

Leave it in the trunk like you said and just put a switch of your own up front coming from 12v+ and going to the flashers power wire (red). That way you only have to run 1 wire to the back too.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:54 PM
New shoes on my

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Riu, where are you going to volly? It looks like on Long Island? PM me, we'll talk. I used to install emergency lights and radios in vehicles so I can give you some ideas. I'm also a Vol. FF. I'm a Liuetenant in Truck 2 in Mineola.

Quick Reply: Joining the Volunteer Fire House in my town. Need advice on lights.