3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's Stuck In The Garage!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
SuMeRiaN - your car looks nice and shiny ...too bad that moron scraped your front bumper. Oh, and it doesn't just say Honda under the hood...it's on the windows, in the manual, on all of the parts...

brettallica - my guess would be for show, as in something they can drive if they need to look "civilized", so to speak...going to lunch with your VP and pulling up in a Jeep with 33" tires doesn't work.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:38 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
You shoulda just gave it some real gas and those rear calipers would have turned loose...

My old 2002 VW Jetta did this all the time.

Here in Northern Virginia, that salt the roads like we live in Wisconsin. During the winters, when I left the e-brake applied over a weekned after a jaunt in the salty slush, the Monday morning wake up was always a trip.

I park on a slight grade due to my driveway. I would throw it in reverse and give it a NICE bump on the throttle. BOOM!, it sounded like a gunshot when it broke loose. After that, it was fine.

I'm pretty sure yuor dealers first cource of action is to get in the car and floor it to see if he can break it loose.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brettallica
Wait a sec. Didn't you say your car was for show? I mean it looks nice, but I wouldn't guess that's a show car; it looks pretty stock on the exterior, in fact.

Please explain.
It was a poor choice of words to use on a car fanaitcs forums. The idea of showing your car never crossed my mind and even still sounds silly to me. By show I meant the vehicle is used mostly for work, driving around bosses and clients.

Hands down the Jeep is more fun. Try getting a client to climb up into a Jeep and then factor in the road noise, trust me it doesnt work.

Edit; The TL is 100% stock, the only thing I have done change the image when the car starts on NAV.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:52 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy

I'm pretty sure your dealers first course of action is to get in the car and floor it to see if he can break it loose.

That would definitely represent the "usual" professional technical ability of most dealership mechanics....

- Keep your eye out for the 50 yard skid mark they leave when they drag your TL to the stall after they burn up your tranny from performing said "diagnostics" above....
Old 05-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SuMeRiaN
It was a poor choice of words to use on a car fanaitcs forums. The idea of showing your car never crossed my mind and even still sounds silly to me. By show I meant the vehicle is used mostly for work, driving around bosses and clients.

Hands down the Jeep is more fun. Try getting a client to climb up into a Jeep and then factor in the road noise, trust me it doesnt work.

Edit; The TL is 100% stock, the only thing I have done change the image when the car starts on NAV.
No worries, bud. I was just checking. The car looks great and I love that color. Sorry to hear about the seizing, and even sorrier to hear about how the tow truck guy scraped your lower bumper.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Racer

Nice to see Im not the only 'rare usage low mileage 05.' (16k)

and yet I have a BB WJ.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by lusid
That was my initial reason for my posting of the clothing company.

Same company, different names. And as most mentioned, you can compare to other lines of clothing or even cars. Honda VS Toyota, and Lexus VS Acura. yada yada.

W/e the case, it's how he views it, and so be it, ppl will make fun of him, and he wont care. Nor should we.
Hehe! Ya I refer to my TL as a HONDA all the time... It even says so right on the windows... Toyota writes Lexus on the windows and I've wondered why Honda doesn't write Acura on the windows.

At any rate the Acura "A" is really a squished at the top "H" so that even further seals the deal for me that I drive a Honda vs. an Acura.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:35 PM
My Daily Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kennedy
You shoulda just gave it some real gas and those rear calipers would have turned loose...

My old 2002 VW Jetta did this all the time.

Here in Northern Virginia, that salt the roads like we live in Wisconsin. During the winters, when I left the e-brake applied over a weekned after a jaunt in the salty slush, the Monday morning wake up was always a trip.

I park on a slight grade due to my driveway. I would throw it in reverse and give it a NICE bump on the throttle. BOOM!, it sounded like a gunshot when it broke loose. After that, it was fine.

I'm pretty sure your dealers first course of action is to get in the car and floor it to see if he can break it loose.

Hey, whats wrong with the road salt here in WI???

HAHA.....j/k. It sucks donkey nuts up here in winter. My car just gets destroyed, but what can I do.....

Oh well, to sumerian, good luck with the dealership.....
Old 05-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by onsknth
Hehe! Ya I refer to my TL as a HONDA all the time... It even says so right on the windows... Toyota writes Lexus on the windows and I've wondered why Honda doesn't write Acura on the windows.

At any rate the Acura "A" is really a squished at the top "H" so that even further seals the deal for me that I drive a Honda vs. an Acura.
I consider my car a honda as well, although i don't verbalize it that much unless talking to those who actually understand car manufacturers. 2nd gen Tl's are inspires in japan and 2.5L 1st gens are sabers. Acura is for Americans who need a "brand status" with our rides. They are all built alongside one another at the same plant in Marysville, OH anyhow. Too bad the JDM market still doesn't have 3rd gen TL/Inspire (at least to not my knowledge). If you look at 2nd gen TL's you'll find mostly accord parts including chassis/suspension are used on the car and a few luxury items are added. The engine isn't much different either 3.2L V6 vs 3.0L V6. This is why many acura owners get away with doing JDM conversions on their cars.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
BTW, hope things work out for ya Sumerian. I personally will only use the E-brake on hills and avoid it like the plague during the winter when the roads are salty. At least it should be covered under warranty.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Advanced

Story of my life the dealership can not find any problems with the vehicle. I am assuming the tow truck driver when getting the car off the bed free'd up the locked caliber with his lead foot.

They are going to look at it again tomorrow but I doubt anything will change. It almost sounded like she didnt believe me so I asked her if she wanted the photos of the long skid mark out of the garage.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:39 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
that's a bummer.

at least it's unstuck? now... for the bumper dmg.. that's a different story.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by onsknth

Acura does write Acura now in the windows - at least on the 07-up cars.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:59 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by chill_dog
His point is Gap, Old Navy, and Banana Republic are all made by the same company...obviously there's a difference (admittedly, not to me), just as there is between Honda and Acura (but not to SuMeRiaN, I guess ).

Does the tag on banana republic say the gap on it?

get in your acura......every panel says honda on it.....americans (including myself this isn't an insult its truth) are stupid, honda knew that they wouldn't be able to sell high dollar cars under the honda name as well as they could under a different name that americans didn't know, to compete with other higher priced cars. Just put on a good front and no body will know. (just as today many ppl don't know what a lexus,acura,infinity is.) Honda wants it like this till this day, only in fine print does it mention any honda info at all, i saw more and more when i purchased my tl though.

Remember your history, the honda name in the late 80's early 90's wasn't what it is today. A fully loaded accord costs well over 30, and the s2k starts above 30 i believe. Point is honda has turned around, and people aren't ashamed to drive a honda,.....hyundai has taken hondas old spot
Old 05-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sixsixfour
Acura does write Acura now in the windows - at least on the 07-up cars.
Mine's an 06...So I guess that Acura didn't start making "Acuras" until 07.

Well, that's at least the way it is in my World.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:18 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by SuMeRiaN
Thanks I just hung up with Roadside assistance and my dealership. They will only cover the first $100.00 of the tow. The dealership I am trying to get the vehicle to is about 40 miles away
I looked at my Acura warranty booklet, and confirmed it only covers up to $100.00 for the tow. I'm very dissapointed in Acura I looked at the warrantly booklet for my Infiniti. It says there is no charge for towing service to the customer, and that your car will be towed to the nearest Infiniti dealer if one is within 250 miles. Otherwise it will be towed to an Infiniti authorized repair facility. It even says if you have a break-down more than 100 miles from your primary residence, Infinti will cover the cost of meals, lodging, rental car, and costs to return your vehicle to your primary residence when repairs are completed.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:28 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Man, I don't get you guys sometimes. I view all of this bashing of Acura "after the fact", meaning after you bought the car, as putting the cart before the horse. Why didn't you do all of this "research" before you bought the car? They had everything that is at your disposal now, available then. Of course, when you get something you are bound to discover some things that are wrong with it, and if you are just venting about that, then cool. But I love my TL or Honda or whatever the heck it is!

OP: Please make sure you let us know what that problem was. When I read threads like this I like to make notes so that if it happens to me, i have some insight. Good luck!
Old 05-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by darksom1
Man, I don't get you guys sometimes. I view all of this bashing of Acura "after the fact", meaning after you bought the car, as putting the cart before the horse. Why didn't you do all of this "research" before you bought the car? They had everything that is at your disposal now, available then. Of course, when you get something you are bound to discover some things that are wrong with it, and if you are just venting about that, then cool. But I love my TL or Honda or whatever the heck it is!

You make a good point dude (btw, im one of those people that your are referring to ). I tell you one thing thou, this car is by FAR better than some american car (sorry, i have a comfortable dislike for many american cars due to personal experiences with them except for the corvette (very-well engineered car, if only they put that kind of engineering & thought into all their vehicles!)). Anyways, I mainly bash on Acura services, and it is cuz of their services, that makes me . I think a lot of people, not all, just a good majority can relate to this. Personally, i love the engineering of the car, the engine (main reason why i bought it in the first place) and its good reputation. However, if you look up the "valve chatter" thread, the OP of that post was told that ignition ping on his Type S is normal (wtf?). But you know what,...it really does seem like EVERY auto maker, japanese included (i.e. the front runner of quality Lexus) is slipping in quality these days, so Honda/Acura is not alone. They are, however, well above average IMHO. And one thing my Dad told me was this when making a decision for a new car..."If we were to buy a comparable Lexus, it would have cost us thousands more. Acura and Lexus are basically the same quality when it comes down to the heart (engine) of the vehicle. We are basically saving thousands and getting a little bit crappier service, but hey, its an exchange, which do you want? Keep in mind that both vehicles will not go in for major overhauls, maybe minor repairs..." Oh wellllllll! LOL!
Old 05-12-2007, 11:29 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ankur914
You make a good point dude (btw, im one of those people that your are referring to ). I tell you one thing thou, this car is by FAR better than some american car (sorry, i have a comfortable dislike for many american cars due to personal experiences with them except for the corvette (very-well engineered car, if only they put that kind of engineering & thought into all their vehicles!)). Anyways, I mainly bash on Acura services, and it is cuz of their services, that makes me . I think a lot of people, not all, just a good majority can relate to this. Personally, i love the engineering of the car, the engine (main reason why i bought it in the first place) and its good reputation. However, if you look up the "valve chatter" thread, the OP of that post was told that ignition ping on his Type S is normal (wtf?). But you know what,...it really does seem like EVERY auto maker, japanese included (i.e. the front runner of quality Lexus) is slipping in quality these days, so Honda/Acura is not alone. They are, however, well above average IMHO. And one thing my Dad told me was this when making a decision for a new car..."If we were to buy a comparable Lexus, it would have cost us thousands more. Acura and Lexus are basically the same quality when it comes down to the heart (engine) of the vehicle. We are basically saving thousands and getting a little bit crappier service, but hey, its an exchange, which do you want? Keep in mind that both vehicles will not go in for major overhauls, maybe minor repairs..." Oh wellllllll! LOL!
Yeah, good point. I have heard horror stories about the service on here. I hope I never have to deal with that adversity when it comes to them "standing behind their product". But I will, don't get me wrong, get after them! So far so good at my dealership!