Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Internal Components

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 09:38 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Internal Components

Hey all. Question. can anyone tell me exactly what type of metals does Honda use in their engines, particularly the Acura's (NSX, TL, RL etc.)? I know generally that it is an Aluminum engine, but for example what are the piston rings made out of? How about connecting rods and other internal combustion components? Do they use Magnesium and Titanium? Or are these types of Metals typically found on Higher end Automobiles? Also Why SOCH as opposed to DOCH for the TL? What are the diffrences say in the Tolerance specifications of Honda relative to GM, Ford, Chrysler?

What makes the Japanese Automobile have such a far superior track record in comparison to the domestics?

Answers anyone? . . . . . .
Old 08-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by cirrus18
Hey all. Question. can anyone tell me exactly what type of metals does Honda use in their engines, particularly the Acura's (NSX, TL, RL etc.)? I know generally that it is an Aluminum engine, but for example what are the piston rings made out of? How about connecting rods and other internal combustion components? Do they use Magnesium and Titanium? Or are these types of Metals typically found on Higher end Automobiles? Also Why SOCH as opposed to DOCH for the TL? What are the diffrences say in the Tolerance specifications of Honda relative to GM, Ford, Chrysler?

What makes the Japanese Automobile have such a far superior track record in comparison to the domestics?

Answers anyone? . . . . . .
I'm not so sure the Japanese cars have a far superior track record in comparison to the domestics going on personal experience. Try making 600rwhp on stock internals in the TL and then it would be worth discussing...
Old 08-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Instructor

i know nothing of internal mechanics or components, but i don't think it's correct to measure the quality of an engine by how much power it can handle due to aftermarket mods. if it works as advertised and is dependable (i.e. honda/acura), then that is quality.
of course, if it DOES allow modifications and can handle more power, great...that's a bonus...but not a limiting factor if it can't. i'm sure they could make it a lot tougher than it is, but would 99% of us want to pay for such high "quality" if we never mod the car?
Old 08-11-2007, 10:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by paradigm
i know nothing of internal mechanics or components, but i don't think it's correct to measure the quality of an engine by how much power it can handle due to aftermarket mods. if it works as advertised and is dependable (i.e. honda/acura), then that is quality.
of course, if it DOES allow modifications and can handle more power, great...that's a bonus...but not a limiting factor if it can't. i'm sure they could make it a lot tougher than it is, but would 99% of us want to pay for such high "quality" if we never mod the car?
I know. Just too tired to type out a response to the original poster and not sure if it's for real or just to stir things up.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:31 AM
8th Gear

Smile Internal Components

Hey all. Question. can anyone tell me exactly what type of metals does Honda use in their engines, particularly the Acura's (NSX, TL, RL etc.)? I know generally that it is an Aluminum engine, but for example what are the piston rings made out of? How about connecting rods and other internal combustion components? Do they use Magnesium and Titanium? Or are these types of Metals typically found on Higher end Automobiles? Also Why SOCH as opposed to DOCH for the TL? What are the differences say in the Tolerance specifications of Honda relative to GM, Ford, Chrysler? Are there major differences in Tolerance specs between the Big 3 domestics and Honda(Acura), Nissan(Infiniti), Toyota(Lexus)

What makes the Japanese Automobile have such a far superior track record (at least in the past 10yrs it would seem arguably) in comparison to the domestics?

I am Not trying to start a debate for the fans of the domestics, I just have an appreciation for Mechanical Engineering, Science and Technology. I have an 04 TL with Nav. myself. I joined Acurazine sometime ago after purchasing my TL and thought I could get some answers here. so far on other post I just got others who either doubt that Japanese Big Three are actually better than the domestics or did not know much about the internal metal composites that are used within the Acura autombiles. I guess my next step is to just schedule a tour of the Honda facility and inquire with the Engineers there. Just thought I could get answers with some of us car geeks before hand.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Answers anyone? . . . . .
Old 08-14-2007, 10:36 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I could swear someone asked this already o_O
Old 08-14-2007, 10:38 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
here.. watch the videos on this site - it may give you the details you're looking for, they have info on their drive systems, engines, vtec, turbo, direct injection, etc.

http://world.honda.com/HDTV/